Official Live Streams Thread

#1 Edited by FLStyle (4648 posts) -

Mortal Kombat Streams

Team Spooky

iplaywinner

Level Up

Offcast

NOTE - The tournaments that are streamed may not necessarily feature MK, but they more than likely will.

Major events results

EVO 2012

PlacePlayerAliasCharacter(s)
1st Carl WhiteEMP KN Perfect LegendKung Lao
2nd Emmanuel BritovVv NOS CD Jr.Kabal, Rain, Jax
3rd Brantley McCaskillPig of the HutKenshi, Mileena
4th Malik TerryIGL MITJohnny Cage, Reptile, Scorpion, Stryker
5th Christian QuilesCoCo 4EverKingSonya, Kung Lao, Kenshi
5th Justin EscobarEGP XBladesLiu Kang
7th Elijah WilliamsonEGP TyrantJax
7th Mario SakoCoCo M2DaveFreddy Krueger

EVO 2011

PlacePlayerAliasCharacter(s)
1st Carl WhiteEMP Perfect LegendKung Lao
2nd Joseph GrossovVv REOMileena, Cyrax
3rd Eric AkinsJOPJohnny Cage, Raiden
4th Christopher GonzalezNYChris GReptile
5th Denzell TerryDenzell TerryLiu Kang
5th Steve Brownback16 BitKitana
7th Pirrelli TrumerATL ReddLiu Kang
7th Anthony VillanuevaOnlineTony213Kabal
#2 Edited by FLStyle (4648 posts) -

Giant Bomb - Thursday Night Throwdown - Mortal Kombat
21st April 2011 (TOMORROW) - 4PM PST (Midnight GMT)

Do not add GBTNT to your friend's list, you must instead join GB's lobby when the show begins, the lobby may be open before the show starts.
giantbomb.com/chat

#3 Posted by kalakov (85 posts) -

Is the MK fight stick really that good ?

#4 Posted by GeneralZod37 (260 posts) -

What if I would just care to spectate?

#5 Posted by FLStyle (4648 posts) -
#6 Posted by FLStyle (4648 posts) -

Spooky has just confirmed he'll be streaming MK and Marvel vs Capcom 3 tournaments on Sunday. Check the above link.

#7 Posted by bretthancock (778 posts) -
@kalakov:  Slow day at work so I spent the last 2 hours trying to answer that question by browsing the Sho forums.  Sounds like the stick is pretty good, easy to mod, but the joystick/buttons might be a little on the cheap side.  It's big though and as easy to mod as the MadCatz sticks.  Biggest issue is the niche layout, if you plan on playing a shit load of Mortal Kombat, 130 bucks isn't that bad for a quality stick.
#8 Posted by FLStyle (4648 posts) -
#9 Posted by Bestostero (2758 posts) -

Looking forward to watching tournament level play!

#10 Posted by JJOR64 (18939 posts) -

Didn't see this made for MK board yet so I thought I would go ahead a make it.

Later today Team Spooky is going to stream an MK9 and MvC3 tourney at Next Level.  Sabin will be there and some other top New York players as well I bet.  Stream can be found HERE.

#11 Posted by FLStyle (4648 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
"

Didn't see this made for MK board yet so I thought I would go ahead a make it.

Later today Team Spooky is going to stream an MK9 and MvC3 tourney at Next Level.  Sabin will be there and some other top New York players as well I bet.  Stream can be found HERE.

"
Stream has begun, GLHB (& MK).
#12 Posted by JJOR64 (18939 posts) -
@FLStyle:   Crap.  Better get in the shower before the tourney starts.
#13 Posted by KoolAid (890 posts) -

I've been a pretty big starcraft fan, but I haven't followed any fighting games.  I'm planning on changing that for mortal kombat.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Know good sites for streams and/or strategy? 

#14 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

its mvc3 atm

#15 Posted by FLStyle (4648 posts) -
@KoolAid said:

" I've been a pretty big starcraft fan, but I haven't followed any fighting games.  I'm planning on changing that for mortal kombat.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Know good sites for streams and/or strategy?  "

http://www.justin.tv/teamsp00ky for streams
testyourmight.com for strategy
#16 Posted by Hardgamer (610 posts) -
@FLStyle said:
" @KoolAid said:

" I've been a pretty big starcraft fan, but I haven't followed any fighting games.  I'm planning on changing that for mortal kombat.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Know good sites for streams and/or strategy?  "

http://www.justin.tv/teamsp00ky for streams
testyourmight.com for strategy "
Man I love that Justin.tv channel.
#17 Edited by thegoldencat7 (1496 posts) -

After watching streams with really good commentators like James Chen, UltraDavid etc, these two are just annoying.

Edit: Actually nevermind, Chris Hu is there. All is well.

Edit: That streams down so I'm watching Alex Valle play MK on the Peacful Jay stream (http://www.justin.tv/peacefuljay#/w/1122886304) His avatar has a little wifebeater on. Genius.    

#18 Posted by FLStyle (4648 posts) -

MK is up!

#19 Posted by JJOR64 (18939 posts) -

YOGA..........GET OVER HERE!

#20 Posted by JJOR64 (18939 posts) -

People getting blown up on the button layout screen.

#21 Edited by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

the button checks are longer than the matches. 
they should make pre-sets Mandatory 

#22 Posted by VicRattlehead (1398 posts) -

MK button checks are lolz

#23 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@thegoldencat7 said:
"

After watching streams with really good commentators like James Chen, UltraDavid etc, these two are just annoying.

Edit: Actually nevermind, Chris Hu is there. All is well.

