Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter 4

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 13, 2015

The first 4th Generation Monster Hunter game, for Nintendo 3DS.

(Rumor) So Monster Hunter 4 might come to the Vita.

• 51 results
    Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By awesomeusername

I don't speak or read Japanese but I just saw this thread on ps3trophies.com that MH4 might be coming to the Vita according to this picture.

As I said, my Japanese is hidden in my brain so here's what has been translated.

The reason for the delay of the 3DS game Monster Hunter 4 isn’t to spend more time to improve the game’s quality: it appears that they’re considering a simultaneous release on PS Vita. Now, Sony is added to the mix in addition to Nintendo to discussing this point with Capcom.

Whilst originally it was said that the delay of MH4 was due to wanting to make a better quality game and graphics, the real reason appears to be that it may be released on the PS Vita to increase sales.

Now I never played a Monster Hunter game but I hear across the internet that this can boost sales for the Vita so I'm hoping it happens. I'd like more developers to make some games for my beautiful Vita.I'd also like to try it out so let us Vita owners cross our fingers. Huh? HUH???

Thoughts?

Sources:

http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/general-ps-vita-discussion/28592-rumor-monster-hunter-4-coming-playstation-vita.html

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/18/rumor-monster-hunter-4-being-prepped-for-vita-release?abthid=50f9e4508edfc2245c00000e

http://operationrainfall.com/rumour-monster-hunter-4-vita/

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Bollard

It might just save the Vita, but the 3DS already has a big hold in Japan, so unless they care about better graphics I don't know if this'll change much.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By awesomeusername

@Chavtheworld said:

unless they care about better graphics & TWO anolog sticks I don't know if this'll change much.

Fixed. (troll smile)

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Ducksworth

If true, it will get me to buy a Vita.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NegativeCero

I really hope this is true and that they make it look a little better when the bring it over.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bollard

@awesomeusername said:

@Chavtheworld said:

unless they care about better graphics & TWO anolog sticks I don't know if this'll change much.

Fixed. (troll smile)

You clearly don't play Monster Hunter.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By awesomeusername

@Chavtheworld said:

@awesomeusername said:

@Chavtheworld said:

Fixed. (troll smile)

Clear-layyyyyyy

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ducksworth

@Chavtheworld said:

@awesomeusername said:

@Chavtheworld said:

Fixed. (troll smile)

I don't understand what you're trying to say, that people prefer playing with the claw?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By BisonHero

Doesn't Nintendo have some exclusivity deal for MH4? I'd at least expect it to last for 6 months or so after release before we hear about other platforms (like how RE4 went down, or something like that). I just don't see what's in it for Capcom: they could either save a struggling platform OR just go with the platform they've already said they're going with that also happens to have millions of units sold. I guess Sony might've offered them truckloads of gold krugerrands.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By JJOR64

Capcom fucking over Nintendo again like they did with RE4?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xyzygy

@Chavtheworld said:

It might just save the Vita, but the 3DS already has a big hold in Japan, so unless they care about better graphics I don't know if this'll change much.

I'm not sure if they actually do care about better graphics. The DS sold much, much better in Japan than the PSP did and their graphical difference was nearly a generation apart, though they were from the same generation. Also, I read somewhere that in the 3DS' short lifespan of less than 2 years, it has already sold more than half of what the PSP has sold in it's lifetime (that's 9 years of sales) and ten times more than the Vita has so far in it's 13 months. These are all Japanese sales.

Needless to say, I think the market for MH4 will be focused on the 3DS.

bishna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bishna

I am against anyone who owns a console that I don't own ever feeling happiness, so I am against this.

But seriously, this is great news for Vita owners if its true (which I have a hard time believing it is). Hopefully this means there is a chance for Persona 4 Golden making it somewhere else! I will still probably get Monster Hunter 4 on 3DS though, doesn't make me want to get a vita all that much.

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Shakezula84

I can see this helping people decide between the two handhelds if they are on the fence. And don't forget the power of monster hunter. I don't care for the series too much (I really tried) but if it didn't come to PSP we wouldn't have had the last two years of games (from Japan) come out for it.

