Capcom confirms, no online support for the 3DS version

#1 Posted by iGooner7 (136 posts) -

Capcom has confirmed today that the 3DS version of the game will have no online support

Capcom Unity's vice president Christian Svensson:

For Wii U we’re using Nintendo’s servers (which I’m very happy about) and I’m not sure how they’re set up. Candidly, we’re still waiting for Wii U builds in our office to play with and there’s still many moving parts that no one except for the team members has first hand experience with at this point

Source

#2 Posted by cmblasko (1188 posts) -

I read the post, and don't see where Svensson says anything about 3DS online play. It seems like he is just answering a question regarding Wii U online play.

#3 Edited by Marmalade (192 posts) -

I'm not seeing where online support was denied for...anything. The only thing even close to players being denied online play, according to that post, is the eventual shutting down of the Monster Hunter Tri servers.

#4 Posted by AsperGamer (161 posts) -

Capcom has confirmed that the 3DS version of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate won't have online play. Such functionality will instead be exclusive to the Wii U edition of the game.

Speaking to ONM, Capcom's Yuri Araujo confirmed that there were "no plans" to bring online play to Nintendo's portable system.

Capcom has also confirmed that the Wii U version will utilise Nintendo's own servers for its online mode.

I am reading this everywhere. Sad really. I would love to have played online through the 3DS. I don't understand why.

#5 Posted by cmblasko (1188 posts) -

@AsperGamer: Well that is unfortunate. They must be banking on the idea that fans are more likely to buy both the 3DS and Wii U versions if only the Wii U version has online play.

#6 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

I wonder if there is any room for a 3rd party service to set up 3DS ad-hock over the internet. But I think MH is a franchise more suited to a home console than a portable. Still, I'd rather just be able to do it all on the 3DS.

I assume this means MH 4 will be on the Wii U too. I wonder if it'll not look like ass like it currently does. But considering Japan's tolerance for MH faults, I wouldn't bet on it.

#7 Posted by daedelus (92 posts) -

This contradicts Capcom's trailer from October where they advertise cross platform play. I looked at your link and I don't see where they say no cross platform play. So there will be cross platform play I think.

Screenshot from October trailer:

#8 Posted by TheHBK (5471 posts) -

This is brought to you by the guys who thought Resident Evil is still good.

#9 Posted by BBAlpert (1438 posts) -

@TheHBK said:

This is brought to you by the guys who thought Resident Evil is still good.

Obligatory mention of Megaman Legends 3

#10 Edited by mangopup (71 posts) -

@daedelus said:

This contradicts Capcom's trailer from October where they advertise cross platform play. I looked at your link @iGooner7 and I don't see where they say no cross platform play. So there will be cross platform play I think.

Screenshot from October trailer:

There is still cross-platform local play (Wii U plus 3 3DS'). I still don't understand why the 3DS version can't connect to the same servers as the Wii U version. Nintendo never future proofs their hardware if they can't get the 3DS to connect to their servers. Whatever though, still getting the 3DS version, I don't mind double dipping way later down the road.

#11 Posted by daedelus (92 posts) -
#12 Posted by Hailinel (24382 posts) -

@daedelus said:

It will have cross platform play!*

*Offline only. Unless you get a freaky wi-fi adapter and plug your wii u into ethernet somehow. As discussed here: http://www.giantbomb.com/monster-hunter-3-ultimate/3030-36397/forums/mh3u-on-3ds-will-have-online-if-you-have-a-wiiu-1425697/#20

That's what Mangopup said. The cross-platform play is offline-only, but the point is that it's there as an option. And that might stink if you'd only be playing the game on a 3DS, but it's apparent that it's only supplemental to the Wii U version.

#13 Posted by daedelus (92 posts) -

@hailinel:

I heard you can share saves between 3DS and your WiiU version is that correct? So the idea is you can progress single player while mobile then when you get home continue on your WiiU online.

#14 Posted by HeyImPhoenix (169 posts) -

That is unbelievable!

#15 Posted by Hailinel (24382 posts) -

@daedelus said:

@hailinel:

I heard you can share saves between 3DS and your WiiU version is that correct? So the idea is you can progress single player while mobile then when you get home continue on your WiiU online.

That's what I've heard. Not sure if it's accurate or not.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.