Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

The Reason MW2's Multiplayer is broken-

Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Ferginator4k

Short answer : Because its not balanced.

Long answer : i Think its not balanced because the Modern Warfare gameplay is designed to be very cinematic, with The Player being the badass special ops guy or the Hardened Marine fighting in the middle east, And to make it more cinematic,fun and to save effort with making AI Infinity Ward made the AI distincly inferior to the player to help this in single playerr, but this doesnt translate across to multiplayer where all players are trying to basically be the hero and i think this lead to the imbalanced multiplayer.

Why do you think the multiplayer is broken.

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By eric_buck

I don't think the multiplayer is broken. Questions should end with a question mark ;)

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By nanikore

The multiplayer isn't broken. 

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ArchScabby

First I don't think the mulitplayer is broken.

Second, Your reason makes no sense anyway.  Everyone playing has the same chances or abilities as everyone else.  Its not like one team is Stupid AI types while the other is smart people.  They are all people, who can think and react.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

These threads are always fun.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Geno

That reasoning would mean the multiplayer of every game with a single player component is broken. 

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Leptok

It's not broken, just bad. Caters to simpletons.

danguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By danguy

I don't believe it's broken, or unbalanced.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By PerryVandell

I like how when people don't like a game, the call it "broken" because there's no chance that it could just be they aren't very good at the game. If anyone has something to complain about the multiplayer, it's the amount of glitches that got through. I personally believe that many of these could've been found and fixed with a multiplayer beta like the one they had for cod 4. However when people use excuses like "The multiplayer is unbalanced, that speaks more of your ability rather than the game's mechanics.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Marz

i don't really play anymore because i got into too many hacked lobbies back when i was playing.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By aurahack

It's not broken, but it's retarded unbalanced. I've moved onto Bad Company 2 since it's launch, but I randomly played a game with my friend for shits and giggles only to be decimated by dudes no-scoping with sniper rifles and eating us alive with Chopper Gunners. It's not an "I suck" case, I assume that considering I played it for 8 days worth or something and still manage to have the best k/d and accuracy rating on my friends list :/ My experience with the game is just dudes trying anything and everything to cheat their way into getting faster killstreaks. It's no fun. 

That, and I can't go back to any other shooter now that I'm so used to BC2's Spot button.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

They just need to get rid of stopping power, then the game is perfect.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Doctorchimp

MW2 is not broken.

It's just not built with competition in mind. Once you get past that and realize that the game truly is all about just having dumb fun instead of skill based showdowns or special strategies you'll see why the multiplayer is actually pretty good.

If you wanna see balanced multiplayer and have your skill and speed be put to the test on a console, that's where you dust off that Halo 3 disk and pop it in. Or wait for Reach...

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iam3green

the game is kind of broken. the only problem with it is that the server connections. sometimes u will be playing and somebody will disconnect and the person who disconnected being the host. u have to wait for the server to pick a new host and if there is no host then it is just going to bring u to the lobby. after the lobby it will search for some more people. other times when searching it will say can't migrate host it will cause problems. some people have lag switches so if they are host they will just screw some people up. 

the game is completely fair in some ways. everyone has most of the same perks. when u unlock pro it adds little to the game play.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RsistncE

Who cares? The game is a pile of pig shit. I'll go play some good games thank you.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @Marz said:
    " i don't really play anymore because i got into too many hacked lobbies back when i was playing. "
    I am with you. Although odds for most players encountering it is low but when it happens, it's so discouraging when it happens that you wanna quit; for me I can't quit until the intermission.
    Avatar image for aestheticsynthesis
    AestheticSynthesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing that needs a lot of work is the spawn system.

They should also sit back and think, "Why is it that we have heartbeat sensors, chainguns on humvees, and indestructible shields... yet we still feature shotguns made in the late 1800's?"

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By meteora

Multiplayer isn't broken. The only time it ever was broken was the Model 1887s, but even then it wasn't a "no brainer gun" that people would use in all circumstances and scenarios.

If it was truly broken then millions would stop playing altogether. The MW2 fans seem to really be obnoxious (sp?) and seem to bitch just about every little thing, but here's the thing. THEY PLAY THE GAME ON A REGULAR BASIS! Its a stupid fan thing. Even a person like me who enjoys playing the game, vocally express my frustration over certain perk builds or the lag. I think it helps me calm myself by being vocal sometimes. Thankfully I only do that to friends and not strangers.

