The I Hate Shao Kahn Club

  • 150 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Posted by Generic_Ninja (129 posts) -

Eff Shao Kahn and every possible hammer throw he makes.
#2 Posted by Scalptre (62 posts) -

Fo sho!

#3 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Just gotta cheap him out.

#4 Posted by Gargantuan (1881 posts) -

It's fun to bicycle kick his face though.

#5 Edited by TekZero (2663 posts) -

Seriously.  I just sit on the other side of the screen and shoot projectiles at his face. 



Cheap ass bitch. 
#6 Posted by Mutley (300 posts) -

He throws a hammer that you can't block from and gets you stunned for a while.

He can keep doing that charge move on you without a opportunity to get out of it 


AND he has an xray that will take up half of your life.

He's such a pain to fight.
#7 Posted by Bestostero (2758 posts) -

Shao Kahn is sexy! he shirtless and has no pants on, plus he has random sex slaves for his victory pose, how can you not like him!? :D

#8 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@RedDragon123: If you're playing a character with a teleport just wait until he attacks then teleport behind him. And repeat. I got so pissed at fighting him as Raiden, but when I teleported behind him and sweeped him repeatedly I got 2 flawless victories on him. 
#9 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Shao Kahn is cheap as Hell in this game and I had to resort to being cheap and cheesing it as well.

Didn't feel like you used any of the skill you had accrued over the course of the game and rather you just cheating the AI.
Big blemish on a rather great endgame
#10 Posted by SolidestChimp (154 posts) -

makes me glad people cant play as him online lol :/

#11 Posted by TekZero (2663 posts) -

It sucks, but it's the blight of any fighting game.  The end bosses are always huge cheap ass bastards.  Where you find the one powerful attack that works and spam the shit out of it. 

#12 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -


I don't mind his hammers so much as his fucking spears.

 

#13 Posted by Sanious (793 posts) -
@TeflonBilly said:
" Shao Kahn is cheap as Hell in this game and I had to resort to being cheap and cheesing it as well.
Didn't feel like you used any of the skill you had accrued over the course of the game and rather you just cheating the AI.
Big blemish on a rather great endgame
"
This is how I feel. When I got to the end of story mode I was so pissed at it and felt like it really dropped a few notches because of how terrible cheap and unnecessarily hard he was. I like difficulty when it's actual difficult, not when it's cheap. And I hate resorting to having to cheap it out just to win.
#14 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

I'm definitely joining this club, but I hate him less than I did before. Now I just counter with my own cheap moves by moving away from him and waiting for him to taunt then I just spam a ranged attack, you just need to duck under the spears and jump over the hammers.

#15 Posted by blueduck (964 posts) -
@Sanious said:
" @TeflonBilly said:
" Shao Kahn is cheap as Hell in this game and I had to resort to being cheap and cheesing it as well.
Didn't feel like you used any of the skill you had accrued over the course of the game and rather you just cheating the AI.
Big blemish on a rather great endgame
"
This is how I feel. When I got to the end of story mode I was so pissed at it and felt like it really dropped a few notches because of how terrible cheap and unnecessarily hard he was. I like difficulty when it's actual difficult, not when it's cheap. And I hate resorting to having to cheap it out just to win. "
I love when people say "I like difficulty when it's actually difficult not cheap" because what they really mean is "I consider myself someone who is skilled at video games but this was too hard for me therefore I will come up with reasons as to why its cheap." 
#16 Posted by FirePrince (1763 posts) -

The only way I beat him Hard and up was with a friend in tag.That dude's a bitch.

#17 Posted by HadesTimes (802 posts) -

All that needs to happen is that every boss character in this game needs to lose their temporary invincibly flash and they would all be fine.  It was a silly thing to do to begin with. 

#18 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -
@blueduck said:
" I love when people say "I like difficulty when it's actually difficult not cheap" because what they really mean is "I consider myself someone who is skilled at video games but this was too hard for me therefore I will come up with reasons as to why its cheap."  "
Well, in this case it was more the fact that I'd played through the rest of the game doing combos and conserving meter to bust out X-Rays or Enhanced moves when needed and when I kept getting my ass handed to me by Shao Kahn I just ended up doing teleport, uppercut, lightning bolt ad nauseum.
Hence why I found it unfulfilling.
#19 Posted by damswedon (3174 posts) -

In MK2 he did 30% damage with every hit. They nerfed Shao Kahn.

