Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Dec 01, 2010

The fourth Monster Hunter game on PSP evolves the series by building on the best features from previous series entries, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite for PSP and Monster Hunter Tri for Wii.

Monster Hunter 3rd Coming to PS3 In HD REMAKE! - THANK YOU JESUS!

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel
    SOURCE!
    U-Stream of Event

THANK YOU GOD!  THANK YOU SO MUCH!  OH MY GOD, I KNEW TODAY COULDNT BE THE WORLD"S END! 

I play MHP3rd almost every week via Ad-Hoc Party with my Japanese friends, and I fucking love playing it.  I love MHP, I love that series to fucking death and holy fucking shit it's been confirmed.

I am importing this day one, or buying it from the JP PSN store.  

Holy fucking shit, this is the best thing Capcom has done in fucking years!  THANK YOU JESUS!  

Features

• 3D Mode
    • Synced Saves Between PSP and PS3
    • Dual Analog Support
    • Online Needing Ad-Hoc Party, Reports saying it still uses Ad-Hoc Party >_>

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By beforet

So is this Monster Hunter Tri? Or was that only on the Wii? Either way, this is some neat news. I might actually play one of these games now.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Beforet: NO!  THIS IS THE PROPER MH GAME!

The PSP game.  The proper MHP3rd.
    Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Dope. 

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Enigma777

Fuck that. I don't want an up-ressed port of a PSP game. I want a proper game build from the ground up for the PS3. 

Terry_Bogard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Terry_Bogard
    @Enigma777 said:
    Fuck that. I don't want an up-ressed port of a PSP game. I want a proper game build from the ground up for the PS3. 

This. New MH game for HD consoles. 
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Terry_Bogard said:
    @Enigma777 said:
    I'm sure this is them judging the market for this sort of game.
    Terry_Bogard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Terry_Bogard
    @Doctorchimp: Seems more like a quick cash in to me. =\
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Enigma777
    @Doctorchimp said:
    @Terry_Bogard said:
    @Enigma777 said:
    I'm sure this is them judging the market for this sort of game.
    Judging the market? Fans have been clamoring for this for YEARS (ever since MHF first took off)!! I remember all the pissed off people when they announced Monster Hunter Tri was going to be for the Wii. 

No, this is just Capcom being fucking stupid like always.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Enigma777: At least it's something, and MHP3rd never came stateside so the HD Remake is the best bet for people outside of Japan.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Enigma777: I never said Capcom was the greatest company in the world.

But they've been trying to get Monster Hunter to take off in the states for years. Them going for the Wii while pleasing the insane portable market in Japan is them making money off of it.

Also the small minority clamoring for it online is nothing when talking about trying to get a game with a huge budget off the ground. Now you get the 5,000 vocal fans to buy your game.

And you're still massively in debt with nothing to show for it, that's what they are afraid of.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Enigma777
    @KaosAngel: I'm pretty sure it's supposed to come out this year.
    Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By Chris2KLee

Yep, I'm pretty hyped. Should be out this summer so I'll be transferring my save to the big screen!

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Enigma777: The HD remake is out summer, so Capcom is better off just putting the HD remake at the same time for America.  For most Americans, they're rather have HD Remake instead of PSP version.  

Making a MH ground up for the PS3 wouldn't work outside of Japan, the 10 of us interested in it would pick up the JP versions to play with the real people who play anyway.  >_>
    Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Sayishere

While im not as excited as you, i did play MHP2g with a translation patch alot, so im down for this.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Enigma777
    @Doctorchimp:   It hasn't taken off in the US cause no one here plays on their PSPs. There's no proper online play either (unless you count Adhoc Party which is a relatively new release for the US). In order to make it popular, Capcom needs a game that properly integrates online multiplayer. So what do they do? They pick the fucking Wii cause online play is it's strong suit, right? 

You're not going to bring in new fans to the franchise by offering them a spruced-up PSP game. It's just not going to happen. But no. Capcom will just reuse the same goddamn assets its been using since the original PS2 game and then say "We tried but people didn't buy it" and blame it on the fans. 

@KaosAngel: I highly doubt the remake will hit the US this year (if at all). At the minimum it will be a 4-month wait till it gets localized. 