Edit: That streams down so I'm watching Alex Valle play on Peacful Jay (http://www.justin.tv/peacefuljay#/w/1122886304) His avatar has a little wifebeater on. Genius.    

"
Peaceful Jay is still going? Jesus, i just  assumed when the stream was down and nothing was on srk's stream schedule for a while that he was done with it.

#24 Posted by JJOR64 (18939 posts) -
@Jack268:   Peacefuljay is a 24/7 stream.
#25 Edited by thegoldencat7 (1496 posts) -

I would have disqualified these assholes by now. 10mins button-check by christ.

@Jack268: I didn't watch it but I know PJS Latif got like a 110 win streak on it a couple of days ago.

#26 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" @Jack268:   Peacefuljay is a 24/7 stream. "
I know, but at one point it was down for a few days and wasn't posted on the SRK stream schedule so I just thought it was gone.
#27 Posted by JJOR64 (18939 posts) -

I'm glad the Japanese think the netcode in this game is ass as well.  I'm not the only one.

#28 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -
@JJOR64: yea getting into a match was rough but joining lobbys was not a problem

also 30 min button check for the guy to get washed
#29 Posted by VicRattlehead (1398 posts) -

man to think people complained about button checks in street fighter 4

#30 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

These announcers suck ass.

Also WHY THE FUCK ARENT THESE IDIOTS BLOCKING?!

#31 Posted by JJOR64 (18939 posts) -
@VicRattlehead said:
" man to think people complained about button checks in street fighter 4 "
I know.  God, EVO is going to be terrible for that.  Hopefully they can patch it in before EVO.
#32 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3043 posts) -

I couldn't watch that any longer.  How hard is it to use the default controls?

#33 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Make_Me_Mad said:
" I couldn't watch that any longer.  How hard is it to use the default controls? "
WHo the fuck plays MK9 with a fucking SQUARE GATE STICK?!  This ain't no Japanese game, use the fucking circle gate sticks or stick with the pad.  Everyone has been saying this game is made for pad or circle gate.
#34 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -
@Make_Me_Mad: it seems a lot of the players are using stick. MK seems more suited for a pad
#35 Posted by JJOR64 (18939 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @Make_Me_Mad said:
" I couldn't watch that any longer.  How hard is it to use the default controls? "
WHo the fuck plays MK9 with a fucking SQUARE GATE STICK?!  This ain't no Japanese game, use the fucking circle gate sticks or stick with the pad.  Everyone has been saying this game is made for pad or circle gate. "
People already have the TE stick and most of them probably don't want to mod their stick for one game.
#36 Posted by Bestostero (2758 posts) -

I'm watching teamsp00ky and the announcers do suck...going back to Namja stream.

#37 Posted by JJOR64 (18939 posts) -
@xhavoc86 said:
" I'm watching teamsp00ky and the announcers do suck...going back to Namja stream. "
Chris Hu does know his Street Fighter, but not his MK.
#38 Posted by FLStyle (4648 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" @xhavoc86 said:
" I'm watching teamsp00ky and the announcers do suck...going back to Namja stream. "
Chris Hu does know his Street Fighter, but not his MK. "
True words!

This first tourny is pretty crazy with everyone trying to figure up match-ups and dropping combos. that last Raiden vs Noob match was good stuff though.
#39 Posted by JJOR64 (18939 posts) -

Damn.  Now I see why people consider Kung Lao mad good.

#40 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

YO SPOOKY ON THE MIK.

#41 Posted by JJOR64 (18939 posts) -
@ThePhantomnaut said:
" YO SPOOKY ON THE MIK. "
WORD
#42 Posted by JJOR64 (18939 posts) -

Every time I hear AE in the background, I get mad sad.  I want AE now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#43 Posted by VicRattlehead (1398 posts) -
@JJOR64: yeh dude this MK aint doing nothing for me.... :'(
#44 Posted by Bestostero (2758 posts) -

Is there a rule against Fatalities on the teamsp00ky stream? lol

#45 Posted by FLStyle (4648 posts) -

I'm liking MK, players need to feel it out, block and throw more and manage that meter.

LI Joe has got skills. Should be interesting to see how these players use the official sticks in the Vegas tourny. MK EVO is looking fun.

#46 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -
@xhavoc86: its like jeff said on the bombcast, they want things to run faster. doing fatalities just makes things longer
#47 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

So I've been watching a bit of this spooky livestream. They've been using some fighting game terminology, and although I'm not much of a fighting game player, I managed to pick up most of it. There is just one I don't get. What does "confirmation" mean in this context?

#48 Posted by ricetopher (1046 posts) -

That dude talking shit on the house mic is fucking hilarious.

@Slaker117 said:

" So I've been watching a bit of this spooky livestream. They've been using some fighting game terminology, and although I'm not much of a fighting game player, I managed to pick up most of it. There is just one I don't get. What does "confirmation" mean in this context? "
Basically your using normals to confirm whether or not you hit the opponent, and if so you continue the combo. If its blocked you stopped the combo and are safe.

GB mod LordOfUltima did a good brief video of this concept (though in SSF4)

  

#49 Edited by FLStyle (4648 posts) -
@Slaker117 said:

" So I've been watching a bit of this spooky livestream. They've been using some fighting game terminology, and although I'm not much of a fighting game player, I managed to pick up most of it. There is just one I don't get. What does "confirmation" mean in this context? "

  EDIT: ricetopher beat me to it, with a Loltima video of all things.
#50 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -
@ricetopher: @FLStyle: Thanks guys.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.