This game would be better without Stopping Power.

#1 Posted by Baillie (4175 posts) -

If MW2 didn't have stopping power, this game would be so much more diverse. Plus, it'd make everyone on a level playing ground. I hate trying to differentiate my perks knowing that if I get into a firefight with someone who has stopping power, I'm most likely going to lose. 

I don't see why they put this perk in the game, it's stupid and overpowered. 

They also need to have SitRep Pro cancel out Ninja Pro, seeing as how it doesn't no one uses it, but if it did, you'd see more variety in that perk set too, don't you agree? 

Anyway, just wanted to get my point across. Anyone agree with me?

#2 Posted by Sammichman (119 posts) -

No it wouldn't. Guns are still 3 shot kills on average and you don't need it to win, if you use something like hardline or cold blooded you just have to change how you play. 
SitRep Pro is not used cause it's so hard to get and people just don't care enough. 
MW2 is junk, needs a whole bunch of patches.

#3 Posted by Baillie (4175 posts) -
@Sammichman: You clearly haven't played enough without stopping power if that is your argument. Unlike you I don't run around with an M16 or ump45 with stopping power. Most guns take a lot more than 3 bullets. With any other perk, it's hard to pull off a kill against someone at distance and moving, stopping power will take them down quickly. 

SitRep pro isn't used because it doesn't let you hear people with ninja pro, which makes the whole point of that perk useless. People would go out of their way to get the pro version if it was actually useful.
#4 Posted by Berezov (504 posts) -

If it starts getting to a point where we are taking bullet count:perk ratios then you are thinking way too hard about this game.

#5 Edited by Cramsy (1168 posts) -

I don't think it's too bad. I mean, the other 'red' perks are about as equally as powerful, granted that you use them in the right way. Chuck on marathon, cold blooded and ninja and you're basically unstoppable. You'll end up breaking the game and running behind spawns which avoids the 1 on 1, twitch based encounters. This leaves you free to shoot your 'under powered' bullets all over the place.

Hardline? You'll pretty much have a constant UAV going. You'll be able to find guys with stopping power and be able to beat them 1 on 1, theres no game of reactions because you know where they are.  

#6 Posted by Sammichman (119 posts) -
@Baillie: I have actualy played without stopping power a fair bit. I hate the M16 and use a lightweight marathon combo for the ump. I would advise using the AUG or RPD without stopping power. The FAL with holographic is also a nice choice as the holographic actually adds some damage. The FAMAS is also a good choice with hardline and scavenger as with two bursts you're almost guaranteed to take down anyone at any distance. I say the FAMAS over the M16 because it fires quicker and has a longer ranger and just person preference. If you're having trouble with distance try holographic sights as they add a bit of auto-aim. Regardless MW2 has more issues than just stopping power (guns with silencers still showing up on the map and guns with sights that aren't correct).
#7 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

Are we still seriously crying about call of  duty?

#8 Posted by Cramsy (1168 posts) -
@Roflwaffles said:

@Sammichman:  It's actually better to use stopping power on the FAL with the Holo attachment. The only effect stopping power has on the FAL (without holographic sight) is it makes headshots 1 hit kills. With the holographic sight and stopping power, the FAL kills in a maximum of 2 hits at any range. "
aren't they one hit anyway? 
#9 Posted by natetodamax (19207 posts) -
@Cramsy said:
" @Roflwaffles said:

@Sammichman:  It's actually better to use stopping power on the FAL with the Holo attachment. The only effect stopping power has on the FAL (without holographic sight) is it makes headshots 1 hit kills. With the holographic sight and stopping power, the FAL kills in a maximum of 2 hits at any range. "
aren't they one hit anyway?  "
Not every gun kills in one hit to head. The M4, for example, takes at least 2 shots to the head to kill a person.
#10 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -

I agree, I'd also like to see the blast shield made more effective, instead most of the time you're lucky if it works, and it stops the ability to use the radar.

#11 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -
@Baillie said:
 I hate trying to differentiate my perks knowing that if I get into a firefight with someone who has stopping power, I'm most likely going to lose.
If you are using any perk in the red category other than Stopping Power you probably shouldn't be employing a strategy that involves getting into a 1v1 firefight.  Lightweight?  Good - flank them, shoot them in the back before they even see you.  Cold-Blooded?  You're probably pairing it up with a silenced gun, same deal - kill them before they have a chance to shoot back.  Danger close?  An RPG shot in the other teams general direction with this perk is going to win. 
#12 Posted by Ninjakid7396 (291 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" Are we still seriously crying about call of  duty? "

#13 Posted by Bass (692 posts) -

I agree taking stopping power out would help a lot. However, there are a lot of guns that don't need stopping power at all. The ump basically doesn't benefit from the use of stopping power unless you are within a tight range. To me, the scar and tar dont need stopping power, but they both benefit. If you play a campy playstyle and most of your encounters occur at long range, the ACR and M4 dont need stopping power. The RPD, AUG HBAR, and L86 are all 3 shot kills at any distance w/o stopping power (though, w/ stopping power, they are two shot kills at any range, about the only way I'll use them). The FAL only benefits from stopping power if you use the holographic sight.  If you use a sniper rifle, the W2000 recieves no benefit from using stopping power, unless you are going for fmj kills. 
Guns that beg for stopping power imo include the mp5k, vector, spas, Ak-47, 30 damage LMGs, intervention, famas/m16, F2000, Model 1887(s), and most (machine) pistols. 

