Giant Bomb Mortal Kombat Fight Night

• 117 results
#1 Edited by Slaker117 (4842 posts) -

Giant Bomb Kommunity Fight Night

Giant Bomb/Mortal Kombat mash-up logo by user "normal"
So this is an attempt to set a standard time and place for Giant Bomb duders to meet up online and play some MK. Not much more needs to be said, I think you get the idea. Don't know why this didn't happen earlier. 

When

Thursdays, around 6PM, PDT

till whenever everyone leaves is the current plan.

This week will likely start earlier than normal since Giant Bomb will be at E3, meaning we don't have to compete with TNT. No change to the "official" start time, but if you're on early, check to seem if a room is up. Feel free to make one if it isn't there.

This is still extremely flexible because we haven't really established a regular routine yet. If you have suggestions or concerns please share them and we might change.

How To Join

Just get online and hop into the room!

It should be called "GIANTBOMB". Find it in the lobby list.

You can also add people to your friends list on your console of choice by using the current kommunity threads. ( 360/ PS3)

And bring a mic! You're among friends, don't be shy.

What We Do

We just to get into a King of the Hill match and start some fun casual competition. There aren't really any guidelines though, so do whatever you want. Just try not the be a dick. And always encourage throws.

Being that most of us are just average at the game, we ask that if you are a more skilled player that you restrain yourself by either varying your play or keeping to other players around your level. We don't mean to punish success, but the goal here is fun, and that's hard to achieve when one person is clearly dominating the rest.

Other Stuff

That's pretty much it. I'll be updating this first post if things change, so be sure to check back.

If you have any suggestions or requests, I'm open to them. And if people have scheduling concerns, please share them. The aim here is to make this as open as possible. There seems to be a love for this game in the staff and general community, but so far we've seen little movement online outside of TNTs. I hope this helps change that.

Also, thanks to PsEG, because I totally stole your formatting from the Forza Race Night thread, and normal for the awesome logo.
#2 Posted by protomessiah (49 posts) -

Sounds brilliant, I look forward to it!

#3 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Clever, however not everyone can view every active room available.

If you can find it go though, great idea.

#4 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Great, I might join in.

#5 Posted by hedfone (1751 posts) -

this thread gives me a Kboner

#6 Posted by Slaker117 (4842 posts) -
@hedfone: A K-boner sounds incredibly uncomfortable. You might want to get that looked at.
#7 Posted by natetodamax (19206 posts) -

I'd be into this (Xbox 360)

#8 Posted by OverLord00 (173 posts) -

I'm down for this! (PS3)

#9 Posted by alexfase (50 posts) -

Looking forward to it. (Xbox 360)

#10 Posted by Floppypants (798 posts) -

Count me in.  Have fun beating me up :)

#11 Posted by Slumberpunch (113 posts) -

I'm in!  See you duders on Thursday.

#12 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I should go get my disc fixed so I can do this.

#13 Edited by TJ311 (415 posts) -

nice to see this plan put to action. hope to see everyone online. i might be on both platforms.

EDIT: i take that back, PS3 is not working so 360 it is.
#14 Posted by AntoineDiamonds (79 posts) -

i'll be there after they fix online!

#15 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -

I am ready! (PS3)

#16 Posted by Gumby (229 posts) -

I'll be there on Wednesday!  (360)
And I'll get so fucking krushed! D:

#17 Posted by TheIronYuppie (120 posts) -

I'll be there

#18 Posted by gerp (193 posts) -

I'm down see you guys then (Xbox 360)

#19 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1766 posts) -

I'll pop in and see what's up provided I'm around then (PS3). 

#20 Posted by MVP1101 (209 posts) -

Sounds fun count me in. (PS3)

#21 Posted by Voxatron (352 posts) -

I like this (PS3)

#22 Edited by Slaker117 (4842 posts) -

Big thanks to user normal for the right to use his awesome Giant Bomb/Mortal Kombat mash-up logo.

If anyone wants to give the banner a fancier text treatment using a program better than MS Paint, go ahead. You can find the raw logo image here ( alt version) and an archive of Mortal Kombat fonts here.

#23 Posted by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

I saw how laggy the PS3 version was and sold my copy lol :P

#24 Posted by CandiBunni (465 posts) -

When I get a copy of MK, I'll be sure to join in on this. :3 (PS3)

#25 Posted by Slaker117 (4842 posts) -

Just a small reminder that this is happening tomorrow, 3:30PM. Be there!

