Monday Night Combat Releasing On Steam This January

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

The clock is ticking on Monday Night Combat's Xbox Live Arcade exclusivity. Creator Uber Entertainment announced a PC version of the title last night that'll see a release via Steam this January 17. 

According to Uber, this version will sport a few cool features, including "spit-shined" visuals, dedicated server support, and eventually editor support at some point later in January. This version will also launch with the recently released "Spunky Cola Special" DLC, which added a couple of new maps, adjusted some pre-existing map problems, and carried some much-needed balance tweaks and fixes. 
 
  

  

MNC's Steam page is offering all pre-purchaser's a ten percent discount towards a purchase, bringing the game price tag down to an agreeable $13.49. But in addition to saving some cash, pre-purchasers will also get access to the game's PC beta that kicks off this Thursday and runs until the game's release.

If you didn't already know, MNC is a fantastic, class-based arena shooter. The character balance is solid, the shooting is good, and there's a surprising amount of depth and variety in the game. Give our review of the Xbox 360 version a read if you need more of a heads up.
 
[Thanks for the tip, Duran!]
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

The clock is ticking on Monday Night Combat's Xbox Live Arcade exclusivity. Creator Uber Entertainment announced a PC version of the title last night that'll see a release via Steam this January 17. 

According to Uber, this version will sport a few cool features, including "spit-shined" visuals, dedicated server support, and eventually editor support at some point later in January. This version will also launch with the recently released "Spunky Cola Special" DLC, which added a couple of new maps, adjusted some pre-existing map problems, and carried some much-needed balance tweaks and fixes. 
 
  

  

MNC's Steam page is offering all pre-purchaser's a ten percent discount towards a purchase, bringing the game price tag down to an agreeable $13.49. But in addition to saving some cash, pre-purchasers will also get access to the game's PC beta that kicks off this Thursday and runs until the game's release.

If you didn't already know, MNC is a fantastic, class-based arena shooter. The character balance is solid, the shooting is good, and there's a surprising amount of depth and variety in the game. Give our review of the Xbox 360 version a read if you need more of a heads up.
 
[Thanks for the tip, Duran!]
#2 Posted by Rothbart (349 posts) -

Always wanted to play this game, now's the chance!

#3 Posted by ManlyBeast (1153 posts) -

I bought it on steam.

#4 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5256 posts) -

Well that's just neat.

#5 Posted by JacDG (2124 posts) -

It's an absolutely fantastic game, maybe the best downloadable this year, and one of the best overall, it is a must "check out", although with TF2 being on PC, not sure if you dudes already has the chance to play something like it. But as for consoles, it's probably the best online 3rd person shooter out there, in my opinion.

#6 Posted by Sammo21 (3276 posts) -

I own this, and love it, on 360 but I just bought it and a copy for my friend.  Can't wait.

#7 Posted by emem (1967 posts) -

 An error was encountered while processing your request:
 This item is currently unavailable in your region 
  
Not available in Germany (yet?).

#8 Edited by XTraFries (211 posts) -

man....wish they were making it available on mac too.  
And that more actual "games" for mac showed up on steam, instead of just valve releases and a couple little indie games. 
 
really been wanting to try this one out. 

#9 Posted by JarenFace (205 posts) -

Anyone know if there's going to be a Mac version? Still debating if I should pick up this for the 360, but if there's a chance this will make a Mac appearance I'll hold out for that (I know a few of my steam friends are more inclined to play it than any of my 360 friends).

#10 Posted by stalefishies (332 posts) -

 Fantastic. I can't wait to pick this up.

#11 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1617 posts) -

that ... is pretty cool, I might actually buy this again on PC

#12 Posted by Peewi (410 posts) -

Unless they expect some major issues, why not just say that the launch is this thursday?
#13 Posted by TheSmashing (313 posts) -

Hmm, Maybe I'll give it a try when its released but for now I'm sticking with TF2.

#14 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Will there be hats?

#15 Posted by fox01313 (5072 posts) -

Anything with buttery smooth chaos is damn wicked cool in my book. This is how you do a trailer of a game going to a new console/game system.

#16 Posted by l3illyl3ob (283 posts) -
@Peewi said:
" Unless they expect some major issues, why not just say that the launch is this thursday? "
Lead & Gold did the same type of beta and I think it was a pretty big failure for them.  It spread out the purchases by a lot, reducing the amount of simultaneous online players and consequently reducing community.   For a multiplayer game, to really sell it to the community, and to make it look as big and popular as possible, you need a single strong release with thousands of people playing, something this type of release can't do.  L&G also had some serious issues during its one month beta that unfortunately didn't get fixed for the retail release, which also didn't help, so hopefully MNC will fare better.
#17 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1617 posts) -
@emem said:
"  An error was encountered while processing your request: This item is currently unavailable in your region   Not available in Germany (yet?). "
crap ... yeah ... according to their forum they dont have a rating in germany yet :/
#18 Posted by Korolev (1706 posts) -

Alright I'll give this a shot. I still play TF2 a lot, but there's no rule that I can't enjoy more than one team-focused, class-based, objective-filled shooter.  

