Mortal Kombat Vita Graphics

• 97 results
#1 Edited by FmeDry69 (58 posts) -

The graphics are awful. It looks like a ps2/psp era game. All my 3DS fighting games look better(SSF4 3D, DOA Dimensions, Tekken 3D) and run at 60 FPS as well. Games like Uncharted:Golden Abyss look better than the first Uncharted and Virtua Tennis 4, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, and Street Fighter x Tekken look identical to the console counterparts unless doing comparisons, but even then they look significantly better than any ps2/psp game. Hell, I would say Virtua Tennis 4 and the main Golden Abyss characters have better looking character models than even Mortal Kombat on consoles. Kratos even looks better in his psp games than he does here

What is the excuse for such poor graphics in this version. Now, before anyone flames me, keep in mind that I am not saying the game sucks. It's fantastic overall, but the visuals could have been so much better. It looks like such a lazy port.

#2 Posted by Marino (4579 posts) -

The character models aren't as detailed as a means to keep the game running at 60fps. I admit, it was a little jarring at first, but after playing for a bit, it doesn't bother me at all. The rest of the game still looks great, and the amount of content is absurdly good.

Staff Online
#3 Posted by FmeDry69 (58 posts) -

@Marino: UMvC 3 and Street Fighter x Tekken run 60 fps. They look much better

#4 Posted by JBG4 (385 posts) -

I am a huge fan of the amount of content available on a handheld game. The visuals, while not as good as the console version, are perfectly serviceable. I agree with @Marino: The game moves at 60 FPS the whole way and is packed with extras.

#5 Posted by FmeDry69 (58 posts) -

@Marino: I also meant to say golden abyss and virtua tennis 4 have better models than even the console versions of MK

#6 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

Totally cool with it. I prefer the consistent 60FPS over shiny graphics. I think 30FPS really hurt wipeout for instance.

#7 Posted by FmeDry69 (58 posts) -

@JBG4: UMvC 3 and SFxT are 60 fps and so is BlazBlue and it is packed with content as well. Don't give me the hand-drawn excuse because it uses 3D backgrounds

#8 Edited by FmeDry69 (58 posts) -

@Jimi said:

Totally cool with it. I prefer the consistent 60FPS over shiny graphics. I think 30FPS really hurt wipeout for instance.

I'm not saying I want that. Look at my other replies. They likely could have done 60 fps with better visuals like the other games I mentioned

#9 Edited by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@FmeDry69 said:

@JBG4: UMvC 3 and SFxT are 60 fps and so is BlazBlue and it is packed with content as well. Don't give me the hand-drawn excuse because it uses 3D backgrounds

You have got a point but it is going to be lost on everyone if you don't simmer down.

#10 Posted by RE_Player1 (7545 posts) -

As long as they keep the 60 FPS I don't care. All the characters and costumes, story mode, 2 challenge towers and new mini games not to mention great online play for $40 and this is the best portable fighting game on Vita in my opinion.

#11 Posted by Artigkar (189 posts) -

@FmeDry69: Perhaps the engine that the capcom fighters on Vita are using is better suited for the hardware than whatever the MK vita port is using? I personally don't know much about the difference in tech between the games.

#12 Posted by JBG4 (385 posts) -

@FmeDry69: I agree with you and I didn't say anything in regards to making an excuse for why the graphics may not look as good as some of the other games that you mentioned. I was simply stating that I have no problems with the graphics being as they are because I, personally, am enjoying the other aspects of the game. I am not, and was not attempting to give you any excuse. I enjoy Mortal Kombat, I am having a great time with BlazBlue, and SFxT isn't even out on the Vita yet so no one knows how it will turn out in the end so wait until you play it before making assumptions regarding its quality.

#13 Posted by FmeDry69 (58 posts) -

@JBG4 said:

@FmeDry69: I agree with you and I didn't say anything in regards to making an excuse for why the graphics may not look as good as some of the other games that you mentioned. I was simply stating that I have no problems with the graphics being as they are because I, personally, am enjoying the other aspects of the game. I am not, and was not attempting to give you any excuse. I enjoy Mortal Kombat, I am having a great time with BlazBlue, and SFxT isn't even out on the Vita yet so no one knows how it will turn out in the end so wait until you play it before making assumptions regarding its quality.

Looking at videos and screenshots, SFxT looks great and Capcom stated it will be 60 fps. They will never release a fighting game nowadays that isn't 60 fps

#14 Posted by hughesman (312 posts) -

These games have very different engines so im guess the port-ability (no pun intended) is quite different. I think the next round of vita games will be very telling as far visuals go since the hardware has been finalized prior to the start of the development.

#15 Posted by FmeDry69 (58 posts) -

@TentPole said:

@FmeDry69 said:

You have got a point but it is going to be lost on everyone if you don't simmer down.

I'm just upset and annoyed because the game deserved more in the visual department and could have gotten more.It's like releasing a ps3 game that looks like the original God of War and being content that it runs fine, though the hardware is capable of a much better looking game at smooth framerates

#16 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

The graphics are fantastic, they look exactly like the ps3 graphics WHILE PLAYING, of course when they zoom up the textures are blurry, it's a damn portable game, the only visuals that matter are while you are fighting, since its a fighting game.

