Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

Planned on Beating Ladder Matches with All Characters But...

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Spoonman671

...fuck that.  I enjoy all the matches up until Kintaro and Shao Kahn.  Figuring out the best way to cheese the bosses was satisfying the first couple times, but now it's just tedious.  Haven't I earned my damn stripes yet after beating the story and completing the ladder matches for three or four characters?  Do I really need to deal with these fuckers to see every character's ending?  Does anybody find this aspect of the game fun?  Do I just need to play through the rest of the characters on beginner difficulty and kill all the enjoyment I get out of regular fights?

Venting complete.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Chop

I'm right there with you. Having three goddamn bosses at the end of the ladder is just fucking stupid. I find myself just playing up to fight seven and quitting; the bosses have no fun value at all. 

The_Patriarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By The_Patriarch

Totally agree. I enjoy the ladder, playing with new characters and so on, and don't even mind Kintaro/Goro that much... usually... But even if I cheese Kahn with all projectiles, it will still often take me about 5-7 times to beat him, and Ive never beat him earlier than a fourth try. I dont find the match fun in any way, and it just kills my enthusiasm for doing it with all the characters. I'll probably do it with my favorite 10 people or so, and watch the rest of the endings on Youtube. Ive seen 4 or 5 endings so far, and found them pretty lame except for one.

Im even pretty sure Kitanas ending is taken directly from Armageddon, maybe not as her ending, but I definitely remember something very similar happening in an MKA ending. If the endings continue to underwhelm me, Im definitely giving up on beating the ladder with all characters.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Sitoxity

I only really hate Shao Kahn, Kintaro and Goro I don't find as cheap and honestly have a lot of fun fighting them. It's a lot more interesting finding ways to combo them up, whereas Shao Kahn comes down to abusing one thing he doesn't seem to like (like Kratos' arrows or Raidens teleport)

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Spoonman671
    @Chop said:
    " I'm right there with you. Having three goddamn bosses at the end of the ladder is just fucking stupid. I find myself just playing up to fight seven and quitting; the bosses have no fun value at all.  "
    I wasn't including Shang Tsung because at least he follows clear and consistent rules when it comes to reacting to getting hit, but he is still a pain in the ass.
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RE_Player1

The only people I have ever had a problem with playing ladder were the robot ninjas. Every other character I can get a good feel for but those robots just aren't my style and by the time I reach even Shang Tsung I quit. 

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ares42

Sigh, feel like a broken record at this point, but you seriously do not need to cheese them. I've beaten Shao Kahn with several characters using a completely "legitimate" strategy, and I am not by any means good or experienced with fighting games. All you need to do is stand still, block and punish when he does certain attacks (the high shoulder, kick, double punch and the rising hammer iirc). Just today I spent like 10-15 mins in training with Baraka (who I had never played outside the forced sections in story/tower). Learned a 3 input combo that dealt 17-23% damage(depending on if I cut the middle hit or not), and then killed Shao Kahn on medium in like 5 attempts. You just need to realize that because he has armor on almost every attack you can't be the one that takes the initiative. I've actually not tried just blocking on Goro and Kintaro (might be problematic with their grabs), but they are highly vulnerable to cross-over jumps. So you can just do cross-over jumping punch into the same combo, and it's all good.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Spoonman671
    @RE_Player92 said:
    " The only people I have ever had a problem with playing ladder was the robot ninjas. Every other character I can get a good feel for but those robots just aren't my style and by the time I reach even Shang Tsung I quit.  "
    Shang Tsung almost always transforms into one of the cyborgs, too.  Bastard.
    Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Floppypants

I draw the line after beating Shang Tsung.  They're not fun and I don't improve my game while fighting them, so there's no point.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Bestostero

i did this, i beat every character with my favorite character then purposely lose on Shao Kahn then beat it with another character to see their ending, that way i can max my favorite blood spill/fatality/etc and get the alternate costume/ending for a character i dont like

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

I was able to do it. It was pretty tedious, but I just switched off my brain and went through the motions. It helped that I kinda went through a Giant Bombcast Marathon during it. It helped.