#20 Posted by StingerMK2 (386 posts) -

only took me FOUR FUCKING HOURS to beat him with Raiden last night, luckily i was only really playing it whilst listening to the Hardcore Dave radio shows, i was so on autopilot by the end i hadnt even realised i had won the first round when i got the second one, bout shit my pants, just glad its over with, what iv played against him on the arcade ladder doesnt seem as bad, 

#21 Posted by Sanious (793 posts) -
@blueduck said: 
I love when people say "I like difficulty when it's actually difficult not cheap" because what they really mean is "I consider myself someone who is skilled at video games but this was too hard for me therefore I will come up with reasons as to why its cheap."  "

Uh, not at all. 

His moves do massive damage, he has armor on all his special moves, he has a move that stuns you which is another guaranteed hit which means 50% of your health at least. His projectiles are probably faster than more than half the cast. I will admit straight up that it takes no skill to beat Shao Khan and I'm not a 'highly' skilled gamer at all. I enjoy a challenge when I feel it's legitimate and I don't find this legitimate.
#22 Posted by Bestostero (2758 posts) -

 Shao Kahn says "It's official, this club sucks"

just kidding...  :P

#23 Posted by XNaphryz (76 posts) -

  @StingerMK2 said:

" only took me FOUR FUCKING HOURS to beat him with Raiden last night, luckily i was only really playing it whilst listening to the Hardcore Dave radio shows, i was so on autopilot by the end i hadnt even realised i had won the first round when i got the second one, bout shit my pants, just glad its over with, what iv played against him on the arcade ladder doesnt seem as bad,  "

I actually found him easier with Raiden than in the previous fights. All you need to do is hang back as far as you can, avoid projectiles, and when you see an opening teleport behind him and uppercut. Then move back again and repeat. If he ever gets too close either teleport behind and move away or do an air torpedo to fly past him tot he other side.
#24 Posted by Fbomb (1168 posts) -
@blueduck said:
" @Sanious said:
" @TeflonBilly said:
" Shao Kahn is cheap as Hell in this game and I had to resort to being cheap and cheesing it as well.
Didn't feel like you used any of the skill you had accrued over the course of the game and rather you just cheating the AI.
Big blemish on a rather great endgame
"
This is how I feel. When I got to the end of story mode I was so pissed at it and felt like it really dropped a few notches because of how terrible cheap and unnecessarily hard he was. I like difficulty when it's actual difficult, not when it's cheap. And I hate resorting to having to cheap it out just to win. "
I love when people say "I like difficulty when it's actually difficult not cheap" because what they really mean is "I consider myself someone who is skilled at video games but this was too hard for me therefore I will come up with reasons as to why its cheap."  "
Not entirely true. If you fight someone at the end of a fighting game, the character should be just as balanced as the other fighters that are selectable. Forcing players to encounter a fight that no longer uses the same rule-set the rest of the game has makes it feel cheap and unfair. It's really not what anyone likes about fighting games, because the fighting style required for a boss will never be used for anything else in the rest of the game, and typically requires one or two repeated attacks and a war of attrition between their larger healthbar, and unavoidable attacks. Every character should be selectable for balanced online-play. If a developer can't making fighting AI hard enough within its own rule-set, who cares? It's a story mode in a fighting game. The real challenge will come vs other players either locally or online.
#25 Posted by n00d13z (245 posts) -

I just waited around for him to taunt then would do a throw. Worked pretty well for me. If I was too far away, projectile. Though I hate his shoulder charge more than anything.

#26 Posted by FritzDude (2253 posts) -

Nut Punch   him to the ground.

 

#27 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3019 posts) -
@Fbomb said:
who cares? It's a story mode in a fighting game. 
This right here?  Terrible way to look at things, in my opinion.  Goro, Kintaro, Shao Kahn, they're all supposed to be the high-end badasses of the Mortal Kombat universe.  They specifically made them hit harder, react faster, and in general be complete pains in the asses to beat because that's how they're portrayed.  You can still get your challenge from online fighting, without the bosses.  They were never intended to be balanced.  That's why they're the bosses, and it's why the Boss version of Shang Tsung can do things that the playable one can't.

