Mortal Kombat "9" PC port?

#1 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Hey guys, I was a big MK fan in the arcades and I had a lot of fun in MK4 on the PC but since then there hasn't been a PC port of the new MK games. The new game looks awesome. So... I wanted to ask you if there is a way to justify a PC port?
 Capcom made SF4 PC version... Do you know if it did well?  Do you think MK will sell enough on the PC if there was a port?

#2 Posted by StaticFalconar (4850 posts) -

Yeah SF4 did so well that it was the most pirated game that year. Some might call shenanigans to those reports, but there is a reason why SSF4 as of this writing will not be coming on the PC. 

#3 Posted by jvsexy (169 posts) -

They making it for the PS3 and X360....no PC.

#4 Posted by julian81 (1 posts) -

Ed Boon say that the Mortal Kombat 9 team may also follow in Street Fighter IV's footsteps and will think about releasing a version of the game for the PC. - Kotaku
 
can't wait!!!

#5 Posted by august (3866 posts) -
@StaticFalconar said:
"Yeah SF4 did so well that it was the most pirated game that year. Some might call shenanigans to those reports, but there is a reason why SSF4 as of this writing will not be coming on the PC.  "

Actually it was the fifth most pirated game of 2009.
#6 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -
@august said:
" @StaticFalconar said:
"Yeah SF4 did so well that it was the most pirated game that year. Some might call shenanigans to those reports, but there is a reason why SSF4 as of this writing will not be coming on the PC.  "
Actually it was the fifth most pirated game of 2009. "
That's still pretty high.
#7 Posted by Robstaroth (1 posts) -

Who cares  if that´s the most pirated game ever? 
  I wanna see it in pc, they dont make me buy a ps3 only for  1 game.
The game looks awesome. I think  that is a very good idea to make it for pc in all aspects, money, popularity, etc.
Imagine the mods posible for this!
 
just make it!

#8 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@KingBroly
@august said:
" @StaticFalconar said:
"Yeah SF4 did so well that it was the most pirated game that year. Some might call shenanigans to those reports, but there is a reason why SSF4 as of this writing will not be coming on the PC.  "
Actually it was the fifth most pirated game of 2009. "
That's still pretty high.
It's a high profile title, what did you expect?
It also sold exceptionally well too on pc.
#9 Posted by Metal_Mills (3046 posts) -
@StaticFalconar said:
" Yeah SF4 did so well that it was the most pirated game that year. Some might call shenanigans to those reports, but there is a reason why SSF4 as of this writing will not be coming on the PC.  "
It sold very well on PC. There is no reason why SSF4 couldn't come but they still won't do it. So you get strong sales, good profit and some pirating. Or no sales, no profit, no pirating. I know which one I'd pick.
#10 Posted by jok3rxfear (10 posts) -
@StaticFalconar said:
Yeah SF4 did so well that it was the most pirated game that year. Some might call shenanigans to those reports, but there is a reason why SSF4 as of this writing will not be coming on the PC. 
SSF4 is coming to the PC in July 2011. Check the steam store. There is no reason why MK 2011 shouldn't come to the PC, cos piracy is on every platform. Hardcore fans like myself would still buy the original any day. If Ed Boon decides to just stick to the consoles then, it's his loss. I am waiting for MK 2011 for the PC, hope it does come.
#11 Posted by Cordiss (18 posts) -

I would love to see MK9 come to PC. Buying a console and a HDTV for one game alone is a bit too crazy.
So I've been asking Ed Boon on twitter about a PC port. No answer yet. It's hard to get a straight answer. All we have to go on are hints at and speculation.

We'll have to wait and see. Perhaps there will be an announcement at E3?

#12 Posted by fox01313 (5089 posts) -
@phrosnite:
 Seeing how MK4 was the last pc game in the MK franchise, I seriously doubt that this will be coming to PC as the last few like MK vs DC didn't go to PC either.
#13 Posted by imsh_pl (3314 posts) -
@jok3rxfear said:
@StaticFalconar said:
Yeah SF4 did so well that it was the most pirated game that year. Some might call shenanigans to those reports, but there is a reason why SSF4 as of this writing will not be coming on the PC. 
SSF4 is coming to the PC in July 2011. Check the steam store. There is no reason why MK 2011 shouldn't come to the PC, cos piracy is on every platform. Hardcore fans like myself would still buy the original any day. If Ed Boon decides to just stick to the consoles then, it's his loss. I am waiting for MK 2011 for the PC, hope it does come.
...the guy wrote the post 11 months ago.

On the port topic: I doubt it will happen. I see no reason why they wouldn't release the game on the PC already if they wanted to. It would also get pirated like mad.
#14 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -
@fox01313 said:
@phrosnite:  Seeing how MK4 was the last pc game in the MK franchise, I seriously doubt that this will be coming to PC as the last few like MK vs DC didn't go to PC either.
LIES! WB are greedy!!! If there wasn't a PC version coming there wouldn't be a PC version of the Arcade Kollection!
#15 Posted by EuanDewar (5098 posts) -
@phrosnite said:
@fox01313 said:
@phrosnite:  Seeing how MK4 was the last pc game in the MK franchise, I seriously doubt that this will be coming to PC as the last few like MK vs DC didn't go to PC either.
LIES! WB are greedy!!! If there wasn't a PC version coming there wouldn't be a PC version of the Arcade Kollection!
No, there's a PC version of Arkade Kollection because those games were already on PC. Simple as. I think there's even a quote somewhere of someone from WB saying that, I'll try and find it.
#16 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -
@EuanDewar said:
@phrosnite said:
@fox01313 said:
@phrosnite:  Seeing how MK4 was the last pc game in the MK franchise, I seriously doubt that this will be coming to PC as the last few like MK vs DC didn't go to PC either.
LIES! WB are greedy!!! If there wasn't a PC version coming there wouldn't be a PC version of the Arcade Kollection!
No, there's a PC version of Arkade Kollection because those games were already on PC. Simple as. I think there's even a quote somewhere of someone from WB saying that, I'll try and find it.
It's a Unreal engine game! It's dirt cheap to port it! Why wouldn't they do it? If the Arcade Kollection sells enough they will definitely port the new game to the PC.

