Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

Major League Gaming picks up MK9 (aaaAAAaaa eeeeesports!)

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

Edited By FLStyle

To the Fighting Game Community's amazement, Mortal Kombat was announced to return at EVO 2012 and now MLG now has MK9 too!

• Mortal Kombat's sales and Warner Bros. on-board has made it a powerhouse with or without a tournament scene that up until now has been on it's last legs
    • Capcom it seems are still being stubborn over letting any of their titles grace MLG, SSFIV: 2012 or UMvC3

Many of the Fighting Game Community of which Capcom games is the overwhelming majority will be divided between disappointment and relief. It's no secret that the FGC have been worried about MLG not representing their games or its community with respect at its events (previous attempts at including fighting games in eSports events have gone pretty badly). Others however have welcomed the idea of bigger audiences and cash prizes.

Mortal Kombat itself won't be the exact same game that debuted at EVO 2011 last July. Back then the DLC characters were banned for releasing too soon (or not at all) before EVO 2011, meaning players couldn't train up their match-ups and knowledge. So Rain, Skarlet, Kenshi and Freddie will all be making appearances. Kratos will still be banned at EVO 2012 as he hasn't appeared on 360 (not that anyone was expecting him to) and I imagine if MLG are planning on doing this properly they'll ban him too.

Tweets and emails are already going around between some of the FGC personalities and MLG big wigs to get this done right, including Team Spooky's "aaaAAAaaa eeeesports" Arturo Sanchez. Whether other Capcom players who tried out MK9 last year will return is up in the air. Even after the EVO 2012 announcement Justin Wong said he wouldn't be entering, will he now?

Keep in mind that this is for MLG's Winter Season, how well they run it and how popular it turns out to be will be factors in whether it stays on or not.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By FLStyle

To the Fighting Game Community's amazement, Mortal Kombat was announced to return at EVO 2012 and now MLG now has MK9 too!

• Mortal Kombat's sales and Warner Bros. on-board has made it a powerhouse with or without a tournament scene that up until now has been on it's last legs
    • Capcom it seems are still being stubborn over letting any of their titles grace MLG, SSFIV: 2012 or UMvC3

Many of the Fighting Game Community of which Capcom games is the overwhelming majority will be divided between disappointment and relief. It's no secret that the FGC have been worried about MLG not representing their games or its community with respect at its events (previous attempts at including fighting games in eSports events have gone pretty badly). Others however have welcomed the idea of bigger audiences and cash prizes.

Mortal Kombat itself won't be the exact same game that debuted at EVO 2011 last July. Back then the DLC characters were banned for releasing too soon (or not at all) before EVO 2011, meaning players couldn't train up their match-ups and knowledge. So Rain, Skarlet, Kenshi and Freddie will all be making appearances. Kratos will still be banned at EVO 2012 as he hasn't appeared on 360 (not that anyone was expecting him to) and I imagine if MLG are planning on doing this properly they'll ban him too.

Tweets and emails are already going around between some of the FGC personalities and MLG big wigs to get this done right, including Team Spooky's "aaaAAAaaa eeeesports" Arturo Sanchez. Whether other Capcom players who tried out MK9 last year will return is up in the air. Even after the EVO 2012 announcement Justin Wong said he wouldn't be entering, will he now?

Keep in mind that this is for MLG's Winter Season, how well they run it and how popular it turns out to be will be factors in whether it stays on or not.

Osu16Bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Osu16Bit

This is great news but the timing is bad. They haven't given us much time to make travel plans and it takes place in the middle of the Evo season when everyone already has other trips planned. The Winter Championship is just 3 weeks after Final Round, a major almost every top player is attending. I live within driving distance, if I didn't there is no way I could go. I cannot buy two plane tickets in a month. Even then it's going to be a pain to go because i'll have to take off more time from work I wasn't planning to. I might anyway once I see the payout but I expect the turnout to be lower than it should. I hope the turnout is big enough to justify other events and they don't blame the MK scene for not supporting the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.