Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

The Kotick Equation

pepsicolagirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By pepsicolagirl

This is a blog I just posted, but I thought it'd be interesting to see what everyone else thinks: 

So apparently ‘Infinity Ward’, a small time development studio you’ve probably never heard of, has suddenly undergone a slightly drastic staff rearrangement. The creators of such indie darlings as 2003’s ‘Call of Duty’ and 2009’s ‘out-of-nowhere’ hit ‘Modern Warfare 2’ – you’ll be forgiven if you find yourself trailing off, thinking that “If I wanted obscure industry news and speculative jargon I’d start answering Michael Pachter’s incessant phone calls” – but bare with me. 

Why? Because jokes aside, this is huge news. Which of course, you already knew. But without going into the nitty gritty and waxing philosophic, It’s nearly impossible to consider this news without reminding yourself of Activision’s nearly gargantuan list of grievous PR offenses, thinly veiled corporatizing motives  and of course; the company’s continuing distain for the actual practitioners of the industry – the artists that create our entertainment and the consumers who revel in it.  

Far be it from me to add to the nuclear intensity of the anti-Activision fire, but I find impossible to stop myself from wondering where all of this ends. What or where is the logical point at which the world’s biggest publisher - and presumably the most profitable entity in the video game industry - stops and reflects on how utterly impossible it is to run an industry of artists, scientists and geeks like it was a cheap third world factory of zombies, hungry for brains. And not even fresh brains.

Naive I may be, but aren’t all of the aforementioned in at least some way, fundamentally intellectuals? It seems so painstakingly clear that the creative and explorative nature of Video Games, probably the most rapidly developing medium in the world for well over a decade now – is strikingly at odds with the callous, stagnant and business orientated methodology governing the Activision M.O. 

But perhaps the most interesting problem here has nothing to do with Activision. Perhaps the most troubling thing is simply not knowing what to do about it all. What on earth can one gamer do? It’s hard to imagine Jean-Luc Picard knowingly nodding away at the subtle magnificence of the corporate gaming worlds cut and dry approach to gutting ideas and selling out creative talents while rapidly diminishing the quality of the consumers end product (i.e. the Guitar Hero franchise and of course, the fate of Red Octane) – but it’s almost just as hard to imagine the seminal Starfleet captain’s rousing speech and knowing smile as he outlines exactly how we will unite to drive the nefarious corporations back into the depths of Cardassian space. 

In fact, I think Jean-Luc himself sums it up well;     

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Not so much your thoughts, but more the fact that it's a wall of already known facts.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Toxin066

A businessman trying to capitalize on something that makes money? WHAT?

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By bhhawks78

Corporations are out to make money.  He didn't rely on overseas sweatshop labor, blatantly steal tax payer money, or sexually harass anyone.  Also he actually makes his company profitable so he is in the top third of good guy super rich CEOs in my book.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Leptok

I'd say this just about sums it up.

No Caption Provided
    jaxxduece

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jaxxduece

First of all, that was a very well written post. 
    Second, I do not believe we know the whole story. Of course we are going to feel sorry for Jason and Vince, especially with Kotick being such a douche, but, in the end, we dont know the whole story. The evil conglomerate, Activision, is an easy target.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RsistncE
    @Leptok said:
    "
    No Caption Provided
    "
    Incredible.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Geno
    @Leptok said:

" I'd say this just about sums it up.