TorgoGrooves89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TorgoGrooves89

I'm not sure i would say it's broken because you can still have a lot of fun with it, though i definitly agree that it is unbalanced. Any game that rewards someone who is already kicking your ass with the means to do so with even more ease (chopper gunner and ac-130) hasn't quite got everything figured out properly. That said, whenever it's you on the decimating end of one of those killstreaks the game suddenly becomes fun all over again. It's deliberatly designed that way to keep you playing it, but it in the end it's more hassle than it's worth.
    tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tunaburn

dual wielding shotguns, heartbeat sensors, one man army with danger close and noob tubes, knife attachments letting you fly around and stab people like the fucking sword on halo.... the list goes on and on and on

Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Chyro
    @Meteora: 

I don't think they would quit.    People bitch about their games all the time and still play it.  If you have ever played a MMO, and looked at the forums people bitch about their class 24/7.  Or another person's class.  But yet they still play.

I do think it's a little broken.  Chopper gunner is too damn good.  And see above for more.  Really one man army with danger close and grenade launchers.  No thanks,  Ill just play some BFBC2.
    Jordan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jordan23

The multiplayer isn't broken, IW has simplified the gameplay for all newcomers alike.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By meteora
    @Chyro: I'm sorry but BC2 could be regarded as broken as well. If you don't remember the Assault Class have ammo packs and can just sit there all day firing their grenade launchers with their grenade and explosive perks. The shotgun range in BC2 is at sniper levels (literally) and makes the Model 1887 look like some weak ass shotgun that's functioning normally. And the vast amount of snipers just mortaring the shit out of everything pretty much breaks the game in its own ways. Perhaps not nearly as noticeable or broken, but there are game design flaws with BC2. And this is coming from a regular player of BC2 who's been taking a break from MW2.

And really Chopper Gunners are considered nothing if a good pilot in BC2 flies around just about spawn raping everyone in Atamata Desert (sp?). I fucking hate that map. -_-

Note that I'm also a little biased because I hate the BC2 fanbase for jumping on the bandwagon of "MW2 sucks and BC2 is where its at" in just about all their posts, which annoys the shit out of me. I'm still a fan of both series. You can see my posts in BC2's forums.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Meteora: 
    Grenade spamming is not a problem because the game has vehicles, the splash damage and radius is smaller and the maps are much much bigger. Grenade spam works up to a point, but it will only get you so far, good players will still be owning your ass all day long with pistols, grenade launcher or no.
    The thing is that with the shotguns in BFBC2 you need to be using both your perks to make them effective at long range magnum and sabot rounds. Even then the shotgun loose all spread, at that point you are firing just one bullet, which can still not 1 shot you unless it's a head shot. Your shotgun basically becomes a gimped sniper without a scope. The number of people using shotguns like that is insane small because it's hard to actually do in practice.
    Mortars are effective against people who are too slow to move out of the way, or against other snipers. There is a loud shells coming down sound for a reason, to let you move out. Mortars are good when you need to suppress that Mcom or destroy cover or building, but the number of times I have been killed with it is negligible.
    Problem  with chopper gunner is that any noob can just push that damn fire button while aiming at people and spawn trap an entire team. In BFBC2 if you want your helicopter to stay in the air for any amont of time you actually need to be a Good pilot (which not everyone is). Not only that but you cannot be a chopper pilot and solo mow down people, you still neeed gunners. Plus of course you can spawn on teammates so that spawn traping is less of an issue.

Also I do not think MW2 sucks. I have played and love both games.
    MW2 for singleplayer/spec-ops/ranks.
    BFBC2 for pure multiplayer experience.
    Both have their share of issues too.
    NickyDubz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By NickyDubz
    @aurahack:  how is a team no scoping you cheating? or am i not getting the full context of your post?  Sorry for any misunderstanding.
    tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By tmthomsen

The multiplayer is fun. Shut up and play! ;)

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

The Multiplayer isn't broken the spawn system has a few problems but thats about it.
    Otherwise glitches, and hacks were brought about by a multitude of rampent hackers looking to break the game for no more of a reason they were pissed off it didn't have dedicated servers and mod tools.

Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Chyro
    @Meteora: 

I agree BC2 does have its share of problems.  To be honest, I just don't like the camping that takes place in MW2.  In MW1 I was the guy that used Juggernaut.  Yeah, that's right.  I fucking loved Juggernaut.  When you have to pass every bodies hiding spots and all the claymores and all the snipers it was useful to close.  I know camping is a strategy.  Well so was Juggernaut.  That's what the perk was for.  1 on 1 fighting.  You can still do well as a close range player, see the multitude of all knife videos on youtube.   I just didn't want to run around the whole map just so some dude would spawn behind me and knife me.  It's just way to easy to sit in one place with a  grenade launcher and rack up kills.
    fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By fwylo

I don't think the multiplayer is broken at all.  There are things wrong with the game in general.  But as long as it isn't an exploit, then a strategy is a strategy.  I never used an exploit once when I played, and was constantly on the top of the scoreboard, even when others were choosing to "cheat".  People need to stop whining and grow up.

BboyFlex09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BboyFlex09

I think the multiplayer is fine people are just way to picky

BBOYFLEX09  _ AoR Clan_ find me on Xboxlive :-)

SquadBroken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SquadBroken

I think the killstreaks ruin the game. 

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#32  Edited By EpicSteve

You don't play as the Marines, you play as the Army Rangers or the 141. ;)

Anyhow, it's not broken at all. People are just very good at it which is why I can't play that game anymore.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RobotHamster

It's broken because its terrible. 
    And I wasn't bad at the game, I would have many +20 games but there's shit splattered all over the place in that game. 
    There are way more fun games and its just way overhyped.

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By thedj93

I think this thread is broken.

I don't really like MW2 though, but only cause I'm bad at it

Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
    Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

@thedj93:

You win the Gold Star for living in reality and being honest.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jkz
    @Doctorchimp said:
    " MW2 is not broken. It's just not built with competition in mind. Once you get past that and realize that the game truly is all about just having dumb fun instead of skill based showdowns or special strategies you'll see why the multiplayer is actually pretty good.  If you wanna see balanced multiplayer and have your skill and speed be put to the test on a console, that's where you dust off that Halo 3 disk and pop it in. Or wait for Reach... "
    Or, you know, play some Counter-Strike, which is still the ace of competitive multiplayer. 

Funnily enough, the whole idea of a competitive multiplayer game is that you eliminate as many factors as possible, so that the game basically boils down to player skill. That's why I laugh when people complain about MW2 on the basis of it not being competitive (I have other reasons for not liking it): the game is built solely to give players as much cool-shit to play with as possible, and that approach is entirely counter to the bare-bones approach required to make a truly competitive multi-player game.
    Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Djeffers03

Im sorry  for youtube spamming in advance but THIS is one of the many reasons why multiplayer is broken: 

Ally264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ally264
    @nanikore said:
    " The multiplayer isn't broken.  "
    KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#39  Edited By KingBroly
    @Djeffers03

wow...
    yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By yakov456
    @DanGuy said:
    " I don't believe it's broken, or unbalanced. "
    I would have to disagree, I believe it's terribly unbalanced. When chopper after chopper after air strike after harrier after whatever the fuck the big plane is with the gun, the game starts to feel a bit, I don't know, lame and cheesy. For the average person who doesn't want to waste time reading  and learning about how to exploit certain levels/perks/ks rewards this game can be incredibly frustrating.
    Azrail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Azrail

u guys cant even tell when a game isnt balanced =(

Superman64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#42  Edited By Superman64

I don't know if I would say it's broken...but it's douchebag friendly. The commando perk, or as my friends and I call it...the Halo perk, is ridiculous.  Danger Close mixed with One Man Army and infinite grenades for noob tubes is terrible (As that one guy showed in a earlier post with that video). The heartbeat monitor is basically a camper's wet dream. 

And I agree it seems dumb to reward people who are already kicking ass the ability to kick more ass easier with killstreak rewards. At the very least kills earned during killstreaks shouldn't count towards your next reward. You should actually have to kill people with your gun to get it. Kind of  like how care package/emergency air drop rewards don't count.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.