Can this be played with a Gamecube controller?

#1 Posted by CowMuffins (1760 posts) -

Or do I need to get a classic controller? I don't want to pay for some unnecessary thing, but there also isn't any way in hell I'm using a wii remote for this game.

#2 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

Gamecube controllers are not supported on this as far as I know. Classsic controller and Wii Remote/Nunchuk only.

#3 Posted by CowMuffins (1760 posts) -

Sadface.

#4 Posted by Driadon (2998 posts) -
#5 Posted by ColinWright (741 posts) -

why not just pick up that bundle?

#6 Posted by CowMuffins (1760 posts) -
@wh4tshisface said:
" why not just pick up that bundle? "
Why pay extra if it's not needed? And is the bundle like $60?
#7 Posted by ColinWright (741 posts) -
@CowMuffins said:
" @wh4tshisface said:
Why pay extra if it's not needed? And is the bundle like $60? "
i believe so. but, if you cant use a gc controller so it is needed.
#8 Posted by CowMuffins (1760 posts) -
@wh4tshisface said:
" @CowMuffins said:
" @wh4tshisface said:
i believe so. but, if you cant use a gc controller so it is needed. "
Well, I didn't know that. So I made this thread. Anyways! Yeah, I'll be picking up the bundle and hopefully I can convince my other friend to get the game as well. Thanks for the reply guys.
#9 Posted by agentboolen (1789 posts) -

Yea that sucks, i own a Gamecube controller and prefer to use that instead of  shelling out the money for the classic controller.

#10 Posted by ajGambino (11 posts) -

I never thought about that. They should have a gamecube controller setting for this game...but then again, they probably wouldn't sell as much bundles with the CCP.
#11 Posted by Hailinel (24877 posts) -
@CowMuffins said:
" @wh4tshisface said:
Well, to be fair, the Classic Controller Pro is better than the original Classic Controller, and it can be used for far more than just Monster Hunter.
#12 Posted by animateria (3253 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @CowMuffins said:
" @wh4tshisface said:
Well, to be fair, the Classic Controller Pro is better than the original Classic Controller, and it can be used for far more than just Monster Hunter. "
Not to mention that the game alone will cost $50. It's only a $10 difference for a CCP bundle.
#13 Posted by Genjai (300 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @CowMuffins said:
" @wh4tshisface said:
Well, to be fair, the Classic Controller Pro is better than the original Classic Controller, and it can be used for far more than just Monster Hunter. "
No kidding. I've been holding out for the pro model for quite some time now. Glad the wait is finally over. I also played the MH3 demo with the remote + nunchuck... it was tough, but after about 3 hours it was manageable.
#14 Posted by xyzygy (9999 posts) -

Are the controls bad with the wii remote... and is the Classic Controller Pro out yet? The one with the grips

#15 Posted by animateria (3253 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" Are the controls bad with the wii remote... and is the Classic Controller Pro out yet? The one with the grips "
It came out with the bundle, but I believe the controller is $20 separately and should technically be out.

And well, I dislike the Wii Remote controls, as you know all the buttons on the damn thing is all over the controller. MH3 uses a lot of those buttons and it's a pain to shift your hand all over it. I mean hell, A and (-) are the attack buttons, and the D-pad is the camera. My right thumb is doing too much work.
#16 Posted by Hailinel (24877 posts) -
@animateria said:
" @xyzygy said:
" Are the controls bad with the wii remote... and is the Classic Controller Pro out yet? The one with the grips "
It came out with the bundle, but I believe the controller is $20 separately and should technically be out.  And well, I dislike the Wii Remote controls, as you know all the buttons on the damn thing is all over the controller. MH3 uses a lot of those buttons and it's a pain to shift your hand all over it. I mean hell, A and (-) are the attack buttons, and the D-pad is the camera. My right thumb is doing too much work. "
The demo disc came packaged with a poster-sized diagram listing the Wii Remote controls for all of the different weapon types.  That was pretty imposing.
#17 Posted by CenturionCajun (1461 posts) -

It makes sense from a business point of view not to support the Gamecube controller. Nintendo doesn't make those anymore and wants to push their new Classic Controller Pro. Since we can all probably agree that playing with the Wii Remote and Nunchuck probably won't be ideal for this game I think that bundle is going to sell briskly. At least for those people who actually will pick up Monster Hunter Tri.

#18 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -

I have no Classic Controller, so this is the perfect opportunity to get one - the new one to be exact.  Without a doubt, I am picking up the bundle.

#19 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
The controls aren't bad with the Wiimote at all. However, it doesn't bother to use any of the Wiimote's features like pointer and motion control.

The Classic Controller Pro is bundled with Monster Hunter 3, it's out already.
#20 Posted by RichieJohn (525 posts) -

I want to play with the Wiimote and Nunchuck I always prefer using them for Wii  games. I got rid of my classic controller pro and ordered a old school classic. 
 I love the snes look and the z placement is fine

#21 Posted by ColeStauffer (1 posts) -

i'm just going to wait 2 months and ask for a classic controller & wii speak for my birthday

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.