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By WinterSnowblind

They did say MHP3 would be releasing in English.. but not on the PSP.  A lot of people assumed it was getting an NGP or 3DS port, but I guess this is what they meant.  Personally, I'm not that excited.  I do really love the series, but for me it's like Pokemon, something that just works far better on a handheld.  I'd rather be playing it with a friend in the same room, than online.  Porting a PSP game up to the PS3 is hardly the glorious console version people have been waiting for either.

Hoping we still see some version come for the NGP then.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#18  Edited By Icemael

Does it have proper camera control?

Because it it does, I am so buying this.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BraveToaster

I was hoping that it wasn't a remake of a game that I already own. And seriously, why is it ad-hoc?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By ProfessorEss

Id love to try this out, but I'm not playing a game (especially one with as much potential text as this one) if it isn't in english - which I'm assuming won't happen?
    I saw things I like in the bits of the PSP MH I tried but they just controlled way to lousily.

I have no knowledge of the franchise so an up-rezzed port is fine with me.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AhmadMetallic

added to the 2011 thread!

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Icemael
    godarc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#23  Edited By godarc

@WinterSnowblind said:

They did say MHP3 would be releasing in English.. but not on the PSP. A lot of people assumed it was getting an NGP or 3DS port, but I guess this is what they meant. Personally, I'm not that excited. I do really love the series, but for me it's like Pokemon, something that just works far better on a handheld. I'd rather be playing it with a friend in the same room, than online. Porting a PSP game up to the PS3 is hardly the glorious console version people have been waiting for either.
    Hoping we still see some version come for the NGP then.

I also prefer this on the PSP; I am rarely at home to play on my home consoles anyway, and like you, I prefer playing with someone in person than online.  I really should just move to Japan, as the  gaming demographic there fits mine more than the American concept of staying at home and playing a multiplayer on a big screen.  However, note that this HD version for the PS3 comes with the option to save and continue playing on the PSP.  It sounds like a good compromise to me; new fans and the folks who have always wanted it on the bigscreen will have it, and those who prefer it on the PSP/NGP will have it.

@Enigma777 said:

@Doctorchimp

: It hasn't taken off in the US cause no one here plays on their PSPs. There's no proper online play either (unless you count Adhoc Party which is a relatively new release for the US). In order to make it popular, Capcom needs a game that properly integrates online multiplayer. So what do they do? They pick the fucking Wii cause online play is it's strong suit, right?

You're not going to bring in new fans to the franchise by offering them a spruced-up PSP game. It's just not going to happen. But no. Capcom will just reuse the same goddamn assets its been using since the original PS2 game and then say "We tried but people didn't buy it" and blame it on the fans. 

I believe MH on the PS3 can gain new fans; it just won't keep them.  The demographic of most PS3 games do not really fit the Monster Hunter fanbase (they already have games such as Lost Planet (1&)2). I think that most American gamers like games with a terminating storyline.  The reason a lot of people I know stopped playing Monster Hunter is not only because it was on the PSP; it was also because the game essentially can be played forever, collecting every single ingredient/material and creating every piece of equipment (this is why fans keep buying the expansions, even though there essentially is no real difference between the games). The American gaming demographic just doesn't go for that.  So yeah, I agree, this franchise will be kept afloat by the old fanbase, which is just not strong enough stateside.  In order to ensure the success of this game in the U.S., Capcom needs to accept the fact that American gamers differ from Japanese gamers.
    Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By Nasos100

I would love if someone could explain to me what this series is about. IS it like an MMO ? Since it gets released on ps3 could i play with random people via psn?

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By thehexeditor

I feel like there is something intrinsically wrong with Monster Hunter in its current state that makes it unappealing to a Western audience. Can't put my finger on it, but yeah.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By benjaebe

Just heard about this. They're going to be bringing a bunch of PSP games to the PS3 with updated graphics and such. Maybe if they brought P3P over, I'd finally have a Persona game on my PS3.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#27  Edited By Hailinel
    @KaosAngel said:
    @Beforet: NO!  THIS IS THE PROPER MH GAME!The PSP game.  The proper MHP3rd.
    Since when was Tri not a proper Monster Hunter game?
    Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SuperWristBands

Looks like I'll actually try to play a Monster Hunter game for longer then a few hours now.

