Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Veteran is too easy!

AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AnimalFather

seriously cod4 was much harder. only hard part in the game is the favela and thats not too hard if you go through it methodically.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ArchScabby

cool

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By MAST

I've found that in MW2, as well as the last two Call of Duty games, the hardest difficulty isn't really ever "hard" perse. It's more just annoying. Which sucks because, it's basically just "throw yourself at this level enough times until you get through it." The first 50 times you do a level, the enemy AI might one shot you perfectly every time, or toss 60 grenades at you all at once, but that 51st time, for some reason they'll decide not to, and then you're able to beat it pretty easily. That's how it usually goes for me anyway...

Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
    deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@MAST said:
    " I've found that in MW2, as well as the last two Call of Duty games, the hardest difficulty isn't really ever "hard" perse. It's more just annoying. Which sucks because, it's basically just "throw yourself at this level enough times until you get through it." The first 50 times you do a level, the enemy AI might one shot you perfectly every time, or toss 60 grenades at you all at once, but that 51st time, for some reason they'll decide not to, and then you're able to beat it pretty easily. That's how it usually goes for me anyway...

"
    I disagree. If you find the hardest difficulty really 'annoying' then why play it? How could they make it difficult without it being 'annoying' to you personally?

MW2 was easier than the previous 2 only really because they don't seem to throw grenades as much or at all.
    MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MAST
    @p4ddym1607 said:
    "How could they make it difficult without it being 'annoying' to you personally?"
    I don't know. I am not a game developer. But there are ways to make a game harder, and more challenging, without making it annoying. The sad thing about shooters, the only difference between the difficulty settings, is basically the developers going in and adjusting a slider. Making it to where an enemy soldier can smoke you in the head with one bullet from across the entire map. Where even if you sneak up behind an enemy, they will whip around and shoot you before you can even aim down your sights... Or they make it so that a single enemy can throw 15 grenades at you all at once.
    That type of difficulty increase is just flat out annoying, not harder or more challenging. It's all about you finding a way to game the system where you can so "Ok, right here they can't hit me, and won't throw grenades at me for some reason. So I can sit here an pick them off without having to worry about getting hit, and once I clear a path I can move forward." Or you having to inch your way along a wall until you hit a trigger that makes enemies stop respawning, and causes your AI controlled teammates to move forward. None of which is "hard" or "difficult." It's just tedious.

I don't have any solutions on how to make that better. It's just a shame that's the only idea developers have come up with when it comes to giving their game difficulty options. Currently, the only reason I even bother with harder difficulty settings on FPS games is because it's usually tied to trophies/achievements, and I'm an addict when it comes to that.

/shrug
    HomerPower00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By HomerPower00
    @MAST: I agree. COD 4 was more difficult than COD 6.
    There is some parts on the game which are very hard (like Favelas, oil platform (with the smoke screen)) 
    I spent a huge time to finish COD 4 on Veteran but only a couple of days for COD 6.

There was much less grenades on this game than the previous and maybe some times, the ennemies don't react the same way...
    There is the possibility of picking up a lot of weapons on the battlefield and the predator missile can help you so much for a really difficult check point.

However, this game is a very good first person shooter with nice interactives cut-scenes. 
    Homer
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By turbomonkey138

I found some of it really hard . Sorry im not a power gamer like you are

roroc007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By roroc007

It was ridiculously easy. Although a lot of fun, on veteran I expected some sort of challenge. It was very easy not too die, with some levels not even dying once. I wish they'd bumped it up a bit more, as I found COD4's much more satisfying, due to the higher difficulty level.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MAST: I completely agree with you.  On the scale between diffcult and fun, give me the latter over the former any day.  

In past Call of Duty games, you weren't playing a game so much as fighting its programming until you found holes in the scripts. Because that's all the campaigns were in past Call of Duty games--not games so much as a blow-by-blow series of scripted events. Call of Duty 4 compounded this design by having a suspect checkpoint system that haphazardly triggered checkpoints seemingly at will. "No Fighting in the War Room" is, quite possibly, the most agonizing level I have ever played in a first-person shooter (and I have played a fuck-load of first-person shooters). Random checkpoints, infinite enemy spawns, catatonic ally AI, and a blasted time limit made that stage all but insufferable.  

I understand Mile High Club is also incredibly difficult, but it's a fucking bonus stage not essential to the main campaign. 

There is a laundry list of issues past Call of Duty campaigns--including, if not exemplified by, Call of Duty 4--have that make them almost unplayable on Veteran difficulty. And these very issues are issues remedied by Modern Warfare 2.  