#26 Posted by PrioritySeven (322 posts) -

I'm terrible, but I'll give it a go. (360)

#27 Posted by bmehlers (130 posts) -

I'm not very good either, but I'll play. (PS3)

#28 Posted by TechHits (1378 posts) -

How many hours till this goes live? 

#29 Posted by Slaker117 (4842 posts) -
@TechHits: It'll be in one and a half hours.
#30 Posted by Slaker117 (4842 posts) -

Starting in ten minutes. Jump in the "GIANTBOMB" lobby to join! If you're watching TNT instead, hopefully we'll have a few people staying after 6.

#31 Edited by Ulong (445 posts) -

Hi, I'm the guy who was in as Riphal, did pretty good with Flesh Pit Milena.
messed around with other people a little, but main Milena.

Bodega had a crazy good pressure game as raiden.

#32 Edited by Slaker117 (4842 posts) -
@Ulong: Cool, you were working us pretty good for a while there.

Wish we could have gotten more people, but it was fun while it lasted. Hope this can keep up in the coming weeks, though I'm thinking about changing the time as not to compete with TNT now that the heat on MK seems to have died down some.
#33 Posted by DonChipotle (2760 posts) -

I wish I had seen this thread sooner. I am down for this next week.

#34 Posted by musclerider (589 posts) -
@VelvetLore04 said:
I wish I had seen this thread sooner. I am down for this next week.
This.
#35 Posted by musclerider (589 posts) -

Now that I think about it wouldn't it be better to schedule it on a day that isn't Thursday? I mean if there are people who watch or participate in the TNT they would miss out on most of this.

#36 Edited by Slaker117 (4842 posts) -
@musclerider: In previous weeks we've had people create GB lobbies during TNT even before any mention of MK in hopes that the staff would switch over from whatever games they were playing. I originally intended to take advantage of that hype with the time slot, but that seems to have taken a nose dive this past week. I've thus changed the time to directly following TNT as to not compete with the show, but not confuse people too much. If others think it best to change the day entirely, that's fine too. Though honestly, if we can't get more eyes on this thread, the whole idea will probably die out soon.
#37 Posted by hedfone (1751 posts) -

I'll be all over this as soon as they patch the online.

#38 Posted by Redbullet685 (6044 posts) -

Sounds fun. 360.

#39 Posted by Slaker117 (4842 posts) -

Reminder, this is happening tonight at 6pm Pacific. Join us, won't you?

#40 Posted by TekZero (2672 posts) -

Dude, I'm there. 

(To get my ass kicked)

#41 Posted by NinjaHunter (973 posts) -

I didn't see a room in the PS3 version so I'll most likely make one today if there isn't a room. Same time that's listed in the first post.

#42 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1851 posts) -

I'll join up if I can, PSN is InnocentBlood.

#43 Posted by NinjaHunter (973 posts) -

The PS3 room is up so come and join!

#44 Edited by Slaker117 (4842 posts) -

I have to go early, but the room is up on 360. We already have a few people right now. Come on in and fight dudes!

#45 Posted by President_Barackbar (3462 posts) -

We need to get some kind of skill variation in there. There was someone in there just wrecking everyone else and its really not fun when everyone else is sorta average and you have one guy doing 45% combos.

#46 Posted by NinjaHunter (973 posts) -

Aaaaand the PS3 room is down. Was fun, hopefully we'll get more people in there next week.

#47 Posted by NegativeCero (3002 posts) -

Would love to join if I wasn't so horrible at the game. Will try to get better first.

#48 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1851 posts) -
@NinjaHunter said:
Aaaaand the PS3 room is down. Was fun, hopefully we'll get more people in there next week.
Of course, after my internet finally comes back. Stupid storm. Hope to get back into it next week!
#49 Posted by Slaker117 (4842 posts) -
@President_Barackbar: Yeah, it would be nice if people could restrain themselves to keep things fun and competitive. I was hoping the community aspect would encourage a more forgiving environment. I know that I could play smarter, but choose to be sloppy because it's more fun.

I don't want to set any hard rules at this time, but would like to ask the more skilled players to moderate their play as not to discourage people. If continues to be a problem we'll create some guidelines to separate into subgroups by ability.
#50 Edited by TekZero (2672 posts) -

Yeah, I made it there last night.  I lost more than I won, but I felt I made a good showing as Noob and not so much as Kabal.   Good times tho.  When you guys do it again, I'll be back. 

GT: ColdCyberfuNK

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.