Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 13, 2015

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is an expanded version of Monster Hunter 4.

Help me figure out what equipment to make next.

Avatar image for excitable_misunderstood_genius
    Excitable_Misunderstood_Genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

(Please?)

So I'm still pretty early in the game, just about to go rescue the palico warrior guys. For my first real equipment set I made mostly Tetsucabra stuff for the health bonus, and with those and some health decorations I've got Health +50 active.

Now, I'm really not sure what to look at next. Any recommendations to work towards? Pretty overwhelming to try and keep track of what skills I have available on what pieces and what I could get active. Is there anything that is pretty widely useful to a newer player like Health is? Evade or something?

The +health just seems so safe and universally applicable that it makes me reluctant to break it for something else just to experiment.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By MezZa

Honestly the Tetsucabra set is good enough to get you to high rank armors without having to craft anything more. With its defense and health buffs its basically the de facto beginner set. If you want to get fancy and make something else to expand your options, what's best for you will depend on what weapon type(s) you're using. I can try to make some recommendations once I know that for sure.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NeoCalypso

Yeah honestly without any more information on how you'd like to play I'd also have to recommend sticking with Tetsucabra. If you wanna move to more offense armors you can try Velocipray armor which will fairly easily net you Attack up medium(it starts at attack+13 so M only requires two decorations) and Half Stun, and takes very little work to get. Also Ceanatuar is pretty good as it gives you both Razor Sharp(lose half as much sharpness per hit) and speed sharpening.

Also a fantastic low rank set you can build once you hit ★6 Caravan is the Auroros set which gets you Mind's Eye(no weapon bounce), Part Breaker(easier to break monster parts), and Divine Blessing(25% chance to receive 30% less damage when hit.). It also has 6 slots so if you have a decent charm you can gem in something else pretty easily.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I'm a fan of:

• Ceanataur Helm
    • Gore Mail
    • Ceanataur Braces
    • Gore Faulds
    • Torso Up greaves (Tetsucabra works)

This is to get Sharpness+1 and you can easily gem it to give you Speed Sharpen as well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mentaldisruption@neocalypso

Thanks for the recommendations. I guess a big reason I ended up asking the question is the Tetsucabra felt so robust that I was worried I was making a mistake not looking at anything else. I guess it's the safe choice right now. How much do you guys recommend I invest in upgrading it?

As for weapons, I've only just started messing around with different types. I've so far run with sword and board, hammer, long sword, dual blades. I love the dual blades but the sharpness thing is just a mess, not interested in dealing with that. I've been trying to move away from sword and board for right now since I wanted to encourage myself to dodge instead of block. I'll probably look into them more as I get better elemental ones available to me with their attack speed, and as soon as I want to spend more energy watching youtube videos to get really tight on their use.

I so far play solo only and I don't have a new 3DS so I'm staying away from ranged weapons at this point. I'm also reluctant to mess around with the horn or insect stick thing when hitting stuff is pretty satisfying on its own.

@neocalypso , Is that Auroros set you were talking about related to online play? Mind's Eye and Part Breaker sound really appealing in the near future.

@starvinggamer thanks for the input, I'll look into those pieces.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@excitable_misunderstood_genius: Nope Auroros is available completely offline. It does have a slight prerequisite though and that's that you have to do the 6 Star quest Advanced: Shipping Out which will unlock the trading of Lao Shen parts at the Wyporium. Also like I said earlier Ceanatuar is good set for maintaining sharpness so it's very ideal as a starting Dual Blades set if that's something you'd like to pursue further.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

It's been a while since I've thought about low rank armor, but the Tetsucabra set is a sold choice. I also remember the Gore Magala set doing alright for me, but your armor options really open up once you reach high rank quests.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neocalypso:

Ok, thanks. I just got the cut scene where we find out the legendary hunters or whatever they are called got tore up by the Gore Magala, and I think I'm doing... 5 star quests? I'll keep an eye out for that, can't be too far off.

@arbitrarywater

Thanks, I'll stick with Tetsucabra for now and use my mats more to explore new weapons.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.