THIS GAME HAS A LOCK ON CAMERA

#1 Edited by Bollard (5530 posts) -

Possibly the number one reason why people hate on the Monster Hunter series (unjustly) is that they claim it should have a lock on feature. Claw-holding your PSP (or in this case, 3DS) is unnatural, they cry. Well, whilst that's clearly how the game is actually meant to be played, good news comes to all those holding off on this amazing series because of the unusual camera control requirements: 3G has a lock on option.

As far as I know this is toggleable, so those (like myself) who want a pure MH experience can leave it off, and probably play without the second circle pad too for glorious hand cramping nostalgia, but what say you, the non-monster-hunter converted populace, will this make a difference to you?

#2 Posted by MuttersomeTaxicab (668 posts) -

Actually, yes. I'm not non-converted, however. I'd say Monster Hunter Tri is maybe my fifth most-played Wii game. Really hoping this comes out in the west. Anyrate, the addition of a lock-on camera sounds awesome.

#3 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

Can't use all caps in title

#4 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7616 posts) -

The camera control was only one of the problems, I doubt this is going to convert anyone.. Regardless, I don't see how you could defend the control set up. Having to "claw" was not only stupid, it's a serious health risk. If you've played the game to the extent that you actually find it comfortable (as I've heard others claim) I'd seek medical advice ASAP.

#5 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

No it won't because it doesn't change how terrible the combat is. Or how unfriendly that game is to anyone not willing to invest 200 hours into it.

#6 Posted by StarvingGamer (8227 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind: I have probably logged over 1000 hours total across the various MH games on PSP using the claw method and have experienced no adverse side effects. My hands are strictly average in size, although my fingers may be a bit on the lean side. I am a musician and play both piano and guitar and have not noticed any decrease in manual dexterity or accuracy.

While I understand that it's not going to be the ideal control scheme for 99% of players out there, for the top 1% of the hardest of core MH players, the claw gives us the freedom to play the game at our full potential. I won't get into the specifics, but there have been hundreds of times where the ability to freely move, rotate the camera, and access all of the face buttons and R button simultaneously has made the difference between victory and defeat.

If 3G comes out in the US I definitely will not be using lock-on and most likely will eschew the frankenstick as well.

#7 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

Doesn't TriG support the circle pad pro? 

That should fix any camera problems anyone could be having. 

I think you can use RemoteJoyLite on the PSP to play with a PS3 controller as well.

#8 Posted by DeF (4887 posts) -

@MuttersomeTaxicab said:

Actually, yes. I'm not non-converted, however. I'd say Monster Hunter Tri is maybe my fifth most-played Wii game. Really hoping this comes out in the west. Anyrate, the addition of a lock-on camera sounds awesome.

since this is just more / remixed Tri content, I'd prefer they just bring out MH 4 in the west and don't do another "if this doesn't sell then say all future games stay in Japan" experiment.

#9 Posted by geirr (2563 posts) -

COOL

#10 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7616 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

@WinterSnowblind: I have probably logged over 1000 hours total across the various MH games on PSP using the claw method and have experienced no adverse side effects. My hands are strictly average in size, although my fingers may be a bit on the lean side. I am a musician and play both piano and guitar and have not noticed any decrease in manual dexterity or accuracy.

While I understand that it's not going to be the ideal control scheme for 99% of players out there, for the top 1% of the hardest of core MH players, the claw gives us the freedom to play the game at our full potential. I won't get into the specifics, but there have been hundreds of times where the ability to freely move, rotate the camera, and access all of the face buttons and R button simultaneously has made the difference between victory and defeat.

If 3G comes out in the US I definitely will not be using lock-on and most likely will eschew the frankenstick as well.

You wouldn't see any adverse affects right away, but you'll almost certainly develop arthritis at at an early age, or at least a very bad case of carpal tunnel. I honestly can't stress enough how bad that control scheme is for you.

Fortunately, the circle pad and Vita controls should do away with the need to claw or use the lock on method.

#11 Posted by StarvingGamer (8227 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind: Well it's been six years and so far, everything is peachy. I mean, have you ever tried doing the claw yourself? Maybe I just have bizarre hands but it feels perfectly comfortable to me.

Unfortunately I won't be able to spare my right thumb for camera controls during the hardest fights so I'll need to figure out an alternative claw method for 3GS or hope that you can somehow map the camera rotation to the LZ and RZ buttons. If the Vita version uses back-touch for camera then even better. But camera on the right stick? That's only going to be a handicap.

#12 Posted by Bollard (5530 posts) -

@StarvingGamer: Hear hear! Also, I can't believe I titled this thread with all caps. I have heard that the 3DS controls do actually take a while to get used to for PSP vets, but they are quite customisable (and the Circle Pad Pro is actually useful. Hmm.)

Fingers crossed that at GamesCon we finally hear something about the western release. Sven at Capcom keeps saying that we will hear something by the end of this year.

#13 Posted by Illuminosopher (327 posts) -

Well fuck... as long as this is always just a toggle and never becomes the standard it's ok, but still fuck...

#14 Posted by animateria (3253 posts) -

The camera lock works because it's not a full lock-on. Full lock would have made it hard to target body parts. I like it a lot.

Doesn't work that well underwater though...

#15 Posted by Bollard (5530 posts) -

The camera lock works because it's not a full lock-on. Full lock would have made it hard to target body parts. I like it a lot.

Doesn't work that well underwater though...

Underwater is a nightmare. Still can't beat Plessy because I just can't deal enough damage underwater :(

#16 Posted by animateria (3253 posts) -

@chavtheworld: I found that if i dive deep and constantly tap the L trigger while swimming, it is somewhat manageable. I killed it with the Dual Swords, just stuck next to Plessy, and swung like crazy, attempting to dodge it's tailwhips and flip attacks (I say 'attempt' because... I got hit by a lot of them.)

#17 Posted by Bollard (5530 posts) -

@animateria: Finally did it last night with the LongSword - with one minute to spare! LS probably isn't the easiest weapon to use underwater, but I think diving to the bottom is definitely the trick. It also helped that I started using the virtual DPad to swim down when I got too high up again with my thumb (I hate touching the touchscreen with my fingers though).

Had a panicy last moment, as I got plessy limping and wailing, he went to go back on land... and missed the jump. Glitched himself back into the water and I had to kill him underwater. If he'd jumped on land it would have saved me at least a minute. Long story short, can't wait for the full game to have full length missions and support the CPP to make underwater easier.

On the plus side, I can now do Lagombi in 6 min flat.

#18 Posted by RazielCuts (2953 posts) -

Lame, now its a babies game. They've dumbed it down for the casuals, I'm going to boycott by buying Tri on release day instead, I prefer the white hair. (Am I doing it right?)

#19 Edited by ShadowMarth (64 posts) -

This is kind of silly. On the handhelds where managing the camera is a pain, maybe, but on anything with a dual analog it's totally superfluous.

#20 Posted by animateria (3253 posts) -

This is kind of silly. On the handhelds where managing the camera is a pain, maybe, but on anything with a dual analog it's totally superfluous.

Well, people complained a lot about the lack of lock on (mostly people who don't play MH... who then complain about something that doesn't matter with dual analog sticks...) in Tri.

I bet the same people will complain that the lock on is only momentary, and still not bother to play the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.