Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Morality System

Concept »

Moral dilemmas presented to the player that often have a significant effect on the story or other characters.

The Moral Quandry

MrBeabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By MrBeabo

Good vs. Evil
    Good vs. Evil
    How do you play games with morality complexes?

I have almost always approached such games with a singular focus.  I am good.  Wholesome.  A saint.  Friggin Beaver Cleaver.  It's not necessarily because that is how I would always react in a situation (because some punks just need to be smacked, I'm looking at you club owner in Mass Effect) but rather because I feel that is how the game is supposed to be played.  Rewards generally are more plentiful to the good side, and the story flows more coherently when played from the good perspective.  But this really limits my value of a game, at least playwise.  This is because there is a whole other side of the game I rarely see.  Until now.

See, I finally positied to myself that I need to play the "bad" side first.  Then I have to go back to play the "good" way in order (in my mind) to  play the game the right way.  I have done this with Fallout 3 and Fable 2, and it has effectively doubled the hours I get out of my games.  

So my questions to the internets, or whoever stumbles on this blog post, are:  Which side do you play first and do you play the other side at all?

MrBeabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MrBeabo

Good vs. Evil
    Good vs. Evil
    How do you play games with morality complexes?

I have almost always approached such games with a singular focus.  I am good.  Wholesome.  A saint.  Friggin Beaver Cleaver.  It's not necessarily because that is how I would always react in a situation (because some punks just need to be smacked, I'm looking at you club owner in Mass Effect) but rather because I feel that is how the game is supposed to be played.  Rewards generally are more plentiful to the good side, and the story flows more coherently when played from the good perspective.  But this really limits my value of a game, at least playwise.  This is because there is a whole other side of the game I rarely see.  Until now.

See, I finally positied to myself that I need to play the "bad" side first.  Then I have to go back to play the "good" way in order (in my mind) to  play the game the right way.  I have done this with Fallout 3 and Fable 2, and it has effectively doubled the hours I get out of my games.  

So my questions to the internets, or whoever stumbles on this blog post, are:  Which side do you play first and do you play the other side at all?

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By PureRok

I can't play a bad character. No matter how hard I try I end up being good by the end.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Stang

I have no problem leaving morality at the door when it comes to games. Interestingly enough, no matter what I cannot come to hurting an animal in games though. A guy gets blasted in the head....that is fine. The dog in fable is injured.....we have a problem.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By End_Boss
    PureRok said:
    I can't play a bad character. No matter how hard I try I end up being good by the end. [more]
    This, in almost any game. Actually, in Mass Effect I try and imagine how I would respond to a situation. I shot Fist (the bar owner in Mass Effect) in the goddamn face.

"Too many people died here, Fist. You don't get to walk away."
    BLAMMO.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.