Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

Mortal Kombat is hands down, the best one since Mk2.

• 53 results
    Noct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

Edited By Noct

Mortal Kombat (2011)
    Mortal Kombat (2011)

How great is (new) Mortal Kombat? So knock-down ,drag-out, kick you in the crotch fuck-tastic that I want to take it behind a building and get it pregnant.

So good I slept for 3 hours last night (Midnight-release)... I'm about to start holding my eyelids open with paperclips, Clockwork Orange style, my back is in screaming agony at my desk right now, and it was all worth it. If Ed Boon was standing in front of me, I'd open-lipped kiss him on the mouth. Ok, probably not, but he definitely deserves a hug.

I'm not going to give a proper review as I've only played it for about 5 hours, but I just cannot overstate how fantastic it is in every way. A couple of the characters feel a little nerfed to me (Liu Kang for one), but everything else is just perfect. It looks gorgeous, it plays outstanding, there is a metric shit-ton of content (hey look, I didn't say Kontent, oh wait, damn...), and I absolutely LOVE the story mode. I don't want to give anything away so I won't get into where it goes, but it is hands down my favorite story mode in any fighting game, ever. Retreads on some old ground, but in such a fun way; it literally brought a smile to my face multiple times.

The only negative thing I could even come up with is that I don't really care for the X-ray moves. They are cool looking the first few times, but I don't get the charge out of seeing them go off that I do an Ultimate in SF4; they just slow down the game play  and sorta annoy me. But it doesn't really hamper the game play, just kinda irks me and slows things down. Speaking of SF4, this is essentially the same exact formula that was. They have gone back to when the series was at its best (MK2), updated the graphics, crammed as much content as they possibly could into it and sent it out the door. There's no real innovations here, and that is a beautiful thing. I would have preferred a little more active involvement with the backgrounds (DOA style), but the game is just amazing.

I was feeling a little wishy-washy about it after playing the demo, and I wondered if it was going to hold my attention this time, and in case you couldn't tell, it does, in spades. I want to state a public thank you to NeatherRealm Studios, this IS the Mortal Kombat fans have been waiting for since part 2.
    Noct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Noct

Mortal Kombat (2011)
    Mortal Kombat (2011)

How great is (new) Mortal Kombat? So knock-down ,drag-out, kick you in the crotch fuck-tastic that I want to take it behind a building and get it pregnant.

So good I slept for 3 hours last night (Midnight-release)... I'm about to start holding my eyelids open with paperclips, Clockwork Orange style, my back is in screaming agony at my desk right now, and it was all worth it. If Ed Boon was standing in front of me, I'd open-lipped kiss him on the mouth. Ok, probably not, but he definitely deserves a hug.

I'm not going to give a proper review as I've only played it for about 5 hours, but I just cannot overstate how fantastic it is in every way. A couple of the characters feel a little nerfed to me (Liu Kang for one), but everything else is just perfect. It looks gorgeous, it plays outstanding, there is a metric shit-ton of content (hey look, I didn't say Kontent, oh wait, damn...), and I absolutely LOVE the story mode. I don't want to give anything away so I won't get into where it goes, but it is hands down my favorite story mode in any fighting game, ever. Retreads on some old ground, but in such a fun way; it literally brought a smile to my face multiple times.

The only negative thing I could even come up with is that I don't really care for the X-ray moves. They are cool looking the first few times, but I don't get the charge out of seeing them go off that I do an Ultimate in SF4; they just slow down the game play  and sorta annoy me. But it doesn't really hamper the game play, just kinda irks me and slows things down. Speaking of SF4, this is essentially the same exact formula that was. They have gone back to when the series was at its best (MK2), updated the graphics, crammed as much content as they possibly could into it and sent it out the door. There's no real innovations here, and that is a beautiful thing. I would have preferred a little more active involvement with the backgrounds (DOA style), but the game is just amazing.

I was feeling a little wishy-washy about it after playing the demo, and I wondered if it was going to hold my attention this time, and in case you couldn't tell, it does, in spades. I want to state a public thank you to NeatherRealm Studios, this IS the Mortal Kombat fans have been waiting for since part 2.
    Noct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Noct

Just want to leave some longer-term impressions as I spent a ridiculous amount of time playing it since this post. I want to retract my statement that it's the best one since MK2. In fact, it's the best MK ever, period.

