Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

What to expect from Call of Duty 6

• 75 results
    Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Daniel
    "We hate that WE can't be in Call of Duty 6...also, we hate the West"
    True to form, next Fall we should expect to see another Call of Duty from Activision. All reports are saying that Modern Warfare 2 will take off where Call of Duty Modern Warfare left off. One of the protagonists, "Soap" MacTavish, is airlifted out of a war zone by the Russian military, Captain Price's fate is unknown, and if the epilogue is any hint, there is a hostage crisis that leads to a larger international issue. I think it would be very clever of Infinity Ward to take off right at the point of jumping out of the airplane in the final phase of the epilogue, and maybe landing in hostile territory and having to fight your way out.

As of now, there doesn't seem to be any other contenders for biggest holiday hit for 2009, so COD: MW2 may completely corner the market. What would you like to see in this title? New, higher-tech weapons? More vehicle use? What kind of direction in the story line? Personally, I can't wait for this game. Call of Duty World at War has been a lot of fun, no doubt, but come Fall I'll be itching for a new Call of Duty.
    Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Daniel
    "We hate that WE can't be in Call of Duty 6...also, we hate the West"
    True to form, next Fall we should expect to see another Call of Duty from Activision. All reports are saying that Modern Warfare 2 will take off where Call of Duty Modern Warfare left off. One of the protagonists, "Soap" MacTavish, is airlifted out of a war zone by the Russian military, Captain Price's fate is unknown, and if the epilogue is any hint, there is a hostage crisis that leads to a larger international issue. I think it would be very clever of Infinity Ward to take off right at the point of jumping out of the airplane in the final phase of the epilogue, and maybe landing in hostile territory and having to fight your way out.

As of now, there doesn't seem to be any other contenders for biggest holiday hit for 2009, so COD: MW2 may completely corner the market. What would you like to see in this title? New, higher-tech weapons? More vehicle use? What kind of direction in the story line? Personally, I can't wait for this game. Call of Duty World at War has been a lot of fun, no doubt, but come Fall I'll be itching for a new Call of Duty.
    samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By samcotts

A longer single player would be good. Being able to finish the first Modern Warfare in one 5 hour sitting is ridiuclous. The multiplayer shouldn't be changed too much because it's almost perfect as it is - I don't want them to do a Gears 2 and fuck it up. What excites me the most is finding out what new multiplayer maps they'll create, and what addition weapons are added.

This is easily my most anticipated 09 release. Actually, it's the only game I'm looking forward to next year.
    Will1Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Will1Lucky

Well most importantly maps. lots and lots of new challenging maps for the Multiplayer.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pause422

Idk right now since I'm tired, but at the least what I expect is what we will get: A far better game than World at War, that is already checked off regardless, so bring it on.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Gizmo

MAKE A NEW GAME ENGINE.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Vinchenzo

Don't you mean Call of Duty 5? There is no 5 currently out.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Endogene
    Vinchenzo said:
    "Don't you mean Call of Duty 5? There is no 5 currently out."
    World at war is the fifth in the series

From this new call of duty i just expect a more polished version of 4 after all that is what the fans want...
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By crunchUK

expect a re-release of cod4

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#9  Edited By Vinchenzo
    Endogene said:
    "Vinchenzo said:

From this new call of duty i just expect a more polished version of 4 after all that is what the fans want..."
    Actually I was just hopping on the bandwagon of what people say these days. WaW is not considered to be the 5th game, it's just CoD: WaW. This upcoming CoD is, technically, the fifth.
    Will1Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Will1Lucky
    Vinchenzo said:
    "Endogene said:
    "Vinchenzo said:

From this new call of duty i just expect a more polished version of 4 after all that is what the fans want..."
    Actually I was just hopping on the bandwagon of what people say these days. WaW is not considered to be the 5th game, it's just CoD: WaW. This upcoming CoD is, technically, the fifth."
     Technically This upcoming Call of Duty is called Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 last time I checked.
    Avatar image for vash_the_stampede
    Vash_The_Stampede

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well, i guess it wont be long before something of the likes of Call Of Duty: Future War or something like that comes out...it would be interesting though :P

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bulldog19892

I don't think the epilogue will be part of anything. It was pretty non-canon.

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Daniel

Bulldog,

You may be right about that. That seemed like pretty much a "see how many points you can get as fast as possible" scenario. Regardless, though, I think it'd be cool to incorporate it in.

Vash,

My only concern about making it future war is that developers typically have a difficult time picturing future weapons. Look at Battlefield: 2142. Now, I don't know if you guys liked that game, but I surely didn't. It was making the future much too...futuristic. Say, if Infinity Ward sets the next COD in 2099. Ninety years from now things will be different, no doubt, but they won't be ridiculously different. There won't be battles on Mars or any of that crap, and we won't be using terraforming guns (mainly because those are stupid and by-and-large, pointless)

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By crunchUK
    Will1Lucky said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    "Endogene said:
    "Vinchenzo said:

Actually I was just hopping on the bandwagon of what people say these days. WaW is not considered to be the 5th game, it's just CoD: WaW. This upcoming CoD is, technically, the fifth."
     Technically This upcoming Call of Duty is called Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 last time I checked."
    TECHNICALLY

cod

cod the pc expansion

cod finest hour

cod 2

cod 2 the big red one

cod 3

cod4

cod5

cod road to victory (psp)
    1 meelion call of dutys?
    Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Daniel

Whether it's technically COD 5, 6, or 15, I don't care, as long as it's awesome. And it better be awesome.

