Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 13, 2015

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is an expanded version of Monster Hunter 4.

Post-Harth Boss Ruins Pacing?

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By MikeLemmer

*SPOILERS FOR PART RIGHT AFTER LEAVING HARTH*

I just finished the "boss fight" right after Harth and I'm putting the game down for a bit to get the taste out of my mouth. It not only felt like a huge difficulty spike, but it ignored the best parts of Monster Hunter. It was set on a small ship (not much room for ranged attacks) in a dark storm that made it difficult to see the monster's attacks (when the ship itself wasn't giving the camera issues). It introduced the Blight mechanic midfight, making it hard to understand. It also introduced two different ship weapons I had to use while I was still trying to understand the Blight mechanic. I wish it had been a cutscene instead of a fight.

What's your opinion on this fight?

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It sucked, but that's the only time you do it in the game, so I don't really care.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

It was bad. I really hated it. It was a terrible introduction to a cool enemy. And to make it extra perplexing, the monster you hunt after that event is a cakewalk compared to Nerscylla and the ship part. Seems like they originally wanted it later. Although it's good at making you feel claustrophobic and powerless, it was seriously overtuned. I used all my mega potions and still carted twice. Managed to win with about 15% of my health left.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I didn't really have a problem with that part. I think I lost but that's what was supposed to happen? In any case, you can see that I really didn't remember it that much or gave it that much thought, I got through it in one try (again, not sure if you can lose and had to repeat that but it sounds like it?) and moved on.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

I mean, it's kind of just a set piece moment. You're using the cannons on the side of the ship and then the giant drill on the front depending on where the monster is at any given time. The rest of the time you're mostly evading. It's not exactly a real fight. I personally didn't have much issue with it, but I do agree that it wasn't the most fun sequence in the world. I also agree that it wasn't the best time to explain the blight mechanic, because in fact I still don't understand it. Going to go and look it up now to fix that.

Avatar image for purplepartyrobot
    PurplePartyRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By PurplePartyRobot

The game made it somewhat apparent that something bad was going to happen once you leave Harth (basically "hey man, don't go unless you're REALLY ready to go") so I stocked up on potions and mega potions before the encounter. The hardest part was dealing with the blight mechanic introduction in that small space while attempting to defend yourself. Given the small space, it is insanely difficult to fight off the blight without having to take serious damage from the monster in exchange. I ended up blowing through all my potions and most of mega potions because I couldn't deal enough damage in time to stave off the blight most of the time before it reached full infection, turning its blight AoEs into DoT fields as well. Didn't cart once, though.

I treated the encounter as a scene to set the monster up as an antagonist, a challenge to inspire the player to improve and eventually overcome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.