#19 Posted by ___pocalypse (561 posts) -

Yessss

#20 Posted by SSully (4185 posts) -

I kind of wish it was on ps3 instead. I have been playing tf2 since it came out, and they seem lke very similar games, or atleast style of games. I still am interesting in i tthough, i may try it out.

#21 Posted by Mercanis (660 posts) -

The game's look could be deemed similar to Team Fortress 2, but the latter has a pronounced 70s style while Monday Night Combat is more modern-futuristic. Also, MNC is third person and draws heavily from tower defense and Defense of the Ancients for inspiration. 
 
In other words, aren't the TF2 comparisons a bit naive?

#22 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

Holy shit cakes I was never expecting this. It will be interesting to see how it fairs now that it's directly competing with stuff like TF2 since it's obviously so heavily inspired by it. I want to pick it up, but I'm not sure if it will keep being fun for more then a few days.
 
I will see if Steam does anything with it for their x-mas sale.

#23 Posted by Shaka999 (476 posts) -

Mac version, please? :D
#24 Edited by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

Heh, just watched the trailer and I hope those mouse and keyboard weapons are in the game. 
 
I really hope enough people buy this game and show to these smaller developers that they can release stuff on PC too. Tired of the 360 getting stuff like Splosion Man, Limbo and Risk Factions and the rest of us not getting anything.

#25 Posted by l4wd0g (1952 posts) -

it's a great game! I'm super excited to play with mouse and keyboard

#26 Posted by tankintheair315 (347 posts) -
@Peewi: A lot of times despite a developers best efforts the game doesn't work well on all pcs. Throwing it out there lets them test it, and makes sure that people understand it isn't the final product so they aren't seen as shipping an unfinished game.
#27 Posted by yindotrunks (95 posts) -

This is a fantastic game. I've got it on Xbox already but I think I'll get it here too.

#28 Posted by Nonentity (236 posts) -

Thank god. Mouse control. I will purchase this game again just for that.

#29 Posted by President_Barackbar (3462 posts) -

I just bought this again for PC. The 360 community is kinda spotty and this game always seemed like it belonged on the PC to me.

#30 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -
@Mercanis said:
" The game's look could be deemed similar to Team Fortress 2, but the latter has a pronounced 70s style while Monday Night Combat is more modern-futuristic. Also, MNC is third person and draws heavily from tower defense and Defense of the Ancients for inspiration.  In other words, aren't the TF2 comparisons a bit naive? "
It still is team-based, class-based mostly-multiplayer shooter. I don't see how comparing them is "naive".
#31 Posted by Sanious (793 posts) -

The TF comparisons are pretty tired. Game definitely has it's own personality and it's good to see that it's coming to PC. Unfortunate that my PC blows and probably won't run it though.

#32 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

if you have not played on 360 yet i highly recommend this game

#33 Posted by Kinarion (378 posts) -

I am concerned about the Sniper.  That class was powerful, albeit not overly so, in the console version.  With mouse control, I suspect it will be at the top of the heap.

#34 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -
@JoeyRavn said:
" @Mercanis said:
" The game's look could be deemed similar to Team Fortress 2, but the latter has a pronounced 70s style while Monday Night Combat is more modern-futuristic. Also, MNC is third person and draws heavily from tower defense and Defense of the Ancients for inspiration.  In other words, aren't the TF2 comparisons a bit naive? "
It still is team-based, class-based mostly-multiplayer shooter. I don't see how comparing them is "naive". "
Just so we're clear, I'm pretty sure he doesn't care about the comparisons as much as people saying that MNC is a TF2 clone. 
 
Just like how any similar game out there that comes right after a successful one is labelled as a clone. Like I think Bayonetta and Dante's Inferno as God of War clones.
#35 Posted by Crono (2667 posts) -
@Meteora said:
" @JoeyRavn said:
" @Mercanis said:
" The game's look could be deemed similar to Team Fortress 2, but the latter has a pronounced 70s style while Monday Night Combat is more modern-futuristic. Also, MNC is third person and draws heavily from tower defense and Defense of the Ancients for inspiration.  In other words, aren't the TF2 comparisons a bit naive? "
It still is team-based, class-based mostly-multiplayer shooter. I don't see how comparing them is "naive". "
Just so we're clear, I'm pretty sure he doesn't care about the comparisons as much as people saying that MNC is a TF2 clone.  Just like how any similar game out there that comes right after a successful one is labelled as a clone. Like I think Bayonetta and Dante's Inferno as God of War clones. "
Top-down, hack-and-slash, action-RPGs ala Diablo are still called Diablo clones to this day as well.
Online
#36 Posted by Meltac (2002 posts) -

Might pick this up, seems really cool, and I've grown a bit tired of TF2.

