Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Franchise »

The Mortal Kombat series, and its many games, continues to deliver gruesome fighting action to its fans.

Video Game Movies - TANG, Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist on Kickstarter & Mortal Kombat Legacy Season 2 Trailer

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

Edited By FLStyle

Right now, the biggest hope for live-action movies based on video games not being bargain bin quality is the Internet, two of the most promising are Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist and Mortal Kombat: Legacy.

I first became aware of these two martial artist stunt men's attempt to make a Street Fighter live action series that's actually worth watching when they put up the Street Fighter: Legacy video in 2010 on YouTube, much like Mortal Kombat Rebirth which came out the same year.

As anyone who kept up with MK Rebirth knows it led to a full show, Mortal Kombat Legacy, on the Machinima YouTube channel, which will air its 2nd season later this year, starring Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as (a different version of) Shang Tsung, as he did in the original Mortal Kombat movie.

The Mortal Kombat Rebirth and Legacy creator Kevin Tancharoen has been given the green light by Warner Bros. to reboot the Mortal Kombat Hollywood movies.

Kickstarter Link

The kickstarter for Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist has 25 days left to reach $625,000, currently the total stands at $1580, not great, but campaigns have been known to have a late surge and cross the deadline with days left.

Here's the pitch:

Just as Mortal Kombat Legacy bettered anything out of Hollywood, I know Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist will do the same (especially compared to that really bad Chun-Li film of course).

Don't take my word for it, check out these old TANG episodes by Ryan and Vinny and/or Drew.

NOTE: I was going to embed the TANG: DOA Dead Or Alive episode too, since that also stars Robin Shou, who's career apparently revolves around poor fighting game adaptations (and more recently Death Race 1, 2 and 3).

NBC Universal had other ideas and at some point had the DOA TANG episode taken down from YouTube for copyright, though I suspect the real reason is that they have a little more pride if their awful fighting game movie, which I find just hilarious.

Thanks for reading.

donfonzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By donfonzie

I cant wait for both the movies. If the Street Fighter kickstarter fails, then i will lose all hope in humanity.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Why would anyone want to make a Street Fighter movie? Those games barely have any story in them and stuff that is there is terrible, at least Mortal Kombat is fun in a tongue-in-cheek, dumb sort of way.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MeierTheRed

I cant wait for both the movies. If the Street Fighter kickstarter fails, then i will lose all hope in humanity.

Funny how that works, cause i´m the other way around. If it does succeed my hope for humanity is gone.

donfonzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By donfonzie

@ramone said:

Why would anyone want to make a Street Fighter movie? Those games barely have any story in them and stuff that is there is terrible, at least Mortal Kombat is fun in a tongue-in-cheek, dumb sort of way.

Its not about the story; childhood memories have a lot to do with it.

@donfonzie said:

Funny how that works, cause i´m the other way around. If it does succeed my hope for humanity is gone.

Either way humanity is bound to have someone lose hope in it. Its always the one that loses at the end.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By DarthOrange

Those both look mad dumb. The Mortal Kombat one looks like dumb goofy fun though, the Street Fighter one just looks regular ass dumb.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is clearly a good idea. look at how well those older SF and MK live action movies turned out, now reduce the money used to produce them by 300 percent and you've got a recipe for a winner.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@ramone said:

The history of the Ansatsuken style used by Goutetsu, Gouken, Akuma, Ryu &, Ken back-story is pretty easy to make a martial arts show/movie out of. It wouldn't be any less far-fetched than a lot of martial arts movies that came before it.

Those both look mad dumb. The Mortal Kombat one looks like dumb goofy fun though, the Street Fighter one just looks regular ass dumb.

Kind of the point. They're both known names with crazy stories just elaborate enough to wrap a story around, which has always been the idea with video game movies. It's only up until now that the potential is there for them to be dumb but fun (just like the games) instead of dumb and bad.

@casper_ said:

this is clearly a good idea. look at how well those older SF and MK live action movies turned out, now reduce the money used to produce them by 300 percent and you've got a recipe for a winner.

Missing the point there. Web series aren't supposed to compete financially with the old live action movies, they're supposed to lead to new live action movies that aren't poorly done by people who don't know how to cater to either cinema goers or fans of SF/MK. Case in point, MK Legacy's creator getting the opportunity from Warner Bros. to make his own Mortal Kombat live action movie.

Potentially his Mortal Kombat live-action movie will be relatively good, dumb, but good.

ThomasG666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ThomasG666

Wow! That Street Fighter looks amazing!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.