Ultimately, the campaign is fun to play on the hardest difficulty. Fun to play.That alone is good enough for me.  
    Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Bass

Well it seems that IW has made it so that enemies don't respawn infinitely, which makes things a lot easier. You can just take your time, take out everyone you see, and move forward. In the last game, you needed to push forward at some point in order to turn off the spawning which caused a sense of urgency and forced mistakes. As long as you are methodical in your killing in this one, you are pretty much set I think.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By nanikore

This is the fourth something topic about this this week.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, it was pretty easy compared to 4.  I'd attribute this mainly to no respawning of the enemies, which is a welcome change, and the fact that grenades don't all have a heatseeking mod.  The toughest part of the game for me was the Loose Ends mission, and I did that one in no more than 6 deaths.  To me, it was a welcome change, as you do still have to pay attention, but you don't have to dodge 500 grenades and deal with an endless wave of enemies until you get lucky enough to run up.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By meteora

Regular has been beefed up in difficulty but veteran is easier by many scales, I think its the right choice. Most of the time I felt like throwing my controller at the TV because I would sit around for like 5-10 minutes in a spot trying to pick off every enemy and then rush to the checkpoint, only to die and start over again. The two reasons why its so much easier is just the lack of nadespamming and respawns are finite now.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Djeffers03

easier but technically better. cod4 was only hard because you had to charge into enemy fire to prevent the from spawning.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By breadfan

It was definitely easier not worrying about massive grenade spam from the enemy AI, but it was still pretty difficult. 

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

I will ask this, would you want a game that is forceful in stopping or have a challenging yet constant and fun experience?

Also infinite enemies or large force?

Gahzoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gahzoo

Personally I loved MW2's Veterans, it seemed a good difficultly, almost like the way the game was meant to be played. It was incredibly easy compared to CoD 4's (and WaW's for that matter), It also didn't feel too "cheap", thus I enjoyed it, and the Favela level was probably one of my favorite missions.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By jakob187
    @MAST: I can agree.  The Veteran modes are "annoying".  Meanwhile, MW2 wasn't annoying, but instead just challenging in comparison to the other modes.
    Cazamalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Cazamalos

yeah in Modern Warfare 1 the enemies have infinite respaw and granades , but here when yo get shot it's very hard to return fire because you have to be always on cover waiting until the PowerAde disappear from the camera...

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CornontheCobbe

It was surprisingly easier than COD4 alright... remember that level where you had to wait for the Chopper to come get you and the downed sniper near the ferris wheel in COD4? Now THAT was hard on Veteran.. But MW2 was easier in every aspect and level on Veteran. The only one that took a few tries was when you had to wait for the Hard-drive in the Estate to download.

I think it's the fact that you have so many AI teammates that can take any shell thrown at them and still survive, so basically you hide behind something and let them do the work for you.

DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By DarkGamerOO7
    @p4ddym1607 said:
    " @MAST said:
    " I've found that in MW2, as well as the last two Call of Duty games, the hardest difficulty isn't really ever "hard" perse. It's more just annoying. Which sucks because, it's basically just "throw yourself at this level enough times until you get through it." The first 50 times you do a level, the enemy AI might one shot you perfectly every time, or toss 60 grenades at you all at once, but that 51st time, for some reason they'll decide not to, and then you're able to beat it pretty easily. That's how it usually goes for me anyway...

"
    I disagree. If you find the hardest difficulty really 'annoying' then why play it? How could they make it difficult without it being 'annoying' to you personally? MW2 was easier than the previous 2 only really because they don't seem to throw grenades as much or at all. "
    It seems easier because Infinity Ward actually left 2003 A.I design techniques and got rid of the constant re spawning enemies I believe.
    AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AnimalFather

good cause enemy respawning sucked.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By eclipsesis

Well i think most of this is because of the constant Spawn closets in MW and how enemies wouldn't dissipate until you pushed forward. Whereas MW2 (i think, i'm not entirely sure)  only has a set number of enemies for each battle.

GearsofRabies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GearsofRabies

I agree I went through CoD4 and CoD: W@W on veteran and they both took lots of time and patience. I got frustrated maybe once while going through MW2 on veteran. Also favela is easy tier, markarov's safe house is rage tier.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Gunner

Man, you must be hardcore brah.

itsmadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By itsmadness

MW2's veteran mode was very easy...it took me months of off and on playing of COD4 to finish it while MW2 took me two days. 

That said, I enjoyed MW2 a lot more lol, I thought COD4 was too difficult.

wealllikepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By wealllikepie

the enemies dont grenade spam and there are almost no countdown moments (like the 2nd last mission in cod4) which pressure you 2 run forward and get gunned down

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By guiseppe

While a whole lot easier than CoD4, anyone who says that it was truly easy is a damned liar. Regular  was easy, you can breeze through that, but if you're out in the open more than a few seconds on veteran you're dead. So it can't be "easy", just not as hard as CoD4 was :P. Even though it had it's moments of dying god knows how many times.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.