Thursday Night Throwdown 09/02: Mortal Kombat Double Feature!

• 68 results
Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -
Mortal Kombat is pretty serious business here at Giant Bomb, and our two resident Shaolin Monks--Brad Shoemaker and Jeff Gerstmann--have conflicting perspectives on which Mortal Kombat, exactly, is the best Mortal Kombat. Any attempt at a compromise would just leave the office littered with rib cages and femurs, so for this week's Thursday Night Throwdown, you'll be able to pick your poison, outlander! Brad will be manning the sticks on Mortal Kombat II for PlayStation Network, while Jeff will be handing out fatalities left and right in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 on Xbox Live Arcade.  

If you want in on the action, there's still room on the GBTNT friend list on both platforms, though keep in mind that if you don't already own UMK3 on XBLA, you're out of luck, as it's no longer available for sale on the Marketplace. If you don't own it already, MKII is still available for purchase on PSN, and for a mere $4.99 at that! 

You can watch the pixelated bloodbath in the video player below, or hop over to the Giant Bomb chat page and kick it with like-minded fight fans. Yes, it will be two glorious hours of palette-swap ninjas, spiked pits, fatalities, babalities, friendships, and more, all starting today at 4PM Pacific Daylight Time! Join us, won't you?  

UPDATE: A fatali-tastic was had by all! Thanks to everyone who played and caught the live stream, but if you missed it, we've got the whole show archived below in two easily-digested parts.

#1 Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -
Mortal Kombat is pretty serious business here at Giant Bomb, and our two resident Shaolin Monks--Brad Shoemaker and Jeff Gerstmann--have conflicting perspectives on which Mortal Kombat, exactly, is the best Mortal Kombat. Any attempt at a compromise would just leave the office littered with rib cages and femurs, so for this week's Thursday Night Throwdown, you'll be able to pick your poison, outlander! Brad will be manning the sticks on Mortal Kombat II for PlayStation Network, while Jeff will be handing out fatalities left and right in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 on Xbox Live Arcade.  

If you want in on the action, there's still room on the GBTNT friend list on both platforms, though keep in mind that if you don't already own UMK3 on XBLA, you're out of luck, as it's no longer available for sale on the Marketplace. If you don't own it already, MKII is still available for purchase on PSN, and for a mere $4.99 at that! 

You can watch the pixelated bloodbath in the video player below, or hop over to the Giant Bomb chat page and kick it with like-minded fight fans. Yes, it will be two glorious hours of palette-swap ninjas, spiked pits, fatalities, babalities, friendships, and more, all starting today at 4PM Pacific Daylight Time! Join us, won't you?  

UPDATE: A fatali-tastic was had by all! Thanks to everyone who played and caught the live stream, but if you missed it, we've got the whole show archived below in two easily-digested parts.

#2 Posted by pectoral (124 posts) -

FATALITY

#3 Edited by Canberra (1065 posts) -

Hell yes.

#4 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6309 posts) -

OK, I'll watch this and throw in Mortal Kombat on DVD.

#5 Edited by VicRattlehead (1399 posts) -

i hope theres people to play this with... id send a friend request but northern ireland to america will be laggy

#6 Posted by DeathbyYeti (749 posts) -

I hope i can stay awake until then

#7 Posted by Fontan (318 posts) -

This will be awesome. Too bad I have classes at the time.

#8 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1641 posts) -

I have never actually played a Mortal Kombat game before and I've probably seen less than 1 minute of gameplay of it in my entire life. This should be an enlightening experience.

#9 Posted by Trilogy (2674 posts) -
@Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
"

OK, I'll watch this and throw in Mortal Kombat on DVD.

"
It's rumored that watching both at the same time will end the universe. Tread carefully my friend.
#10 Posted by Bolthor (86 posts) -

01:00 AM is too late for me, but I'll watch the archives tomorrow.

#11 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6309 posts) -
@Trilogy:
Good point.  If you guys never hear from me again, you'll know what caused it and a series of volcanic eruptions, plagues, and nuclear winters.  God help us all, gentlemen.
#12 Posted by RedHatDrew (335 posts) -

Maaaaaan... WB Games, hurry up and re-release UMK3 on XBLM!

#13 Posted by Raymayne (1226 posts) -

aww I only have MK2, I wanted to play against Jeff

#14 Posted by MisterMouse (3560 posts) -

HOSPITALITY

#15 Posted by JayCee (602 posts) -

FRUGALITY!

