Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Dec 10, 2011

An upgraded version of Monster Hunter Tri for the 3DS and Wii U.

Trap quest aggravation

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

So with all the Monster Hunter talk on the site lately as well as looking for a new game to play, I picked up the Wii U version. So far I'm about 8 hours in and mostly enjoying my time and figuring out things on my own. However, I've had two trap quests so far and they've both required several attempts because something always goes wrong, like I kill the monster, run out of items, or it runs away while I'm setting the trap. Do these get any easier or less frequent or do I just have to get better at execution on them. Any tips to make them go smoother would be greatly appreciated.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

They should be easy with the right execution, I'm guessing I would have had the same issues if I hadn't decided to scout out the mission on youtube beforehand.

Loading Video...

The video I had a look at ^^^

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

figuring out things on my own

As Klepek said, definitely do not shy away from looking things up in this game. I'm a vet and still constantly have a wiki open while I play (mainly to find what thing I can get from what monster or what zone etc.)

However, trapping, once you get the idea, isn't too bad. First, what you wanna do is keep wailing on the monster until it starts to limp. Once it is limping it will be ready to be captured. The good thing about this as well, is that once it is limping it will try to change zone (usually to go sleep or eat). So, follow it (have it paintballed if it flies or digs) and then once it's relocated, get away from it enough to put down a trap. Just wait on the opposite side till it runs in then 2 tranq bombs later you will be done.

enemaems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

This is my 1st MH game and I watched the video above for the Bear Trap mission a couple of days ago. The one I am having issues with now is the Great Jaggi trapping quest. I either kill him because he never goes to a limp, or when I do trap him, a bunch of Jaggi's are attacking me and I cannot get the Tranq. bombs off. I know what I need to do, it is just different circumstances each time are preventing me from doing it. I am absolutely loving the game though. :)

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By NeoCalypso

@enemaems: Sounds to me like you need to be a little more patient. None of the monsters show weak/fatigued signs when they are enraged. So if you have a feeling that you are getting close to being able to trap a monster but the smoke is still coming out of their mouth, then take a bit of time to clear the area of lesser monsters to make it easier to trap. That'll free you up to toss tranqs and give you time to actually see if the monster is weak.

Or you can look towards making "capture guru" decorations(which if I remember right are really easy to make) for your armor. Those will make it so the paintball marker on your map will flash when the monster is weak enough to be captured.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

PROSTRATS: Usually a monster will reel back and/or fall over at least two or three times before it's weak enough to capture.

nonused

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alanm26v5: ALWAYS wait until the monster is limping before you set up the trap. Well, that's what I do. And, since I usually mark 'em, I beat 'em to whatever zone they limp-retreat to and set up whatever trap the guild gave me. Then I hit 'em with two tranq bombs (that the guild gave me). Hasn't failed me yet.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MezZa

As others said, wait til it limps before you try to trap. Trapping isn't any harder than killing. It just adds in the extra supply requirement. Make sure you come into the mission with some of your own traps and tranq bombs (You can combine to make these at this part of the game right? I haven't played since the original wii version.). This way if something unfortunate happens you're not in an all or nothing position with 1 trap and few tranq bombs. You're making it much harder on yourself if you're going into these missions with only what the chest gives you. Also make sure to clear the area of smaller enemies to prevent their annoyances.

enemaems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By enemaems

@neocalypso:

Patience was exactly my issue. 1st try on that quest tonight and trapped him with zero issues. Thanks for the help!

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By supamon

Trying using a flash bomb to incapacitate it then rush in and plant a trap at its feet quickly. Bear in mind some monsters are less susceptible to being flashed and the stun period varies depending on how many times the creature has be flashed and whether it's in rage mode or not. Lastly don't forget, throw it in front of a monster where its eyes are.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An easy way to know when you can trap a monster is to wait until it's limping and running away. Follow it to the zone it's going to, plant the trap and then lure it to the trap by standing behind it (the trap). The monster will see you and make a bee line towards you and trigger it. Another thing you should do is make sure Cha Cha stays by your side by tapping on his signal on the gamepad. If he manages to get close enough to the monster that he draws aggro, the monster will attack him but then flee again.

indiefinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always just wait until I see the monster limping. Then I try to set the trap up in an area where I know they will go sooner or later. The middle of the zone or in the way of his escape route. Once he is in it, just throw a frew Tranq bombs at him and you will get him. The most frustrating part is killing them, it happens a lot more then you would think. Just be patient and when you think you are getting close...hold off the attacks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.