Boss fights sure can be long

#1 Posted by Rallier (1739 posts) -

I suppose that this is traditional Monster Hunter fare but some of those boss fight actually nerve wrecking long... I just had a 40 Min fight against Giggnox (and lost...) and I actually feel tired. I suppose that once you get used to them that you will be able to kill them before you start wanting to strangle yourself with the nunchuck cord. After all i can beat the bananasaurus pretty fast now but even that took me quite some time to get there.

Monster Hunter sure is... special. 

Talking about special, here is my current gear:

#2 Posted by Bucketdeth (8045 posts) -

Wow, if I had a 40 minute battle and lost I would probably shit everywhere and cover myself in it.

#3 Posted by Rallier (1739 posts) -
What if i told you that you lost that 40 minutes fight because you ran out of potions and you were stuck in a corner?
#4 Posted by Bucketdeth (8045 posts) -
@Rallier said:
" What if i told you that you lost that 40 minutes fight because you ran out of potions and you were stuck in a corner? "
Probably make me even more pissed off, I'd most likely then drown myself in organic yogurt while regurgitating the stir fry I had for supper and then lick it all up.
#5 Posted by Xeiphyer (5608 posts) -
@Rallier: Those kinds of fights can certinatly happen, but unless your dealing with end game level monsters, it shouldn't really happen =P

You might want to try getting some better equips, or go online for a while and come back to it. Or try stocking up on items like traps (with extra trap tools and nets to make more), and flash or sonics (Whatever works on it). Another good idea is to bring 10 mega pots, 10 pots, 10 herbs, 10 blue mushrooms, and 10 honey (or more of what you can bring more of) that way you can make tons of mega potions during the fight.

Also check that your armor isn't giving you a big negative element bonus against the monster, that can make a difference but isn't easily solvable until you get new armor. If thats the case just go online or do other quests until you get better shit.

Sometimes you just gotta figure out that one trick to beating the monster, and then everything falls into place.

Oh one more tip, watch for when the monster gets into its rage mode, there is generally some way to tell.. be it a physical change or breathing black smoke.. something. When its like that, its best to just avoid it until it goes out of it. Saves on potions =P
#6 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -

Sounds awesome, can't wait to get it.  The thought doesn't deter me in the slightest.

#7 Posted by RipAndTear (125 posts) -

Gigginox is significantly weakest to fire and you're using a Ludroth water-lance. Get your hands on some fire weapons, duder!

#8 Posted by Rallier (1739 posts) -
@Xeiphyer: @RipAndTear: Thanks for the tips, i had no idea that it had a weak for fire. I was pretty badly stocked up but since i managed to keep damaging it I kept the fight going. I would have preferred to be destroyed in 2 hits from the start instead of having it happen to me after 40 minutes of struggle. That big rock monster in the lava world at least had the courtousy to do that ^^

I've since upgraded my gear somewhat. So long as it does not hit me with anything fire based i should survive. Now i just hope that I'll be able to poke it to pieces before the time runs out.
#9 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

You need to evade more. Try a different weapon if you can't do it with the lance. A great sword is a good choice for most early monsters (not the Barroth, what a bitch, it took me three tries) from what I've seen, as long as you don't get impatient. With it, you need to dodge a lot and only strike when you're sure you have time for it, but the power of the great sword makes up for that, especially if you get charged hits in. I never take so many potions as adviced, I only do with 10 mega pots. I did regret it a couple times but I figure if I need to use so many I'm doing something wrong that I need to improve than just fill my inventory with stuff. Anyway, just watch the bosses' movements carefully, you can easily tell what they're about to do with the exception of some moves so then just roll/dive/whatever out of the way, and hit them while they take the time to turn around and face you again (or keep your distance if they seem like they'll do a sweeping move instead). Perhaps you're mostly using the block with the lance due to the slowness but you should still mostly evade, as blocking often isn't that helpful, since it leaves you in front of the monster still, ready for it to do another attack. Just run around the enemies, so that they do moves that miss, and you get a window to hit them before they refocus. Just like they can hit you during an attack animation, or after a miss if you're not careful, you basically do the same.

