Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 13, 2015

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is an expanded version of Monster Hunter 4.

This video game is coming out in the West in early 2015, will you play it?

• 60 results
    fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Poll This video game is coming out in the West in early 2015, will you play it? (133 votes)

Yes 56%
    No 44%

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate coming to Nintendo 3DS in early 2015

Hey there fellow hunters! Want some really good news? Well, how about we start with… Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is coming to the west in early 2015 on Nintendo 3DS!

I couldn’t be any more excited about a game reveal than this one… but before I say anything, here’s a special video message from the man himself, Monster Hunter series Producer Ryozo Tsujimoto:

You probably deduced this, but to put it clearly Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate will be the Western version of Japan’sMonster Hunter 4G. That means it will be built on the foundations of Monster Hunter 4 but have way more content. That’s a ton of stuff!

In typical Monster Hunter fashion, you can expect to see a number of returning older monsters, but also a great selection of new threats to challenge you in unique ways. And just wait until we have more info for you on the new mechanics, weapons and things you can do in this game! As Tsujimoto-san said in the video, they aimed to make the hunts a lot more fluid and dynamic… and they definitely nailed it!

We’ll have more to talk about later on throughout the year. But in the meantime, I’ll leave you with a quick reminder to keep an eye on this blog/forum, our Twitter, Facebook and YouTube pages, as well as our weekly live streams on Twitch. And don't forget you can get awesome Monster Hunter merchandise at the Capcom Store.

Happy Hunting!

Source: http://www.capcom-unity.com/dubindoh/blog/2014/01/26/monster-hunter-4-ultimate-coming-to-nintendo-3ds-in-early-2015

My thoughts

Good news for all involved. ALL. INVOLVED. As the story always seems to go with the Western releases of these games, we'll have to wait just a little bit longer than those residing in The Land of the Monster Hunter. But we'll end up getting the sightlier fancier version in the end. I've always been a mere dabbler in the Monster Hunter arts in the past, having only ever played it on the PSP in the past. But now that this is on our radars I'll definitely be looking to dip more than my toes in at the deep end. (Yes I know I could play 3, but I only just recently got my 3DS XL and making this the version to springboard into hundreds of hours of gameplay seems fine.)

/prance

• 
    sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Not unless they fundamentally change the game from how its been in the past which they won't. They honestly don't need to and they shouldn't so they won't. I don't need to like everything :p

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Yep. Specifically skipped 3U just to wait for this. A few months between the Japanese launch and the Western launch is shorter than I thought it would be.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By Forcen

I only recently got into MH3U on 3DS and I will try to get my farthest before 2015 now.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I got MH3U on the 3DS and I played it for a bit. I just cant play a game like this on a handheld. I really like the game too. I just wish it was on a better platform like any of the other real consoles like PS3,360,PS4,Xbone. Not Wii, not WiiU, not handheld. Even greater would be a PC release. Though with the online multiplayer I am a little more interested in this.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. Waiting for Freedom Wars to come to the West.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Yes. I'd play it. If I own a platform it's coming for by then. I'm tempted to get a 3DS for this and Fire Emblem, but then again, why wouldn't this come to Vita in pretty? Come on!

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By DeadpanCakes

This is very exciting to me.

Would it be stupid of me to hope for a "Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate HD" for the Wii U, like they did for Portable 3rd for the Ps3?

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Make it a Wii U version and I'd buy it.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it released for the PC, 360, or the new consoles I might finally give it a try. But it doesn't seem like the kind of game I want to play on my 3DS, especially given that multiplayer is so important, and none of the people I play games with own one. I'd have a hard enough time convincing them to try the game as it is, without also having to sell them on a handheld to do it.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@recspec said:

Yep. Specifically skipped 3U just to wait for this. A few months between the Japanese launch and the Western launch is shorter than I thought it would be.