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By BlackWaterCO

What do I expect?

Best game of 2009

see ya

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Daniel

Unless there is some awesome game coming out in 2009 that could eclipse COD 6 (doubtful) I think it'll be the game of the year. I'm looking forward to Arkham Asylum and HAWX as well, but not even close in degree to COD 6.

MikeyZeroG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MikeyZeroG

I'm a little dissapointed that it continues the same story -- to me that means that the weapons won't be drastically different.  I mean, how many other weapons can they include that weren't in COD4.  I'm a sucker for high-tech weapons -- kinda like near-future scenarios, y'know.

My guess is that it will incorporate more actions.  I think I heard that Mirror's Edge came out of the COD people (not sure which company) fooling around with the engine, so maybe the characters will be able to be a bit more dynamic.  Afterall, all we can do is run, jump and crouch, so maybe they'll be more to it (a cover system, diving, etc.). 

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Daniel

MikeyZeroG,

I'd love to see more versatile movements. Taking cover should seemingly be standard in any FPS, and yet it's not. Kinda strange. For as great a game COD4 was, player movement was very stiff. Being able to run and dive forward onto the ground to shoot from a prone position, if done seamlessly, would be awesome and would no doubt add a new flavor to the franchise.

Rorschach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Rorschach
    daniel said:
    I'd love to see more versatile movements. Taking cover should seemingly be standard in any FPS, and yet it's not. Kinda strange. 
    I totally agree. The Rainbow 6 Vegas cover system works so well that i'm pretty surprised that a variant of it hasn't been implemented in more FPS games. Quantum of Solace tried, but well, we all know how that worked out... Hopefully in the future more FPS developers give it a shot.
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By daniel_beck_90

all I want is a longer single-player

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Daniel

A longer single player campaign is definitely on my wish list for this one. COD4 was able to get away with having such a short campaign by having such a good story to go with it. If the story sucked, I woulda been really pissed at the short duration of the game. If COD6 can do the same story-wise, then I'll be just fine with a campaign of the same length, but I still wish it will be longer regardless.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By grilledcheez
    daniel said:
    "Unless there is some awesome game coming out in 2009 that could eclipse COD 6 (doubtful) I think it'll be the game of the year. I'm looking forward to Arkham Asylum and HAWX as well, but not even close in degree to COD 6."
    Mafia 2 and Bioshock 2 come out in 2009 as well :)
    Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Daniel
    Blast! How could I have forgotten! Mafia 2 is one of my most anticipated games too, can't wait for that one. I don't know how I put HAWX before Mafia 2, hah.
    Rorschach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rorschach
    daniel said:
    "Blast! How could I have forgotten! Mafia 2 is one of my most anticipated games too, can't wait for that one. I don't know how I put HAWX before Mafia 2, hah."
    Because it has an X in it? For example, "Mafia 2: Xtreme Crime" would be an instant mega-hit.
    Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Daniel

Ha! I think I'd have to protest and not buy that game if they called it "Mafia 2: Xtreme Crime". I mean, come on...I have principles ya know.

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By elko84

Shouldn't it be Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 2?

buckwatters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By buckwatters

Personally, I wouldn't mind COD: MW2 (or whatever it might be called) story to pick up where COD 4 left off. In fact, that can allow for different maps to be created for multiplayer, imagine either junlge or snow maps with modern weapons? It would be like combining the best parts of COD: WaW  and COD 4 gameplay. Also MORE GUNS lol

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Daniel

Yeah, I'd definitely like to see more diverse environments.

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By DARKIDO07
    daniel said:
    "Unless there is some awesome game coming out in 2009 that could eclipse COD 6 (doubtful) I think it'll be the game of the year. I'm looking forward to Arkham Asylum and HAWX as well, but not even close in degree to COD 6."
    I think Call of Duty should F.E.A.R. Alma more...
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Vinchenzo said:
    "Endogene said:
    "Vinchenzo said:

Well technically it's actually the fourth. Infinity Ward put Call of Duty 3, on their main menu for Modern Warfare, meaning they don't consider any of Activisions COD games to be real or cannon or whatever.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By Alexander

I've been playing through World at War and the difference between Infinity Ward and Treyarch reared it's head in a good few places. So I expect Modern Warfare 2 to blow the water out of WaW and improve on 4.

I don't think we will be seeing a new engine, and no reason to either, 4 ran at 60fps on the 360 and looked incredible. So I'd expect modifications and graphical improvements to the engine rather than an entirely new one.