I was a little irked that they had changed a lot of the special moves on my first play through, but once I got into the swing of things I realized why they did. The entire combo system is a "make-your-own" type of thing (like MK2), and the new controls play into that beautifully. By that I mean that rather then inputting a 16 button combination like in the past couple of 3d games, you do logical combos using your specials ala SF, or older MK games. (like, punch, punch, fireball, etc..) The changed control scheme just plays into how this works, and its the better for it.

I've unlocked most of the hidden content at this point, and typically that would be the end cycle for a fighter for me, but it's not hampering my love for this title in the least. There is just SO much damn stuff to see/do in here. I'm spending most of my time in straight up 1 player ladder matches and the challenge tower now, and I'm still having an absolute blast.

Got to spend a couple of hours playing it with a buddy over the holiday weekend, and that too was just a great, great experience. He harkens back to competively playing MK2 with me in arcades, and a lot of the fun of those old glory days came back playing this. We both agreed that the X-ray moves are off, and slow down the gameplay too much, but otherwise, it was agreed by both of us that this is simply the best MK ever.

We played quite a bit of the test your luck mode, and that was just so ridiculous and fun... I must admit though, most of our time was spent in just straight-up one vs one. The tag-matches are great and all, but almost a little too much. The action is so fast and furious in that mode, and it takes so long to play through a battle (particularly if you go 3 rounds), that you kinda feel like you've given birth by the time a match is over.

Lastly, I just cannot overstate how much I love that they placed the fataities in the menu. I wish they were at the top of the first page so you didn't have to scroll down to them every damn time, but it brings so much to the title to let anyone do fataities no matter what character they have chosen, and without having to hold a FAQ or guide in your hands.

dpedal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By dpedal1

Dude,  I completely agree, this is by far the BEST fighting game I have played.  I love the do it yourself combo system, I feel I can actually do cool stuff and with all the fighters too, not just one or two.  This is a great great great game!

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By KaosAngel

It's not as good and well made as SSFIV and MvC3.

But it's really good when not compared to other fighting games in a similar league.  MK9 is just too young to judge if it's good or not, or if it will live up to the scale.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Bestostero

It's amazing, I love Mortal Kombat, and to be frank, I think its the best Mortal Kombat so far.  Just my opinion of course.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SSully
    I agree fully. There is so much content in the game, the fighting system is as simple, or as complex as you desire, and it is just a lot of fun. I feel this will be a game I will be coming back to for a long time.
    Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Akrid

Goddammit, I guess I have to buy this now.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai
    @KaosAngel said:
    " It's not as good and well made as SSFIV and MvC3.But it's really good when not compared to other fighting games in a similar league.  MK9 is just too young to judge if it's good or not, or if it will live up to the scale. "
    You're joking, right? This is the best made fighting game in history. It has a more comprehensive list of features in both singleplayer and multiplayer than any other fighter has ever had. Those are both great games, but they don't even compare.

And it's not too young to judge if it's good. Listen to everyone else, it's fucking mind blowing.
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bestostero
    @Rolyatkcinmai said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " It's not as good and well made as SSFIV and MvC3.But it's really good when not compared to other fighting games in a similar league.  MK9 is just too young to judge if it's good or not, or if it will live up to the scale. "
    You're joking, right? This is the best made fighting game in history. It has a more comprehensive list of features in both singleplayer and multiplayer than any other fighter has ever had. Those are both great games, but they don't even compare.

And it's not too young to judge if it's good. Listen to everyone else, it's fucking mind blowing.
    "
    Yes, Single Player for MK is AMAZING, im ps3 with no multiplayer yet, but I'm having a blast doing Challenge Tower, Story Mode, Arcade, and TEST YOUR LUCK!  Hilarious, narcolepsy, upside down, armless lol
    ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By ricetopher

I would have to say UMK3 is still the best.