Exactly the same here. I owned MH Tri but barely touched it because it seemed to intimidating but I definitely wanna get into MH4U.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

You know, I'm not totally clear on what this game even is. Unfortunately the Wiki pages for both this game and Monster Hunter 4 assumes the reader knows exactly what the franchise is about and only highlights the special features and differences of each version, and doesn't talk about what the games actually are. I'll find it on YouTube.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

@mb: You should watch the quicklook for 3 ultimate.

I hope they improve the 3DS fonts...

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Yeahhh booo 2015?

I guess I need to buy the circle pad pro?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By Hailinel

Yeahhh booo 2015?

Seems that way. I'm glad I've already got one.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: It would be sweet if they put it in a bundle.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: It would be sweet if they put it in a bundle.

You know, it's possible. They did bundle 3G in Japan with the CPP.

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I would probably have waited for 4 if it came out a little earlier than this. Now I'll just get 3 sometime during the spring.

TooSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TooSweet

I still play a few games of MH3U weekly with a co-worker/friend after we hit the comic shop. So more than likely yes.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By confusedowl

I enjoyed playing MH3U for a while but this is the Monster Hunter I've been waiting to play for a while. I'm definitely going to be picking this one up on release.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't think this sort of game suits being on the 3DS but maybe it will prove me wrong. I haven't got into the series before, but that's not for a lack of interest. In the last couple years I got really invested in Dark Souls and Final Fantasy XII. Monster Hunter seems like a bridge between the two, so I could definitely see myself getting into the series at some point. Not sure if a 3DS game would be where I'd start though. I guess I'll wait for its release.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it on WiiU, xbox 360 or PS4? Then no...

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I should really buy a 3DS....

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hailinel

@dixavd said:

I don't think this sort of game suits being on the 3DS but maybe it will prove me wrong. I haven't got into the series before, but that's not for a lack of interest. In the last couple years I got really invested in Dark Souls and Final Fantasy XII. Monster Hunter seems like a bridge between the two, so I could definitely see myself getting into the series at some point. Not sure if a 3DS game would be where I'd start though. I guess I'll wait for its release.

Hunting games likes this have actually been very popular on handhelds. The Monster Hunter series almost single-handedly kept the PSP relevant in Japan for years. It was a major coup when Nintendo convinced Capcom to transition the series to Nintendo hardware and Sony has been courting developers to create hunting games for the PSP and Vita in an effort to attract that audience back.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd much much rather play it on a console with a controller, but since there is no sign of that happening yet I may pick it up anyway.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@dixavd said:

Hunting games likes this have actually been very popular on handhelds. The Monster Hunter series almost single-handedly kept the PSP relevant in Japan for years. It was a major coup when Nintendo convinced Capcom to transition the series to Nintendo hardware and Sony has been courting developers to create hunting games for the PSP and Vita in an effort to attract that audience back.

Yeah, I totally understand why it's on 3DS. I just don't think that's where I would prefer to play a game like it. I know it's probably foolish to want to play a version on a console/PC with the game being made under a Japan-first design philosopher - a region where game sales are decreasing on everything except handhelds. I just wish it were. Especially after MH3 came out on WiiU and didn't drive that many sales, I can see why they wouldn't even bother making a non-3DS version. Maybe when the PS4 comes out in Japan, it will show a significant start and provoke them to release it on there as well, but I also doubt that since Japanese developers continued to make games for the PS2 long into the PS3's life-cycle even when sales of games on PS3 were decent.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is really gameplay of the game on 3DS? Quite impressive looking.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By StarvingGamer

@hailinel said:

@starvinggamer said:

Yeahhh booo 2015?

Seems that way. I'm glad I've already got one.

Everything I know about Monster Hunter is second-hand knowledge from 8-4 Play, but my impression is that the Circle Pad Pro is way less necessary than you might think. Something about the target camera reducing the need for manual camera control? I'm not entirely caught up on the show, but they didn't seem to think it was worth it for MH 3 Ultimate, and haven't mentioned it at all wrt 4.

Also, bundling the CPP would be tough now that there are three different 3DS form factors.

