Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Dec 10, 2011

An upgraded version of Monster Hunter Tri for the 3DS and Wii U.

MH3U on 3DS will have online... If you have a WiiU.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

In some insane piece of Nintendo-logic, they have answered the cries for the 3DS version of the game to implement online multiplayer (like the WiiU version will already come with.) However, to get online with your 3DS you need to connect to a WiiU, which, additionally, has to be connected via an ethernet adapter.

I don't know what's possessed Nintendo with this one but this just seems mad. If you had a WiiU, wouldn't you just play that version online? Especially if you have to buy a special Nintendo adapter to get the WiiU online via ethernet instead of WiFi? Oh Nintendo, you so crazy.

Also, feel free to discuss demo thoughts here - I'm jumping into it now!

Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/02/21/monster-hunter-3-ultimate-patch-lets-3ds-version-play-online-using-wii-u/

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

Pretty sure they mentioned this like a year ago when it was first announced.

Also I hear the demo is Plesioth and that just made me say "fuck your demo that's dumb."

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morbid_coffee: Haha yeah I hate Plesi too. And I don't think they announced this a year ago, it was news that came out of today's Japan only Nintendo Direct (the update is coming to the Japanese MHTriG on the 3DS there first).

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I guess it's a good thing I don't play online that much because there is no way in hell I'm getting a WiiU just so I can play a 3DS game online.

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'd be all over this if it had multiplayer, but what a surprise, it doesn't. I'll probably still pick it up as I sure as hell can't see myself buying a Wii U anytime soon (or ever). Waiting for my 3DS to charge so I can download the demo.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RE_Player1

Next gen is here...

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Nintendo strikes again!

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I believe Plesi's hip-check is toned down in Ultimate.

Unless you can use a 3DS and a WiiU to let 2 people play together with others online, it seems totally useless.

MasonL87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why does it have to be through the wiiU? Why not just make an app for PCs and Macs that does the same thing? I mean, my computer is already wired into my modem. Which connects my 3DS to the internet anyway. Wouldn't it by a simple matter of IP tunneling? I know that Nintendo is super secretive about the kind of wifi that their devices use, but come on!

TLDR: I have a 3ds and wiiU, I just don't have the wiiU in a position to BE wired for this nonsense. I want a computer-based solution.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By KaosAngel

So it's just like PSP versions and requiring a PS3 to play over PSN using ad-hoc party?

I'm cool with that.

rpwll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeeeeeah, I don't see myself buying an Ethernet adapter and trailing Cat 5 cables halfway across my house. I'll just play single-player on the 3DS and save the multiplayer stuff for my Wii U.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bollard

@youngfrey said:

I believe Plesi's hip-check is toned down in Ultimate.

Unless you can use a 3DS and a WiiU to let 2 people play together with others online, it seems totally useless.

I *think* that is possible, yes.

@kaosangel said:

So it's just like PSP versions and requiring a PS3 to play over PSN using ad-hoc party?

I'm cool with that.

Similar, apart from the bit wherethe Wii U has it's own version of the game, which has native support for online and is in HD, and you can transfer your 3DS save to the WiiU anyway. Oh, and you need to can't use Wifi. So as to why you would ever use the WiiU just to get your 3DS online is beyond me.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

eh they'll probably hack it somehow anyway

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
    deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chavtheworld: Can you play locally with your friends on 3DS or is it online only? If I can't even play locally than it is not something I am interested in honestly.

Played the demo and it was my first taste of monster hunter ever. I had to fight this rabbit thing in the snow and I did not have a huge amount of fun with it, at least the graphics were good and it ran like it should.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Why does the Wii U version need an ethernet adapter?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snail said:

Why does the Wii U version need an ethernet adapter?

You can play the WiiU version online via wifi, but if you want to get your 3DS online you need your WiiU to be connected via ethernet. The only reason I can possibly imagine for that is the WiiU and 3DS connect to each other via wifi, hence you can't get online on the 3DS without ethernet.

@chavtheworld: Can you play locally with your friends on 3DS or is it online only? If I can't even play locally than it is not something I am interested in honestly.

Played the demo and it was my first taste of monster hunter ever. I had to fight this rabbit thing in the snow and I did not have a huge amount of fun with it, at least the graphics were good and it ran like it should.

The 3DS version has local play absolutely. That's the core pillar of the franchise, getting together and hunting with people. The demo doesn't have any mp.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
    deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chavtheworld: I knew the demo didn't because I planned on playing it with my little brother and instead we had to play the same mission while sitting next to each other to get the same "feel." Now that I know that it has local it seems that it will probably be me and my friends Road-trip game of choice! :D

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billythekid: I know, it's a shame its not in the demo. Can't wait to play MP with friends when it is out.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Joeyoe31

That's dumb.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bollard
    IzunaDrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very pleased by this latest news.

Being able to play tablet only is a big + for such a grind-fest, and I really do love the odd relationship that can happen when you have a functional game with a Japanese player, but dont communicate (hell half the EN speakers I play with do not chat anyway)

daedelus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Anyone got pics of these freaky dongles? Is there a release date for them?

soulmanim3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daedelus said:

Anyone got pics of these freaky dongles? Is there a release date for them?

You can use the Wii's ethernet adapter. They are less than 10 bucks on Amazon for the Nyko branded one. Really, any USB ethernet adapter should work.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.