Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

Does the PS3 have same patching issues with online play as 360

bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By bretthancock

I did a search but couldn't find anything.  The 360 version of MK requires separate compatibility packs which not everyone has downloaded and so on and so forth.  It's becoming pretty frustrating to try and play online, but all my "gear" and fighting games are for 360.  Is the PS3 handling of patches and online play drastically better?

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Worse. Much worse. 360 patching uses a DIFF system (which MS patented), where only binary changes are downloaded as opposed to whole files - making it a lot faster to grab said patches and to inject them into games - whole groups of patches are completed in one process. The PS3's patching system actually grabs whole files when it needs to update so it's slower both to download them and more importantly when inserting them into the games. Patches in the PS3 are done whatever order necessary so the process will be something like Boot up game, game looks on PSN for patches, download patch a, insert patch a, search for patches, download patch b, insert patch b and so on until the patching process is finished.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Bestostero

the lag in ps3 isn't as bad as before, but people still desync and get "this game is no longer available" quite often, or at least i do.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By EvilDingo
    @xhavoc86
    I'm on PSN and I get the "this game is no longer available" sometimes. I never desync anymore though. 

Also I don't know what  @SeriouslyNow is on about. It all sounds very technical and "behind the scenes"-ish, but I play daily and it plays perfectly fine. 

I get into games were I'm unable to pick DLC characters. I figure this is because the opponent haven't picked up the compatibility updates, but these games are after all still perfectly playable. 
    I just find this mildly annoying because I mostly play Skarlet. 

I guess it's fine to have the option though - so you're not forced into dealing with DLC characters that's not part of the original experience. 
    That way if people *actually* consider a DLC-character broken (which some always do), you can avoid those matches pretty easily by removing that compatibility-pack.
    bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By bretthancock

Glad to hear it's not drastically better, I was considering transitioning over to PS3 for all my fighting games since I've been digging MK more then I thought I would. I'll just stick with 360 in this case.

Thanks guys.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.