Yay, I got the Chopper Gunner, what it's already down?!?

#1 Posted by Dark_Jon (581 posts) -

Yeah, apparently people know the chopper gunner is coming the instant you call it in. After the chopper finally manages to get to where all the people are, I managed to kill one guy and my chopper was then shot down. Has this happened to any of you guys? I have heard that since the chopper gunner is easier to use than the AC-130 that it is more overpowered but if it goes down in only 1 shot that might be why it's balanced.

#2 Posted by Karmum (11517 posts) -

Sounds like you got the luck of the draw. Most matches I play in players don't even bother to try and shoot the stuff in the sky. It can be pretty tedious dying again and again with nobody trying to take the things down.

#3 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1913 posts) -

I'm surprised at how many people actually DON'T make an active effort to shoot down killstreak bonuses. Still, it does suck when one of mine is shot down immediately.

#4 Posted by Dark_Jon (581 posts) -

How it always turns out for me is I always try to take harriers and helicopters down but they always aim at me too so 50% of the time, they kill me before I can get a lock on. Meanwhile, my teammates don't care and the chopper/harrier doesn't aim for them.

#5 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2990 posts) -

well, that's surprising actually cause usually most people don't have rockets as their secondary.

#6 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1913 posts) -
@Dark_Jon: The Cold-Blooded perk makes shooting down things much easier. I keep going between that and Stopping Power, but I think Cold-Blooded edges it out by a bit.
#7 Posted by Kohe321 (3522 posts) -

Happens sometimes. A friend of mine got two nukes tonight by first getting harrier, then getting shopper gunner. He went like 49-4 or something.

#8 Posted by OwnlyUzinWonHan (1478 posts) -

I also carry a rocket launcher around, guess I'm part of the problem.

#9 Posted by HistoryInRust (6274 posts) -
@Dark_Jon:
I think the Chopper Gunner is a little more offensive-minded. It's definitely easier to bag kills with it than the AC-130, but the AC-130 flies a bit higher, has two sets of flares, and requires three rockets to take down.
#10 Posted by DanGuy (278 posts) -
@Sir_Ragnarok: The AC-130 has more than 2 flares. My team shot at it about 5 times and each time it used flares, but luckily we got it later.
#11 Posted by Synthballs (2193 posts) -

I yell down my mic for someone to please shoot down choppers and they never do, yet they bitch and  moan about being killed by them. Plus continue using rockets on people

#12 Edited by Adamantium (885 posts) -

It happens, but you can almost always rack up at least a few kills with it before someone switches classes to take it down.

For added fun try calling in an AC-130 after the enemy has called in air support. It's really satisfying shooting down a Harrier or chopper with the AC-130's missiles.

#13 Posted by twenty0ne (3071 posts) -

I know how you feel TC. Seems like all my killstreak rewards get shot down within seconds now...

#14 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -
@twenty0ne said:
" I know how you feel TC. Seems like all my killstreak rewards get shot down within seconds now... "
I guess people are finally learning that rocket launchers are good things to have in your pocket.  I remember playing MW2 TDM launch week (haven't really picked it up since AC II came out).  I got Chopper Gunner, then slaughtered the other team.  All they did was try to run away, which didn't work out so well.  I think I got a 22 killstreak that match.  Sounds like players are learning and adapting.  Which is kinda cool, even if it does kinda null some of the killstreak bonuses.
#15 Posted by Bioshockraptor (5 posts) -

I only get the AC130 or Chopper Gunner through care packages, but I'm shot down within the first few seconds each time, and I barely even get it. I'm lucky to even get one or two kills!
#16 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1862 posts) -

Whenever I bring in an attack copter or pave low, I try to focus on anyone wielding anti-air equipment. Works out pretty well, most of the time.

#17 Posted by CharlieTuna (328 posts) -

I always go with the launcher. People playing against me do not even get the privilege of UAV.

#18 Posted by CornontheCobbe (2645 posts) -

Cold-Blooded Pro is your friend so you don't need to worry about Air-support. 

But i usually have my Launcher with me so if you were to call one in, i would be one of those people that disappoint you by shooting it down straight away. Sorry.

#19 Posted by Hitzel (112 posts) -

Everyone should have a class reserved for taking out air support.

#20 Posted by Chokobo (1228 posts) -

It takes 2 shots due to flares.

#21 Posted by Furyjoell (260 posts) -

I'm one of those guys who shoots choppers down straight away. As previously mentioned, Cold Blooded Pro is the perk to have. 