No Caption Provided
    "
    Lol. So true. 
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rockdalf
    @bhhawks78 said:
    " Corporations are out to make money.  He didn't rely on overseas sweatshop labor, blatantly steal tax payer money, or sexually harass anyone.  Also he actually makes his company profitable so he is in the top third of good guy super rich CEOs in my book. "
    Agreed.  He's there to make money and if you're looking for anything resembling a heart, you'll probably be looking for a while.  Sure they were talented developers, but Activision obviously wouldn't fire them unless it was in there best interest to do so.  If they were incredible assets to IW, it makes you wonder what exactly they did that was so bad that got them fired in the first place.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Toxin066 said:
    " A businessman trying to capitalize on something that makes money? WHAT? "
    There's a wealth of difference between a business person trying to capitalise on success to breed more success and what Kottick is doing in stating that he hates developers and gamers alike.  It's a good thing to be successful, it's a bad thing to be an asshole while doing so.  I know that might run against your mindless capitalist dogma but it's true.  There are many ways to make money which don't involve insulting and mistreating your employees and audience in the same breath.   Kottick should just leave the industry before the bad karma gives him cancer.  It would be better for everyone involved.
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Rockdalf
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Toxin066 said:
    There's a wealth of difference between a business person trying to capitalise on success to breed more success and what Kottick is doing in stating that he hates developers and gamers alike.  It's a good thing to be successful, it's a bad thing to be an asshole while doing so.  I know that might run against your mindless capitalist dogma but it's true.  There are many ways to make money which don't involve insulting and mistreating your employees and audience in the same breath.   Kottick should just leave the industry before the bad karma gives him cancer.  It would be better for everyone involved. "
    When I want hugs, I usually call up my mama.  When I want good video games, I look to people who only care about putting out good video games.  There is no other relationship between me and Kotick.  If the games he throws and Activision label on begin to deteriorate in quality, I'll stop buying them. (Speaking of which, I'm probably not going to buy another MW game as I didn't enjoy this one anywhere near as much as the first).
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By spazmaster666
    @SeriouslyNow said:

There's a wealth of difference between a business person trying to capitalise on success to breed more success and what Kottick is doing in stating that he hates developers and gamers alike.  It's a good thing to be successful, it's a bad thing to be an asshole while doing so.  I know that might run against your mindless capitalist dogma but it's true.  There are many ways to make money which don't involve insulting and mistreating your employees and audience in the same breath.   Kottick should just leave the industry before the bad karma gives him cancer.  It would be better for everyone involved. "

It's interesting that you mention this considering how much trash IW guys have talked about Activision in the past. I think both sides have made some bad decisions in this whole debacle. Also I may not be a big fan of Kotick's personality but he's a businessman. His job as a CEO isn't to appease the fanbase, it's to make sure his company stays profitable.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bhhawks78 said:
    " He didn't rely on overseas sweatshop labor, blatantly steal tax payer money, or sexually harass anyone.. "
    Or did he?
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By meteora
    @xobballox said:
    " @bhhawks78 said:
    " He didn't rely on overseas sweatshop labor, blatantly steal tax payer money, or sexually harass anyone.. "
    Or did he? "
    I think this man is onto something.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Rockdalf said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Toxin066 said:
    When I want hugs, I usually call up my mama.  When I want good video games, I look to people who only care about putting out good video games.  There is no other relationship between me and Kotick.  If the games he throws and Activision label on begin to deteriorate in quality, I'll stop buying them. (Speaking of which, I'm probably not going to buy another MW game as I didn't enjoy this one anywhere near as much as the first). "
    When I want any product I want to know that the people who made have an active interest in their audience which stretches beyond the retail counter and whatever microtransactions using said product might entail.  This is important to me because it speaks volumes about the quality of the product.  

I don't especially need to know how said company who produces said product feels about me but when said head of said company makes it quite clear that he or she dislikes the type of person who purchases the products which said company produces, that puts the products and the company in a certain distasteful and untrustworthy light for me because I have trouble believing that the company can produce good products if they dislike the audience which they are aiming for.

@spazmaster666 said:
    " It's interesting that you mention this considering how much trash IW guys have talked about Activision in the past. I think both sides have made some bad decisions in this whole debacle. Also I may not be a big fan of Kotick's personality but he's a businessman. His job as a CEO isn't to appease the fanbase, it's to make sure his company stays profitable. "
    Firstlty, it's not a debacle it's a lawsuit.  We have yet to hear Activision's legal response, so let's wait for that before we go naming names.  Kotick's job is the same as any CEO.  He is the corporate face of the company.  After their fall from grace with the Newton and Tower Computing which left them almost penniless Apple didn't re-employ Steve Jobs because of his great ideas, the failure of NeXT is proof of that, they employed him because to the public and especially to the Apple fanbase he is the 'face of Apple'.  Kottick doesn't have to appease the fanbase but he certainly shouldn't insult them either.  Insulting your customers is not good business.
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ryax

the jokes about them being indie were funny until the second one. 

