Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

counter fighters to certain characters

webb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By webb

i have been playing mk 9 for the last month i would say, and this is the first mk game i have ever played.. when i choose characters online in a fight, i always hide cursor, wait for them to select a character and find a character that i feel can counter them... (I.E  subzero to counter liu kang because he can set an ice clone to counter air kick attacks and slow his kombos down with his freezing abillities).. does anyone else believe in this and if so what character do you use to counter other characters 

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#2  Edited By D_W

Smoke counters Noob with his shake thing move.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By soldierg654342
    @IntramanDW: pretty much everyone counters Noob Saibot except those without a teleport, and even then Reptile can spit and Stryker can shoot faster than he can throw out those shadows. 
    Cmdc00kie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Cmdc00kie

It's not a bad idea but usually it tends to be a smarter idea to just pick a character that you are comfortable with. That being said, if you play well with multiple characters you might as well pick the best match up possible.

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Damian

I'm not great. Only a 50/50 record. But I find the matches I win have little to do with who I'm playing as (or their specials), and more to do with how well I'm using the basics properly (zoning, meter usage and knowing what the normals do for your character and how to exploit them). The matches I lose are usually because I fail to punish or became WAY too predictable with my specials. So don't spam any unsafe moves. 
    But I think Cmdc00kie is right in that winning is more likely when you're not a jack-of-all-trades. So master a smaller number of dudes. For me, Smoke is my best. If buddy's winning handily while I have Smoke out, odds are he'll whoop me no matter who I'm fighting with. 

But to your question (and someone help me out if they know better):
    - Sometimes I'll come across a Kung Lao, Liu Kang or Johnny Cage who chew my ninjas up with rush down. For those two I break out Sonya (her uppercut is one of (if not) the best, and her military stance moves catch most people off guard... the low one, forward+1 is her best low move). 
    - If I've got a pesky ninja, I'll usually break out Sub Zero (for his 2,2,2 and ice-clone) or Smoke (for his CRAZY teleport and projectile punishing).
    - If I'm fighting a Sub Zero, I'll just about always pick Scorpion. It's more habit, really, but his ground flames will easily punish a Sub Zero who needs his clone for room. Just don't trade with ice ball.
    - Quan Chi?... Honestly no idea. I've neglected this dude, and should probably practice more with him. I imagine Kung Lao or Raiden would be a good match up here (do to mobility and unpredictability). I could use some tips here, myself. All I know is be ready to block and punish his garbage teleport.
    - If you're fighting Sheeva JUMP. If you're fighting Kabal DON'T JUMP. And if you're fighting someone who thinks their Shang Tsung is good (they're usually not), get right in there face and smash it.
    - If you don't know Reptile well, take that guy into practice mode and figure out what he can and can't exploit. There are some really strong Reptile's out there, and if you don't know what he can do you're gonna have a hard time knowing how to punish him.

Moody_yeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Moody_yeti

I use to play like that,but after i while i have got quite good at playing Quan chi .Now i pick him most times and win about 70% of my matches,Im ok with that. :3

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Eh, I'd rather just pick a character I enjoy playing as. I'm not that competitive with the game, so if I get my ass kicked as Reptile just because this dude's Smoke is bounding all over the screen, then so be it.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Benny

I'd stay with a character you're good with and learn how to beat tough match-ups with that same character.

It's the only way to truly improve cause taking the easy way out will make you no better at the game.

By only playing sub-zero I've managed to work out winning strategies for almost every opponent (e.g. After knocking down an ermac, jump over him to dodge the wake-up and get a free opening) and I really feel it only comes down to skill when I lose and not tier lists :) .

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.