But this game is great, and some of the development approaches that NRS took seems like the right ways to approach the careful issue of making a fighting game have casual appeal but still deep and tournament worthy.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Rolyatkcinmai said:
    "It has a more comprehensive list of features in both singleplayer and multiplayer than any other fighter has ever had."
    Singleplayer means shit to the tournament scene, and the only reason I even touched it was due to PSN being down.  The online is not as good as SSFIV, no matter how much you try to debate that.  

EVO and other events are still looking into MK9 and not everyone has been sold.  The game is really janky compared to MvC3 and SSFIVAE, so it'll be hard to sell it to the hardcore fighting fans.  That's not opinion, but a simple fact.  

MK9 is too young to decide it's fate at the moment.
    finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By finstern

I love this game, played the originals as a kid but liked Street Fighter a whole lot more, got really into Soul Calibur 2, so much so that I even entered a tournament (lost to the host who had the exact same lineup as me Q_Q) and played lots of MK back in the PS2 days. This is by far the best fighter I have played. The story is a little frustrating, I cant stand playing Liu Kang but I'm forced to fight Shao Kahn with him and one of the first fights with a different character was a bit bullshit when you are pitted against two people and know none of the moves (supposedly).

But all in all, I would rank this fighter above all the others I have played. MvC3 is decent but I don't think there is much to the combat other than who can press buttons faster before having a seizure. SSFIV would probably be closest but I couldn't get into it.
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By shiftymagician
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Rolyatkcinmai said:
    "It has a more comprehensive list of features in both singleplayer and multiplayer than any other fighter has ever had."
    Singleplayer means shit to the tournament scene, and the only reason I even touched it was due to PSN being down.  The online is not as good as SSFIV, no matter how much you try to debate that.  EVO and other events are still looking into MK9 and not everyone has been sold.  The game is really janky compared to MvC3 and SSFIVAE, so it'll be hard to sell it to the hardcore fighting fans.  That's not opinion, but a simple fact.  MK9 is too young to decide it's fate at the moment. "
    Don't forget the tournament scene also means shit to many, many, many more people than people actually interested in the tournament scene.  The hardcore fighting audience hardly dictates what is considered a good game in general because they are already invested in the genre and have a bias towards it.  Most players in that area really only play fighting games so cannot look at other games being better than what they play with any form of objectivity.  That doesn't make them bad people, as I love to watch competitive matches from time to time as they are amazing, but they are never an ideal sample group to derive these kinds of answers from.

That isn't to say there isn't a fair argument to say that SF4 will last longer as a competitive fighter (I would place my bets on that personally), but as an actual 'game' MK9 is more likely to receive awards than MvC3 or SF4AE during the GOTY season, that I can bet on.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Your title was my first thought after one-day with the new Mortal Kombat. Several days later, I changed my story to this: "The new Mortal Kombat is the best Mortal Kombat EVER MADE!" I am in love.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

MK always brings back my favorite video game memories I wish this one would come to PC sucks that I'll probably never played it :( unless it comes to PC anyways I'm so glad they went back 2-D fighting.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BraveToaster

I enjoyed Mortal Kombat when I was 10, but eventually went on to other fighting games. I'm compelled to play MK9 after reading this.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By rjaylee
    @ShiftyMagician said:

" @KaosAngel said:

" @Rolyatkcinmai said:

Singleplayer means shit to the tournament scene, and the only reason I even touched it was due to PSN being down.  The online is not as good as SSFIV, no matter how much you try to debate that.  EVO and other events are still looking into MK9 and not everyone has been sold.  The game is really janky compared to MvC3 and SSFIVAE, so it'll be hard to sell it to the hardcore fighting fans.  That's not opinion, but a simple fact.  MK9 is too young to decide it's fate at the moment. "
    Don't forget the tournament scene also means shit to many, many, many more people than people actually interested in the tournament scene.  The hardcore fighting audience hardly dictates what is considered a good game in general because they are already invested in the genre and have a bias towards it.  Most players in that area really only play fighting games so cannot look at other games being better than what they play with any form of objectivity.  That doesn't make them bad people, as I love to watch competitive matches from time to time as they are amazing, but they are never an ideal sample group to derive these kinds of answers from.That isn't to say there isn't a fair argument to say that SF4 will last longer as a competitive fighter (I would place my bets on that personally), but as an actual 'game' MK9 is more likely to receive awards than MvC3 or SF4AE during the GOTY season, that I can bet on. "
    This is pretty much the right answer, but thanks for writing out what I didn't have to. I also have been playing a lot of MK and love it quite a bit as well, but c'mon, let's not be crazy people. Everyone in this thread is showing a their fanboy face a little too much, I think.