#37 Posted by afrofools (1347 posts) -
@l3illyl3ob said:
" @Peewi said:
" Unless they expect some major issues, why not just say that the launch is this thursday? "
Lead & Gold did the same type of beta and I think it was a pretty big failure for them.  It spread out the purchases by a lot, reducing the amount of simultaneous online players and consequently reducing community.   For a multiplayer game, to really sell it to the community, and to make it look as big and popular as possible, you need a single strong release with thousands of people playing, something this type of release can't do.  L&G also had some serious issues during its one month beta that unfortunately didn't get fixed for the retail release, which also didn't help, so hopefully MNC will fare better. "
That didn't help them with the XBLA version. There is almost  no community, and finding people to play against is only possible at 4pm GMT +10 weekdays.
#38 Posted by afrofools (1347 posts) -
@l3illyl3ob said:

" @Peewi said:

" Unless they expect some major issues, why not just say that the launch is this thursday? "
Lead & Gold did the same type of beta and I think it was a pretty big failure for them.  It spread out the purchases by a lot, reducing the amount of simultaneous online players and consequently reducing community.   For a multiplayer game, to really sell it to the community, and to make it look as big and popular as possible, you need a single strong release with thousands of people playing, something this type of release can't do.  L&G also had some serious issues during its one month beta that unfortunately didn't get fixed for the retail release, which also didn't help, so hopefully MNC will fare better. "
That didn't help them with the XBLA version. There is almost  no community, and finding people to play against is only possible at 4pm GMT +10 weekdays.    
#39 Posted by dragonzord (815 posts) -
@Crono said:
" @Meteora said:
" @JoeyRavn said:
" @Mercanis said:
" The game's look could be deemed similar to Team Fortress 2, but the latter has a pronounced 70s style while Monday Night Combat is more modern-futuristic. Also, MNC is third person and draws heavily from tower defense and Defense of the Ancients for inspiration.  In other words, aren't the TF2 comparisons a bit naive? "
It still is team-based, class-based mostly-multiplayer shooter. I don't see how comparing them is "naive". "
Just so we're clear, I'm pretty sure he doesn't care about the comparisons as much as people saying that MNC is a TF2 clone.  Just like how any similar game out there that comes right after a successful one is labelled as a clone. Like I think Bayonetta and Dante's Inferno as God of War clones. "
Top-down, hack-and-slash, action-RPGs ala Diablo are still called Diablo clones to this day as well. "
Which is sad. They should call them Ys clones
#40 Posted by Grnd_Lb_Knt (180 posts) -

Didn't know about this. Interesting. Seems like it will take away from the already small XBOX community. Will this happen? I'm not familiar with things like this.

#41 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4504 posts) -
@Mercanis said:
" The game's look could be deemed similar to Team Fortress 2, but the latter has a pronounced 70s style while Monday Night Combat is more modern-futuristic. Also, MNC is third person and draws heavily from tower defense and Defense of the Ancients for inspiration.  In other words, aren't the TF2 comparisons a bit naive? "
Yes, but people will find any excuse to compare a game to something they feel is 'better' to try and discredit it.
 
In any case, finally broke down this morning and preordered it. Pretty excited for the beta.
 
@Kinarion said:
" I am concerned about the Sniper.  That class was powerful, albeit not overly so, in the console version.  With mouse control, I suspect it will be at the top of the heap. "
I haven't played the console version, but I suspect stuff like this is exactly what they'll try to fix with the beta. The guys over at Uber seem to have their heads on right so I think the PC version will be very polished.
#42 Posted by Kinarion (378 posts) -
@PrimeSynergy: While I certainly hope you're right, the radial upgrade menus in that video at least suggest the sort of parsimonious porting that has gotten other games into trouble in the past. 
 
Still, after the sort of experience Uber is purported to have had with XBLA, they may be excited enough about returning to an open distribution platform to really go all out.  My fingers are crossed.
#43 Posted by Chubbaluphigous (571 posts) -

When I first saw this game, I wanted it for the PC.  This game has "PC game" written all over it.  It looks like a lot of fun, but I am still concerned about whether it will have the community to support it.

#44 Posted by DrRandle (1202 posts) -

Ah-ha, is this our chance... for an awesome game?!

#45 Posted by captain_clayman (3321 posts) -

YES  
 
i might try this out.   
 
@SSully
said:

" I kind of wish it was on ps3 instead. I have been playing tf2 since it came out, and they seem lke very similar games, or atleast style of games. I still am interesting in i tthough, i may try it out. "
agree it should be on PC as well
#46 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

An indie game... that was an xbox exclusive... and is coming to the PC... and it was actually good? 
 
 
Pre-ordered. 

#47 Posted by ch3burashka (5072 posts) -

All I want is for some TF2/MNC cross-promo. A "Meet The" video where the teams meet each other, or some cross-compat weapons, or SOMETHING. I have faith in Valve.

#48 Posted by migviper (1 posts) -

i might give this game a try. looks like a mix of tf2 class-based gameplay with the unreal tournament series futuristic and fragalicious style.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.