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By spazmaster666
    @SeriouslyNow said:

Kottick doesn't have to appease the fanbase but he certainly shouldn't insult them either.  Insulting your customers is not good business. "

Modern Warfare and it's over $1 billion worth of sales says otherwise. Look, obviously insulting customers isn't a good thing but the only people who care are either fanboys or the fraction of the hardcore audience that actually gets offended by businessman talking business. It's not going to affect the other 95% of the the customers from buying their branded titles.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By meteora
    @spazmaster666 said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:

Kottick doesn't have to appease the fanbase but he certainly shouldn't insult them either.  Insulting your customers is not good business. "

Modern Warfare and it's over $1 billion worth of sales says otherwise. Look, obviously insulting customers isn't a good thing but the only people who care are either fanboys or the fraction of the hardcore audience that actually gets offended by businessman talking business. It's not going to affect the other 95% of the the customers from buying their branded titles. "
    Partly true. Most customers probably aren't nearly as informed as we are, but there is actually a significant number of us who are informed. I'd say the percentage is much higher, about 20% or so. Modern Warfare 2 had 4 million pirated copies on the PC and furthermore another million on the 360, I'm sure at least a fraction of them were doing that to boycott the dedicated servers. There's also other examples such as Spore where people pirated it to avoid the DRM.

Also you have to take into other considerations. If all your friends boycott a certain game that they were expecting to get, you're more unlikely to buy the game for the sole reason no one would be playing with you. Peer pressure. Probably only accounts for a few hundred thousands, but every counts in the big picture.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @spazmaster666 said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:

Modern Warfare and it's over $1 billion worth of sales says otherwise. Look, obviously insulting customers isn't a good thing but the only people who care are either fanboys or the fraction of the hardcore audience that actually gets offended by businessman talking business. It's not going to affect the other 95% of the the customers from buying their branded titles. "
    Modern Warfare was a hit and that happened without Kottick's commentary.  Modern Warfare 2 is a hit, surrounded by controversy and now a legal dispute and all of that happened with Kottick's influence, both in the press and within the company he represents as CEO.  We can't know the knockon effects his influence and commentary will have but they sure aren't looking good for Activision, the fanbase or the industry at large right now.  This legal dispute could mean the end of modern COD games.
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By spazmaster666
    @Meteora said:

Partly true. Most customers probably aren't nearly as informed as we are, but there is actually a significant number of us who are informed. I'd say the percentage is much higher, about 20% or so. Modern Warfare 2 had 4 million pirated copies on the PC and furthermore another million on the 360, I'm sure at least a fraction of them were doing that to boycott the dedicated servers. There's also other examples such as Spore where people pirated it to avoid the DRM.  Also you have to take into other considerations. If all your friends boycott a certain game that they were expecting to get, you're more unlikely to buy the game for the sole reason no one would be playing with you. Peer pressure. Probably only accounts for a few hundred thousands, but every counts in the big picture. "

Well the thing is, even within the 20% that actually read and care about these stories, most of them will probably end up buying the game anyway. Think back to MW2 on the PC and how many people complained and said they would boycott the game. Well, a large number of those people ended up buying the game anyway. Saying you're going to boycott something and actually doing it are completely different beasts (i.e. idealism vs practicality). And honestly in the end, all that matters to me is whether or not the game is good. I could care less whether or not Kotick has an engaging personality. As for the mainstream, well that's what marketing budgets are for.