I'm NOT saying Shao Kahn isn't cheap.  Of course he is.  He's goddamn Shao Kahn, do you expect him not to fill you with spears and throw magic hammers at you all day long?
#28 Posted by logson (521 posts) -
@Bloodgraiv3 said:
"


I don't mind his hammers so much as his fucking spears.

 

"
I'm just the opposite. His spears can be blocked, ducked under, or jumped over. The hammers are unblockable, and some characters can't duck under them.

Without a teleporting super, I am not crazy enough to beat Shao Kahn. I've been playing a lot of Sonya, and she lacks both a teleport and the ability to duck under his hammers. Super annoying.

Also, what's up with his sporadic taunting?  I feel I'm always dashing back or jumping away from him until he taunts, so I'd be surprised to find out the taunting is triggered. It seems the round-to-round taunt frequency is all over the place.
#29 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -
#30 Posted by Skullomania (135 posts) -
@xhavoc86 said:
" Shao Kahn is sexy! he shirtless and has no pants on, plus he has random sex slaves for his victory pose, how can you not like him!? :D "
GTFO! *points to the door*
#31 Posted by Bestostero (2758 posts) -
@Skullomania said:
" @xhavoc86 said:
" Shao Kahn is sexy! he shirtless and has no pants on, plus he has random sex slaves for his victory pose, how can you not like him!? :D "
GTFO! *points to the door* "
but whyyyyy??? D:
#32 Posted by Skullomania (135 posts) -
@xhavoc86 said:
" @Skullomania said:
" @xhavoc86 said:
" Shao Kahn is sexy! he shirtless and has no pants on, plus he has random sex slaves for his victory pose, how can you not like him!? :D "
GTFO! *points to the door* "
but whyyyyy??? D: "
You know why... now, G.T.F.O!

I'm calling for a motion to have xhavoc86 banned from all further IHSK club meetings/gatherings/discussions.
#33 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

He's easy as fuck.  Spam that idiot and he's stupid.

SRK and TYM showed how you can beat him close to flawless most the time.  It's easy as fuck once you know how to exploit it.

#34 Posted by Miketakon (513 posts) -

EFF HIM.

#35 Posted by ajamafalous (11845 posts) -
@TekZero said:
" It sucks, but it's the blight of any fighting game.  The end bosses are always huge cheap ass bastards.  Where you find the one powerful attack that works and spam the shit out of it.  "
Basically this. I go into any fighting game with the expectation that the boss will be incredibly cheap and that you have to find some attack that works that you can spam while trying your best to avoid getting hit. You can't fight a fighting game boss like a normal fight, because they'll roll you.
#36 Posted by TekZero (2663 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
" @TekZero said:
" It sucks, but it's the blight of any fighting game.  The end bosses are always huge cheap ass bastards.  Where you find the one powerful attack that works and spam the shit out of it.  "
Basically this. I go into any fighting game with the expectation that the boss will be incredibly cheap and that you have to find some attack that works that you can spam while trying your best to avoid getting hit. You can't fight a fighting game boss like a normal fight, because they'll roll you. "
Yeah.  The thing at the end of Tekken 6 comes to mind as a supreme example.   That was even worse than Khan. 
#37 Posted by JackSukeru (5903 posts) -

He's fine as long as you've got a projektile that comes out faster than he can throw his spears,

Also his taunts are a godsend. But yeah, Goro is a lot more fun to fight.
#38 Posted by big_jon (5709 posts) -

I think that he is the weakest part of the entire game, I don't even want to play through again because of how retarded he was.

#39 Posted by Moth_Pope (451 posts) -
@CL60:  Yeah that's what it's come down to for me, using cheap attacks to take him down. Beating it with Noob was difficult but it was easier with Smoke some how. He's faster I guess.
#40 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -

Hey, man, I don't mind fighting him. It's just that he has chained up bitches, crawling-up-to-and-hugging-his-leg bitches, genetically modified bitches, bitch-daughters, and resurrected bitches. It's alright though. He's really easy to beat.

