Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monday Night Combat

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 11, 2010

A multiplayer-focused third-person shooter that borrows elements from both Team Fortress 2 and Defense of the Ancients. Take control of one of six personified Classes and defend your Moneyball in a futuristic sports environment.

Is it just me...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

...or is the assassin class incredibly overpowered?

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I've had no problem with them. There are extremely easy to take down if you spot them beforehand. 

And I'm playing Support.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm playing support too. I played 5 or 6 matches and the only times I died were by assassins. 

Except for a couple times I jumped over the side by accident.

Ursus_Veritas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Ursus_Veritas

No, not really. They appear to be sort of like glass cannons - they can deal a lot of damage up close, but they've got a ridiculously teeny health bar/armour level. I've been mostly playing the Assault guy, and it only takes a short burst of his rifle to take an Assassin out.  

I was thinking about taking an Assassin custom class and giving her some armour and health regeneration endorsements in the gold and silver brackets, see if that could make her less squishy.

FulcoBallard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By FulcoBallard

All i do is if their cloak is down then drain them with the hurt gun and jump around pretty effective for me

BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By BionicMonster
    @Soapy86 said:
    " I'm playing support too. I played 5 or 6 matches and the only times I died were by assassins.  Except for a couple times I jumped over the side by accident. "
    thats kind of hypocritical calling the "only" class that has killed you, overpowered.
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LordXavierBritish
    @Soapy86: The only thing I've found really annoying is that you can't sap their health when they are cloaked, even if they are visible to you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BionicMonster: I don't think hypocritical means whatever you think it means.
    BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BionicMonster
    @Soapy86: I was eluding that maybe the Support is the over powered class.
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BionicMonster: Support isn't overpower, people just don't go after him for some reason. 

He really isn't that powerful at all, and if people attacked him head on he'd go down quick.
    DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DrPockets000

If and when I get this, I will probably be mostly playing Assassin.

MjHealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By MjHealy

I was playing Assassin earlier on today and didn't have much fun. I love playing Spy in TF2 but the Assassin was just annoying me. If anything, the Support is the overpowered class. I was ripping people up with that class earlier on today.

PK_Koopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By PK_Koopa

If anything, the support is over powered. Not saying it is, but I'm just saying that assassins aren't really that hard to beat.

fleasquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fleasquire
    @MjHealy said:

" I was playing Assassin earlier on today and didn't have much fun. I love playing Spy in TF2 but the Assassin was just annoying me. If anything, the Support is the overpowered class. I was ripping people up with that class earlier on today. "

Yeah, in class games I always go for the assassin/stealth character, but I just wasn't feeling it in this game. The most annoying class so far for me has definitely been support. Those fire bases can be vicious if the support stays there and heals it while the robots flock in. A lot of strategies seem overpowered at first, but once the game has been out, people will have to find different ways to play. In most attack/defend games like this, you find a strategy that works great in one round, but during the next round, the other team figures out how to counter it. I don't think there is a class that is really overpowered, but obviously there is a sort of rock/paper/scissors gameplay here. If one team has a strong support player and the other team does not have a strong player in the class that can best counter the support then it will seem unfair.  

Or I can be totally wrong and there are balance issues, we'll have to wait and see.
    Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Damien
    @fleasquire said:
    " @MjHealy said:

" I was playing Assassin earlier on today and didn't have much fun. I love playing Spy in TF2 but the Assassin was just annoying me. If anything, the Support is the overpowered class. I was ripping people up with that class earlier on today. "

Yeah, in class games I always go for the assassin/stealth character, but I just wasn't feeling it in this game. The most annoying class so far for me has definitely been support. Those fire bases can be vicious if the support stays there and heals it while the robots flock in. A lot of strategies seem overpowered at first, but once the game has been out, people will have to find different ways to play. In most attack/defend games like this, you find a strategy that works great in one round, but during the next round, the other team figures out how to counter it. I don't think there is a class that is really overpowered, but obviously there is a sort of rock/paper/scissors gameplay here. If one team has a strong support player and the other team does not have a strong player in the class that can best counter the support then it will seem unfair.   Or I can be totally wrong and there are balance issues, we'll have to wait and see. "
    I agree with this.  There is a lot of rock, paper, scissors type gameplay.  If you are missing the counter to a specific class, then it can seem one class is overpowered, but I don't find that to be the case.  I think Uber Entertainment did a great job of balancing the classes as there are no glaring imbalances, maybe only little tweaks here or there.
    Avatar image for ravenousrattler
    Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ravenousrattler

overpowered maybe a little, but what pisses me off about them is more about how whole teams rush with them. Its annoying as hell fighting one off of you every 30 seconds.

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Mighty

Nope, it seems like you need to know how to play it to use it well.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By DoctorTran

Yeah, the assassin class is pretty annoying.