#17 Posted by JBG4 (385 posts) -

@FmeDry69: Looking at videos and screenshots can only tell you half of the story man. When the game releases and we have it in our hands then we will know if the graphics are crisp, the framerate is steady, and the content it there. I hope it turns out great, I really like the console version and would love to have the equivalent in handheld form but as with every game I will take a wait and see approach.

@msavo: I am having a great time with Mortal Kombat on the Vita but as of right now BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend is still my favorite fighting game on the platform. I can definitely see how you would say MK though.

#18 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@Artigkar: It also has to do with the capcom games being more cell shaded rather than detailed textures, of course it's easier to port flat textures compared to mutiple layered textures that is in MK. Also people need to remember UMVC3 sacrificed background elements for character models, MK sacrificed character models for full backgrounds that are animated and rendered just like console versions.

#19 Edited by FmeDry69 (58 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver: You must have bad eye sight. I can still see the awful texturing and low polygon counts while fighting. If you really think it looks EXACTLY like the console versions while fighting, you are sadly delusional

#20 Posted by johncallahan (542 posts) -

Yeah doesn't bug me too much. During cutscenes or the beginning of fights the character models look a bit rough, but once you start playing it looks just fine almost to the point where I can't tell the difference. As far as stacking it up against UMvC3, one difference is MK kept their backgrounds animated while MvC has static backgrounds, that's probably a big reason.

#21 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@FmeDry69 said:

@BestUsernameEver: You must have bad eye sight. I can still see the awful texturing and low polygon counts while fighting

You're just trolling now, I have been playing the vita version since it came out and the visuals are absolutely in line with the PS3 one in motion, you must be paying way too much attention instead of just playing the game.

#22 Posted by FmeDry69 (58 posts) -

@jonny126 said:

Yeah doesn't bug me too much. During cutscenes or the beginning of fights the character models look a bit rough, but once you start playing it looks just fine almost to the point where I can't tell the difference. As far as stacking it up against UMvC3, one difference is MK kept their backgrounds animated while MvC has static backgrounds, that's probably a big reason.

Not all of UMvC3's backgrounds are static.

#23 Posted by FmeDry69 (58 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver said:

@FmeDry69 said:

@BestUsernameEver: You must have bad eye sight. I can still see the awful texturing and low polygon counts while fighting

You're just trolling now, I have been playing the vita version since it came out and the visuals are absolutely in line with the PS3 one in motion, you must be paying way too much attention instead of just playing the game.

Don't know what makes you say I'm trolling. I'm playing the game right now and it looks crap. It's that simple.

#24 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@FmeDry69: Ok buddy.

#25 Posted by FmeDry69 (58 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver said:

I'm being serious.

#26 Posted by johncallahan (542 posts) -

@FmeDry69: Yeah they are. I've played it quite a bit and unless I'm missing something blatantly obvious they are all static.

#27 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@jonny126: You are right, OP is trolling.

#28 Posted by FmeDry69 (58 posts) -

@jonny126 said:

@FmeDry69: Yeah they are. I've played it quite a bit and unless I'm missing something blatantly obvious they are all static.

I haven't played the game in a while, but I know for a fact there was fireworks going off in one of the stages, and forgot the other stages. I haven't played it in quite some time. 100% static stages would be SSF4 3D Edition

#29 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@FmeDry69 said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

I'm being serious.

If you are, I am sorry, because it really is on par of the previous versions, and especially looks great because it's 60 frames on an OLED screen, vibrant, fast and crisp, but you honestly think it looks like crap, oh well then, guess you'll just have to settle with great gameplay and extra content.

#30 Posted by JBG4 (385 posts) -

@FmeDry69: You seem to be the only person who is so angry regarding this issue. If you have a point to make it would be best to make it in a respectable manner. If others don't have an issue with it then you need to respect their opinions. You are going about making your point in the absolute wrong way. I see that the graphics may not be as good as its console counterpart, but, it is a full fledged console game on a handheld.

#31 Edited by FmeDry69 (58 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver said:

@jonny126: You are right, OP is trolling.

I'm not fucking trolling. Add me on psn so we can talk and hear my tone of voice. "Darkwatchman".

I even have another friend that agrees that agrees with me about this game looking awful

#32 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@FmeDry69: ok then, PSNid: S1191B

#33 Posted by JBG4 (385 posts) -

UMVC3 has static backgrounds, btw.

#34 Posted by johncallahan (542 posts) -

@FmeDry69: That's cool, I have a bunch of friends who agree that this game looks pretty great. If the graphics bug you that much then don't play it. Simple as that.

#35 Posted by DystopiaX (5291 posts) -

Is this an inappropriate time to say that I'm grabbing popcorn right now?

Do tell us how your PSN chat works out.

#36 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Internet throwdown!

On-topic: From what I've seen of the game I think it looks good, as good as the console versions? nah, but good nonetheless.