However, Cold-blooded and Lightweight have advantages of their own. And, I don't use it, but Danger Close is ever popular.

#14 Posted by Gearhead (2251 posts) -
@Ninjakid7396 said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" Are we still seriously crying about call of  duty? "
"
I agree with this topic's sentiment, but I stopped playing MW2 months ago and have since sold the game out of pure disgust for the online game and the situation involving IW.
#15 Posted by Cramsy (1168 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" @Cramsy said:
" @Roflwaffles said:

Not every gun kills in one hit to head. The M4, for example, takes at least 2 shots to the head to kill a person. "
@Roflwaffles said:
" @Cramsy said:
" @Roflwaffles said:

No. Each player has 100 health. The FAL does 55 damage at max. damage is multiplied 1.4x to the head with the FAL, so it only does 77 without stopping power. "
Wow, there you go. Here I am thinking a bullet to the head would kill someone, gotta start thinking like infinity ward. 
#16 Posted by DCFGS3 (1054 posts) -

I play hardcore so I don't see what the problem is...

#17 Posted by Stupot (177 posts) -

Why complain about stopping power when the ump + (any perk combo) is madness. This game has balance issues.

#18 Posted by hicks91 (757 posts) -

if they got rid of stopping power theyd need to put a decent perk in its place 
theres no other perk in tier 2 that has the mass appeal of SP, except cold blooded 
if everyone used cold blooded thermal and kill streaks would be useless which would nullify all the effort put into them 

#19 Posted by Metroid545 (1823 posts) -

Yet another MW2 complaint thread. Compared to other perks its more underpowered

#20 Posted by A_Wet_Shamwow (230 posts) -

the game needs juggernaut 
before you say  OMFG!! YOUR A FAG
think about it........ it would make the assault rifles less horribly noob friendly
noob tubes might be a little more survivable and it wasn't that bad in Cod 4 
i mean it takes one more shot about.......... if you have stopping power the better player should win the gunfight  

#21 Posted by hicks91 (757 posts) -

this game does not need juggernaut

#22 Posted by A_Wet_Shamwow (230 posts) -
@hicks91: yes it does instead of saying no why not convince me other wise 
also why the fuck do people say the ump is overpowered i mean complain about that but the SCAR and TAR are ridiculous
#23 Posted by lead_farmer (1041 posts) -

I don't know, play hardcore or something.  Then it takes one or two shots with everything.

I usually play with coldblooded or hardline anyway

#24 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

Juggernaut is an awful idea. No one should survive a shot from a thumper, I don't care how lame it is to use. If I shotgun you in the face I'm going to be pissed if you survive. 

Also, Stopping power is nothing compared to lightweight marathon commando.

#25 Posted by hicks91 (757 posts) -

ump is over powered because it has 100% accuracy and little recoil

#26 Posted by Skytylz (4033 posts) -

If you hit them, it only takes like 3 bullets with any gun. 

#27 Posted by Log (186 posts) -

I love SitRep Pro, its all I use in hardcore matches because even people creeping cant sneak up on me

#28 Edited by TheDoorman (534 posts) -
@Baillie: This game would be better without a lot of things lemme list them for you. Unfortunately stopping power isnt one. I use lightweight and hardline all the time and go against people with stopping power. Maybe its just you.

List of the things that make MW 2 suck.

The current spawn system
Painkiller and deathsreaks in general
Killstreaks
Dangerclose and Dangerclose Pro.
#29 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3744 posts) -
@Baillie said:

" @Sammichman: You clearly haven't played enough without stopping power if that is your argument. Unlike you I don't run around with an M16 or ump45 with stopping power. Most guns take a lot more than 3 bullets. With any other perk, it's hard to pull off a kill against someone at distance and moving, stopping power will take them down quickly.  SitRep pro isn't used because it doesn't let you hear people with ninja pro, which makes the whole point of that perk useless. People would go out of their way to get the pro version if it was actually useful. "

No offense, but you don't know what you're talking about.  

"Most guns take a lot more than 3 bullets."  Actually, no.  No SMG, no sniper rifle, and no light machine gun in the game take more than 4 bullets to kill from any distance.  A few of the assault rifles take 5, but they're highly accurate and/or have very fast fire rates to make up for it.

See for yourself: http://denkirson.xanga.com/715966769/modern-warfare-2/

As for SitRep pro, it allows you to not hear the footsteps of your own team, and to hear the footsteps of enemies 4 times as loudly.  While I'll admit that it is a bitch to unlock, and it's not the best class 3 perk, it's not exactly useless either.
#30 Posted by Pessh (2459 posts) -

No, stopping power doesn't even make a difference with most of the popular guns like the scar and the UMP. The reason no one uses sitrep pro is because no one has it. Grow a pair, can't believe people are still moaning about MW2.

#31 Posted by hakooon (98 posts) -

Stopping Power is not overpowered, and is really not needed if you know what you're doing. I mostly use Cold Blooded, which is a much better perk in my opinion, unless I use a shotgun class where I use SP because it relies heavily on one-shot kills.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.