Nah, as someone with like 2000 hours invested into Monster Hunter games I can tell you that I never want my camera directly facing the monster. A target camera would be useless to me. It's too bad the 3DS is built the way it is because I would actually prefer the claw to having camera control on my right hand.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
    deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My friend tried to get me to like Monster Hunter, I just can't, so no.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Naw son.

SomeguyJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only if I can play it without needing a CPP or on the Wii U.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TowerSixteen

I think this will be the one where I finally try it. I've always been interested because the systems and philosophy to combat are really appealing to me, but I've always shied away because of its reputation for being grindy, which is a dealbreaker for me. The series deserves a chance, though.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RazielCuts

@sammo21 said:

Not unless they fundamentally change the game from how its been in the past which they won't. They honestly don't need to and they shouldn't so they won't. I don't need to like everything :p

On the internet so many people forget this last part. But yeah this guy speaks for me. Also The X game on Wii U is kinda looking Monster Hunter ish and is on a big boy system (well as big boy as Wii U can be...).

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21 said:

On the internet so many people forget this last part. But yeah this guy speaks for me. Also The X game on Wii U is kinda looking Monster Hunter ish and is on a big boy system (well as big boy as Wii U can be...).

You mean the new "Xeno" game? I really don't think that's going to be very Monster Hunter-y.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

@razielcuts said:

@sammo21 said:

You mean the new "Xeno" game? I really don't think that's going to be very Monster Hunter-y.

Well I mean in the same way as 'hunt big monsters and defeat them in an action-y real time context,' not the way it feels or anything like that. Parts of Xenoblade Chronicles seemed almost like an offline MMO, like some of the trappings of Monster Hunter Tri, I can see X going more that way with it.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#36  Edited By musubi

NEVER.

No Caption Provided

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Zeik

@razielcuts said:

@zeik said:

@razielcuts said:

@sammo21 said:

Well I mean in the same way as 'hunt big monsters and defeat them in an action-y real time context,' not the way it feels or anything like that. Parts of Xenoblade Chronicles seemed almost like an offline MMO, like some of the trappings of Monster Hunter Tri, I can see X going more that way with it.

There are plenty of games where you fight big enemies with real time combat. There are few specific mechanics that I associate with Monster Hunter that I think are necessary for a game to be considered "Monster Hunter-like", rather than just a game with some big enemies and real time combat. (If that was all that was necessary then Shadow of the Colossus would be more "Monster Hunter" than Monster Hunter.)

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell yeah I will! Monster Hunter's dope and I never got around to buying a copy of MH3U, so by the time this comes out I'll be all sorts of ready.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#40  Edited By audioBusting

Yes! I hope 8-4 is still doing the localization.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By crithon

You betcha!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Fredchuckdave

No clue what I'm doing gamewise in 2015, probably just PS+ and sit tight. 200 hours out of EU4 in the past 2 weeks, I'm sure it can go another 3-4 thousand.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By fattony12000
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

If it came to the Wii U, I would have more interest in it.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#45  Edited By TobbRobb

When will they release a new MH game for non-nintendo systems. :C

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Nope, because I don't own a 3DS.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By Justin258

@hailinel said:

@razielcuts: As if the 3DS isn't a "big boy" platform?

You get offended at the least little thing, dude.

I don't know. I've got this whole year to try out Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, so I'll find out eventually.

EDIT: Wait, do you need the circle pad pro for this?

silentghost227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

I don't know. I've got this whole year to try out Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, so I'll find out eventually.

You don't need the circle pad, but playing without it is pretty miserable.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#49  Edited By Justin258

@believer258 said:

@hailinel said:

You don't need the circle pad, but playing without it is pretty miserable.

Well, in that case, I'm probably not getting this game at all.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Nope, after trying with Monster Hunter Tri, Freedom Unite and 3 Ultimate (the latter I spent the most time with) I've come to find that the series just isn't for me. There's some fun to be had, but I'm just not interested in getting deep into it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.