To be fair, while I think you may be correct on MK9 being more likely than SF4 to receive awards simply because Brad and Jeff have such a high regard for the franchise, I'm not sold that it will attain said GOTY awards, however I am certain it will receive at the least, the same kinds of runner-up nods that SF4 did when it was first released. It's obviously still very early in the year and there are many more premium titles to come throughout the year. MK9 is great, but I'm not sold that it's the best thing we're going to see this year.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ShiftyMagician said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " @Rolyatkcinmai said:
    Don't forget the tournament scene also means shit to many, many, many more people than people actually interested in the tournament scene.  The hardcore fighting audience hardly dictates what is considered a good game in general because they are already invested in the genre and have a bias towards it.  Most players in that area really only play fighting games so cannot look at other games being better than what they play with any form of objectivity.  That doesn't make them bad people, as I love to watch competitive matches from time to time as they are amazing, but they are never an ideal sample group to derive these kinds of answers from.That isn't to say there isn't a fair argument to say that SF4 will last longer as a competitive fighter (I would place my bets on that personally), but as an actual 'game' MK9 is more likely to receive awards than MvC3 or SF4AE during the GOTY season, that I can bet on. "
    Completely agree.
    TheBlackPigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By TheBlackPigeon
    @Noct:
    You said it, chief.

Regardless of how the super x-core tournament scene ends up viewing the game, it's awesome to finally have a Mortal Kombat game that FEELS like the Mortal Kombat I enjoyed as a teen. Ed Boon and Pals seriously deserve a Black Forest cake and a Companion Cube for their efforts. And that's no lie.
    ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By ptys

It's not surprising since MK2 was the most popular in the series, by far. Tekken and Virtual Fighter for console are what killed MK and Street Fighter back at the arcades, they just dated very quickly once 3D graphics become the trend in the mid-nineties. It took a while but it's back!

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MikeGosot

I think it should be called: "MK Trilogy Returns with a Shit-ton of Kontent".

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles
    @KaosAngel said:
    "

It's not as good and well made as SSFIV and MvC3.But it's really good when not compared to other fighting games in a similar league.  MK9 is just too young to judge if it's good or not, or if it will live up to the scale.

"

See why don't you just admit you lean more torwards the Japaneses style of fighter to say its not as well made as MvC or SF is an insult to Netherealm
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By xyzygy

Well what about the terrible netcode? Doesn't that fit in somewhere? Surely online is a huge part of fighting games.

I played it a bit today for the first time and while I thought the presentation of the game was awesome (the game looks and sounds very nice), I felt myself missing the feel of SF more. I just don't think I like the stiffness of MK. I played one match online and there was a somewhat noticeable lag, something that is definitely not apparent in SSF4. But this was only one match - it could have just been my luck or maybe the connection at my buddy's. But I have heard this complaint from others too.
    awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By awe_stuck
    @ptys said:
    " It's not surprising since MK2 was the most popular in the series, by far. Tekken and Virtual Fighter for console are what killed MK and Street Fighter back at the arcades, they just dated very quickly once 3D graphics become the trend in the mid-nineties. It took a while but it's back! "
    Ya, but is the fighting system in MK progressive like Virtua Fighter? The only game I find enjoyable that doesnt use a similar fighting system to VF was Marvel vs Capcom series. A lot of people dont buy Street Fighter, or MK anymore. They are pretty much becoming similar to sports games - they either sell to a minority (ufc, nhl, fifa), or they sell to a ton of people (madden for example).
    ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ptys
    Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Rolyatkcinmai said:
    MK's "fate" will not be decided by the 0.01% of users who give a shit about EVO.

Those of us that just enjoy playing great games have already noticed that this is one of the most complete packages for a high quality fighting game that has ever come out. Are the game mechanics better than SSFIV for tournament play? Probably not, but no one really gives a fuck. The game is a blast. The story mode is awesome, the arcade mode is cool, the challenge tower is crazy long, there's tons of other weird content, and the multiplayer seems pretty solid.

