Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter 4

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 13, 2015

The first 4th Generation Monster Hunter game, for Nintendo 3DS.

New trailer posted by Capcom (06/03/12)

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By JoeyRavn

I know, I know. YouTube spam and all that. But, seriously, it's the first trailer for the game (AFAIK), so I think it can get a pass... right?

The game looks pretty good, though the terrain textures are fucking bland, even for a 3DS game. I guess that you have to trade some graphic quality for all those big-ass monsters on screen, right? I don't remember the PSP games looking that bad, though. MH has never been my cup of tea, but if it's on 3DS and if it uses the Circle Pad Pro (which I assume it will), I may give it a chance.

So... discuss?

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By PufferFiz

love it but I aint buying it for the 3ds

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Pazy

It still looks like a cool game, one which ive never been able to get into, but I can see what you mean about the graphics. ITs really odd that for the third generation in a row part of the generation is stuck at PS2 graphics. Hopefully they can work a little on those textures or go stylised.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

And here I thought the 3DS had some good horsepower.
    I'm excited for the game but the gfx are silly bad.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By BraveToaster

There's got to be a better way to get a discussion started.

Too bad this isn't a PS3 game.

Dragon_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Dragon_Fire

Big MH fan but I'm not going to buy a 3DS for it, the ground textures look especially terrible, seems like they put all the graphic power (The little the 3DS has) and put it into the character, and monsters.

I really wish this was released on a console, or on the PC as a mmo, or something. Looks like I will be wait and hoping I can get into RaiderZ beta then.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WarlordPayne

The climbing stuff looks interesting, but as much as I love Monster Hunter I think I'm done with PS2 quality MH games. From the PS2 to the PSP to the Wii to the 3DS, Capcom seems so opposed to bringing MH into the current generation that they've all but killed my interest in the series.

There's only so much you can do with that level of hardware and the series has been spinning it's wheels for so long, I really hope they get their act together and put one on consoles or at least the Vita.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Hailinel

I'm just going to skip over all of the bitching and moaning abou the graphic sand say that it looks pretty good, and I'm interested to see what it looks like with the 3D turned on.

tracerace11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By tracerace11

Totally interested in this game from MH3.... but one thing in the trailer worries me (and no it is not the graphics). They seem to show a good bit of climbing and fighting at the same time. Is that supposed to be the key feature in this game? If so.... I don't know if I wanna play that. Monster Hunter is fun because of the free roaming/chasing of monsters, not set pieces on sides of mountains. I might would change my mind once I played it though. Am I the only one who noticed the amount of focus on climbing in the trailer though?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jakob187

I still haven't played any Monster Hunter games aside from the original one on PS2. I enjoyed that game, although it got boring really fast for me because I wasn't really playing online much.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cmblasko

@tracerace11 said:

Totally interested in this game from MH3.... but one thing in the trailer worries me (and no it is not the graphics). They seem to show a good bit of climbing and fighting at the same time. Is that supposed to be the key feature in this game? If so.... I don't know if I wanna play that. Monster Hunter is fun because of the free roaming/chasing of monsters, not set pieces on sides of mountains. I might would change my mind once I played it though. Am I the only one who noticed the amount of focus on climbing in the trailer though?

If they design the climbing/jumping stuff to be as open-ended and off-rails as possible, like the standard combat, it could be a great addition to the series. I agree though, I don't want a plethora of quick-time events in MH either.

Graphics do look like an odd mix; seems they are spending a lot of the system's power making the PC and monsters look good, sacrificing environmental detail in the process.

If Capcom is to be commended for something, it should be that they still primarily feature gameplay in their game trailers. Probably just fatigue from E3 but so many game trailers are so interested in showing off either CGI or their in-game cinematics instead of the actual flow of the game.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By YoungFrey

The ground does look pretty bad in that video. Worse than in Tri G by my brief YouTubing. I'd chalk at least some of this it being in development.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EXTomar

@BraveToaster said:

There's got to be a better way to get a discussion started.

Too bad this isn't a PS3 game.

Basically this. I would be interested in getting this on a console but on the 3DS that is "no thanks".

Turkalurch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Turkalurch

Didn't they hint at Tri-G or 4 coming to Vita as well?

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By TobbRobb

Watching that trailer in fullscreen on a 24" was the worst idea ever.

It looks alright on a small screen, but damn. Up close, that is some seriously ugly shit.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Bollard

@Wong_Fei_Hung: Swear that was exactly the same as the original trailer... Also hard to get excited when 3G (or Ultimate as they're calling it) only comes out in EU and US next year. 4 might come out here in the next 5 years if we're lucky?

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

@Chavtheworld said:

@Wong_Fei_Hung: Swear that was exactly the same as the original trailer... Also hard to get excited when 3G (or Ultimate as they're calling it) only comes out in EU and US next year. 4 might come out here in the next 5 years if we're lucky?

That's what I thought. I think the ending is slightly different though.

I think how soon depends on how well 3G does, or to be more precise, how much of a problem a lack of online MP poses for Western gamers in that game. When 3G comes out here, the lack of online will be a glaring omission, one that Capcom will only correct in the Wii U version that allows gamers to migrate their saves from the 3DS or Wii versions, and also take it online. I think it's a very sly ploy myself, asking gamers to buy a third version in order to take it online again.

Capcom haven't announced anything, but after all this I expect we'll see a Wii U version of Monster Hunter 4 with the similar connectivity features, down the line.

I will only be picking up 3G after the Wii U version come out, and only if it impresses me. It has to have more than just updated graphics, it needs to have ample new features that make present owners of Tri take notice in a big way.

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Nilazz

I've been waiting for a Monster Hunter with amazing looking graphics since I played it on the playstation 2, looks like I'll have to wait a little longer.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By Bollard

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@Chavtheworld said:

That's what I thought. I think the ending is slightly different though.

I think how soon depends on how well 3G does, or to be more precise, how much of a problem a lack of online MP poses for Western gamers in that game. When 3G comes out here, the lack of online will be a glaring omission, one that Capcom will only correct in the Wii U version that allows gamers to migrate their saves from the 3DS or Wii versions, and also take it online. I think it's a very sly ploy myself, asking gamers to buy a third version in order to take it online again.

Capcom haven't announced anything, but after all this I expect we'll see a Wii U version of Monster Hunter 4 with the similar connectivity features, down the line.

I will only be picking up 3G after the Wii U version come out, and only if it impresses me. It has to have more than just updated graphics, it needs to have ample new features that make present owners of Tri take notice in a big way.

It's not a 3rd version for us EU and US consumers though, as we didn't get 3G at all. For that reason 3 Ultimate is totally an awesome deal outside of Japan because it has content we haven't seen before (and online if you get a Wii U, which I won't). It's a shame the 3DS one doesn't have online too but eh, Nintendo. Maybe 4 will. I just really hope I can find someone in the UK with an interest in the series to play with come release.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.