@SeriouslyNow

said:

Modern Warfare was a hit and that happened without Kottick's commentary.  Modern Warfare 2 is a hit, surrounded by controversy and now a legal dispute and all of that happened with Kottick's influence, both in the press and within the company he represents as CEO.  We can't know the knockon effects his influence and commentary will have but they sure aren't looking good for Activision, the fanbase or the industry at large right now.  This legal dispute could mean the end of modern COD games. "

So you're saying that if a year and half from now (let's say Holiday 2012), when MW3 comes out (which it almost definitely will), that people are still going to remember all this and still care? As others have mentioned previously, most of the people who bought MW probably don't even know/care that IW was the developer. Not to mention that West and Zampella weren't exactly low men on the totem pole and that the lawsuit seems to be ultimately about money.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @spazmaster666 said:
    " So you're saying that if a year and half from now (let's say Holiday 2012), when MW3 comes out (which it almost definitely will), that people are still going to remember all this and still care? As others have mentioned previously, most of the people who bought MW probably don't even know/care that IW was the developer. Not to mention that West and Zampella weren't exactly low men on the totem pole and that the lawsuit seems to be ultimately about money. "
    I don't think I need a translator, but thanks for the offer.  I made myself quite clear.  The lawsuit is about false allegations and unpaid agreed monies based on a MOU which was part of meetings which Activision held with Infinity Ward in the developmental stages of MW2, so yes, of course it's about money.  What kind of lawsuit isn't?  West and Zampella were the co owners and co chairs of Infinity Ward and only signed on to do MW2 on the proviso that their positions of independence would not come under corporate fire.  The case surrounds the MOU in question which explicitly states that IW retain rights of control and ownership of any COD game set post Vietnam, in the present and in the future, so MW3 may never actually see release at all if Acti's lawyers decide to pretend that such a document never existed or instead choose to drop the whole brand name altogether rather than having to pay out what they owe to West and Zampelli.  Do some research and don't pretend to simplify this ordeal just because you choose not to want to understand it.
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By spazmaster666
    @SeriouslyNow said:

I don't think I need a translator, but thanks for the offer.  I made myself quite clear.  The lawsuit is about false allegations and unpaid agreed monies based on a MOU which was part of meetings which Activision held with Infinity Ward in the developmental stages of MW2, so yes, of course it's about money.  What kind of lawsuit isn't?  West and Zampella were the co owners and co chairs of Infinity Ward and only signed on to do MW2 on the proviso that their positions of independence would not come under corporate fire.  The case surrounds the MOU in question which explicitly states that IW retain rights of control and ownership of any COD game set post Vietnam, in the present and in the future, so MW3 may never actually see release at all if Acti's lawyers decide to pretend that such a document never existed or instead choose to drop the whole brand name altogether rather than having to pay out what they owe to West and Zampelli.  Do some research and don't pretend to simplify this ordeal just because you choose not to want to understand it. "

Yes, I've read the lawsuit and aside from the fact that it wasn't very well written from a legal perspective (too much bombast, not enough objectivity) It says that IW retains creative control (and that any Modern Warfare titled game can't be released without their agreement), not that it actually owns the Call of Duty IP. So Activision can potentially release MW3 with CoD in the title, they just probably won't call it "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3", even if it turns to be exactly that. That is of course assuming that the MOU is declared by the court to be legally binding. There's also nothing complicated at all about this "ordeal." West and Zampella want their $36 million check. Sure they're also suing for other things, but do you really think they would have filed a lawsuit if it money was not involved? Not all lawsuits are about money. But this one clearly is, even if West and Zampella don't necessarily want it to be spun that way. Of course that's just my opinion.
    Lambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lambert

Activision/Kodick = Evil

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Getz
    @Leptok: awesome dude, just awesome
    DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By DocHaus

Yeah, maybe we should spread the word out to boycott Activision. Hell, start up an internet petition.

[pause for laugh track]

Then I remember what happened the last time...

No Caption Provided
    The moral of the story: Mock Kotick all you want, but as long as you keep buying his shit, he will have no reason to change his self-described strategy of churning out franchises for exploitative purposes. I put my money elsewhere, but I bet you that at least half of the people currently screaming about how evil and unfair Activision is have paid money to own/play COD:MW2 or will continue to buy Activision titles in the future with their (or their parents) money.

Here's where I'd add something like "vote with your wallet," but I'm just one guy, and my "vote" here is worth about as much as one vote to single-handedly change the US Congress.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.