Your creepy need for every game to appeal to you on an almost professional level (as in it's a job) is downright irritating. Saying that MK is "janky" or "can't compare" is frankly just as ludicrous as your vaguely fetishist love-boners for Gran Turismo 5 were. I think we can all agree, you're a little bit out of your bloody mind.

Great games are great. At the end of the day I don't really give a shit if people are still playing it competitively in three years. I buy new games every week. I appreciate when one is as high quality as this one. That is all.
    awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By awe_stuck
    @ptys said:

" @awe_stuck:  I haven't had the luxury of playing it yet to be honest as I live in Aus. but from what I've seen it's got progressive juggles/combos and that sort of thing so you do it on the fly, is that what you mean? The originals didn't really have much of a fighting system as it was more about the gore and mythology IMO.

Here's an awesome Retrospective over at GameTrailers which goes over the history of the franchise. It did remind me of why I stopped playing MK at 2. "

Thanks, for the vid. I gave up on MK around MK 3. I used to play VF 2 and later
    games at the arcade quite a bit back then. VF 4 in my opinion kinda killed the
    experience of most fighting games as they seemed pointless. I mean progressive in
    the sense the fighting system is an actual system not just punch kick back punch
    forward punch. MK was original due to the fact it was fun and violently graphic
    (ie cool), it also introduced fatalities, and a couple other new concepts that at
    the time made it stand out considerably.

I was implying fighting games are becoming more for people who especially love that
    genre, as well as for some hardcore gamers (MK is like the fifa of fighting games).
    I dont care about graphics, or x-ray attacks I just want a better fighting game. I
    wont even play Street Fighter cus I find the fighting soo boring and dull. Its the
    same game I played more than 15 years ago. That is really sad btw. Most of the
    strategies that worked that far back, still do...

I like marvel vs capcom 2 cus it was a blast to play due to juggling/combos like
    you said. Still knowing you're using an actual fighting system like in VF just
    made games where you memorize moves feel stale. I didnt want to memorize moves, the
    arcades day are gone. Knowing how to do a fatality makes you cool, but mastering
    throwing a fireball is lame in my opinion. In VF a back kick is a simple move - ie
    a game that lets you do what you want makes more sense than a game that forces you
    to jump through hoops to do anything.I'm not saying the new MK sucks, cus I havent
    played it. I'm just hoping they fixed all the problems with last one they made.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kingzetta

It's the best fighting game there is.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I have been really enjoying the game so far. That is saying something because I was never a big Mortal Kombat guy.
    RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RaikohBlade
    @Rolyatkcinmai said:

" @KaosAngel said:

"
    Singleplayer?  You're judging if a fighting game is good or not based on the SINGLEPLAYER? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Any hardcore fighting game fan will tell you that the multiplayer is all that counts. And in the end, it's the hardcore players that make up the community after the scrubs get too salty to keep playing.  And by the way, since you don't know your fighting game history, Street Fighter 2 has the greatest legacy of all fighting games. A version of it is still featured at Evo, which is proof of my statement. The tournament scene decides the life of a game, not the casual audience.
    PopeAnonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PopeAnonymous

I wouldn't mind of the tournament guys from SRK don't play it for long.  That would actually make it more fun for more people.

@RaikohBlade said: And in the end, it's the hardcore players that make up the community after the scrubs get too salty to keep playing.

The scrubs get too salty to keep playing specifically because of the hardcore players.  A lack of guys with customized $200 arcade sticks who count frames and spend six hours a day watching match vids and tutorials will give the game a longer life online, not a shorter one.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai
    @RaikohBlade said:
    " @Rolyatkcinmai said:

" @KaosAngel said:

"
    Singleplayer?  You're judging if a fighting game is good or not based on the SINGLEPLAYER? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Any hardcore fighting game fan will tell you that the multiplayer is all that counts. And in the end, it's the hardcore players that make up the community after the scrubs get too salty to keep playing.  And by the way, since you don't know your fighting game history, Street Fighter 2 has the greatest legacy of all fighting games. A version of it is still featured at Evo, which is proof of my statement. The tournament scene decides the life of a game, not the casual audience. "
    Lol, no. Read the rest of the thread.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Haven't read all the responses in this thread, but I already see that some of y'all can't differentiate between different and worse

Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Floppypants

Before I crown MK as my favorite fighting game of all time, I just have to see if I keep it in my PS3.  If I'm still playing it regularly in six months, a year, two years.. then it will undoubtedly be worthy of that title.  NetherRealm needs to improve their netcode, and PSN needs to get its shit together, for MK to have that kind of longevity.

