Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat X

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Apr 14, 2015

The tenth installment of the bloody and storied fighting game franchise picks up decades after the events of the 2011 franchise re-boot, as new and returning kombatants fight throughout the realms over the power of an imprisoned evil.

Fightstick for PS4 suggestions

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Hey everyone.

I am looking to purchase my first fight stick ever and I have no idea what I should look for. I would like to spend no more than $200, so hopefully that helps narrow it down somewhat.

So if anyone has suggestions as to which ones to consider, I would greatly appreciate it.

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'd probably go with the HORI RAP4. Right now it's listed on Amazon for more than it's worth, though, so look around to find a better price. It should be no more than $150. I really, really like the HORI Hayabusa lever, perhaps a bit more than my previous Sanwa one.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although you'll probably want something guaranteed to work with all PS4 games, it is worth noting that MKX on PS4 does make use of a driver made by the Skullgirls team that actually allows PS3 sticks to be used, so that gives you a bit more choice. Although I think the way that works is a bit weird, where you need one DS4 connected for every PS3 stick you want to use...

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I prefer the MadCatz TE and am going to pick up a TE2 some time later this year. It works on both PS3 and PS4 which is a nice bonus and is super easy to mod (artwork and buttons etc) if you're into that. http://smile.amazon.com/Catz-Arcade-FightStick-Tournament-PlayStation-4/dp/B00UHE4DHU

They'll be coming out with new models periodically and often do coupon codes for big tournament weekends if you're not in a rush. Otherwise it falls just within budget (unless you have to pay shipping/sales tax).

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

People going bat top or ball on this one?

GiroMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By GiroMindTricks

I bought a Hori Real Arcade Pro 4 Kai recently and would highly recommend it. I wasn't a fan of the "Kuro" buttons, so I replaced them with Sanwa OBSF 30's and a 24 for the start button. The Kuro buttons just felt strange and they had this horrible squeak if you hit them off centre, this would probably go away once you break them in. The stick I thought felt perfect. Overall I spent £145 (£120 for the stick, £25 for the buttons) which is still over £50 cheaper than a Madcatz PS4 stick even if I was lucky enough to find one in stock.

Pic ain't the best, but I tried to keep the monochrome theme going.

Now I use this as my main stick on PS3, over my Qanba Q4 RAF. The stick also works on the PC in PS3 or PS4 mode, the only real difference is the touch pad counts as an extra button in PS4 mode.

thevamp25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone know if a Qanba Q1 for ps3 will work on ps4 for MKX?

DrBroel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I use a CronusMax to get a last generation fight stick to work on the PS4.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I'm narrowing it down to the Mad Catz TE2 & the HORI RAP4. Kinda leaning towards the Mad Catz since I know the brand already, but I'll make sure to do more research into both and come to a decision.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zella

I bought a TE2 in December and it is pretty fantastic. Build quality seems great and personally I love the hefty weight of it. I don't plan on using it much for MKX just as I have always found MK to be a pad game but I use it for Xrd and USFIV on PC and it works great. On PC I just use DS4Windows as I normally would for a pad and set the TE2 to PS4 mode and it works fine. TE2's can also be really hard to buy right now as Mad Catz seems to only do pretty limited releases.

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@rand0mzer00 said:

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I'm narrowing it down to the Mad Catz TE2 & the HORI RAP4. Kinda leaning towards the Mad Catz since I know the brand already, but I'll make sure to do more research into both and come to a decision.

You're really not going to go wrong with either choice. HORI and MadCatz both make some solid sticks (HORI's top end sticks are unbeatable though). I do like HORI's proprietary lever a bit more than I did my Sanwa one, but they're very similar.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hassun

I've been looking for a stick that works with the PS4/PC/Xone for a while and I think the hard (sad) truth is that it's too early. Hori is probably the first one to make theirs widely available but there just isn't much out there yet.

I hope more will come out soon enough because I really want to get one. Changing the buttons on a Hori like @giromindtricks did is probably the best thing you can do if you really need one RIGHT NOW.

BTW @giromindtricks where did you buy yours? I'd love to find a few good retailers in Europe.

cozmicaztaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@damodar: II think that driver was actually made by John "Cowboy" Bellamy, one of those wizards at Naughty Dog. It's available for whoever to use, I think Skullgirls just did it first

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummytreesap: That's great to know. Thanks again for the HORI suggestion. My brother might buy one if he really gets into MK X (which I think he will) and if I get the TE2, I will definitely suggest he buy the HORI.

GiroMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: I pre-ordered mine on amazon a month before release and I was glad I did as it was out of stock almost immediately. However the price has dropped £35 from what I paid, so if you're willing to wait, you could get the stick and buttons for less than I paid for my basic stick.

FYI changing the buttons/stick is just as easy as it is on any madcatz stick.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@hassun: They don't sell Hori sticks but if you're after general Sanwa/Siemitsu parts try ArcadeWorld.

I got my Q4RAF (love that stick) there and my new buttons and handle arrived this morning.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By s-a-n-JR

I really like the HRAP4, but I haven't used it with MKX yet.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

@hassun: Just cosmetic stuff - Different coloured buttons and a bat top handle. It's a fine stick out of the box.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dave_tacitus: I just hope they will make PS4/Xone compatible sticks soon. Don't really want to buy a PS360 stick at this point.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I bought a Hori Real Arcade Pro 4 Kai recently and would highly recommend it. I wasn't a fan of the "Kuro" buttons, so I replaced them with Sanwa OBSF 30's and a 24 for the start button. The Kuro buttons just felt strange and they had this horrible squeak if you hit them off centre, this would probably go away once you break them in. The stick I thought felt perfect. Overall I spent £145 (£120 for the stick, £25 for the buttons) which is still over £50 cheaper than a Madcatz PS4 stick even if I was lucky enough to find one in stock.