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sumbog

Ya I cannot get past  khan on expert, I just can't. I've resorted to just beating it all on normal to see the endings.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bestostero
    @Sumbog said:
    " Ya I cannot get past  khan on expert, I just can't. I've resorted to just beating it all on normal to see the endings. "
    ouch, why would you even want to beat it on expert with everyone, after i get my favorites out of the way, its beginner for everyone else, i hate playing certain characters too much to try lol
    Petturi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Petturi

Just do the team ladder, you only see 1 ending, but you get both characters ending.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bestostero
    @Petturi said:
    " Just do the team ladder, you only see 1 ending, but you get both characters ending. "
    But you'll only get one Alternate costume if you do it that way, although most people unlock the costumes in krypt, either way lol
    JJGIANT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By JJGIANT

I've said this before and I'll say it again, Shao Khan singlehandedly ruins all facets of MK's single player.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I have to agree, I really lost interest in completing the ladder mode because of the bosses simply being no fun to play.  You can set the difficulty down to easy, but then the regular fights are just so easy there's no more fun.

It's a shame the bosses are so sucky, they're really my only complaint with the game.
    eezo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By eezo

if you're playing just for the endings just put the game on Beginner/1Round fights... takes about 8ish minutes to get the entire ladder

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously.  They're easy as hell when you cheese them, but some characters you just can't cheese well with it seems.  It's just boring and Shang Tsung should be the final boss in ladder and have two more regular match ups.  Or they could just make the last two be fun.  Still, hell of a game.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Shao Kahn is a bitch, I hate fighting him so much it takes the fun out of the game.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By spankingaddict

Yeah I agree too. I HATE SHAO KAHN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By damswedon

Goro and Kintaro are moderately hard to beat.

Shao Kahn's difficulty depends on the fighter your using.
    Shang Tsung however is a bitch to beat at the best of times.
    craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By craigbo180

After you have done it a few times you will be completely familiar with the bosses, I play on medium and don't have any trouble with the bosses and have done it on hard once. Once I have been through with everyone I will probably try the hardest difficulty.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Yanngc33

The bosses are the literal worst part of this game

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixrevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By fenixrevolution

I just think Shao Kahn is a chore, because I constantly have to tip toe around him or else get pummeled. Kintaro and Goro have became ridiculously easy after multiple playthroughs of the ladder. Shang Tsung is always hit or miss though, sometimes I walk through him, other times I fight tooth and nail to win.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Bestostero

Kintaro is the only one that gives me trouble, everyone else is pretty straight forward i think

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MikkaQ

Yeah I don't know how I did that with other fighting games. Oh I had a lot of time to waste in high school. 

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By NMC2008

You gotta cheese the bosses, sure, I don't like doing it but that's what has to be done, just cheese em with a basic combo and some jumping skill and it's done! I only have Sheeva and Quan Chi left.

Verit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By Verit
    @xobballox said:
    " Seriously.  They're easy as hell when you cheese them, but some characters you just can't cheese well with it seems.  It's just boring and Shang Tsung should be the final boss in ladder and have two more regular match ups.  Or they could just make the last two be fun.  Still, hell of a game. "
    This is probably one of the best ideas they could of done. 

As for the ladder, I just changed the game settings to 1 round/beginner modes so I can burn through the ladder each time. Only annoying part is that Shao Kahn can still wreck your shit if he touches you. Only good part is that he doesn't have his hammer throw on beginner so you can just get ranged and crouch the entire time and wait for the taunt. 

Goro and Kitaro are still retarded chores but at least I've fought Kitaro enough times that I basically have that fight down. 

Shang Tsung is a bit weird because I can wail on him but his AI can get to be very smart and just combo me with normal moves + flying skulls. It's really annoying that he'll be able to transform into two random people throughout the fight, making it a bit random. At least Shang Tsung follows the same rules of combat as the other fighters. Shang Tsung really should of been the final boss of arcade mode.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.