random_guy23's Modern Warfare 2 (PlayStation 3) review

Modern Warfare 2 lives up to the hype.

On the day of release, I was eagerly awaiting my copy of this game, just like the millions of other people wanting to get their hands on a copy. Just to put a point across, this has probably been the most hyped game of all time, and will probably go on to be the most successful video game ever.

Ok, less of that stuff, and onto the game. Firstly, this picks up right after where Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare left off. Although this time around, you won't be playing as Soap like you were in the first game. Instead, Soap is now your commanding officer, and he's pretty badass.

The game runs at a very fast 60fps, and the game's graphics are detailed and polished. When I played through the game, I couldn't find a single texture problem at all. This really shows Infinity Ward's dedication to what the game looks like. Awesome.

The sound, once again, is pretty breathtaking, with the sound of bullets and explosions just sounding great. The story, this time around, focuses on another global bad guy, Vladmir Makarov, who is essentially a worse version of Zachaev from the previous game. He shoots shit up, and does it in such a way that the Americans get blamed for it. This starts a war, and yeah you kind of know what is going to happen next. An epic battle takes place in Washington D.C, the International Space Station gets blown to shit and major earthquakes kill Chuck Norris. (Forget that last part).

So yeah the single player game is awesome is just about every way, but the plot is a bit too stupid towards the end. I will leave you to find out for yourself, but I'm sure that you will enjoy it anyway.

Right then the part that everyone is looking foward to. The Multiplayer. COD4's muliplayer was good right? Think again. Modern Warfare 2 online is pretty much the most fun i've had out of a multiplayer game in a long time. The maps are diverse and well laid out (apart from underpass, which is shit (my personal preference)).

This time around, the multiplayer has lots of more things to unlock and do. For example, you can now choose your killstreak loadout. You could start off with a care package, which drops a random killstreak reward or ammo onto the map. These are incredibly useful when you are lucky (i.e. getting a chopper gunner out of it) and annoying when you are not (getting a UAV). Once, just by using care packages, I recieved a Chopper Gunner, an AC-130, and an EMP! How lucky! Yeah the enemy kind of didn't know what had hit them when I sent them a EMP.

There are lots of new guns in the game as well. Old time favourites such as the M4A1 Carbine and the AK-47 return, and some new guns appear, like the Remington ACR, and the CheyTac Intervention. Now, I was disappointed with one thing. I loved the M40A3 sniper rifle, which for me with an ACOG scope was just amazing at getting kills. This gun is gone completely, and the ACOG's have been redesigned, and now they are harder to aim with. I don't like this, and I also don't like the Intervention in comparison. It's a good sniper rifle, but it wobbles too much, and it feels harder to aim. I used to be good at sniping in COD4, but I suck at it in MW2.

But, past all that, I love the multiplayer just becuase of the addition of one new game mode: Demolition.
Demolition pits 2 teams in a fight to attack or defend bombs. The attackers plant the bombs, the defenders defend it, simple. It sounds normal, but where Infinity Ward has positioned the bomb sites gives you more to think about. For example, on the map Terminal, one bomb is situated on a plane. Yes, literally, you are ducking behind seats for cover, and shooting enemies that try to plant the bomb while you are defending, and when you are attacking, you go prone to avoid all the fire, then you desperately plant the bomb before bullets come pummelling your way. It is so exciting and engaging, and it had me on the edge of my seat. This new game mode makes you think about how you approach your objective. I used to play TDM a lot. Never again. It's demolition all the way from now on.

Ok, I'm gonna wrap it up right here, right now. BUY THIS GAME.