Ive played the PS Plus demo..

• 65 results
#1 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -

and man this game is looking quite good. Im loving how approachable they made the game for new people (I remember finding the old MK games rather hard to get into since I was new) and the graphics look quite good on PS3. The eviseration that happens when fighting is brutal, and the XRAY hits are quite cool. The demo isnt very long, but the good thing is you can keep playing the ladder of 5 opponents over and over again with the 4 chacters (Melinna, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and Johnny)  

Anyway, this game has jumped to a must rent for me, and the only reason im renting it over buying it is because I dont have the money right now.
#2 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

OOO! I'm looking forward to playing it a week from now then. (Eff PS Plus!)

#3 Posted by captain_clayman (3321 posts) -

this sounds super appealing to me and i like, never play fighting games.  as long as it's better than shitty ass Mortal Kombat Armageddon was, i might be down for a rental.

#4 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -
@Afroman269:

lol, haters gonna hate. I quite like my PS Plus.
#5 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Who are in the demo and stages?

#6 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11025 posts) -

Must rent sounds silly to me. Good to see it's fun though, but I'll stick with MvC3. 

Moderator Online
#7 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -
@captain_clayman:

I thought it was pretty simple. I only have basic knowledge on palying fighting games, and by that I mean I know how to do a dragon punch.  

lol, actualy im ok at fighting games.
#8 Edited by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -
@Dany:

Johnny Cage, Melinna, Sub Zero and Scorpion. I dont know the stages names, but there is Creepy Tree stage and theres  precariously placed castle bridge stage.
#9 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Is it as stiff as it looks, or is it actually pretty responsive?

#10 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -
@Raven_Sword:
Hmm, creepy tree stage sounds like its from four. Wonder how many of the stages are going to classics.
#11 Edited by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -
@Dany:

these are the stages in the demo:  

#12 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -

BTW: I will be quite dissapointed in giantbomb if there is not a quicklook of this demo by the end of the week.
#13 Posted by MatPaget (1115 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
" Is it as stiff as it looks, or is it actually pretty responsive? "
It's very fluid. 
I hate fighting games but lately (MvC3 and this) I have been kindling a new found love for them!
#14 Posted by xyzygy (9993 posts) -
@Raven_Sword said:
" BTW: I will be quite dissapointed in giantbomb if there is not a quicklook of this demo by the end of the week. "
Lol, why not just quicklook the game when it's released? What's the sense of quicklooking a demo when the game is soon here? haha
#15 Posted by Rockanomics (1150 posts) -
@Raven_Sword: Is there local multiplayer in the demo?
#16 Posted by Ratcabbage (250 posts) -
TRMK has a bunch of archived footage from the demo: LINK
#17 Posted by Slaker117 (4842 posts) -

I don't care about fighting games. I've never cared about fighting games. I want this demo to come out on xbl already so I can play it. Don't know what it is, but I'm super interested in this.

I blame Brad.

#18 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -
@xyzygy:

They quicklook demos all the damn time.
#19 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -
@Rockanomics:

yup.
#20 Edited by Maajin (1064 posts) -

I'm not a fan of MK since MK2, but everything I was seeing about this game was getting my hopes up and I started believing again. That said, I really wasn't prepared for how much I was going to love this demo. Everything seems perfect to me, from the weight of the characters to how easy it is to get crazy combos going, from the ridiculous amount of gore to the varied winning animations from everyone (loved how Scorpion goes to hell when he wins).

I'm a pretty critical guy, and it really says a lot when the only thing I hope they change in the final game is the amount of introduction quotes for each character.

And Johnny Cage is awesome.

#21 Posted by Nikral (288 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" @Raven_Sword said:
" BTW: I will be quite dissapointed in giantbomb if there is not a quicklook of this demo by the end of the week. "
Lol, why not just quicklook the game when it's released? What's the sense of quicklooking a demo when the game is soon here? haha "
Because from what Brad and Ryan? (Cant remember the second person) have been saying they are pretty excited about this game...  

I just played the PSN demo as well, loving it so far. Def. going to pre-order. Hope there will be more than just 1 Fatality for each character though... 
#22 Edited by Sanious (793 posts) -

On the pit stage I made out one of the characters in the background fighting. One is Frost the other might be Reiko or Jarek? 

Edit: Actually it seems like it's different fighters each time. Sweet.

#23 Posted by niamahai (1405 posts) -

Johnny Cage can punch girls THERE too! 

This game is already awesome.

#24 Posted by MrGetBonus (782 posts) -

I wish it had a training mode instead of arcade. Would be so much more useful. Overall, it seems pretty sweet though.

#25 Posted by RecSpec (3817 posts) -

I had no interest in this game, hell, I haven't had interest in Mortal Kombat since 4.  

But this demo makes me want to buy this game. Had a lot of fun with it.

#26 Edited by KamikazeCaterpillar (1179 posts) -

I was so happy to see this thread since I didn't know that was a demo out. The demo is amazing! If it turns out to be true that Kabal is in the game I am definitely going to be picking this up. I know it's weird to base a game purchase on a single character but he is my go to character when it comes to MK. 

#27 Posted by TJ311 (415 posts) -
@Raven_Sword said:
would u call THIS a quick look?
#28 Posted by HadesTimes (804 posts) -

I played the demo too.  Every character beaten on Expert.  Lots of fun.  I was even able to do a few Fatalities.  I know it sounds greedy but I just wish we had a couple more characters to play with.  Or maybe larger ladders.  It's like your getting used to playing and it's over. BTW, looks like a fight stick is going to be a good purchase for this game.  Otherwise, get a controller with a descent D-Pad because the analog stick will do you practically no good, when pulling off moves with more than 2 inputs. 
  Currently loving Scorpion and Sub-Zero...  Can't wait to try the rest of them.