Now I use this as my main stick on PS3, over my Qanba Q4 RAF. The stick also works on the PC in PS3 or PS4 mode, the only real difference is the touch pad counts as an extra button in PS4 mode.

Is the RAP4 Kai mod friendly? Got some buttons sitting here already from the last time I upgraded a stick (ordered, delivery took so long I forgot about it, ordered again).

My old Hori stick was a bit of a nightmare to mod compared to the TEs and the Q4s and the like.

GiroMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GiroMindTricks

@amafi: It's very mod friendly. All the fittings are standard and I had no issue fitting the Sanwa OBSF 30's and OBSF 24. The Hayabusa Stick uses a similar 'bracket' as the Sanwa JLF. I say similar because all the screw holes are the same but it's a little wider. So a JLF will fit no bother but a Hayabusa may not fit in a stick with a JLF.

I can't compare it to a Madcatz TE and I haven't needed to mod my Q4 but I would say it was just as easy as modding the Madcatz Standard Edition.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

They'll be coming out with new models periodically

YO LOOK AT THAT KEN STICK

For real though... THIS KEN STICK
    For real though... THIS KEN STICK
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

@amafi said:

Is the RAP4 Kai mod friendly? Got some buttons sitting here already from the last time I upgraded a stick (ordered, delivery took so long I forgot about it, ordered again).

My old Hori stick was a bit of a nightmare to mod compared to the TEs and the Q4s and the like.

If you are talking just about part replacement, it should be similar to the previous gen RAP V3/X so yes. As for the electrical end, the addition of the touch pad makes me curious if it adds a level of complexity to multiplatform modding. If it isn't too bad, it should be as easy as the prev. model. Common ground is found on most if not all Hori sticks so if you want to add another board like an Xbox One pad, you should be fine.

I am thinking of getting this so I can mod it for Xbox One as well.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a problem. It started with the X-Arcade and all its various adapters. Then I got the original Mad Catz TE Stick. Within the past 18 months or so I got a Hitbox and a Qanba Fusion and recently pre-ordered the Hori VLX Kuro. I would also love that Ken Masters stick as well. I have a problem.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hippie_genocide: I used to do that with cars. Fight sticks are cheaper.

You don't have a problem. ;)

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thephantomnaut: If anyone does this they should explain how because that sounds pretty much ideal for what I want. It seems it'll be either that or hoping that Qanba makes a PC/PS4/Xone soon.

madroxcide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been looking at sticks as well. I'm on the Xbone though. Has anyone tried to Razer Atrox?

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I've been looking at sticks as well. I'm on the Xbone though. Has anyone tried to Razer Atrox?

I have the Razer Atrox stick on Xbox One. Solidly build and has a good amount of modding flexibility. Good weight to it too. Also the USB cable is much better than a TE2. If you want it to work on PlayStation 4, it shouldn't be too bad if you know where to solder. $200 price can be much but the features more or less make up for it.

There is a Hori Xbox One stick too which is cheaper ($150) and provides the necessary bare bones.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I've always used Madcatz sticks and there is a new one coming out at the end of May for $200, but for MKX, I'm not sure it's worth buying a stick. Atleast from my perspective. However, since USF is coming out for PS4 soon, I guess it would be a good time to pick one up anyway. If you need one now, I would agree that either of the new Hori sticks would work. As for XBOX ONE, I would say that the only one I've seen and played with is the Madcatz Killer Instinct which is nice, but it's also $300. Don't know about any others.

whur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Play-Asia has some sticks in stock for around $130 though I didn't look at shipping. This includes the RAP4 and the hayabusa v5. Also I think I saw the RAP4 silent back in stock as well for another $20, though I have the RAP4 and don't think its all that loud really.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cozmicaztaway: Don't quote me on this, but IIRC the Skullgirls guys and Bellamy both worked on the same driver.

Also obviously everyone's tastes are different, but most of my hardcore fighting game friends who play on stick 99% of the time swap to a pad for MK. MK just feels weird on a stick for a lot of people.

Actually before you go out and spend $150-200 on a new stick, find someone with one and try it out! You're going to be significantly worse at the game for months at least, most likely. Many people put a lot of money down for their first stick, try it, hate it, then never use the damn thing again. I got my first one, tried it for a few months, then went back to pad for a year or two. I then tried again and used simpler characters and somehow slowly started to get the hang of it over a year.

serpentenema

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have 2 recently purchased madcatz TE2 sticks for the 360, but I have a ps4. Is there any special dongle that I need to use those or does it just work because it's a Usb.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I am the point where I still use my PS3 Virtua Stick High Grade. I almost refuse to buy another stick...which is probably why MKX is the first PS4 fighting game I bothered buying. I really hope all major fighting games going forward support PS3 sticks on Ps4...

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ended up ordering a HRAP4 Kai but I might change the buttons on it like @giromindtricks did if I don't like the kuros.

serpentenema

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@markbaka: could I buy the original and it work fine for the ps4 or do I have to get the newer one for 10 extra bucks

whoady4shoady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21: So, the ps3 virtua stick high grade does work on the ps4 for Mortal kombat X? If so, this is amazing news. Mine has been collecting dust forever. It's such and amazing stick too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.