Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

Having trouble starting Kombos...any tips?

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Chummy8

Duders,  

I've been practicing with Noob mainly and I have a nice variety of BnB combos.  If I get the guy right, I can pull off some nice damage.  The trouble is that I keep having a hard time getting them started.  Sure it's easy to do against a training dummy, but real players are just always dancing or countering anything I try to set up.  Any tips?

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TechHits
    @TekZero: all combos have a time and place,  all you need to figure out is when to use the normal attack that starts your combos. If all your combos start with the same normal, learn to do the highest damage one consistently... then learn some new combos.  :P

but if you would like some more specific help, you would need to say what combos you are having trouble landing. 
    KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By KarlPilkington
    @Somebody in the future said:
    Use more skill.
    GregIsRad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By GregIsRad

Find out which combo you can start up the fastest. i.e. which combo's first normal attack comes out the quickest so it's unlikely to be countered when that rat bastard Kung Lao is giving you his own hair trigger fast attacks. That seems to be the most logical first step since combos with slow starts can be tough to pull off if you're not combo-ing off a jumping punch to begin with.

Since I'm a subzero player, it's easy to start up combos against dudes that are frozen, but since almost all my normals come out painfully slow, my best defense against a kung lao player who is super aggressive and is trying to rush me down with his crazy fast attacks, is to ice slide quite a bit, since it's really quick. Sorry to take your question and run in a completely different direction with it.

ThePhenomenal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By ThePhenomenal1

this game is more about punishing wiffs than anything else. find out what the best punishment option for noob is.

though imo, noob saibot is best sitting at a long distance trying to zone fuckers out. hes not very suitable for up close engagements. you want combos that are easy to do and have millions of ways to set them up, consider playing Liu Kang. hes got great high/low mixups and has easy-mode combos. all you gotta know is b312 is your low that pop ups and 213 is your overhead that pop ups. from there you can juggle the shit outta anyone AND carry them across the damn stage into the corner where you are one mixup away from giving them a very bad day with a 15 hit corner juggle that literally is just b312 over and over again finishing with a b31 low fireball. one more mixup, and they're dead.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I have a tendency to start combos with a jump-in punch or a cross-up, and if the combo starts with a punch then I try to land the alternate punch in the air before the combo, just to help myself visualize the input.

For instance, Reptile has a normal combo that goes X, Y, Y, X (or, 1, 2, 2, 1, in fighting game vernacular). So I'll jump in with a Y-punch and then begin inputting the combo.

I tend to prioritize combos that send my opponent airborne, opening them up for a juggle, or combos that can incorporate moves that stun the opponent or lock them in place. The aforementioned Reptile combo is a great example of the former if you leave off that last X (as X, Y, Y leaves the opponent hanging in the air long enough for Reptile to let loose an Acid Ball). For the latter, Sub-Zero's Y, Y-into-Down, Forward, A is the best example. On a confirmed hit the opponent is powerless against an ice blast, allowing Sub-Zero to move in with a deadlier combo and perhaps a juggle as well.

Now, this strategy isn't fool-proof, of course. But it's a great way to start.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Chummy8

A lot of good input, thanks guys.  After reading some more strategy on noob, I tried actually zoning a little more and was a little more successful. 

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Bobby_The_Great
    @TekZero

To be quite honest, Noob isn't really a "combo" player. You can do some decent ones here and there, but he can only really do crazy combos in the corner.  

He's a turtle and a zoner, that's why his clones are amazing.
    Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Chummy8
    @ThePhenomenal1 said:

this game is more about punishing wiffs than anything else. find out what the best punishment option for noob is.

though imo, noob saibot is best sitting at a long distance trying to zone fuckers out. hes not very suitable for up close engagements. you want combos that are easy to do and have millions of ways to set them up, consider playing Liu Kang. hes got great high/low mixups and has easy-mode combos. all you gotta know is b312 is your low that pop ups and 213 is your overhead that pop ups. from there you can juggle the shit outta anyone AND carry them across the damn stage into the corner where you are one mixup away from giving them a very bad day with a 15 hit corner juggle that literally is just b312 over and over again finishing with a b31 low fireball. one more mixup, and they're dead.

You know what, this really helped me last night.  I got a little better in blocking and making sure that I punished every whif against me using a harder combo to block.  Just like that, I started owning dudes and down right humiliating them (got the flawless victory achievement last night legit).  I extended my win streak to 5 and got my win/loss ratio to 50% (it was something like 4/12 on ranked).  

Boosted by the victories, I played until my fingers just wouldn't cooperate anymore. 

Thanks for the help!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.