I just hope its not a lazy port. Each version should take full advantage of the systems strengths.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By Hailinel

I have a hard time believing it's true. Nintendo seems to have locked up Monster Hunter and Sony spent quite a bit of time courting publishers to give them a MH surrogate.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By DarthOrange

If it is true then it will definitely help boost Vita sales, not to the level of the 3DS but it will still be a boost non the less. Hopefully it is true because at this point the Vita doesn't have any system sellers on the horizon. It has great games to look forward to but nothing that will push someone still on the fence.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By kindgineer

I want Monster Hunter to release on an actual console. Until then, I just cannot get myself excited for them anymore. The Wii version doesn't count, btw.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EXTomar

Capcom doesn't appear to favor anyone.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WarlordPayne

@Shakezula84 said:

I just hope its not a lazy port. Each version should take full advantage of the systems strengths.

Every Monster Hunter since the first has been varying degrees of lazy, I don't expect this one to be any different.

@ck1nd said:

I want Monster Hunter to release on an actual console. Until then, I just cannot get myself excited for them anymore. The Wii version doesn't count, btw.

I thought Tri was good, but I'm with you. I want a new Monster Hunter built from the ground up for an HD console. I'm tired of Capcom rehashing the same PS2 game over and over and over again.

I love Monster Hunter, but that series could be so much more if Capcom put any effort into it.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BisonHero
    @Hailinel

I have a hard time believing it's true. Nintendo seems to have locked up Monster Hunter and Sony spent quite a bit of time courting publishers to give them a MH surrogate.

Yeah, this is basically what I was trying to say earlier. A good deal of effort has been put into promoting this as the next big game for the 3DS, and it would be strange for Capcom to mess with that. With RE4, the excuse was that the Gamecube had sold the least of all consoles and a PS2 version would sell a lot. Conversely, the 3DS is doing just fine, so why would Capcom be concerned about sales?
    Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Flappy

@WarlordPayne said:

@Shakezula84 said:

Every Monster Hunter since the first has been varying degrees of lazy, I don't expect this one to be any different.

@ck1nd said:

I thought Tri was good, but I'm with you. I want a new Monster Hunter built from the ground up for an HD console. I'm tired of Capcom rehashing the same PS2 game over and over and over again.

I love Monster Hunter, but that series could be so much more if Capcom put any effort into it.

Effort? Capcom? What?

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By KingBroly

This is the same game magazine that suggested Dragon Quest IX would be coming to the PSP as well. So I can't say they have a credible track record.

sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By sgjackson

I hope so, after playing (only) Tri I can't imagine not having two sticks for MH.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bollard

@Ducksworth said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@awesomeusername said:

@Chavtheworld said:

Fixed. (troll smile)

I don't understand what you're trying to say, that people prefer playing with the claw?

Yes. Monster Hunter relies on being able to use all the face buttons while moving and using the camera. If your thumb is on a second anaolgue stick then you can't attack or use items... It's far more efficient to use the claw method. And anyway, MH3 on the 3DS is adding a lockon camera if that's really your thing, so I assume MH4 would have it, and the second stick on the Vita won't be much use.

@xyzygy said:

@Chavtheworld said:

I'm not sure if they actually do care about better graphics. The DS sold much, much better in Japan than the PSP did and their graphical difference was nearly a generation apart, though they were from the same generation. Also, I read somewhere that in the 3DS' short lifespan of less than 2 years, it has already sold more than half of what the PSP has sold in it's lifetime (that's 9 years of sales) and ten times more than the Vita has so far in it's 13 months. These are all Japanese sales.

Needless to say, I think the market for MH4 will be focused on the 3DS.

My thoughts exactly.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ducksworth

@Chavtheworld said:

Yes. Monster Hunter relies on being able to use all the face buttons while moving and using the camera. If your thumb is on a second anaolgue stick then you can't attack or use items... It's far more efficient to use the claw method. And anyway, MH3 on the 3DS is adding a lockon camera if that's really your thing, so I assume MH4 would have it, and the second stick on the Vita won't be much use.

