Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monday Night Combat

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 11, 2010

A multiplayer-focused third-person shooter that borrows elements from both Team Fortress 2 and Defense of the Ancients. Take control of one of six personified Classes and defend your Moneyball in a futuristic sports environment.

I think this would've been 10 times better had it been a TF2 Mod

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By TheMasterDS

I just bought this game sight unseen because that's what I've been doing this year, and I was not impressed during the 2 matches I played so far. I like a lot about the idea, but the implementation just seems janky. First off all the upgrading stuff comes off as complete jibberish to me, particularly because they offer no context as what the weapons or attacks you're upgrading do in the first place, which is a great design decision, not accounting for new players. Like, I'm pretty sure I saw a Support attacking with his medigun lookalike, but I wasn't able to do that far as I could tell. 

But enough about the dumb bits of the UI, because that's stuff I guess you'd get over if you played more than 2 matches, my main issue I think is that the shooting sucks. Now, maybe this is my fault for tending to play my Multiplayer FPS of choice, TF2, exclusively on PC and acclimating to the superior design of PC FPSes, but I find the shooting in MNC to be bad. Like, really bad. Worse than Mass Effect 2 shooting, which was samey and kinda bad. However, in that case it was hardly the focus of the game. MNC, as a multiplayer heavy game, should be all about the shooting. I almost feel like it's been done a disservice being compared to TF2 in so many places, because I sorta feel like it subscribes to all the bad ideas everyone except Valve subscribes to. Most characters are way too slow, it's in 3rd person at the expense of gameplay, Melee attacks are needlessly long and showy, plus considering there'll never be a situation where you want to melee and shoot at the same time it should really not be a button (or a right stick click, even worse!)

That's why I sorta feel like it would've been better had it been just a TF2 mod. Because then worse case scenario it's a dumb little mod that atleast plays like you'd want it to. Does anyone agree with this sentiment, or am I completely mad?

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By EdIsCool

LT on the medigun sucks health from enemies. I could not get into TF2 I fire it up from time to time, die a few times pick up some weird gear, leave confused.

BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By BionicMonster

Why don't you just look at the How To Play option under help and options. It explains everything you are complaining about.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By LordXavierBritish

This game plays so differently from TF2, if you keep trying to compare it you are just going to keep getting your ass kicked online.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By ch3burashka

It is a mod, just a 15 dollar mod. If you don't like it, don't play it. If you want it to be a mod, get a gang together and make it.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By zombie2011

Because TF2 is so simple and easy to get into.......

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Damien
    @BionicMonster said:
    " Why don't you just look at the How To Play option under help and options. It explains everything you are complaining about. "
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Animasta

You'd rather pay for a TF2 mod?

GrandpaJelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GrandpaJelly

You really can't compare a third person shooter to a first person. Though if you're a big fan of TF2 there's really no reason to play this game, TF2 has more maps, game modes, weapons and hats.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ISuperGamerI

I haven't played this game yet but I looked at the gameplay videos and it looks like a fun game. I love Team Fortress 2 as I have spent 100+ hours playing that game and it's addicting like crack.

Stilblad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Stilblad

If you dont like the shooting so much maybe you just shouldnt play any console shooters.  That is your entire problem ME2 had great shooting and MNC isnt bad either.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jkz
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    " This game plays so differently from TF2, if you keep trying to compare it you are just going to keep getting your ass kicked online. "
    My feeling exactly. The similarities lie solely in the art style, and the fact that they're both class based shooters. That's where the similarities end (alright, the support's healing ray is straight out of TF2, but that's IT), and if you try to play it like it is TF2, you're going to do terribly. 

Personally, I'm loving the game. I found it really easy to pick up (2 to 1 KD in every match, knew where/when to help out my teammates and build turrets, et cetera). All I did as "prep" was boot the game up, play through the tutorial, and read through the "how-to-play" section for support, and I was able to jump right in.
    takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By takua108

Not to pretend like I'm not just replying to the thread title or anything, but you can't really mod TF2 like that. :\

Warskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Warskull
    @GrandpaJelly said:
    "  You really can't compare a third person shooter to a first person. Though if you're a big fan of TF2 there's really no reason to play this game, TF2 has more maps, game modes, weapons and hats. "
    They play a lot differently.  As mentioned its mainly the art style that draws the comparison.
    Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Teaspoon83

I like what I see but I haven't dropped the cash on it just yet until I can play more of the demo. It looks like it took the best out of DOTA playstyle with TF2 class roles. I'm sure somebody out there could make this into a mod on TF2 for the PC but considering how out of date TF2 is on the Xbox 360, MNC might be the perfect thing people want for consoles.

Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
    deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love TF2, this game looks fun as hell to me. I admit I haven't played it for myself but it looked like (in the quicklook) most of the stats and perks stuff is in the help menu or w/e.

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bionicicide

Curious, what are the best TF2 game-changer mods out there?

BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BionicMonster
    @Bionicicide said:
    " Curious, what are the best TF2 game-changer mods out there? "
    Not certain but i don't think there are any, Source games don't really let you change the core mechanics of how things work. Just assets like maps and skins.
    empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By empfeix
    @Laketown said:
    " You'd rather pay for a TF2 mod? "
    Yes because then I'd be playing it on the PC.  Hopefully they release it in the future.
    Avatar image for pnut_buttr_panda
    PNut_Buttr_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By PNut_Buttr_Panda

if you want to play tf2 just go play it! stop looking for an excuse not to play a game because its not tf2 or a mod for tf2.

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mighty

The art looks like it, true. But I love it.
    SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By SteamPunkJin

One key difference: TF2 is not Third Person. I personally can't stand FPSs (with one or two exceptions) and therefore could never get into TF2.
    Also the Tower Defense like aspects of the game are a far cry from TF2. They took TF2 and DoTA and locked them in a room together until they had a baby, MNC is that baby - it has traits similar to both parents but stands up on it's own as a unique individual. I love MNC and hope it stays active and gets some updates down the line.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Bionicicide said:
    " Curious, what are the best TF2 game-changer mods out there? "
    Maybe PropHunt or Dodgeball? There aren't really that many.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.