I would be fine with another short single player like that in CoD4, so long as it's backed up by 20 or more multiplayer levels to keep me interested. I sunk so many hours into the multuplayer on 4 it was ridiculous.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More attachments for weapons, and more weapons as well.

I want better rewards for prestige, more levels to level up, and more levels of prestige.

Some online achievements would be great too.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Gizmo

Seriously, the next Halo and the next CoD should have MINIMUM 32s online.

I mean, why not? Frontlines had 52 on consoles.
    How hard would it be to add a few more spawn points and make larger maps?
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TwoOneFive
    LiquidPrince said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    "Endogene said:
    "Vinchenzo said:

Well technically it's actually the fourth. Infinity Ward put Call of Duty 3, on their main menu for Modern Warfare, meaning they don't consider any of Activisions COD games to be real or cannon or whatever.

"
    hence the IW3 in the background of COD4's menus. 
    anyways
    i'm hoping they come up with a whole new leveling up system. this one is getting old big time. codwaw really made it tiresome. 
    Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By Kazona

I'd like to see a run to prone system like GRAW. Even though I never finished that game and enjoy CoD4 alot more than I ever did any of the Ghost Recon games, I've always missed the ability to go from running to prone the way you do in GRAW. And a good cover mechanic would be nice too, or at the very least some peaking around corners.

MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gizmo said:
    "Seriously, the next Halo and the next CoD should have MINIMUM 32s online.
    I mean, why not? Frontlines had 52 on consoles.
    How hard would it be to add a few more spawn points and make larger maps?
    "
    Yeah, I would love some big games. But I like small ones too. Ground War should just be redefined and allow 32-64 player games. That would be pretty awesome.
    Crypto136

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By Crypto136

Hopefully single-player is worked on more than multiplayer.  I never would have thought that all people would only want multiplayer in a game.  But anywho hopefully there will only be vehicles in one map OR LESS.  I hate the tanks in COD: WAW They suck.

MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crypto136 said:
    "Hopefully single-player is worked on more than multiplayer.  I never would have thought that all people would only want multiplayer in a game.  But anywho hopefully there will only be vehicles in one map OR LESS.  I hate the tanks in COD: WAW They suck."
    Oo vehicles would be great. I tried the tank in the beta, and they were alright. But I'd love to try to drive around something... The AC-130 Gunship mission was fun.
    Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Gameboi

I expect another great game in the CoD universe, which will suck up much of my spare time in the form of multiplayer bliss.

MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gameboi said:
    "I expect another great game in the CoD universe, which will suck up much of my spare time in the form of multiplayer bliss."
    I still play 4 like it came out yesterday. ;___;
    Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Gameboi

If it were not for a zillion great games coming out right before the holidays (that I feel the need to complete the single-player on), I would be too!

ep_driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By ep_driver

Halo Recon, or whatever they're calling it nowadays, is coming out next fall too. That could be a pretty big hit and contender for GOTY as well as a few other games others already mentioned.

Monopolized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By Monopolized

To post about the numerics at the end of each title they are dropping the numbers 4 is the last game bearing a number

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TwoOneFive

i hate to sound like the geek but why are you calling it cod6, when there was never even a 5?

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Daniel

Okay, so here's what I'm thinking would be a cool storyline for Modern Warfare 2...

You and your team rescue the VIP and jump out of the plane that's going down. You land in China, North Korea (or some fictional country comparable) and you have to make it to a friendly border, protecting the VIP. Maybe he/she is an ambassador or the Secretary-General of the UN. You have to do some fighting to make it to the border, but you make it...

Then, there's a response from the fictional country to the US' intervention in the matter, and lets say, a dirty bomb is detonated by a separate, but linked to the main fictional country, terrorist cell in the US. If we're talkin about China or N.Korea lets say the bomb goes off in San Francisco. Your new mission is to find out who did this, which will include going into covert ops into the palaces and political buildings of the enemy country.

Also, the side story may involve, and this may be a stretch, a local SWAT officer who is charged with finding the terrorist cell in San Francisco. This could provide a really cool, fresh direction in terms of story and environment. I mean come on, a shoot-out on the Golden Gate Bridge, or in the Palace of Fine Arts? AWESOME.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47  Edited By jakob187
    Vinchenzo said:
    "Endogene said:
    "Vinchenzo said:

If this is technically the fifth, then that means you recognize Call of Duty 3 as being part of the series...and last I checked, Treyarch fucked that one up more than they did W@W.  =  /

As for MW2, what would I like to see?

Activision allowing IW to be more fucking original than to just make another Modern Warfare.  Bring on 2142, fools!!!
    Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Daniel
    jakob187 said:
    Activision allowing IW to be more fucking original than to just make another Modern Warfare.  Bring on 2142, fools!!!
    Ahhh, PLEASE not that far in the future. Just like Battlefield 2142, it'd blow.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By shadows_kill

all i need/want is a better respone system

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Daniel

How so Shadows kill?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.