Monster Hunter Frontier Ported to 360

#1 Edited by Al3xand3r (7912 posts) -

It's been revealed that the 2007 PC game Monster Hunter Frontier will get an Xbox 360 port. The game will be available at retail yet also cost 1400 yen per month for aspiring hunters (though, apparently, if they pay that, they won't need to pay the XBL fee on top). It is not yet known if the title will be released worldwide. An official page with a first video has been put online. Here's the video:

#2 Posted by JJOR64 (19512 posts) -

A monthly fee?  Well, I'm not buying this game then.

#3 Edited by Jiggah (304 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:

" A monthly fee?  Well, I'm not buying this game then. "

Do you live in Japan?  It's not even mentioned as coming out anywhere else, yet.  The reason it has a subscription in Japan is because it's popular enough to secure itself that base of people that will pay the monthly fee.  If it goes State-side or global, it likely they will change the online subscription policy.

I also wanted to added that the whole thing states "premiere title on the 360" and not exclusive to the 360.  I wonder if the PS3 will get it as well.
#4 Edited by Al3xand3r (7912 posts) -

Yeah but it's also worth noting that, Monster Hunter Tri, which will PROBABLY not have monthly fees in the West, only cost 800 yen per month in Japan. This game costs 1400 there, so it would be quite a bigger leap to completely eliminate the fee altogether. It seems the more MMO-centric changes to the gameplay require a heftier server backend out of CAPCOM's resources. But you're right, it's too early to discuss that, as it may not even release elsewhere. The PC version that's been going for three years now didn't get a release outside Japan and Korea after all. Monster Hunter Tri is pretty much the sequel to this (though not MMO-centric) and we're getting it in April so, let's worry about Frontier after that ;)

#5 Posted by JJOR64 (19512 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" Yeah but it's also worth noting that, Monster Hunter Tri, which will PROBABLY not have monthly fees in the West, only cost 800 yen per month in Japan. "
That's what I heard.  I hope that's true because I will buy the game day one if there is no stupid monthly fee for the game.
#6 Posted by Rallier (1947 posts) -

I sure was not expecting this to come out of that teaser. Wonder if they'll do a PS3 exclusive thing next.

#7 Posted by Emilio (3583 posts) -

Why do the Japanese get charged for online Monster Hunter?

#8 Posted by illmatic19 (971 posts) -
@Emilio said:
" Why do the Japanese get charged for online Monster Hunter? "
Because they are willing to pay for it. North Americans, probably not.
#9 Edited by animateria (3302 posts) -

Monthly fee on top of a Monthly fee? (Oh, oops read the OP and it's only one fee I guess.)

Great idea Capcom! 

Also, thanks for ignoring the Sony platform. The platform that started the popularity in the first place.

Anyways, I doubt I'd pay for a subscription. I vowed never to pay a subscription to anything after I was done with WoW. 

I'd rather play Monster Hunter Tri.

Now if I can just get my grubby hands on a Wii.... I need to figure out some scheme!

#10 Edited by Al3xand3r (7912 posts) -
@animateria said:

"Also, thanks for ignoring the Sony platform."

Erm, CAPCOM single handedly saved/revived the PSP with the Monster Hunter games on it. Sony can't complain.

Anyway, this is not so big as it's not a new game but a port. Like Monster Hunter G for Wii before Tri was released. It may not even be localised. Also, pretty much any crappy PC can play it so even though they aren't big on PC gaming I don't imagine it will boost Jap hardware sales for 360 much.
#11 Posted by Rallier (1947 posts) -
@animateria: It would not surprise me if Microsoft approached Capcom and commissioned them this game to get this on their system exclusively to not lose too much of its position in Japan.
#12 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7595 posts) -

The strategy they're using here is pretty clever, although you still have to pay monthly to play the game, doing so upgrades you to a Gold account, allowing you to play any other game online as well.  So essentially, you do only need a Gold account to play the game.  Not sure how much a port of an old PC game is really going to boost the sales though, if it were a totally new game, this would be insane.

I was never able to get into the PSP versions, but from what I hear they're essentially a "lite" version of this one.  If it gets released in the west, I'd definitely at least give it a look.

#13 Posted by animateria (3302 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" @animateria said:

Erm, CAPCOM single handedly saved/revived the PSP with the Monster Hunter games on it. Sony can't complain. "

Eh, the PSP is getting some Felyne game I suppose. Not that it matters much.