#22 Posted by Jayge_ (10222 posts) -

When I die and there's a killstreak reward in the air, I always switch to my vehicle-destruction class, take it out, and then kill people until I can change back to my main destructive class. 

Conversely, when using a chopper gunner or an AC130, I never usually get shot down (or if I do, it takes them at least 20 seconds to take me out).  My biggest problem is when the chopper gunner maneuvers itself into a position that doesn't actually allow me to hit anyone due to the angle of the shots and the locations of the enemies. It's not very context-sensitive.

#23 Posted by Cynical_M (383 posts) -

My Harrier gets shot down all the time...its a bummer..but i shoot theirs down too

#24 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -
@CharlieTuna said:
" I always go with the launcher. People playing against me do not even get the privilege of UAV. "
#25 Posted by FrEeZe (301 posts) -

Maybe it's just a PC thing, but for it seems like I don't even get the chance to shoot down any aircraft because someone on my team always beats me to it.

#26 Posted by Rayfield (2097 posts) -
@cstrang said:
" @CharlieTuna said:
" I always go with the launcher. People playing against me do not even get the privilege of UAV. "
"

Hell to the yes. If I hear ENEMY UAV ONLINE and I'm not already in a gunfight, I immediately look to the skies with my launcher and shoot that sumbitch down. More often than not, I'm the only one doing it. 

I got my first AC130 out of a care package the other day. It seems like people are more likely to hide indoors than try and shoot rockets because I was up there for ages and I only managed to cap one guy who was in a window.
#27 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11471 posts) -

I think it's probably a product of everyone unlocking the stinger, which can take down regular choppers and harriers in 1 shot and has more ammo than the AT4. Of course, whenever I am lucky/skilled enough to get a harrier, it usually lasts the entire time.

#28 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I shoot down everything. Every time it is announced that the UAV is spotted i immediately look up to see if I can find it.

However this occasionally ends up with me being shot in the face because I'm not paying attention to anything around me, but hey someone has to do these things.

#29 Posted by pause422 (6172 posts) -

As entirely overpowered as this and the AC-130 are, they deserve to be shot down immediately.

#30 Posted by Swaboo (451 posts) -

I love shooting down planes, copters and uavs and get them out of the sky as soon as they appear.

#31 Edited by Symphony (1912 posts) -
@DanGuy said:

" @Sir_Ragnarok: The AC-130 has more than 2 flares. My team shot at it about 5 times and each time it used flares, but luckily we got it later. "

I've noticed the AC-130 seems to be able to restock its flares if there's enough time in between attacks made at it. If two rockets are fired one after the other in rapid succession, the second has a very good chance to hit. But if you fire rockets at it at 15 or 20 second intervals, there's a good chance it'll flare all of them off.
#32 Edited by stormdrill27 (41 posts) -

people other team will sometimes talk  and work together to put an airsupport down one time the whole enemy team all had headsets they took out my ac130 after i just called it manage to kill 3 but they were all inside after that and maybe the ones i killed change there weapons to stingers

#33 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1862 posts) -
@Symphony said:
" @DanGuy said:

" @Sir_Ragnarok: The AC-130 has more than 2 flares. My team shot at it about 5 times and each time it used flares, but luckily we got it later. "

I've noticed the AC-130 seems to be able to restock its flares if there's enough time in between attacks made at it. If two rockets are fired one after the other in rapid succession, the second has a very good chance to hit. But if you fire rockets at it at 15 or 20 second intervals, there's a good chance it'll flare all of them off. "
Can you gun down that anti aircraft ordinance?
#34 Posted by Adziboy (702 posts) -

A mate of mine uses UAV and Chopper gunner and he now has 34 nukes used, and it doesn't usually get shot down. Think your just unlucky.
#35 Posted by Andheez (578 posts) -

I have anti air as my secondary weapon on every class, dont play vs me cause I will go out of my way to shoot your stuff down IMMEDIATELY, including UAV's

#36 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -

i don't think i've ever got less than 5 on a chopper gunner, and my best is about 30.

an ac130 however, worst = 1, best = 8.  maybe just me tho :o

#37 Posted by bulletbeast (191 posts) -
@Dark_Jon:
i know its a bitch but thats life. rocket launchers blow up helicopters, u just gotta deal with it
#38 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

It's pretty much my main mission to shoot down anything called in -- UAVs, Choppers, AC130s. No matter, I'mma blow that shit out of the sky.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.