#16 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Stoked! Always up to watch some fighting words.. games.

#17 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -

YAY

#18 Posted by Shibbles (262 posts) -

Oh man, I wish I had my Xbox right now. I still have UMK3, and I would love to get smoked by Jeff.

#19 Posted by Yakow_93 (70 posts) -

YES!

#20 Posted by Matterless (330 posts) -

Good news: I have Ultimate MK 3. 

Bad news: It was an impulse nostalgia-buy and I absolutely suck balls at it.

#21 Edited by skrutop (3615 posts) -

Crap, I don't have UMK3.  I wasn't bad at it back in the day.  One good thing about growing up around the home of MK (Chicago), there were plenty of machines around.

#22 Posted by Alphazero (1539 posts) -

Half-circle forward punch. 

Sub-Zero wins.

#23 Posted by SniperXan (223 posts) -

lol, yeah I baught it to play with a bunch of friends at the house but with the XBOX controller we all sucked real bad... still a craptonne of fun!

#24 Posted by blacklab (1569 posts) -

ORIGINALITY

#25 Posted by Junior_AIN (200 posts) -

Now this is something to look forward to.

#26 Posted by EnduranceFun (1114 posts) -

It isn't TNT until the banner goes up. I hope for Jeff uppercutting Brad's head off.

#27 Posted by RyShe (110 posts) -

A TNT for a game I am good at, and own, but alas I work, damn you Giant Bomb!

#28 Posted by yakov456 (1917 posts) -

This is THE TNT to watch, can't wait.

#29 Posted by GUnitVer1 (106 posts) -

Will be playing just MK2 today - Should be good times... 

Also, hopefully no ragequitting when its Finish Him/Her time on the stream.

#30 Posted by MrFrank (8 posts) -

Yes! I can finally participate in a TNT!

#31 Posted by SumDeus (1857 posts) -

I  hardly ever do shit, but now the one night I'll be out...this of all things ;_;

#32 Posted by heatDrive88 (2362 posts) -

I wish I had bought UMK3 before it got locked out.
#33 Posted by JJOR64 (19023 posts) -

I would play some UMK3, but I'm terrible at it.  If we were playing SSFIIT: HDR, then that would be a different story.

#34 Posted by fedorajay (405 posts) -

Can't wait! I used to play 1, 2 and 3 all the time in the local arcades.

#35 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -
4PM Pacific Daylight Time is 2AM for us Norwegian fools?
#36 Edited by zero2000 (70 posts) -

I am on the list for UMK3, so I really hope I get to play. If I do play, hopefully I can pull off Stryker's friendship. That will surely sway Brad over to UMK3.

#37 Posted by StarFox (57 posts) -

MORALITY

#38 Posted by ItsAJackal (149 posts) -

I can't wait to watch the replay of this!

#39 Posted by AlmightyTooth (60 posts) -

GET HYPE!!! 

#40 Edited by Brackynews (4094 posts) -
Okay, every time I click play or refresh on a J.TV embed, I get a popup for Party Poker.  And just now there was a big red button float above the embed that took me to an IQ quiz.  Duder this is not what I expected to see by disabling adblock on GB.com.
edit: Yup, it's a rotating ad banner through the embed. Bummer.
#41 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -

Time ofr me to get asshurt. Me vs Brad...I'm so excited!

#42 Posted by syrupychinadian (12 posts) -

The Scorpi-Jeff vs Sub-Brad on the front page banner is super cool and funny. Would love to see more of those for TNTs    

#43 Posted by ThisOneHanar (9 posts) -

I really regret not buying UMK3 before it was taken off of LIVE

#44 Posted by B0nd07 (1699 posts) -
@syrupychinadian: Thanks!
#45 Posted by RenMcKormack (1074 posts) -

Hey Brad, this is the part where you fall down.  

#46 Posted by WhiteBrightKnight (166 posts) -

So excited!
#47 Posted by Somadude (549 posts) -

I actually own UMK 3, but I don't have a gold membership. =(
#48 Posted by Stealthmaster86 (662 posts) -

how to I get on. Do I join a party or do I wait.

#49 Edited by crunchmonkey (258 posts) -

I won my fight. Probably because of the lag but a win is a win. It starts at the 20:00 point in the archived video on justin.tv

#50 Posted by moelarrycurly (668 posts) -

FINISH HIM!! 

Hell yeah MK.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.