The time it takes for your thumb to move from the analog stick to a face button is negligible, the lengthy animations also provide you with plenty of time to adjust your view. Depending on how the lock-on feature is implemented, a second analog stick could mean the difference between having to switch between holding the 3DS normally and the claw every time you want to bring your focus to a monster that's off-screen versus moving your thumb from a face button to the analog stick.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f71e1dc474f5
    deactivated-5f71e1dc474f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No chance.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Bollard
    @Ducksworth

@Chavtheworld said:

The time it takes for your thumb to move from the analog stick to a face button is negligible, the lengthy animations also provide you with plenty of time to adjust your view. Depending on how the lock-on feature is implemented, a second analog stick could mean the difference between having to switch between holding the 3DS normally and the claw every time you want to bring your focus to a monster that's off-screen versus moving your thumb from a face button to the analog stick.

That 'negligable' time would make the game unplayable to me.
    algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By algertman

Port begging thread hiding behind a rumor thread.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#28  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Chavtheworld said:

@Ducksworth

@Chavtheworld said:

Out of curiosity, did you ever play Tri? I have always been an evangelist for the claw method on PSP but, when playing with the classic controller on the Wii, I found the placement of the D-pad relative to the analog stick too uncomfortable and ended up relying on the right analog stick for my camera controls. While it wasn't ideal, I was able to adjust and found myself at a point where I was able to perform just as well as I did when playing MHFU.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Slaegar

After playing portable third I rather like using the claw. I was a little sad when my fingers wouldn't bend right around a classic controller pro for tri. 

If Monster Hunter 4 came out for the vita, it would probably be enough to get me to buy a vita. Persona 4 Golden and Monster Hunter 4 would be a lot of hours. 

As for handhelds. I actually prefer then to full sized consoles since I can accept them being less powerful than my PC while playing on an Xbox just seems silly now.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bollard

@StarvingGamer said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@Ducksworth

@Chavtheworld said:

Out of curiosity, did you ever play Tri? I have always been an evangelist for the claw method on PSP but, when playing with the classic controller on the Wii, I found the placement of the D-pad relative to the analog stick too uncomfortable and ended up relying on the right analog stick for my camera controls. While it wasn't ideal, I was able to adjust and found myself at a point where I was able to perform just as well as I did when playing MHFU.

That's interesting. No I was unable to because I didn't have a Wii. I guess I'll see when I get the 3DS version of 3U coming out later this year whether a Vita version will even matter.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ExplodeMode

I'd be interested to see it happen if only to see what Japanese sales look like on release. There are so many 3DSs sold there and so few Vitas. I'd want to see what difference it made just for dumb armchair analysis.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By recroulette
    @Chavtheworld said:

@StarvingGamer said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@Ducksworth

@Chavtheworld said:

That's interesting. No I was unable to because I didn't have a Wii. I guess I'll see when I get the 3DS version of 3U coming out later this year whether a Vita version will even matter.

Also, if you have any of the PSP versions on Vita, you can remap the dpad to the right stick. Takes some time to adjust, but man if it isn't a lot smoother playing that way.
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By onarum

If this happens then I might get a vita, considering it's superior to the 3DS one of course... well the built in dual analog sticks against having to use a stupid peripheral would already make it superior I guess...

Of course it would forever be a MH machine at that point...

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Capcom's official statement on the matter is "don't believe everything you read".

Which doesn't surprise me. This never sounded like anything more than wishful thinking and after 3 bombs on the Wii U/3DS, I doubt we'll ever see an English version of 4 anyway. The only reason we're even getting that one is because Nintendo is publishing it.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Deusx

No matter if it's coming to the vita. It's also coming for the 3DS. Everyone knows that. It's a Monster Hunter game.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jack268
    @WinterSnowblind said:

Capcom's official statement on the matter is "don't believe everything you read".