Come to think of it... They didn't announce a Western release for this. 

And If they (ever) do, I hope they bring along the PC version as well.   

But eh, subscriptions... bah.
#14 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7595 posts) -
@Rallier said:
" @animateria: It would not surprise me if Microsoft approached Capcom and commissioned them this game to get this on their system exclusively to not lose too much of its position in Japan. "
While I'm sure Microsoft had a hand in the plans, I'm awaiting comments like "omg, M$ paying for exclusives!1".  Despite the fact Capcom have always seemed to lean towards the 360 in the past, so I doubt this was any kind of cash deal for a timed exclusive.  It makes sense to put a Monster Hunter game on consoles after Tri on the Wii completely failed to garner much attention.  And since it's an online game, the 360 definitely has the better infrustructure to support it.

Coupled with the idea of linking MH's online fee with the XBL Gold Account is definitely a plan to make to boost XBL over there, and it means anyone who is subscriped to a gold membership, essentially gets to play MH for free.  The whole thing works out perfectly for both parties.  

Assuming the Japanese can get over the fact it's on an American console.
#15 Edited by Al3xand3r (7912 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:

It makes sense to put a Monster Hunter game on consoles after Tri on the Wii completely failed to garner much attention

So, what are you smoking today? Monster Hunter 3, on Wii, is the second highest selling home console third party game in Japan across all platforms, right below Final Fantasy XIII. Before that game, it was the highest. And it has the monthly fees there on top of that. It also far surpassed the PS2 Monster Hunter entries, which were the last home console versions before the PSP titles boosted the franchise's popularity via its obvious local co-op capabilities. That's failing to garner attention? If your ignorant talk was actually true, wouldn't they port Monster Hunter 3 itself to make up for it, instead of port a much older PC title that actually looks worse (and the Portable games aren't merely a lite version of, but flow quite differently, with many more fans buying them and Tri than Frontier) and has less core features as Monster Hunter 3 is, more or less, an actual sequel with many additions and brand-new content? As a sidenote, Monster Hunter 3 also sold just as good as the first PSP Monster Hunter game did, despite the online fees, and the obvious lack of real social local multiplayer which made Monster Hunter so popular in the first place, showing there's perhaps a similar potential for growth with future iterations, if it's handled right. But that's pure speculation so let's skip it and stick to the facts.
#16 Posted by animateria (3302 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:
" The strategy they're using here is pretty clever, although you still have to pay monthly to play the game, doing so upgrades you to a Gold account, allowing you to play any other game online as well.  So essentially, you do only need a Gold account to play the game.  Not sure how much a port of an old PC game is really going to boost the sales though, if it were a totally new game, this would be insane.  I was never able to get into the PSP versions, but from what I hear they're essentially a "lite" version of this one.  If it gets released in the west, I'd definitely at least give it a look. "

Since it has a subscription model it's able to add more content. They added more monsters and gear, most recent being giant wolves. I'm sure they have more events than the download quests on the PSP too.

I've spent 350 hours on the "lite", playing solo (HR8 Rank, or end-game Rank for those who don't know.). I can imagine how playing with other people can make this game go on forever.
#17 Posted by animateria (3302 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" @WinterSnowblind said:

@Rallier said:

" @animateria: It would not surprise me if Microsoft approached Capcom and commissioned them this game to get this on their system exclusively to not lose too much of its position in Japan.

It makes sense to put a Monster Hunter game on consoles after Tri on the Wii completely failed to garner much attention
So, what are you smoking today? Good shit? Monster Hunter 3 is the second highest selling home console third party game in Japan across all platforms, right below Final Fantasy XIII. And it has monthly fees there on top. It also far surpassed the PS2 MH entries which were the last home console versions before the PSP titles boosted the franchise's popularity via the local co-op instead of online. That's failing to garner much attention? And if your ignorant talk was actually true, wouldn't they then port Monster Hunter 3 itself to make up for it, instead of port a much older PC title? Lol? As a sidenote, Monster Hunter 3 also sold just as good as the first PSP Monster Hunter game did, despite the online fees, showing there's perhaps a similar potential for growth with future iterations, if handled right. But that's pure speculation so let's skip it and stick to the facts. " 

I bet MH3 isn't going to do as well outside of Japan, but it was the main target for Capcom Japan. And it  succeeded in gaining popularity. Frontier making it to the 360 was probably influenced by Tri, but in a more positive manner.