#41 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -
@TekZero said:
" Yeah.  The thing at the end of Tekken 6 comes to mind as a supreme example.   That was even worse than Khan.  "
Oh man, that crystal dragon mess is terrible. 
#42 Posted by pornstorestiffi (4909 posts) -
@damswedon said:
" In MK2 he did 30% damage with every hit. They nerfed Shao Kahn. "
Yeah Shao Kahn was a bastard in MK3, but Kintaro was a douchebag too. Pretty much every boss in MK 1,2,3 where annoying.
#43 Posted by N7 (3573 posts) -

I had an idea that playing Tag Ladder and using the character you want to beat it with, and Liu Kang(His fireball projektiles are the best) and lower him down to one hit to go, and switch from Liu Kang to the other character.

Would this work?

#44 Edited by Crono (2639 posts) -

Some tips that might be useful:

If you have a teleport ability time it so that you use that ability right as Shao Khan is starting his "throwing" animation - works for either spears or hammers. (this technique works brilliantly with Raiden btw)
You will eventually lose to Shao Khan enough that you should be able to identify his attack animations the very second he begins. Use the sound and visual cues to your advantage and cast your teleport ability then and follow up with either a combo or a knock-back attack. Repeat throughout the fight.

If you do not have a character with a teleport skill then create distance between yourself and Shao Khan. Full screen is best. Then use your projectile abilities. You can duck under spears and you can jump over hammers. As long as you aren't locked in an animation yourself, you should be able to easily avoid Shao Khan's projectiles. Don't let him lock you into the corner, however. If he is charging at you, be prepared to leap over him and start this process over from the opposite side.

Honestly, once you can identify his projectile animations the moment they begin, and realize how to use that information to time your attacks, Shao Khan is a push-over on all difficulties - but he will take time and patience to defeat.

Goro is all about timing as well. Duck under his projectile and leap whenever he leaps.  I try to stay away from fighting him up close because of his 3-hit combo that he loves to smash my face in with.

Kintaro is about the easiest of the 3. He likes to use his ability where he flies up into the air and falls back down on you. This is the easiest to counter ability with any character. When he leaps up and leaves the screen, wait a fraction of a second and jump straight up (that means just press UP - you do NOT want to jump forward or backward) and immediately hit a punch button. You will smack Kintaro to the ground and he will bounce up into the air giving you an opening for a follow up attack. You have to be quick about your follow-up because you will still be falling when he initially bounces - but you will always have enough time to get in a projectile attack if nothing else.

The technique for dealing with Kintaro's 'jump' ability also works well against other heroes who teleport in from the top of the screen such as Sheeva and Quan Chi (although Quan Chi is a bit harder to pull this off against IMO).

#45 Posted by afrokola (547 posts) -

Shao Kahn is awesome! Lightning bolt rocks his socks off!

#46 Posted by Sitoxity (551 posts) -

FUCKING RAGE.

I hate him. SO FUCKING MUCH.

I had a hard enough time with Liu Kang, but the Raiden fight is harder. Goddamn him.

#47 Posted by TJ311 (415 posts) -

I would like to be part of this club so yea

FUCK SHAO KAHN!!

took me two hours to beat him with Raiden. I was cool with Lui Kang and Kung Lao but Raiden was the fucking worst.

#48 Posted by GrandMarshal (387 posts) -

I want in on this club, i hate is hammer stun throws, his 50% damage x-ray and how he flashes gold on some hits for no reason and doesnt get stunned

#49 Posted by Dig_Douglas_III (50 posts) -

Teleport, Uppercut.  Teleport, Uppercut.  Teleport, Uppercut.  Teleport, Uppercut.  Teleport, Uppercut.  Teleport, Uppercut.  Teleport, Uppercut.  Teleport, Uppercut.  Teleport, Uppercut.  

#50 Posted by Skytylz (4029 posts) -

It probably took me about 3 hours to beat him, but it was worth it.  I returned the game after I did it, it was a good rental and I'm happy I rented it!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.