Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 16, 2008

The supernatural kombatants of Mortal Kombat collide with the superheroes of the DC Universe in this crossover fighting game by Midway.

Worth going back to after most recent MK?

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#1  Edited By MightyDuck

I was a huge fan of the most recent Mortal Kombat that came out and have been thinking about picking up the MK VS DC Universe game for a while now. Is it worth going back to play or did MK9 do much more to surpass it that it's not even worth going back to? I was curious if it had a similar story mode, etc. that took you character by character.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By ArtisanBreads

It does have a similar story mode, though it was pulled off a bit better in MK 9.

Personally, I think the thing preventing me from totally recommending it is that it is a 3D fighter with 3D movement, which I don't like as much as the 2D plane of MK 9.

It's a good game though.

elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

#3  Edited By elyk247

It plays more or less the same. I went back and enjoyed, but there isn't much to do and there are no fatalities. But if you can snag it for $10, go for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

As someone who dumped close to a hundred hours into 2011's Mortal Kombat, I can't in good conscience recommend MK vs DC.

The fighting simply isn't as tight. Mortal Kombat never totally got a firm hold on the three-dimensional arena combat stuff, and it's a serious handicap for MK vs DC. Combos are less natural to pull off, movement is clunkier, and AI balancing is a recurring issue throughout the game.

There is a Story Mode, but it isn't nearly as fun as MK 9's. Mortal Kombat's story has never been especially good, but its fiction is rich in a schlocky sort of a way. MK vs DC doesn't lean into this, nor does it lean into the DC fiction all that well either. Rather, the whole thing is a sort of empty exhibition that pairs two groups of fighters who don't fit smoothly with each other anyway.

I'd tell you to pass on it. I had no fun with the game in the slightest, and felt Mortal Kombat 9 was not only an improvement, but a synthesized treatise on why 3-D Mortal Kombat games like MK vs DC shouldn't have existed in the first place.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By musubi

I didn't like it personally. If you are looking to beat the shit out of some DC Superheros you should just wait for Injustice next year.

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By thegoldencat7

Nah, just wait for Injustice: Gods Among Us.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Not really though there is a higher skill "cap" in MK vs DC for sure, if that's your thing. Ultimately in multiplayer you're going to wind up fighting thousands of Scorpions in either game. MK9 utterly destroys it from a single player perspective.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Sooty

It's like MK9 but worse, and that's saying something because 9 already looks clunky with fighters that seem like they need the toilet.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Hizang

I tried to, I played a bunch of MK9 so went and picked up it for cheap. Turns out, it;s nowhere near as fun or polished as MK9.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#10  Edited By MightyDuck

Thanks for the responses guys. I appreciate it.

Perhaps I'll hold off until Injustice next year.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.