Mortal Kombat coming to the Vita.

#1 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Mortal Kombat has been confirmed by NetherRelm Studios for the Playstation Vita. I gotta say, the Vita is becoming more and more appealing.

http://uk.vita.ign.com/articles/121/1216634p1.html

#2 Edited by handlas (2697 posts) -

Freddy on the cover? Weird. (i hope having all of them on the cover means they will be in the game to begin with)

I look forward to it. I haven't touched MK9 in awhile. I think I'd enjoy playing it along with Marvel vs Capcom on a handheld.

#3 Posted by RE_Player1 (7563 posts) -

I enjoy playing fighters on handhelds, Darkstalkers being my favorite. Glad this finally got announced because I wanted to get a fighter for Vita and was getting desperate enough to consider Marvel vs Capcom even though I'm not much of a vs guy.

#4 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

This is a strong reason to get to system for me as Mortal Kombat is the only fighting game I really enjoy. I'll probably get it over the summer.

#5 Posted by handlas (2697 posts) -

also Street Fighter vs Tekken coming to the Vita according to the new trailer...with Pac-Man?

Lots of fighting games.

#6 Posted by DonutFever (3553 posts) -

I missed out on it the first time (Portal 2, man!), so I guess this is my chance.

#7 Posted by Slaker117 (4843 posts) -

If I had a Vita, I would play the hell out of some MK9, however, MK9 is not reason enough for me to get a Vita.

#8 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

I like they have that cover, so people wouldn't have to ask.

#9 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11276 posts) -

Can I transfar my save over?

#10 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

Gotta agree the Vita is getting interesting. MK9 was one of my favorite games this year, I wonder if it'll be straight port of the console version with the DLC characters added or something else.

#11 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

tap the back screen to make toasty guy appear

#12 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5276 posts) -

That's cool for people who haven't played the game yet or are really into it. I'm kinda done with MK for now.

#13 Posted by captain_clayman (3325 posts) -

oh man that sounds badass. that is if i have friends with PS Vita

#14 Posted by StrainedEyes (1326 posts) -

I'm guessing this will be the box art for the Komplete Edition, too.

#15 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4628 posts) -

Well...if I want to enjoy my Vita for more than a week, I'll have to avoid story mode at all costs.

Fuck you Shao Kahn.

#16 Posted by CollegeGuyMike (390 posts) -

Cool. I like playing SSF4 on the 3DS, and I have MK for PS3. So if I do get a Vita I guess I'll have even more portable fighting goodness. Yay!..?

#17 Posted by Stete (748 posts) -

I remember ages ago Ed Boon said that he was working on this before the vita was even announced. Anyhow if I ever get a vita, im definitely getting this, I havent had this much fun in a fighting game since Soul Calibur 2.

#18 Edited by JTB123 (1048 posts) -

Really curious to see what the new content will be, the closer it gets the more I'm looking forward to the Vita, especially after playing one.

#19 Posted by Bulby33 (599 posts) -

Yup, a Sony handheld having console ports. Not surprising at all! 

Not that it'll be bad or anything, but I'd just rather play this on my TV.

#20 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

Can I transfar my save over?

No! On a Metal Gear? can transfar

#21 Posted by kindgineer (2767 posts) -

Hot damn, I am so glad I am getting one of those.

#22 Posted by Redbullet685 (6052 posts) -

The Vita sounds more appealing every time someone announces a new game for it.

#23 Posted by TCSRush (25 posts) -

This is going to be an interesting port. Because the success of Street Fighter IV on the iPhone, i think this port would be a pretty good entry for the series.

#24 Posted by Spoonman671 (4693 posts) -

Cool, but I don't think I'll be buying it a second time.  It would be cool to get a few fatalities in before going to bed though.

#25 Posted by FLStyle (4765 posts) -

I imagine MK inputs are easier to do on a hand-held than Capcom games, interesting.

#26 Posted by thechronodarkness (294 posts) -

Actually.....If any of you remember, technically Mortal Kombat was one of the first announced games for the at the time 'psp 2". I remember reading that there were tests done on the handheld, just to see how it performed, and the team was really happy with it.

Personally, I'm surprised it took this long to 'officially' announce it. Its not like the vita is going to have a hard time technically with the game. Hardest part is implementing online play

#27 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@Bulby33 said:

Not that it'll be bad or anything, but I'd just rather play this on my TV.

This is how the Vita will fail, its how the PSP went and its how this will go. People don't want scaled down ports of PS3 games, they want games made for the PSP that you can only have that kind of experience on the PSP.

#28 Posted by xyzygy (10028 posts) -

It baffles me how people consider MK to be a reason to get a system. That game has no depth.

#29 Posted by DrMcKittrick (231 posts) -

sign me up.

#30 Posted by handlas (2697 posts) -

Boon spoke to the Playstation Blog offering more details...

So apparently it will have all the content of the console games plus added content. A second challenge tower was mentioned. Also mentioned it will run at 60 FPS (with some graphical downgrades to characters/background, however).

Nice. I guess I just expect less content when a game is going from console to handheld. Nice bonus here.

#31 Posted by TechHits (1384 posts) -

Man the PSVita has alot of fighting games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.