Super Monday Night Combat Exists

#1 Posted by PerfidiousSinn (730 posts) -

I'm so sorry for linking to Kotaku, but that's where I first saw this.
http://kotaku.com/5834259/

Since you won't read it, here's the important parts: 
-PC only
-Free to play  (you can buy character taunts, skins, weapon effects, endorsements)
-Five-on-five instead of six-on-six
-All new arenas
-New bots- Fujibot and Shady
-There will be three new characters at launch, with more added over time.   (original cast is still there)
1. Combatgirl, a playable version of the first game's Pitgirl (a clone, according to the new game's story), who fills a support role and has her own turrets.

2. The Veteran, is a former champion wrestler whose abilities are based on a grappling. He's even got a grappling hook to pull his foes toward him.

3. The Gunslinger, is a new sniper who isn't as powerful as the original MNC sniper—who returns in the new game. Her advantage is that she can shoot quickly. She wields two pistols, a love gun and a hate gun, which are tied to special abilities that kneecap people to slow them down, shoot waves of bullets and more.

#2 Posted by amomjc (977 posts) -

I do like that companies are finally jumping on F2P and actually making them decent games. Now instead of constantly jumping from game to game for an impulsive feeling, I can just try a F2P game to satisfy myself.

#3 Posted by JacDG (2114 posts) -

@PerfidiousSinn said:

-PC only

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU- I really need to buy myself a laptop capable enough to run these kind of games.

#4 Posted by abdo (1037 posts) -

"Posted 0 minutes ago"

Funny how I literally just read about it on Rock Paper Shotgun, and came here to see if anyone's discussing it already. Never played the first one, but I've heard a lot of praise and will definitely check this out. When it's out.
#5 Posted by Thoseposers (781 posts) -

i posted this on general discussion like an hour ago haha

#6 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

Might actually give this a blast when it hits. MNC looked like great fun, but I've never touched it.

#7 Posted by Progman9000 (258 posts) -

As funny as attaching "Super" or "Ms" to a game title is in this day and age, I really wish they decided to call this Tuesday Night Combat.

That said, Free to play sounds rad to me.  Even if I got the first game for a couple hundred pennies on Steam.

#8 Posted by buft (3301 posts) -

crap i really want this on XBLA, i would buy maps, expansion or even put down 1200 points for it right now

#9 Edited by Rapid (1346 posts) -

I just bought Monday Night Combat like two months ago! 
  A Love and Hate Gun?! 
 Yeah I can see how F2P would work without it being too unbalanced. I hope they do something to give the game more variety. I kind of got kind of bored Deathmatch and Survival after awhile. This franchise seems like it could be one of those that invents some crazy game modes. 

#10 Posted by craigbo180 (1739 posts) -

Fun fact about MNC is that one of the animators is the (internet) famous street runner/performer "AZO" and you can see him prominently featured if you watch the credits video in Monday Night Combat. He even has some videos on his channels where he recreates some of the assassination moves from MNC.

#11 Posted by RoyCampbell (1096 posts) -

This is fucking insane.

#12 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

I bought the PC version when it was still in beta, turns out the whole game was a beta test for this release. The improvements do sound great though, this is essentially the patch the game direly needed with the added bonus of a (hopefully) healthy playerbase.

#13 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2682 posts) -

Saw this on Google+ earlier. Sounds awesome. I liked the original on Xbox. I own the original for Steam, but have never tried it.

#14 Posted by psylah (2162 posts) -

Zojirushibot as presented by Zojirushi!

#15 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4291 posts) -

My body and soul are ready.

#16 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1735 posts) -

Is this going to be like the TF2's F2P update or will they be two separate games?

#17 Posted by PerfidiousSinn (730 posts) -
@SoldierG654342 said:
Is this going to be like the TF2's F2P update or will they be two separate games?
I can't say for certain, but it looks and sounds like an entirely separate game.
#18 Posted by SSully (4125 posts) -

Hmmm pretty cool! I never got the original MNC because of how similar it is to TF2, and I more invested in TF2. I did enjoy the game when they did a free weekend on steam, so I think ill give this a shot.

#19 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

Looks alright.

#20 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1735 posts) -
@PerfidiousSinn: Great, I buy the game twice and then they come out with a free version with more content. I really hope the end up adding the new classes to the payed version or giving the people who bought it some sort of perks. 
#21 Posted by PerfidiousSinn (730 posts) -
@SoldierG654342:

One on the devs on the MNC forums has said that players who bought the original will have access to some exclusive items.

"Original" being "the PC port", that is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.