PK_Koopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PK_Koopa

Her invisibility is pretty crappy as well, meaning you cant just go around a player and stab him in the back. Not to mention turrets can destroy you once you grab someone. Finally, you can be healed during a grab animation, so if a support or a level 3 support turret is there to heal you while the animation is still going, you might just make it.

RAGEosaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RAGEosaurus

i hate Assassins. ive probably played about 20 Crossfire games and every game has had at least 3 on the opposing team. Its SO annoying! 
    then again most people are stupid and attack when their surrounded by turrets/towers or other people, and so get instantly mowed down once de-cloaked

ooochoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ooochoa

In crossfire they can be annoying if you don't have any bots or your team around you to help take them out but playing as support a lot you can really just nail them with your shotgun or stick them with airstrike beacon. 

However they are pretty useless when i try to play blitz because all they do is try and grab the bots -_-

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#22  Edited By Sooperspy

I think that Tanks and supports are a little over-powered. Supports shotgun can kill any thing when up close in 2-3 shots. Has the air strike which kills if in the radius. And turrets he can set down and continuously heal. The tank has so much health, his flamethrower if up close always kills, you can't move for about 2 seconds after charged so if you get hit out, you have no way of jet-packing back. It even takes Assassins 2 grapples, even from behind. I also find the Ice traps that snipers have are quite annoying.
    Its still a very good game and usually fair.

tsolless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By tsolless

I don't play assassin but I know that they have a shuriken gun. Use that and then dash grapple snipers who have surrounded themselves with traps. I've seen that strategy work almost every time.

T00MuchSteeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24  Edited By T00MuchSteeze
    @Soapy86 said:

" ...or is the gunner class incredibly overpowered? "  

Fixed 

edit: But seriously, I think there are some balance issues in this game but overall it's a good time. Very chaotic. 
    Jemenez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jemenez

Assassin isnt overpowered at all, I love facing assassins, they are free kills.

Support is the OP one

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Mighty

Meh. It's not like it doesn't take skill to play Assasin. You have to know what you are doing to be effective.
    kerikxi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By kerikxi

I murder a lot of assassins on a very regular basis. But I play Gunner, so I only have to stomp if I suspect one is nearby. Assassin players aren't nearly as clever as they think they are.

lclay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By lclay

You can cloak as you do the takedown animation so killing enemies near turrets, i.e. in the enemy base, is no problem at all. Assassins are extremely effective when used properly. The same is true for all the classes, except the sniper, which I hate. 

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

yeah they are most definately overpowered they need to be gimped fast.
    with the right custom setup, an entire team of assasins will completely decimate.

they will go through most every thing you can throw at them except point blank shot gun blasts and explosions, and the gunner's body slam and the tanks sweep.
    And with the right setup they are so fast good luck on getting that shutgun to connect, they will instant kill you then run off be back in 20 seconds to do it again, they need to extend the shield of the spawn assassins with completely spawn rape way to often.

Me support with gold skill refill, silver accuracy, and bronze speed. Level 3 fire base, lvl 3 hacked, I will camp the thing, and assassins will run up kill me, and be gone with minimal damage from my turret...Support, assault, snipers, gunners, and tanks will all die...not assassins though.

lclay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By lclay

I think you're confusing  being overpowered with effectiveness. Sure, in the right hands they are good at getting behind enemy lines, taking someone out, avoiding turret fire and escaping to assassinate another day but that is the point, they are assassins that is what they do. The other classes are equally as good when used properly: the gunner can take out swathes of bots and any enemy that comes in range when used right, the tank is almost unstoppable at close range and the support with a well place turret can fend off a fucking army.  Also the assassin is not so hard to fight, you can see them coming usually, either by the shimmer in the air or by the dust they kick up on the ground while dashing and let's not forget you can fucking hear them when they're cloaked. You just need to pay attention and watch your back!

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bionicicide

All I know is a rank 99 was an Assassin and raped my team by juicing and destroying all our turrets and super jumping to the top of buildings to escape or to shoot stars at the money ball when it was down.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WilliamRLBaker:  

No Caption Provided
    Seriously though, the Assassin has so many weaknesses it is ridiculous. 

First off, there is that melee timer. If you listen for them to come, you can make sure you have your back away from them so that they either accidentally take you head on or try to get around you. Then there is also the fact that THEY AREN'T ACTUALLY INVISIBLE. Unlike other multiplayer class based shooters that will not be named, if you actually look for the warning signs when you know one of the buggers is around then you should have no problem moping them up. Then there is also the fact that this is a fucking third person game and you can catch them even if they are right behind you if you are quick enough. 

On a side note: 

WHAT ARE YOU DOING TRYING TO SHOTTY AN ASSASSIN, AIR STRIKES YOU FOOL. 

Also, I will not die from your turret. 

Product Grenade + Jet gun = Fuck your turret.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.