#10 Posted by RipAndTear (125 posts) -

Unless a Rathian pops in for Gigginox tea, you'll be fine regarding any fire damage. Keep your guard up and happy hunting!

Rip and tear, nya~
#11 Posted by Rallier (1739 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" You need to evade more. Try a different weapon if you can't do it with the lance.

Perhaps you're mostly using the block with the lance due to the slowness but you should still mostly evade, as blocking often isn't that helpful, since it leaves you in front of the monster still, ready for it to do another attack. Just run around the enemies, so that they do moves that miss, and you get a window to hit them before they refocus. Just like they can hit you during an attack animation, or after a miss if you're not careful, you basically do the same. "
I have yet to give him another shot but i think that i'll be fine this time around. Going for another weapon isn't really an option since well I'm broke and i don't really want to gather the materials needed for another type of weapon.

I favour blocking over evading with the lance when it comes to the bigger monsters. The speed you walk with your lance is quite slow and they will get to you anyway and unlike most of the other weapons the lance dodge is just a swift sidestep that unfortunate will not get you far enough to not get hit by most of them. 

Taking a hit on the shield and then landing a couple of pokes works quite well actually, Gigginox is a bit like the bananasaurus in that aspect. Although the lance charge attack is a quite less effective on it since it is standing on its two feet. It is the Gigginox poison attack that is the biggest problem really because putting back your lance to pop an antidote takes quite a while and it is during that that i got most of my damage in that fight.
#12 Posted by animateria (3253 posts) -

Water is probably not a good element against a Giggi... At all.

I found my first fight against him last the usual 20 minutes (I think I used a hammer in my first try, I've killed him with a LS, GS, and a hammer so my memory is a bit blurry).

He actually isn't that hard to fight once you get used to his patterns (Which was confusing for me at first, but gotten the hang of after 10 minutes). 

BTW if your walking with your weapon out, your probably not going to do enough damage, the Giggi doesn't stand still all that often, leaping around you and what not.  

BTW if you're getting poison often you should change your weapon to something that doesn't have you facing the monster. It's easy to never get poisoned if your on it's side, since the only poison attack that might hit you is the poison slam.

#13 Posted by Rallier (1739 posts) -

I've ended up beating him yesterday. It still took me 25 minutes and i used some explosive kegs to set it on fire every now and then. The poison still was a huge issue. Him leaping all over the place was indeed extremely annoying with the lance. 

At the end i also realised what i was poking in with my lance, which was odd...

Well it is up for the next monster. I'm thinking of taking Diablos down now but i'll need to stock up on those sonic bombs since they appear to hit him knock out every-time he is digging.

#14 Posted by jakob187 (21735 posts) -
@Bucketdeth said:
" Wow, if I had a 40 minute battle and lost I would probably shit everywhere and cover myself in it. "
Then don't play Lost Planet 2 apparently!!!  ZING!!!
#15 Posted by Rallier (1739 posts) -

Ok so Diablos was fun... I had to bail out in the last 5 minutes because he just wouldn't die... 

Why the that timer even there? It is extremely discouraging. I would have preferred if they would have put in place some ranking system based on how long you took to beat a level and that you needed to get an overall grade in that quest set to unlock the next set of quests. At least that way players wouldn't be forced to play aggressively all the time and it would be possible to get new gear. 

Haaa Monster Hunter...

#16 Edited by McSmunions (582 posts) -

i just beat diablos last night actually, my humble tip: bring as many sonic bombs and traps as you can. when he's raging start using pitfalls and you'll get a lot more hits in than a shock trap. also i used a long sword and just kept getting right under him and hacking away. ended up doing really well and only used 3 mega potions along with the first-aids.

it was the last the fight of the night and i figured, what the heck, i'll try this cheap ass monster again. haha sure enough.

#17 Posted by Rallier (1739 posts) -
@McSmunions: Thanks for the tip. I did bring along 10 Sonic Bombs but i missed quite a lot of them because you really need to throw then just when its tails enters the sand and not a second later or sooner. I shall also bring some traps along the next time. My biggest problem with the lance is that Diablos (a bit like that other big rock monster) keeps moving around all the time and it just takes way to long before i can land some new hits. I'm sure that in multiplayer this will be less of an issue though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.