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By thegoldencat7

Hopefully they end up re-releasing the PSP MGS games for the PS3. They were pretty much the only reason I ever vaguely considered buying one.
    Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @thegoldencat7 said:
    Hopefully they end up re-releasing the PSP MGS games for the PS3. They were pretty much the only reason I ever vaguely considered buying one.
    This would be the best idea. I want them to do that.
    bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bwheeeler

So, I'm completely and totally unfamiliar with Monster Hunter games, but the trailer for this looked kind of cool and I know it's huge in Japan. So:

What is Monster Hunter?
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Enigma777
    @spazmaster666: Wrong game, bro. 
    Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Raineko
    @Enigma777 said:

So what? Monster Hunter is Monster Hunter, they are always using the same engine it's just with worse graphics on the PSP and the content isn't small either. You shouldn't care unless you have played the PSP version already of course.
    Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34  Edited By Keeng
    @thehexeditor said:

I feel like there is something intrinsically wrong with Monster Hunter in its current state that makes it unappealing to a Western audience. Can't put my finger on it, but yeah.

Having started playing it a few years ago simply because I wanted to know what all the hype was, I feel like I've learned why people here adopt to it so slowly. Monster Hunter is not an easy game. It's not a game designed for you to just experience it. The game is really, really serious about making you good at it. There is no casual way to approach it and western audiences are all about the casual, accessible games. It's designed in a lot of ways like Demon's Souls. They're kind of like, "Either learn this game and you'll love it or try to play it like other games and you'll be left out." If there had been a PS3 version of Monster Hunter by now, I can guarantee it would have been at least as successful as DS is. 
    @MagikOvenMit said:

So, I'm completely and totally unfamiliar with Monster Hunter games, but the trailer for this looked kind of cool and I know it's huge in Japan. So:

What is Monster Hunter?
    Hmm... Perhaps this should be discussed in a different thread? I guess a short explanation is it's a four-player co-op action game, but it consists entirely of boss fights and has a focus on upgrading equipment. Equipment is upgraded by loot dropped from bosses and the more bosses you beat, the more boss fights you unlock. It becomes an addictive loop: beat a boss->unlock new bosses->get parts to upgrade new gear/weapons in order to->beat a new boss. It kinda cycles like that. 

But we're talking more than 50 bosses and most of them will take over 40 minutes to defeat, plus those bosses grow stronger or team up with other ones, or learn new attacks, or... it's fucking awesome. It takes upwards of 200 hours to see every boss or piece of equipment and there are always incentives to play beyond that.

EDIT: I know this is a long post put I just have to add: there's almost nothing that could be announced at E3 that would be more exciting to me than this game. The original post summed up my feelings about this game perfectly. 
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By keyhunter

I hope whoever is developing this game goes out of business.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By KaosAngel
    @keyhunter said:
    ....why?
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By keyhunter
    @KaosAngel said:
    @keyhunter said:
    ....why?
    They keep tricking me into buying the same game.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By KaosAngel
    @keyhunter said:
    @KaosAngel said:
    @keyhunter said:
    ....why?
    They keep tricking me into buying the same game.
    ...but did you buy MHP3rd?  
    Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39  Edited By Keeng
    @Axxol: It's ad-hoc so you can still play with PSP owners.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Icemael

New footage:   

It begins at 16:00 and ends at 27:20. The rest of the video consists of the old trailer, and Japanese people talking about god knows what.
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By onarum

@KaosAngel :
    I never had a psp so I didn't play any of the MH games besides TRI, what are the main differences between this one and the wii one?

I sincerely don't know, I'm not trying to be a smart ass or anything.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By KaosAngel

Tri is strangely a smaller game compared to MHP3.   

The Portable series is now seen as the proper releases and has most of the monsters, items, equips, and whatnot.

Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jesus

Your welcome?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'm interested, wish the online wasn't that ad-hoc party bullshit though.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By onarum

But is a english localized version confirmed?

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By KaosAngel
    @onarum: Not yet for some reason MH doesn't do well here, which is a shame...the games are so good. 
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By onarum
    @KaosAngel said:
    @onarum: Not yet for some reason MH doesn't do well here, which is a shame...the games are so good. 
    God I hope they do... that would be sweet, then I can retire my wii for good, the only thing I'll play on it occasionally is MH.
    Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Portable 3rd didn't have the underwater battles.  That'd be a shame, because they added a great bit of atmosphere and changed up the fights in a big way.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By KaosAngel

Yeha, there's no underwater stuff...but I never liked them so no complaints on my end.   It might have to do with PSP limitations so you can bet that MHP4 for NGP will have the underwater battles.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.