Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

My 'experience' with MK's online play.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BestUsernameEver

I hope this image lays it out pretty well, this is just a fraction of the screenshots I bothered to take, between people just straight up leaving because I didn't say anything when they asked "You on the mic?", sometimes I don't want to talk to every stranger I fight with, and yes I know, there is a mic disable option, but I don't mind just leaving it on to say good game or whatever. Also, getting severe lag, or dropping games is almost more common than getting a fast, lag free match. I have no idea how Netherealm avoided fixing their netcode (or whatever plagues MK's connection.) If I were to pick the biggest criticism of last years MK9, it'd be the online problems, easily. And somehow the vita version, a port they had a better part of a year to nail down, still has these issues, it's crazy. So here's the image of my past couple months playing the vita version of Mortal Kombat...

No Caption Provided

What's your experience with MK's online, is this not a problem for you? Also, how often do people just leave a fight for no reason?

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Akyho

I was thinking you may be a bit harsh...the screenshot 1...2....3....4....5....6..7..8..9..10.......11.........12?!

So yeah..justified.

I havnt played in months. Since the DLC desyncs stopped game play dead. Except your experience there looks exactly like 90% of online fighting games. People are just rage quitting pussy's.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Akyho: On top of that, these are only a fraction of the ones I took, and that was after it was so common I thought I should document all of them. In a week or so I might publish a huge grid of all the screenshots and send it to Netherealm.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Akyho

@BestUsernameEver said:

@Akyho: On top of that, these are only a fraction of the ones I took, and that was after it was so common I thought I should document all of them. In a week or so I might publish a huge grid of all the screenshots and send it to Netherealm.

Publish the name's as-well, name and shame them,

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Akyho said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

Publish the name's as-well, name and shame them.

Damn good idea.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Akyho

@BestUsernameEver said:

@Akyho said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

Publish the name's as-well, name and shame them.

Damn good idea.

well the ones that left. Some game sessions no longer available. Could be them pulling their net plug or other legit reasons. Some people do that to "protect" their precious win lose ratios. I knew one guy that would create a whole new Gamer tag just to keep his 100% K/D using such tricks. It was ugly.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By huntad

That sucks ass. I experienced the same thing. It's a real shame since it's a pretty great game.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Hailinel

It sounds like Mortal Kombat's netcode was just shoddy to begin with. I know people blamed a lot of the problems the console versions had on DLC compatibility issues, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was just one symptom of the online infrastructure being terrible.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Mcfart

vita's online is fine.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Hailinel said:

It sounds like Mortal Kombat's netcode was just shoddy to begin with. I know people blamed a lot of the problems the console versions had on DLC compatibility issues, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was just one symptom of the online infrastructure being terrible.

Sadly I think they have no intentions of fixing it by now. Then again, a lot of fighting games in general have problems online, so it's not so bizarre that this game has issues.

DjCmeP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By DjCmeP

I'm playing on PS3 and I've never had this happen.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@DjCmeP said:

I'm playing on PS3 and I've never had this happen.

I've played in many locations and every place this seems to happen, so I can't say it's just my wifi connection. Very strange that people here aren't experiencing it.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By daiphyer

My online experience was, I got into my first online match, I beat the guy, and I felt pretty good about myself.

So with that ego boost, I got into a party/fight room/whatever they call it, and I got a round off someone who was quite highly ranked. He and his friends started cursing me out for "Sit-blocking" and called me names such as "Sit-Block-Suck" "Fucking Faggot"

I got offline and wanted to never play fighting games online ever again.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Daiphyer said:

My online experience was, I got into my first online match, I beat the guy, and I felt pretty good about myself.

So with that ego boost, I got into a party/fight room/whatever they call it, and I got a round off someone who was quite highly ranked. He and his friends started cursing me out for "Sit-blocking" and called me names such as "Sit-Block-Suck" "Fucking Faggot"

I got offline and wanted to never play fighting games online ever again.

Sounds eeriely similar to one of my experiences, only I am dumb enough to continue playing online.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By falserelic

The MK community got on my nerves. I got fed up with the players in that game.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

I'll just leave this here.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By laserbolts

I stopped playing MK on the 360 because of the immature shit crowd that played online. I do really well in most competitive games I play but MK resulted in way more hate messages than the others. Fuck that community and rage quitters.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Happens to me every once in a while, but nothing like that.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@laserbolts said:

I stopped playing MK on the 360 because of the immature shit crowd that played online. I do really well in most competitive games I play but MK resulted in way more hate messages than the others. Fuck that community and rage quitters.

Thank god no one used mics on the PS3 version, sadly everyone uses it for vita. If it were like 360 though, I'd stop playing too, nothing like constant "You only know one combo bro, I'd beat your ass if you didn't sit block all day." Ugh.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By soldierg654342

MK's online is very bad. I'll be playing people from TYM and our connection will be (as) great (as it can be with the shitty netcode) and then the game will suddenly just drop and we won't be able to reconnect. I don't get too much hate mail or too many rage quitters though. Apparently people are okay with losing to Sektor.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@BestUsernameEver: Yup. That image pretty much nails it.

Between the dropped connections, the server issues, and the general lag inherent to the online play, I could never find a happy medium with Mortal Kombat online, despite loving that game in general.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#22  Edited By beargirl1

@Bobby_The_Great: that is the best thing

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.