Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

This is the first game I've ever played twice through.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AlwaysAngry

Yep. I just think the campaign is so amazing, still great the second time through. I think that really says something about this game that I played through it twice. I never played through MGS4, CoD4,  
    Killzone 2, Assassin's Creed 2, BioShock, or any other game twice. I don't get why people think the single player is weak, because I've already gotten a good 10+ hours out of it. That's really good for a game that relies so heavily on its online modes. 

Eh, did anybody else like the single player? Everybody talks about the multilayer so much, what about the single player?

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By FirePrince

I liked it.It's 5 hours.Of course you played it twice.I played COD4 like 4 times over.
    God damn short call of duty games!

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Meowayne

I bought the game (used, 20 bucks) for the single-player only, so yeah. I wouldn't call it amazing from a videogames-as-storytelling-medium, but it certainly is a great rollercoaster ride.

However, it impressed me only slightly more than COD4 - on the Wii. It goes to show how much more important mission and sound design is as opposed to resolution, shaders and effects.

Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
    deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

MW2 is the first game you played the campaign more than once?

Really?  I hope you mean this gen, but still I can think of at least a half dozen that I've played through twice.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @odintal said:
    " MW2 is the first game you played the campaign more than once?  Really?  I hope you mean this gen, but still I can think of at least a half dozen that I've played through twice. "
    Well, of course when I was a youngin' and didn't have online for the PS1 and 2 games I would play those twice.
    SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By SBYM

I feel kind of weird now; there are plenty of games that I've put hundreds of hours into, and a handful in which I've sunk a couple thousand. v__v

Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Expletive

I'm trying to remember if I played through twice or three times, hrm. 

I'm thinking it was three.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By HandsomeDead

I love playing the single player but there's some story turns that I didn't agree with and now agree with even less knowing a MW3 isn't going to be helmed by the same people.

MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MrSnow

I didnt like Tf141 parts the rest was savage.

briggs713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By briggs713

Honestly I thought it was great.  A very tight, varied and exciting campaign.  Probably my favourite FPS campaign (PD is a close second).  I recently got a free code for COD 1 and played through that campaign last week.  It was interesting to see how the series has evolved.  I beat MW2 on Veteran but I'm not sure if I'd be able to have the same success with COD 1 for the achievement.  

Roflwaffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Roflwaffles

CoD4 I played three times; once on normal, once on veteran, and once again to get all the intel.

MW2 I played twice; once on veteran and once again to get all the intel.

Spiral_Stars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By Spiral_Stars

Once on veteran was far more than enough.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fwylo

I really liked the single player and plan on getting around to playing it again.  But other things are more important at the moment.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By zombie2011

Nobody thinks the MW2 SP is bad, in fact most people think it's amazing. The story is the part of the SP people disagree with. 

I beat it twice once on Easy and once on Veteran.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By ProfessorEss

I went assuming I'd really like it because of how much I loved CoD4's campaign - unfortunately I didn't.

COD4 was something totally new and impressive, MW2 just had a bit of a "more of the same" feeling for me.

I know it was really well done, it just didn't grab me like I thought it would.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By s10129107

You should play the half life series.  You'll totally wanna play through it a million times.   

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @FirePrince said:
    " I liked it.It's 5 hours.Of course you played it twice.I played COD4 like 4 times over. God damn short call of duty games! "
    We meet again. Water cannon.
    Helimocopter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Helimocopter

It vaguely freaks me out that all the games you mentioned were this current generation

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WickedFather

3 time, Hardcore, Veteran and Normal for quick S&G's.  MW2's single player is immense.  The game is only stupidly short if you put it on a wemma's skill level to start off with.  I played COD WAW on normal with my mate yesterday and we did the whole campaign in about 4 hours, yes it does miss a level out.  Put it on Veteran and Heart of the Reich will take you 5 hours, MW2 took me about 11 hours first go on Hardcore, actually did the Vet run quicker basically because I knew what was coming and was heavily seasoned by World of War veteran I'd done in between.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#20  Edited By natetodamax

There are two types of Modern Warfare 2 players: Those that actually played the campaign and those that don't even acknowledge its existence. I for one enjoyed it very much.

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Metroid545

You liked the single player? not me, it was just overall annoying to get through

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By iam3green

the only problem i had with it was i wish that it was longer. there are some side things that didn't get answered. why was the dude with the mustache (can't think of his name right now) in that prison place, how did the Russians (i  think) capture the white house.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Brunchies

The campaign was pretty good but the second half really blew the first half out of the water.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @iam3green said:
    " the only problem i had with it was i wish that it was longer. there are some side things that didn't get answered. why was the dude with the mustache (can't think of his name right now) in that prison place, how did the Russians (i  think) capture the white house. "
    1. It was Capt. Price! Play CoD4 and you'll understand. 

2. Did you not get it? The entire world thought you launched a terrorist attack on Russia. I think Russia could take the white house in a mass invasion if America had no idea they were even coming to do so.
    FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FirePrince
    @LiquidPrince:  
    It had to happen huh? 
    One way or another,we will finish this.........
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @iam3green said:
    " the only problem i had with it was i wish that it was longer. there are some side things that didn't get answered. why was the dude with the mustache (can't think of his name right now) in that prison place, how did the Russians (i  think) capture the white house. "
    1. It was Capt. Price! Play CoD4 and you'll understand.  
     2. Did you not get it? The entire world thought you launched a terrorist attack on Russia. I think Russia could take the white house in a mass invasion if America had no idea they were even coming to do so. "
    For everyone that seems to slate MW2 story-wise, there's an alarming amount of people who got offended by the idea of America getting invaded and acting as if the game was some kind of propaganda or something.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MikkaQ

Sure, you can beat it in a single sitting. Fun campaign, but I found it boring the second time around.  

I usually don't play through modern games twice though. Big time commitment when I can just spend three hours beating some NES or Genesis game for the 50th time. Streets of Rage 2... I can't even begin to imagine how many times I've played through that one over the years.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NTM
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    "Yep. I just think the campaign is so amazing, still great the second time through. I think that really says something about this game that I played through it twice. I never played through MGS4, CoD4,  Killzone 2, Assassin's Creed 2, BioShock, or any other game twice. I don't get why people think the single player is weak, because I've already gotten a good 10+ hours out of it. That's really good for a game that relies so heavily on its online modes.   Eh, did anybody else like the single player? Everybody talks about the multilayer so much, what about the single player? "

Definitely, I don't really care for the multiplayer. Well, that goes for most games actually ha ha. So yes, the single player was awesome. But I can't seem to want to get through it a third time. It's definitely good enough though. I just beat it on easy then veteran. That game is four hours long, but seemed longer. The thing about MW2 that amazes me, is the fact that there wasn't any one part of it I disliked. It made me really love the characters that were from Call of Duty 4 in which I originally didn't care for whatsoever. Like SOAP, and price. I didn't really care tooooo much about Ghost, but he was cool. It's just... an awesome game and I'm with you on that. It doesn't seem like enough people talk enough about the singleplayer. -shrugs-
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jmrwacko
    @AlwaysAngry:  Wow, you played through MW2 twice! That's like half the length of most video games!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.