#29 Posted by JacDG (2126 posts) -

I have never owned a fighting game in my life (except a few Fight Night games) but with MvC3 getting a lot of attention on this site, I'm beginning to be intrigued by the genre and certainly this game. I have PSN plus, so I'll download it when I get home if I can make it before PSN is going down for maintenance. I suck at fighting game, probably as bad as you can be, so hopefully this has some good traning modes and such, because I will need it if I get the game.

#30 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -
@Dany said:
" @Raven_Sword: Hmm, creepy tree stage sounds like its from four. Wonder how many of the stages are going to classics. "
Both stages are pretty much right out of 2.
#31 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

Feels really heavy compared to something like Street Fighter.

#32 Posted by Sackmanjones (4705 posts) -

I know this is only a demo but from what I have played, it seems like Mortal Kombat has returned

Mortal Kombat.....WINSSSS

#33 Posted by FesteringNeon (2164 posts) -

The demo looks pretty decent.. my only complaint is their voices before the match. They sound like generic pussies. just sayin' : /

#34 Posted by N7 (3589 posts) -

Agreed. As someone who isn't so much a fan of Mortal Kombat aside from wanting the series to really start being awesome again, I gotta say that the demo made me go "Wait, WHAT!? This is amazing!"

I had no intention whatsoever to even think about getting this game until I played the demo. The way everything looks and feels, it's awesome. I cannot wait.

#35 Posted by pantzing_nome (583 posts) -
#36 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -
@theplatypus said:
"And Johnny Cage is awesome."

Cage was always a dbag which made him awesome in my eyes so please tell me he still has that dbag attitude.
#37 Posted by litrock (173 posts) -
@LunarAura: He has his name tattooed on his chest, and on a big shiny belt buckle. And when he wins, his sunglasses break and fall off, and he pulls out MORE SUNGLASSES to wear.   

Yep, douche is in full effect. Also, he's amazing.
#38 Posted by Michael_B_Back (20 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" @Raven_Sword said:
Lol, why not just quicklook the game when it's released? What's the sense of quicklooking a demo when the game is soon here? haha "
  1. They're always doing Quick Looks of demos and betas and then a follow-up Quick Look of the full game when it comes out, there's nothing wrong with that
  2. Jeff is a huge MK fan and has been playing the demo a lot according to his status updates so would not only be able to give us an MK fan's perspective, but would also be able to show off some good gameplay
  3. The game is still over a month away, and the demo is, at least for now, only available to people with PS+, and next week it'll still only be available to PS3 owners with no 360 date confirmed
  4. It's not like there's much else out for them to Quick Look at the moment, and filming a 20 minute video of a demo that they're already playing a hell of a lot of is hardly going to cause them much trouble
  5. We barely get any QL's lately so it would be nice of them to do and I'd happily watch it

#39 Posted by RecSpec (3817 posts) -

How long have MK games had a move list that told you how to do the fatalities. 

It seemed really weird seeing them there, haha.

#40 Posted by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

I saw some videos of this game and JESUS, this game is BRUTAL, i love the graphics and art style, i love how battle damage gets carried over rounds. The x-ray special is amazing!!!!!!!!! 

Its a shame i dont care for PS plus, i mean would i pay just to play this demo? probably not 

but that being said, iam waiting for the release of this game heh

#41 Posted by Iron_Past (172 posts) -
@Nikral said:
 Hope there will be more than just 1 Fatality for each character though...  "
At least two, up to four. There's more -alities in there, though...
#42 Edited by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -
@Raven_Sword said:

"The eviseration that happens when fighting is brutal"

Did you mean eviscerate? As in disembowling?  

If it turns out you can actually eviscerate people throughout the course of a fight, my mind will be blown. 
#43 Posted by KamikazeCaterpillar (1179 posts) -
@pantzing_nome: You just made my day. I was trying to find something about whether or not he would be in the game and most of the stuff I was coming across was speculation in forums.
#44 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan said:
" Must rent sounds silly to me.  "
Me too. 

I'd love to give this a try. Yet one more disadvantage for me not owning a PS3.
#45 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -
@GetEveryone said:
"@Raven_Sword said:

"The eviseration that happens when fighting is brutal"

Did you mean eviscerate? As in disembowling?   If it turns out you can actually eviscerate people throughout the course of a fight, my mind will be blown.  "

There is, at the very least, a lot of exsanguinating going on during the fight.
#46 Posted by iyaoyas615 (81 posts) -

Played it last night and was pretty blown away I'm not a big fighting game person but this game seems really accessible for a noob like me.

#47 Posted by JacDG (2126 posts) -
@iyaoyas615 said:
" Played it last night and was pretty blown away I'm not a big fighting game person but this game seems really accessible for a noob like me. "
Just played about an hour and a half for it, and I would have to agree, quite accessible at least offline, I had a few problems on Hard difficulty but I did well, if there was online however.... well things would probably look waaaay different. To sum it all up, I think this is going to be the first fighting game I'll ever purchase!
#48 Posted by Maajin (1064 posts) -
@RecSpec said:
" How long have MK games had a move list that told you how to do the fatalities.  It seemed really weird seeing them there, haha. "
They had them for a while now, I remember MK4 already having a move list. Not that it matters when you're playing online...
#49 Posted by RecSpec (3817 posts) -

The Test Your Luck sequence made me want this game bad too. Reminds me of the arcade when you would button mash the prefight screen and get something on accident. 

Also, I'm definitely buying this at GameStop for Scorpions fatality. Split Decision was pretty dull.

#50 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

I agree, I haven't been a huge fan of MK for the longest time but I loved them back when I was younger, this has got me super hyped to play it, its incredible. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.