Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

ModNation Racers

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 25, 2010

ModNation Racers is a racing game using Sony's "Play, Create, Share" mantra -- applied in ModNation Racers as "Race, Create, Share". Like other titles in the series such as LittleBigPlanet, it allows players to customize characters, create their own levels/tracks, and share them online on the PlayStation Network.

Love or Hate x 10

Valames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Valames

I can tell this game is going to have the type of relationship with people where you either love it, or hate it. With me I absolutely love this creativity orgasm. If you're reading this thread you probably already love this game as well. We need to get the word out to all kart racing aficionados the world over. I can not remember another time when I had as much fun with a kart racer. There is an incredible amount of combination that can go into each racer as well as each kart. My biggest fear is that this game will be chalked off as a kid's kart racer and that development for it will cease. I say we hype this game up until we see some loop-de-loops and a 1,000,000 mark onthe NPDs! The skill, creativity, and replay-ability in this game is enough for everyone to try it at least once. I beg you to give this game a try if you are on the fence. Thank you for reading.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think this is a very love it type of game. A lot of people who have actually played it seem to like it. I've already spent over 20 hours in the career mode alone, and I only just started creating something today. I'm not much of a creator, but both aspects of the game are a lot of fun. The load times turn out to be inconsequential for someone like me who will keep restarting races to get all the challenges since it takes hours to beat some of them (they are fricking ridiculous at times). While the AI does get frustrating sometimes, the fun racing mechanics make up for it. I haven't even got into the online races yet, but I'm sure there's a lot more fun to be had (though I hear there are problems with XP races right now). I'm eagerly awaiting the patch that will fix the load times, but it's not really bothering me right now.

Valames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Valames

I agree, the load times are atrocious, but the career mode is really a step forward for kart racers. With grudge matches, pseudo boss battles, and Nightcrawler (for me anyways), it really is fun. It god me to take a break from Red Dead Redemption for goodness sakes, lol. I even have to share it with my GF, which is a rare occasion. She hasn't been this into a game since Uncharted 2.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman

The only thing I hate is that I don't have a PS3 to play this on. I do have a PSP, but I have a feeling it's just not the same.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By get2sammyb
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " The only thing I hate is that I don't have a PS3 to play this on. I do have a PSP, but I have a feeling it's just not the same. "
    It's not. The PSP version comes REALLY close, but the drifting's not quite there and that saps the fun out of the racing a bit. It's still good on the PSP, just nowhere near the PS3 version - which I adore.
    face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By face15
    @get2sammyb said: 
    The PSP version comes REALLY close
    @get2sammyb said:
    nowhere near the PS3  
    I like your style.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By get2sammyb
    @face15: Haha yeah. Let me clarify: what I'm trying to say is that the PSP version has all the trappings of the PS3 version - you can still create Karts and Mods and Tracks in exactly the same way; the racing is very similar with the power-ups, boost-bar, shield and side-swiping; it has the cut-scenes between races tying the "story-line" together and hopefully providing a few giggles; you can share creations online and download other peoples which you can then use in the six-player multiplayer. It's basically the same game. HOWEVER, Modnation Racers PSP's drift mechanic is super-stiff, and just doesn't feel fluid like the PS3 one does. Which for me saps the fun out of the gameplay.

So while the PSP and PS3 version are near identical, that single difference, for me, makes the PSP version nowhere near as good as the PS3 one.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ryanwho

Yeah the quick look, full of almost exclusively copyritten material, really gave me a solid glimpse of this creativity orgasm.

shrig32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By shrig32

It's a massive shame about all the stolen IP in the creations, it means people with original content get pushed to the back =(

Valames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Valames

Not necessarily. I normally look for 'newest' first. And, I am sure there are others who do the same. It won't be downloaded 1,000 times, but it will be noticed and appreciated by some. That's better than one. =D

Hammerjelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Hammerjelly

If they could reduce the loading times by even half, I would love it even more.

Washington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Washington

Well the demo version of MNR PSP is... not that close to the PS3 experience. 

Mostly the details with the item pickups, picking up a second item does not upgrade your weapon, instead the weapons are completly random like in most kart racers, and you cannot hold Square to drop the pickup as a mine wither, instead they made it a random weapon aswell, Sideswiping is something that seems to be removed due to the limited ammounts of buttons, or I'm missing something....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.