#37 Posted by FmeDry69 (58 posts) -

@JBG4 said:

@FmeDry69: You seem to be the only person who is so angry regarding this issue. If you have a point to make it would be best to make it in a respectable manner. If others don't have an issue with it then you need to respect their opinions. You are going about making your point in the absolute wrong way. I see that the graphics may not be as good as its console counterpart, but, it is a full fledged console game on a handheld.

But that's the thing. I am upset because there are other full fledged console ports that look identical and in Golden Abyss' case(an original game), looks better than the first entry in the Uncharted series. I have no problem with respecting other people's opinions on the graphics, but it is a straight out lie that MK on Vita looks EXACTLY the same as its console counterparts while fighting. It's also disheartening that Kratos' psp models look better than his here.

#38 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@FmeDry69 said:

@JBG4 said:

But that's the thing. I am upset because there are other full fledged console ports that look identical and in Golden Abyss' case(an original game), looks better than the first entry in the Uncharted series. I have no problem with respecting other people's opinions on the graphics, but it is a straight out lie that MK on Vita looks EXACTLY the same as its console counterparts while fighting. It's also disheartening that Kratos' psp models look better than his here.

Im going to stop you right there and say Uncharted 1 looks way better than GA.

#39 Posted by RE_Player1 (7545 posts) -
@JBG4 Is BlazBlue on Vita a good place to jump into for the series? I've never played a BlazBlue game but I've always been interested.
#40 Posted by FmeDry69 (58 posts) -

@jonny126 said:

@FmeDry69: That's cool, I have a bunch of friends who agree that this game looks pretty great. If the graphics bug you that much then don't play it. Simple as that.

You clearly did not read my post. I said it's a fantastic game and my only real issue is the graphics.

#41 Posted by JBG4 (385 posts) -

@FmeDry69: Again, I never said it looks the same as its console counterpart. As a matter of fact I am in agreement that it may not look as good. You still have to realize you are playing a full-fledged console port (with extras) on a handheld and in my opinion for that fact it looks pretty damn good. I myself am looking forward to SFxT immensely but I have no clue how that will look as a finished product, I know they will have to make some changes with certain things to compress the game to the Vita's resolution, that is a sacrifice that has to be made for handheld systems.

#42 Posted by JBG4 (385 posts) -

@msavo: Do you have a PS3?

#43 Posted by FmeDry69 (58 posts) -

@msavo said:

@JBG4 Is BlazBlue on Vita a good place to jump into for the series? I've never played a BlazBlue game but I've always been interested.

It was my first one also. It's an excellent game, but extremely nuanced and complex. It's the most difficult fighter out there. I was overwhelmed, but I prefer skillful fighting games

#44 Posted by JasonR86 (9587 posts) -

I just looked at some PS3 screenshots and compared them to the PS Vita version. The PS3 is clearly better looking but the PS Vita is comparable. Plus the Vita version is on a smaller screen and it runs in 60 fps which would make it look even better. I'm not sure what the OP was expecting but I would be happy with this port's graphics.

#45 Edited by FmeDry69 (58 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver said:

@FmeDry69 said:

@JBG4 said:

Golden Abyss runs at a lower resolution, but things like character models and certain textures do look better than Uncharted 1. It only appears worse to you because Golden Abyss doesn't utilize the Vita's full resolution. It runs at 720x408 instead of 960x544, so it looks blurrier and more jagged, but in terms of poly counts, bump mapping, shaders, and textures, Golden Abyss bests Uncharted 1 in most of these respects

#46 Posted by johncallahan (542 posts) -

@FmeDry69: No I totally did, but obviously the graphics were distracting/upsetting enough to come and make a whole thread about it. You seem to be in the minority of people who have a problem with it, so if you think they're that bad, then just play the console version.

#47 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@FmeDry69 said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@FmeDry69 said:

@JBG4 said:

Golden Abyss runs at a lower resolution, but things like character models and certain textures do look better than Uncharted 1

#48 Posted by JBG4 (385 posts) -

@FmeDry69: Exactly, it is running at a lower resolution. Meaning it had to sacrifice certain things for the Vita, the same is said of MK.

If you do have a PS3 I would reccommend jumping into BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger first, it explains some of the systems better than other games in the series, that in a way, assume that you already know certain things. you can pick it up fairly cheap on Amazon now. However, the BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend for Vita isn't priced very much higher than Calamity Trigger and is a perfectly serviceable entry point into the series. I love the games, they are difficult but extremely rewarding.

#49 Posted by FmeDry69 (58 posts) -

@jonny126 said:

@FmeDry69: No I totally did, but obviously the graphics were distracting/upsetting enough to come and make a whole thread about it. You seem to be in the minority of people who have a problem with it, so if you think they're that bad, then just play the console version.

That's like somebody not being upset with a new ps3 game or a 360 port looking like an above average PS2 game. Does it ruin the game? Obviously not, but the graphics are one of the several components that make up a whole product. It's not like how I say Resistance(the first one) has bad graphics. Sure they're bad, but they look much better than anything last gen consoles were capable of. Just like Vita is much more capable than the last gen graphics of Mortal Kombat

#50 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@JBG4: yeah he blew it when he mentioned Uncharted, completely debunked everything he was saying about MK.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.