Regardless, I haven't enjoyed a fighting game as much as I currently enjoy MK9 in over a decade.  The story mode by itself justifies its asking price.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By artelinarose
    @RaikohBlade said:

" @Rolyatkcinmai said:

" @KaosAngel said:

"
    Singleplayer?  You're judging if a fighting game is good or not based on the SINGLEPLAYER? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Any hardcore fighting game fan will tell you that the multiplayer is all that counts. And in the end, it's the hardcore players that make up the community after the scrubs get too salty to keep playing.  And by the way, since you don't know your fighting game history, Street Fighter 2 has the greatest legacy of all fighting games. A version of it is still featured at Evo, which is proof of my statement. The tournament scene decides the life of a game, not the casual audience. "
    You come off as a really unlikeable, biased douchebag, which makes me not want to listen to you at all.
    quinistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By quinistheman
    @Artemesia said:
    You come off as a really unlikeable, biased douchebag, which makes me not want to listen to you at all. "
    My sentiments exactly.
    ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ShaggE
    @RaikohBlade said:
    " @Rolyatkcinmai said:

" @KaosAngel said:

"
    Aww, I thought people played games because they were fun, not because it makes them t3h hardc03rz ub3r1337... please tell us how to be as cool as you so we can keep playing games. Gee whiz, I bet the girls all swoon when you tell them about your W/L record... I sure wish I was you. :(
    Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Sayishere

I like this game, its a great pickup and play fighter

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Some of you guys need to lay off the personal attacks. You make the fighting,...no, the gaming community look unappealing and inept.

I have the most fun playing MK9 by myself than any other fighter released since and including Soul Calibur 4. I haven't played MK9 multiplayer yet.

Fun does not always equate to best. If MK9 happens to be shunned by tourney players, it won't change how fun I think it is.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#40  Edited By cornbredx

As much as I enjoy the tournament scene, I have to agree with most here.

I haven't enjoyed MK or fighting games for the better part of a decade (or longer) and even SF4 with how it updated and modernized a popular format I still wasn't really interested to get back in. Then when MK9 was announced I was intrigued but still skeptical. Then I saw the improvements and the extra content (such as the superb story mode) and I bought it.

Despite what the tournament scene thinks of the game, this game is the best fighter to come out in a long time if only because its so accessible.

It has content that everyone can enjoy. The casuals (or "scrubs" as the elite may want to call it) will enjoy the extra content, and it's accessible nature to do the moves. The tournament scene, if they really wanted to, could master the combos and their practical uses and get more out of it that way. Ya a casual could spam teleports and other specials to cheese a round but if you actually mastered a character in all its abilities there's really nothing that can beat you.

MK has always been different then SF so that's really a bad example. MK is really the opposite in a lot of ways to how SF even plays. Both are good, but both for different reasons and both require different skill/mind sets.

Both are capable of being enjoyed by the hardcore and casual as far as I can tell.
    The elitism is unnecessary; you can share your fighting games with "scrubs", its ok. It shouldn't reflect on a game because it's accessible to anyone playing it or because it plays differently then your used to.

For me it's a great nostalgic trip with so many improvements. MK9 is the best Mortal Kombat ever made- saying its the best fighter ever made maybe pushing it a little though. I don't know about that, the current generation of fighters have a few popular games and they're all popular for their own various reasons. MK9 most certainly pushes the boundaries, though, as to what is accessible to the broadest audience of most any fighting game. It's genuinely a lot of fun.

AyKay_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AyKay_47

Ever since MK 2, into which I invested myriad hours, I have tried my hand at every other fighting game series (Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, MVC), and, with the exception of SF2, none of them held my attention for more than a couple of fights. Since we're all throwing out silly opinions, I thought I'd chirp up as well. Fighting games are fucking boring. Mortal Kombat is the only series in the genre that justifies said genre's existence. The pretentious assholes in the tournament scene can lick my left nut.