Which doesn't surprise me. This never sounded like anything more than wishful thinking and after 3 bombs on the Wii U/3DS, I doubt we'll ever see an English version of 4 anyway. The only reason we're even getting that one is because Nintendo is publishing it.

Pretty sure Nintendo isn't publishing Ultimate.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#37  Edited By Hailinel
    @Jack268
    @WinterSnowblind said:

They're not. Capcom is.
    DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DeF

@Hailinel said:

@Jack268
    @WinterSnowblind said:

They're not. Capcom is.

Nintendo is distributing, marketing and handling the sales of the game in Europe. Basically doing everything while Capcom officially remains as publisher.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/32234

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By recroulette
    @DeF said:

@Hailinel said:

@Jack268
    @WinterSnowblind said:

They're not. Capcom is.

Nintendo is distributing, marketing and handling the sales of the game in Europe. Basically doing everything while Capcom officially remains as publisher.

That's for 3U, not 4. 
    DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DeF

@RecSpec said:

@DeF said:

@Hailinel said:

@Jack268
    @WinterSnowblind said:

They're not. Capcom is.

That's for 3U, not 4.

That's correct but irrelevant to what was mentioned above. "The only reason we're even getting that one is because Nintendo is publishing it." With "that one" being MH3U.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By recroulette
    @DeF: That's true, but MH3 started on Nintendo consoles, it would only make sense for them to finish the 3 series on Nintendo. Whatever deals were in place may change for MH4. Considering how MH is the only thing that kept the PSP from being a complete failure, it's insane that Sony wouldn't try to get a piece of the series on the Vita, maybe not at launch, but a year or two down the line. Virtue's Last Reward shows that 3DS and the VIta can have the same game without major differences. I don't think MH is completely done on a Sony handheld. Also, Capcom would be leaving a ton of money on the table by keeping it exclusive.
    DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DeF

@RecSpec: I wasn't talking about MH4, though. Strictly MH3U. You should be replying to WinterSnowblind with that post.

HeyImPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By HeyImPhoenix

Christian Svensson, Capcom’s Corporate Officer and Senior Vice-President, has told gamers not to believe everything you read on the internet. Svensson made the comment when users asked him whether or not the rumours are true about Monster Hunter 4 coming to the PlayStation Vita. The rumour stated that Capcom decided to delay the game so it could have a simultaneous release on PlayStation Vita to boost hardware sales.

“I would not believe everything you read on the internet. It will set you up for disappointment or misdirected frustration.”

Source:

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/01/19/capcom-says-dont-believe-everything-you-read-online-in-response-to-monster-hunter-4-vita/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DeF

@HeyImPhoenix: someone already pointed that out on the first page. just FYI.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@RecSpec: Maybe it will happen eventually. My only point was that Capcom seemed to had given up releasing Monster Hunter over here and the only reason we're seeing Ultimate 3, is because Nintendo stepped in. Most likely for the same reason they're publishing games like Bayonetta for the Wii U. They alienated a lot of "core gamers" and are trying to win back favour. It's not a bad idea, I just don't see MH suddenly taking off in popularity over here and if 3 does do badly, I don't think there's much chance of us seeing an English version of 4 on any platform.

HeyImPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By HeyImPhoenix

@DeF: Apologies, just realised the irony of it too. Topic:Don't believe everything you read online! Place posted: online :D

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DeF

@HeyImPhoenix said:

@DeF: Apologies, just realised the irony of it too. Topic:Don't believe everything you read online! Place posted: online :D

:-)

No Caption Provided
    Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Solh0und

Meh. Monster Hunter never really grew on me as a franchise.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Silver-Streak

I do enjoy some Monster Hunter, but is it bad I got excited when I saw this thread because I thought it said Monster Rancher?

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Solh0und

@Eujin said:

I do enjoy some Monster Hunter, but is it bad I got excited when I saw this thread because I thought it said Monster Rancher?

Nah, Monster Rancher was quite awesome back in the day.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.