Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

8 Months later... How do you feel about MK9?

• 74 results
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Kyreo

So it's been about eight months now and I've been playing Mortal Kombat 9 pretty regularly since it came out and I'm still very content with it and love playing it. I was curious if the Giant Bomb community at large shared my feelings.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I haven't played it regularly, but it was a great reboot. Enjoyed the amount of single player content, challenge mode kept me occupied for a long time and the story mode was amazing.

It's easily the standard all other fighting games should be aiming against.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By phrosnite

I still want a PC version so I can play it. I've watched like 30 hours of gameplay though :)

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Cloudenvy

I really like MK9!

Ashuramaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Ashuramaru

Still great, It's the only fighting game outside of soul calibur that my friends like, so whenever we get together (about once every other week) we end up playing MK all evening.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

After playing the story mode, part of of the challenge tower, and the arcade mode for maybe half of the characters, I set the game aside and never felt the desire to go back to it. I also feel that the story mode is well done, and it's presentation is top not and reason enough to pay the price of admission, but I think some people take it too far when they cite it as the game that elevated fighting game stories out of the morass when other titles had previously worked to do the same without needing to serve as a reboot.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Rebel_Scum

Haven't picked it up for ages. But then if I could access the dlc it might reinvigorate my interest. Stupid Australian censorship.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I haven't really played it since a few weeks after release (I'm not a big fighting game guy, but I do love MK) and I still strongly feel that it is my favorite fighting game ever. The single-player content was just awesome since I don't play fighting game multiplayer online (I suck since I barely play fighting games). It was well worth the 60 bucks I paid for it just for the bunch of awesome single player stuff. More fighting games should be like that. The one thing it was missing for me was a simple player vs. AI mode where you just select your character and select a character you want to fight. If it had that I would probably play it more since I only play local multiplayer when a friend is over at this point.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Spoonman671

I still think it was fucking awesome.  I just wish I could get back into the online, but I would just end up getting worked over constantly so I don't bother putting it into my PS3.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Sooty

Still think it's really boring compared to many other fighting games, especially watching it.

I like the fatalities but I think the animations (especially when juggling) make the game seem very b-grade. Not including fatality animations, those are top notch.

Basically a lot of characters in MK9 during gameplay look like they really need to take a shit.

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By spartanlolz92

i like it i just wish i was better at it :/ its not fun when half the community are gods at it

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#12  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I don't like it perhaps as much as I initially did, partially because of the way the fighting feels and partially because the online was some variety of broken throughout my experience with it. Still a very solid fighting game... but I like King of Fighters XIII a lot more.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Bwast

My friend took my copy with her when she went away to College so I can't play when I get the urge to now and then. No big deal though. For someone who doesn't play many fighting games, it was impressive that it held me for a good month.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By agentboolen

I really enjoy it a lot. I also really like that they haven't made slight upgrades to it like Capcom has been doing. IMO this is the best fighting game out this year.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sooty

@agentboolen said:

I really enjoy it a lot. I also really like that they haven't made slight upgrades to it like Capcom has been doing. IMO this is the best fighting game out this year.

Every update to SFIV has been more than a slight update. If you played it more than just casually it's really easy to see.

I agree that the updates to SFIV should have been available as DLC to begin with, but not that they are low on content. I consider re-balances more than slight upgrades, and Super added quite a lot in addition to the balance changes.

Avatar image for deactivated-57a1372cc3e61
    deactivated-57a1372cc3e61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still play it at parties, friggin love test your luck.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I think it is the best MK game and the only one I even like. The single player was well done but I don't like the gameplay enough to play it a lot.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By nintendoeats

It's fuckin' baller-awesome.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By huntad

I don't play multiplayer games, so I picked this up exclusively for singleplayer and it was great. Now, though, I don't see many reasons to go back for it. I spent time doing the challenge tower, the story mode, and did some extensive training in the training room. I feel I've sucked the content dry and now I don't really know what to do with it.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By FLStyle

Since the second coming of fighting games began, MK9 for me is the first game since Street Fighter IV that looks like it's really grabbed hold of mainstream gamers and gaming culture-savvy people alike.

It's the best selling fighting game of 2011, has the best story mode in a fighting game ever (as far as the cheese that is fighting game stories go) and is a two-time main tournament game at EVO (last year and this year in July). Hats off to NetherRealm Studios, they did good.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Still a fun game to play with friends. At least the ones who are about as good as I am. I have a few who don't like to play against me because I always win.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By musubi

One of my favorite games of last year. Had so much momentum playing it. Bought 4 copies of it including the Tourney edition the special edition and two copies which I gave to friends.... that being said... the DLC killed it for me. The problems that the game had after the DLC launched was awful. Bought all the DLC for Ps3 and could almost never use it.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Its still awesome

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Stete

Admittetly its been a while since ive booted it up, but for me its the best fighting game ive played in the last 6-7 years, and definitely the best fighting game this generation. To sum it up, Ive spent more time playing MK9 than Street Fighter IV, Soul Calibur IV, Marvel vs Capcom 3, BlazBlue CS and Tekken 6 combined.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Milkman

I haven't consistently played it since launch but I never planned on doing that. I got everything I wanted out of MK 9.

ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ricetopher

Until The King of Fighters XIII came out I thought MK9 was the best fighting game to be released last year. I don't just mean this in terms of what it offered for the casual players but how it panned out in the competitive community.

I've kind of fallen off on keeping up with fighting games in terms of playing them (and if I could have the time to be playing any current fighting game it would easily be put towards KoF13), but its always upsetting to me that even MK can't break the divide between Capcom games and everything else in the competitive community. As we get a flood of fighting games, many from developers besides Capcom (as well as Capcom's obvious movement towards pandering for the casual not slowing down), I would hope that many people start showing the willingness to reach out and give every fighting game an honest shot.

Back on topic, while its gotten maybe a few more patches than it needed, MK9 is great, but I still love UMK3 so much more.

Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#27  Edited By Floppypants

Love the game, but I ultimately stopped playing because it didn't offer the online experience I wanted. If MK9 had StarCraft 2's matchmaking system, I'd undoubtedly still be playing. Joining the "11111111Newbs Only" lobby and getting worked by some pro is a complete failure on NetherRealm's part.

Also, once a game goes on the shelf, it goes out of sight and out of mind. MK9 would have been great on the PC.

I plan on buying the Vita version of the game.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By JJOR64

The game has issues, but it's still fun. Haven't played it in a while though.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kingzetta

best fighting game ever

Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#30  Edited By Dookysharpgun

I enjoyed it, but haven't played it in a long, long time. Too many other games dwarfed it, and the patching issues, along with the still botched netcode that seems to favour direct line connections, instead of wireless, pissed me off to no end.

Its a great game, definitely a top-tier fighting game, but MK10 should address the many, many issues that MK9 had, while aiming for some more longevity in the gameplay itself. Rooms are fun, but I'd rather four 2 Vs 2 matches in a tournament mode than six people sitting around, watching two guys duke it out, while they scratch their asses and wait for their turn.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I enjoy watching MK, but not playing it, but I guess that goes for all fighting games for me though.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ShaggE

Still love it and play it semi-regularly. And I still can't believe I finished every challenge in the tower... I mean, I am *not* good at fighting games, but somehow I pulled it off. That makes me happy.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By soldierg654342

It's been about the only game I've played since it came out. No, I'm not exaggerating.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By niamahai

i hope this paves the way for Shao Lin Monks 2.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By Commisar123

I still think it is the best fighting game of 2011, and is really impressive

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By musubi

@ShaggE: I don't know what was worse... the 3 shao khans or the final gauntlet at the end.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I rented it for about two weeks back in August and had so much fun with it that I've had this itching to buy it ever since. Good to see that everyone's been having so much fun with it, as it reinforces my decision.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ShaggE

@Demoskinos said:

@ShaggE: I don't know what was worse... the 3 shao khans or the final gauntlet at the end.

Honestly, I think the superpowered Noob Saibot was the worst. At least I could cheese the 3 Shao Khans and the gauntlet (hint for the gauntlet, in case anybody hasn't finished it: gun spam), but the super-Noob fight was sheer anger in game form.

Buttenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 40

#39  Edited By Buttenator

This game was a guilty pleasure for the few months that I played it, though I unfortunately derived most of my enjoyment from beating on people that weren't as good as me (which was most people I played).

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#40  Edited By churrific

It was alot of fun going through the story and seeing all the animations/fatalities for the first time. After that though, it just didn't hold enough depth for me in the actual fighting system, so I went back to other fighting games that I find more interesting. It was really cool for those couple of weeks though. First time I saw that noob saibot rip-in-half fatality was the sickest 2-second cut scene moment I saw all last yr.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By Emilio

I don't own it, but I did play it for a bit. It was surprisingly solid in the fighting, but I didn't try the single player.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42  Edited By Cincaid

I played (and loved) it when it was released, but honestly I haven't touched it for months. A shame that the online was so busted, but I'll definitely pick it up again when that fighting-game-itch comes back after my RPG-itch is satisfied.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I kinda lost interest after the story since fighters are not really my genre (nor my friend's) but I had an amazing time with it. 
    Last time I enjoyed a fighter THIS much was back on the Gamecube, with Soul Calibur 2.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#44  Edited By Hizang

Just so you all know a GOTY edition is coming very soon.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By ProfessorEss

I don't play it regularly because we only really play it when the boys are together at someone's place but when we do, it's still awesome.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MideonNViscera

It was ok. It really fucked up any chance it had with me when the online didn't work worth a shit on release. Then Freddy came out and they fucked up their second chance with me with the way they did the DLC.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#47  Edited By zidd

I think its the best MK has ever been.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By artgarcrunkle

Fun to play with friends. Most of my friends don't play games so I regret buying it because it's unplayable online.

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MethodMan008

@Kyreo: Super fun as a single player game and casual multiplayer. But the competitive MK scene is garbage.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By CptBedlam

Loved it and I kept it in case I want to play local mp or sp. Too bad they effed up the online and the dlc.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.