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By churrific

I also think this MK is the best since MK2, simply because I had fun playing it and actually played it in back to back nights to finish off the story. I think that's where the fun comes from. It's almost like portal, where it's equal fun story and gameplay (at least for me), plus seeing all the gore for the first time. The gore/fatalities/xray moves do eventually get old after the first few times you've seen them. If it just came down to the fighting system though, I still prefer SFIV/MVC just because I believe those games are more fluid and have deeper, metagames involved. Honestly, if it was just based on the fighting system, MK vs. DC, which by all accounts is the game that has the most similar fighting system, should've gotten all the love that this MK is getting.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#43  Edited By jacksukeru

I didn't grow up with fighting games like Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat. I played a bit of Tekken 3 but never really had any idea how to be "good" at it (The first fighting game I played was probably this one, I can tell, looking back, that it was a HORRIBLE ABOMINATION!).

Anyhow, so with my close to non-existent history with either series and generally casual approach to fighing games in mind, I'd say that Mortal Kombat is probably my favorite fighting game ever (the previous top on that list was this, btw. If that tells anybody anything then I don't want to hear it).

Now the reasons I like it so much is because I can pull off all the special moves without any trouble, save maybe for johnny's nut punch, and the fact that I like playing more than maybe 2 characters. I can also have fun playing it by myself, unlike a lot of other games were I just unlock all the characters and put it away until I get an opportunity to play with friends. I'm even a bit excited to try it out online, if only for a bit (PSN's down though, also online's apparently not great, but still).

Now, about Street Fighter. I had a little more experience with that game than I had with the Mortal Kombat series (played the EX series a bit with a friend for instance, as well as one of the SF2 on an emulator with a friend cramped around a keyboard) but after getting 4 I just couldn't get into it. Played online once, got destroyed by a couple of Ryu's and Akumas. Went into the training mode to learn to preform "combos" and after failing to attain any sort of skill trying to learn a character I liked, not even consistently pulling off his Ultra, I sort of gave up on it. The fact that none of my friends were that interested in playing it with me at the time contributed too I guess.

Now here's the twist, I dug it out recently when a friend was over and approached it differently. I tried to play it like I had sometimes seen it played, more cautiously, learning the range of individual attacks etc, and it got a bit more interesting. I still sucked at it, but it made the game interesting and fun enough to play with a friend for me to consider upgrading to the AE Edition when it comes out. For someone who never bothered unlocking Gouken, Akuma and Seth, that's like 17 more characters to play with.

Anyway I don't know where I'm going with this anymore, Mortal Kombat is now my favorite fighting game, but Street Fighter 4 is still alright, just a pain to get into. I guess that's what I wanted to say. Also never play Dangerous Streets, not even for the fat guy that has a smaller fat guy inside of him.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#44  Edited By Yanngc33

Much agreed

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By phantomzxro
    @Rolyatkcinmai said:
    " @KaosAngel said:

"

Well to be fair i think there are two rules of thought in judging a fighting game value. One is the content and two is the fighting engine, i would say as far as content its is one of the best fighting games out there that offers content and feature. Blazblue was another good fighting game that offered a crazy amount of content.  Now with the fighting engine i don't think it is the best one out there and i don't know if i would say its tournament worthy. But i think it is the best Mortal kombat fighting engine out of all the other MK games.
    Noct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Noct
    @TheBlackPigeon said:
    "
                    @Noct: You said it, chief.Regardless of how the super x-core tournament scene ends up viewing the game, it's awesome to finally have a Mortal Kombat game that FEELS like the Mortal Kombat I enjoyed as a teen. Ed Boon and Pals seriously deserve a Black Forest cake and a Companion Cube for their efforts. And that's no lie.
                "

Hahah, totally agree.

@TheGreatGuero

said:

"
                    Your title was my first thought after one-day with the new Mortal Kombat. Several days later, I changed my story to this: "The new Mortal Kombat is the best Mortal Kombat EVER MADE!" I am in love.
                "

Hah, too funny, and I couldn't agree more. I think it just took a day for me to put MK2 behind me after so many years of loving it. This is better, there is no doubt.

