Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter Tri

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Apr 20, 2010

The first third-generation Monster Hunter game, Monster Hunter 3 (tri) represents a reboot to the franchise, with dozens of new monsters, items, weapons, and underwater combat.

What are the most used weapons online?

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By rallier

I've not played all that much of the online but so far it looks like most of the people are rocking the great sword and the blade&shield. I've seen some switch axe users as well and a couple of hammers but not as many compared to the great swords and blade&shield users. I've only met one guy who used the long sword but that must be because you only unlock the longsword later in the single player campaign. Bowgun users and lancers seem to be completely absent which makes me feel  that i look a bit like an odd duck since i rock a lance that looks like a remote lightning antenna. Well it might also be because i have a Jaggi Head hat ^^ 

It is a bit macabre when you think of it
     It is a bit macabre when you think of it
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Mmmslash

All of the folks I play with either use the LS or the GS. A couple use SnS.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Xeiphyer
    @Rallier: Loving that Jaggi head. Those hats are always hilarious. I remember in the older monster hunters I would sometimes wear a Bullfango head with the Diablos armor, and look like a big minotaur thing. (Those names might mean nothing if you haven't played em =p)

Also in my experience with the first MH game (The only other actual online game), a lot of people use greatswords and SnS in the beginning since they are more widely available and definitely easier to use.

Hammer players are generally very experienced since they offer no guard and some long attack animations, plus they are pretty slow. I would say these are generally the least used overall.

Longswords are fucking badass, so they are used fairly often, however noob players get destroyed very fast because of the lack of guard. Also in this one they unlock late, so its not that surprising that there aren't many.

As a Lance wielder, I can attest to them being extremely difficult to use, since they have narrow attacks. However they have badass blocking and a cool charging move. More of em will show up later. I still miss gunlances a ton though =/

As for bowguns, I haven't touched them yet since they are expensive. I imagine thats the same for everyone else, they plan to try them out later when they get some more money... Little do they know that monster hunter keeps you broke.
    RipAndTear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By RipAndTear

It seems like every team I join will always have a Great Sword and SnS , the final space usually being a Longsword. Can't say I've seen many Lances and bowguns, Xeiphyer is certainly right about the price.
    I feel very alone as a Hammer hunter, slowly working on his Iron Striker.

Nice Jaggi head by the way, I've grown quite attached to my Barroth helm myself.

Senhasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Senhasa

I'm mostly seeing Greatswords, Longswords, Lances & Switch Axes. Bowgunners are extremely rare, and both SnS and Hammer users seem a bit uncommon.

I've pretty much used nothing but Greatswords so far, with a Focus + Critical Draw armor set. Might make some Lance sets soon and start using those too.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By animateria

I've always seen some hammer user around but them along with gunners get knocked out more often than any other weapon user.  The GS and LS and SA make up the majority at HR40. I've seen enough hammers, lancers around too. Gunner is rare as usual, which is obvious because even I can't wrap my head around making a good gun combination, let alone shoot with it.

The primary weapons I make are the GS, LS and Hammer. Though I see myself using the GS and LS more often due to their 'party friendliness'.

The hammer requires some careful super slam placements to not smack other players around. I find myself considering the position of other hunters more than the monster, which takes out the fun of  KOing the monster a bit. (Only a little bit, KOs are always satisfying)

The GS just needs to not use the upswing, and the LS might trip up people when doing the spirit combo but generally other players don't suffer too much. I find a lot of lancers smacking me away from the action with their charge though. They do it when the monster tripped, totally taking away my chance at some free hits.

SnS... Well, I'm always wondering if they do enough DPS. I find the hunts last longer when there's an SnS in the group. I prefer to have none.

Anyways at HR40 I see a lot more SA users than before, which I find getting knocked out as often as the hammer and gunners. They do a lot of damage though, fights go pretty fast with them around.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By rallier
    @animateria said:
    " The GS just needs to not use the upswing, and the LS might trip up people when doing the spirit combo but generally other players don't suffer too much. I find a lot of lancers smacking me away from the action with their charge though. They do it when the monster tripped, totally taking away my chance at some free hits.  "
    Yeah i've accedentally done that a couple of times with my lance... It is hard because when the monsters are down the charge can do some devastating damage since it will get "stuck" in the monster, especially when you are doing it from a close range and your stamina bar is completely full or even boosted. I guess that the use of Wii Speak would be usefull there just so you could warn the others when your are coming. Although some players lack the experience (and perhaps the wits) to not go and stand next to someone when a monster is down.

Most of the times that i've hit a fellow hunter with the lance was when he decides to move next to another player when i'm already closing in.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.