Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Franchise »

The Mortal Kombat series, and its many games, continues to deliver gruesome fighting action to its fans.

Fighting Games with Stories?

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Damian

Short: 

Is there a market for story driven fighting games? 
    Are there fighters with stories that work?

Long:

I'm obviously a Mortal Kombat fan. I honestly and truly fell in love with an arcade machine when I saw The Golden Zombie Ninja of Vengeance. So I dropped maybe hundreds into it over time, and when I beat it, there was a viable story layered underneath the stunning and ridiculous kung-fu fantasy above. 
    It's kept me hooked ever since. Many more hundreds spent.

I'm not gonna say MK has a good story. But it's got a solid base for one somewhere, and the mythology is surprisingly rich albeit sloppily executed. It's foundations paint a world people can lose themselves in while playing a fun and visceral fighting game, and the only viable one left made in the West (worth buying Midway for, right?).
    It's why Mortal Kombat still exists. Because, let's face it MK fans; after it's story and otherwise expanded universe MK is bested in about every other category by another fighter. It's considered a top-tier fighter to some, not for it's fighting but it's recognition and retarded fan-base (of which I'm happy to be a part). 

The story is what makes MK so popular. So why the hell don't we see more of that in this genre? So many devs in the west grew up on fighters, including MK. Where's the love for making one? 

I'm not very good at fighting games. But I enjoy the hell out of them. I simply can't get into a returning cast of characters with no cohesion or relevance to a world that grounds them. And since Midway has beaten my inner child to a pulp over the last decade, and my foster parents, WB, have even bigger fists ... well, I want more story-driven fighting games!
    TabooTongue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By TabooTongue

MK has an excellent story. Very lengthy, rarely boring, and completely abandonned with Armageddon.

Not to say it doesn't have it's sore points. The Movies, UMk3\Trilogy, Boon being clueless, it being trashed in MKA and MKvsDC for profit.

Tao Feng didn't sell very well... I can't think of any other fighters, released recently and developed in the West, that have a strong storyline besides Tao Feng and MK.
    Maybe with this little resurgence of Fighting Games we will see one or two with solid stories, but it will have to come from a smaller developer because the big publishers probably won't take that risk.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.