But I do think Capcom Japan was a bit short-sighted in their decision to put Tri on the Wii.

The general western trend of sales on the Wii isn't to kind on any hardcore game. And Monster Hunter is one of the harder titles, hell, the PSP version is the reason I thought Demon's Souls was fairly easy.

Well, MH only being a niche success in the West isn't anything new I suppose.
#18 Posted by get2sammyb (6686 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" @animateria said:

Erm, CAPCOM single handedly saved/revived the PSP with the Monster Hunter games on it. Sony can't complain.Anyway, this is not so big as it's not a new game but a port. Like Monster Hunter G for Wii before Tri was released. It may not even be localised. Also, pretty much any crappy PC can play it so even though they aren't big on PC gaming I don't imagine it will boost Jap hardware sales for 360 much. "
Haha. Yes. Very true.

The subscription idea seems like a good move.
#19 Edited by Al3xand3r (7912 posts) -
@animateria said:

"I bet MH3 isn't going to do as well outside of Japan"

I'd bet that too. Regardless of the platform it's on however. The franchise's history is telling.

If any company's marketing can get the franchise popular over here, without core changes (which could harm it there), it's Nintendo's. So yes it was a good move to collaborate. If Nintendo doesn't manage, it's not worth trying again regardless of platform. My money would go in that they'll fail if it was a bet, but it's plausible they can achieve decent results as well. We'll see. It will certainly not do as good as in Japan, but it may yet surprise us.
#20 Posted by zudthespud (3326 posts) -

Trailer makes it look like a PSP game, I would much rather see a full price game that gets the most out of the 360. 

I would pay 1200 points for this, without a monthly fee.

#21 Posted by animateria (3302 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" @animateria said:

"I bet MH3 isn't going to do as well outside of Japan"

I'd bet that too. Regardless of the platform it's on however. The franchise's history is telling. If any company's marketing can get the franchise popular over here, without core gameplay changes (which could harm it there), it's Nintendo's. So, yes, it was a good move to collaborate. If Nintendo doesn't manage to do that, then it's not worth trying again regardless of platform. My money would go in that they'll fail if it was a real bet, but then again it seems plausible that they can achieve decent results as well. We'll see. "

A whole Wii bundle would have been great. A controller bundle for 59.99 is a good deal, but anyone on the fence like me without a Wii isn't going to jump in easily. 

But hey, Nintendo USA and Capcom USA probably don't have enough faith in the game to collaborate on a deal like that.  This isn't Japan, and Nintendo knows not to risk something with an uncertain track record outside of it.

The marketing is going to be up to Capcom USA, and so far their focus seems to be on original MH fans.  (All their Tri events were posted on Capcom-Unity, which means Capcom fans or MH fans were their primary audience)

I'm guessing they need to try to sell the Wii to them rather than Tri itself! 

Anyways, as long as the series does well in Japan. No worries for sequels.
#22 Edited by Al3xand3r (7912 posts) -

In Europe the marketing is all up to Nintendo, there was a recent press release. I'm sure there's some sort of collaboration in NA as well. And of course they want to attract their fans, but I'm sure you'll see tons of mainstream media advertisements closer to release. It's still far for now.

#23 Posted by animateria (3302 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" In Europe the marketing is all up to Nintendo, there was a recent press release. I'm sure there's some sort of collaboration in NA as well. And of course they want to attract their fans, but I'm sure you'll see tons of mainstream media advertisements closer to release. It's still far for now. "
We shall see...

At least it's a late April release. :P

March is for Murder... Murder by FFXIII.
#24 Posted by PufferFiz (1461 posts) -

I Saw this and thought, Who is this for?
And this has to be some sort of gimic from Microsoft to get something MH related on their console Because if anyone wanted to play MHF they would have on their PC. The MMO PC market is very large in japan much more so that the console counterpart. And if anyone wanted to play the game with a 360 control they could have since mapping keys to a joypad is easy. So who is this for? Who is going to buy it? I mean I am sure the HF elites will come out for it and there will be some sort of boost for the 360 for a wile. But Again this is a old game. It is like a ps2 game old ported NOW. I just don't see the benefit to this game. It it seems to late, And I don't see a significant market for this subscription type game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.