@KaosAngel

said:

"
                    @Rolyatkcinmai said:
    Singleplayer means shit to the tournament scene, and the only reason I even touched it was due to PSN being down.  The online is not as good as SSFIV, no matter how much you try to debate that.  EVO and other events are still looking into MK9 and not everyone has been sold.  The game is really janky compared to MvC3 and SSFIVAE, so it'll be hard to sell it to the hardcore fighting fans.  That's not opinion, but a simple fact.  MK9 is too young to decide it's fate at the moment.
                "

Well, I personally couldn't give a rats ass about EVo, and neither could any of my friends (who I would wager have never even heard of it).

IMO, evo represents everything I HATE about fighitng games. I don't want to come off as a crying noob who looks for an excuse when he loses, but the majority of the champ matches I have seen there resorted to one person waiting for an opening and then unleashing some ridiculous 8-thousand hit combo that the victim could not break or recover from. That's not fun to me...

I agree that it's not ass fluid an engine as SF, but nothing ever is... I personally prefer the combo system here. 
    @ricetopher

said:

"

I would have to say UMK3 is still the best.

But this game is great, and some of the development approaches that NRS took seems like the right ways to approach the careful issue of making a fighting game have casual appeal but still deep and tournament worthy.

"

Yikes, everyone has thier opinion obviously, but the engine of Mk3 is hands down my least favorite in the series... I just hate combo systems that are based on numeric memorization... The whole reason this installment is so fantastic is that it rewards innovation and creativity. You can literally create a combo out of any special move in the game. Waiting for an opening to input your memorized sequnce of  numbers is not what I want from a fighter.
    Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Barrock

Best fighting game ever.

Noct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Noct
    @xyzygy said:
    " Well what about the terrible netcode? Doesn't that fit in somewhere? Surely online is a huge part of fighting games.

I played it a bit today for the first time and while I thought the presentation of the game was awesome (the game looks and sounds very nice), I felt myself missing the feel of SF more. I just don't think I like the stiffness of MK. I played one match online and there was a somewhat noticeable lag, something that is definitely not apparent in SSF4. But this was only one match - it could have just been my luck or maybe the connection at my buddy's. But I have heard this complaint from others too.
    "
    Yeah, I have to admit that I haven't even tried to play this game online (local MP for me all the way), but I have heard some bad things, so I guess in this day and age that should count for something. Personally, I believe fighting games are best played with people in the room, but I know that's not the age we live in now.

@Rolyatkcinmai said:
    " MK's "fate" will not be decided by the 0.01% of users who give a shit about EVO.

Those of us that just enjoy playing great games have already noticed that this is one of the most complete packages for a high quality fighting game that has ever come out. Are the game mechanics better than SSFIV for tournament play? Probably not, but no one really gives a fuck. The game is a blast. The story mode is awesome, the arcade mode is cool, the challenge tower is crazy long, there's tons of other weird content, and the multiplayer seems pretty solid.

Your creepy need for every game to appeal to you on an almost professional level (as in it's a job) is downright irritating. Saying that MK is "janky" or "can't compare" is frankly just as ludicrous as your vaguely fetishist love-boners for Gran Turismo 5 were. I think we can all agree, you're a little bit out of your bloody mind.

Great games are great. At the end of the day I don't really give a shit if people are still playing it competitively in three years. I buy new games every week. I appreciate when one is as high quality as this one. That is all.
    "
     I don't know this dudes past/preferences (and you seem a little caustic to me there), but I agree with your sentiment. I don't find it to be janky in the least, and I really couldn't care less if its represented at EVO or not. It's not like there's never been a good fighting game that they didn't embrace.
    Noct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Noct

Oh, and btw guys, guess what's listed in the 2011 EVO lineup...

Mortal Kombat (9) PS3.

Not that I really care mind you, but just to point out to the people saying it's not a competent enough fighter to be played there.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#50  Edited By Chummy8

This is the Definitive Mortal Kombat experience.  It has all the stuff that makes Mortal Kombat great while removing all of the crap that bogged it down in the past. 

There's my two sentence review of the game. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.