Why do you think Ubisoft is going ports of AC for the PC? Why do a port when the game is selling 9 million copies on the consoles? Why hustle with piracy? BECAUSE IT'S DIRT CHEAP TO PORT IT! Jade Raymond said it once.
#17 Posted by EuanDewar (5098 posts) -
@phrosnite: Calm down, I have no idea whether or not MK is coming to PC, but if it does, MK Arkade is not the reason. All im sayin'.
#18 Posted by fox01313 (5089 posts) -
@EuanDewar:
 The arcade collection is Mk1-3, but aside from that & MK4, there's not been any PC versions of MK for the last few console games. Granted there might be a pc version on MK9 in the future but they've had time to make PC versions of MK5-8 & haven't yet done so which is why I'm thinking that as they've been so strong on the consoles that there'd be issues with putting it on the pc (connections, servers, cheating, ect).
#19 Posted by Yanngc33 (4461 posts) -
@StaticFalconar said:
Yeah SF4 did so well that it was the most pirated game that year. Some might call shenanigans to those reports, but there is a reason why SSF4 as of this writing will not be coming on the PC. 
I know you made this comment 11 months ago but Super Street Fighter is indeed coming to the PC :p
#20 Posted by fox01313 (5089 posts) -
@phrosnite:
Big difference in the Arcade Kollection as it's going to XBLA/PSN based off games from years ago.

Well whatever Ubisoft wants to do is up to Ubisoft, but last time I checked Netherrealm & WB weren't following everything that Ubisoft does. Let Netherrealm know about your thoughts on a PC version, they might do something about it.
#21 Posted by EuanDewar (5098 posts) -
@fox01313 said:
@EuanDewar:  The arcade collection is Mk1-3, but aside from that & MK4, there's not been any PC versions of MK for the last few console games. Granted there might be a pc version on MK9 in the future but they've had time to make PC versions of MK5-8 & haven't yet done so which is why I'm thinking that as they've been so strong on the consoles that there'd be issues with putting it on the pc (connections, servers, cheating, ect).
Exactly what I was thinking, although im not sure why you told me this instead of the OP.
#22 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -
@fox01313 said:
@phrosnite: Big difference in the Arcade Kollection as it's going to XBLA/PSN based off games from years ago. Well whatever Ubisoft wants to do is up to Ubisoft, but last time I checked Netherrealm & WB weren't following everything that Ubisoft does. Let Netherrealm know about your thoughts on a PC version, they might do something about it.
I don't think one guy is enough :( If it doesn't come to the PC(I'm sure it will) at least I will be playing the first 3 games. Also I hope they will be on Steam and not some other weird... thingy.
#23 Posted by geirr (2709 posts) -

Yeah I'd love to see some tesselated entrails flying about in 60fps.

#24 Posted by Cordiss (18 posts) -

Hey guys, if you're interested in supporting a PC port of the game, visit the themortalkombat.com forums and throw in your two cents!
 http://boards.themortalkombat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1461

Ed Boon has already confirmed our fears via twitter, there's no PC port in the works right now. But they have talked about it. Maybe if we turn up the volume some, they'll talk about it again!

#25 Posted by Cordiss (18 posts) -
#26 Posted by Bestostero (2750 posts) -
@Cordiss: I saw that tweet too, but i wouldn't take it so seriously, you have to watch out for what Boon says lol
#27 Posted by Cordiss (18 posts) -
@xhavoc86: Yes, I know. But whatever keeps his attention at this group of disgruntled PC gamers asking for a port is all good for me. I want this game on PC! And so do many more. And the bigger part of Russian gamers. It's odd because so many don't see the logic in not releasing it on PC, while NRS seemingly does. Or Warner Bros does.


...


Does Warner have a twitter account?
#28 Posted by jok3rxfear (10 posts) -
@imsh_pl: @imsh_pl said:
@jok3rxfear said:
@StaticFalconar said:
Yeah SF4 did so well that it was the most pirated game that year. Some might call shenanigans to those reports, but there is a reason why SSF4 as of this writing will not be coming on the PC. 
SSF4 is coming to the PC in July 2011. Check the steam store. There is no reason why MK 2011 shouldn't come to the PC, cos piracy is on every platform. Hardcore fans like myself would still buy the original any day. If Ed Boon decides to just stick to the consoles then, it's his loss. I am waiting for MK 2011 for the PC, hope it does come.
...the guy wrote the post 11 months ago.On the port topic: I doubt it will happen. I see no reason why they wouldn't release the game on the PC already if they wanted to. It would also get pirated like mad.
Actually, SSF4 is coming to the PC after a year of it's console release. So, we could still hope the same for MK. I already pre-ordered SS4, should be fun with all the balancing. ^_^ And regarding StaticFalconar's comment, yeah he did post it like 11 months ago but, then again he doesn't work for Capcom to make confirmation statements like that right. No offense intended BTW.
#29 Edited by elagujero (6 posts) -

EDIT
 
release a PC version and put these on there plus anything else people want to suggest....
 
-new soundtrack
-new stages
-include all dlcs
-PC exclusive costumes, by that i mean they probably won't release alternates for their dlc or cyber sub, so add that for the pc.
-dedicated servers, REAL dedicated servers.
-an option to capture matches and/or go back and watch them.
 
oh, and make sure each char has their own spot, so obviously changing the char select screen

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.