Can Netherrealm put out a decent online capable package?

#1 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

So I was playing the arcade kollection online on the ps3, and oh it is bad. What is worse is MK9 has almost a famous incident of how horribly they handled online, so to release yet another gimped online section just feels insulting. I know it's not that hard to make a solid online functionaly, hell, deadly alliance had almost flawless ping online, and connecting was not a hassle at all, so why are they struggling now? i know Netherealm did not directly put together the kollection, but you'd think they learned from the mistakes that happened on MK9 and are still happening for PS3. So, have you guys had a bad time with the online on this game, or is just me? 

People are mentioning Netherealm didn't bork the online, rather Other ocean did. I know thats why I included: "  i know Netherealm did not directly put together the kollection, but you'd think they learned from the mistakes that happened on MK9 and are still happening for PS3." in the original post. Pretty much what I am saying, Netherealm had no control, but they are dumb to not oversee the final product and make sure the one thing that dinged MK9 isn't in another title. 

#2 Posted by Stonyman65 (2707 posts) -

From what I understand it is not Netherealm but a third party that they outsource who is doing this. I can't confirm, but thats what I heard on the internet so it must be true.

#3 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Ah, don't be silly.

#4 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

Other Ocean did the major stuff.

#5 Posted by amomjc (977 posts) -

I would hardly say it's far from hard to create a smooth online performance, or it would already be in effect, no? But then again, from your post I am guessing you have experience structuring online capabilities so I will take your word for it that it isn't hard.

#6 Posted by Hailinel (24794 posts) -

It's unfortunate that it turned out this way, particularly after the aborted HD remake package, but the online in the collection is not Netherrealm's fault.

#7 Posted by IBurningStar (2173 posts) -

The outsourced it to someone and whoever it was, well, they dropped the ball. Big time.

#8 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1766 posts) -

As it's been said, NRS isn't to blame for this. And for what it's worth, MK9 (at least on the PS3) is pretty much fine now. 

#9 Posted by TechHits (1378 posts) -

The thing is, this was a really slapped together port. It looks like they had a "just finish it and get it out the door" mentality.  

#10 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -
@TechHits said:
The thing is, this was a really slapped together port. It looks like they had a "just finish it and get it out the door" mentality.  
I get that vibe too. It's not really bad, but it could use a lot more polish and frame rate workthroughs, and of course, the way online is handled.
#11 Posted by KaneRobot (1611 posts) -

I get that Netherrealm didn't "do the online themselves," but they still signed off on it and put their name on the game, so it's not like they should get a free pass. I had hoped after the debacle of MK9's online problems they would have figured out how to do a decent online mode for games that are 15+ years old. 

I don't get how the old, no longer available Ultimate MK3 on XBLA had better online play than this did. It came out, what, 4 years ago?

#12 Posted by hwy_61 (922 posts) -

I really hope they release a patch. Until then, no $10 for you!

#13 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -
@elsuperdonut said:
I really hope they release a patch. Until then, no $10 for you!
I doubt it, the way they handled MK9 was a mess, and there's no real good way of 'patching' out internal online errors. We shall see, but for a 10 dollar title, i don't think they care that much. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.