Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

The xbox 360 controller D-Pad

MrCandleguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By MrCandleguy

From what i have heard the D-pad on the 360 controller really isnt that good for this game. I have SFVI and i play that using the analog stick. Is playing with the analog stick alright for this game? Or will i have to deal with the D-pad.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Slaker117

If you can play SF4 with the stick, you shouldn't have much of a problem here because basic execution is easier, but I've been doing fine using the d-pad. It's not that bad.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

I much prefer the 360's D-Pad to its analog stick. In my experience, it feels every bit as precise as it needs to be. 

Furthermore, I own both the rotating D-Pad controller and the standard D-Pad controller and I actually favor the standard to the new rotating edition. It might come down, at the end of the day, to personal preference and the condition of your respective controller. But you'll be fine, generally speaking. 
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman

I didn't think anyone played fighting games with analog sticks.

According to Jeff (as I don't have the game) the d-pad is fine. I think Brad prefers the new controller with the morphing d-pad, but yeah, I think it's just fine.
    MrCandleguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrCandleguy
    @JJWeatherman: Haha well I do, SFVI has a lot of Zig Zag moves and sweeps. I find a quarter turn with the analog is easier to throw a fireball than a D-pad. hurts my fingers. Or im doing it wrong.
    Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Barrock

Not a fan of the stick in MK, but the pad works just fine for me.

thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By thebatmobile

As others have already mentioned, the standard D-pad works just fine, great even.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I play with the analogue stick and manage just find.  All of the attacks are fairly simple to pull off, none of them require diagonal inputs or anything like that, so the 360 controller isn't a problem at all here.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Contro

Try and get a 360 pad with the improved D-pad, or just acquire a Street Fighter IV Mad Catz pad, Alternatively, a Razer Onza, which is awesome btw.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Yanngc33

Analogue is fine better that broken D-pad anyways

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Slaker117
    @Contro said:
    " Try and get a 360 pad with the improved D-pad, or just acquire a Street Fighter IV Mad Catz pad, Alternatively, a Razer Onza, which is awesome btw. "
    My Onza was janky as hell. Most may be fine, but I don't trust the QA on those any more so I returned it and bought the transforming d-pad controller. Much happier with that.
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By chrissedoff

the analog stick is not the best way to play this game, in my opinion. unlike street fighter, which uses quarter circles, half circles, 360's and charges, this game uses "down, back" or "back, forward' (no charge) and "forward, forward" type inputs. they can be a lot harder to do on an analog stick than on a d-pad. i bought the playstation version of the game specifically so i could use that controller, because i know there is no way i could ever do that on an xbox controller.

DANW547

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DANW547

Going from playing the PS3 demo a bunch with strictly the dpad and then doing the same on 360, I found that the 360's dpad is less than perfect for the game.

TJ311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TJ311

The d-pad works better than the analog stick 95% of the time. the other 5% is for easy "quarter" turns for specials.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @SRanker said:
    " Theres no way to play MK9 successfully with the 360s default dpad. The 360's default dpad is a flawed design that is pretty much useless for any game. However, if you pick up one of these  http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0041HROGG/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=485327511&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000B6MLTQ&pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_r=0QBETDZYG7M55CD35MQSYou'll be in absolute heaven. It's basically the single best dpad for a fighting game ever. It controls even better than the TE fightstick for MK imo. "
    You could also just buy one of the Street Fighter fight pads, they're going for pretty cheap these days, have a great d-pad and works great for MK.
    Though I'd still say the normal pad is fine.
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Getz

I cannot play fighting games with the xbox d-pad "disc" thing. I use analog and that works perfectly fine for me. The only issue is the fatalities; I have to use the d-pad for those. The way I do it is a translate the arrow directions in to a smooth motion, like in street fighter. So for example, down then right is just quarter circle forward and it works just fine. 

Brad_360i

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Brad_360i

If I'm honest, for this game I haven't had too much trouble with the D-Pad, but with street fighter I just find it unusable!

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By Chummy8

Works just fine for me.  I'm not nearly hardcore enough to get a stick. 

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Contro
    @Slaker117 said:
    " @Contro said:
    " Try and get a 360 pad with the improved D-pad, or just acquire a Street Fighter IV Mad Catz pad, Alternatively, a Razer Onza, which is awesome btw. "
    My Onza was janky as hell. Most may be fine, but I don't trust the QA on those any more so I returned it and bought the transforming d-pad controller. Much happier with that. "

I've never once owned a Razer product that has quality issues, everything I've bought to date has been of exceptional quality, and the includes my recent purchase of the Razer Onza. 
    Verit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Verit

As others have stated, 360 d-pad is fine in MK because it is merely pure horizontal or vertical commands whereas in games like SF, the d-pad falls short because it requires quarter spins and shit like that. I have been perfectly fine with the d-pad but I will admit I feel there is a little bit of inaccuracy that eventually happens playing with the dpad. I'll eventually grab a Razor Onza though to mend this issue.

RagOnAStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By RagOnAStick

Its been pissing me off while playing mortal kombat, i choose to blame the d pad because its easier then excepting the truth that i just suck

solidwolf52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By solidwolf52

i've been using the morphing controller with no issues.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By toowalrus

The 360 D-pad is just fine, I used it up until, well, today. I used the 30 Amazon dollars I got for buying Portal and MK to buy one of those cool Silver controllers, and it's pretty great. It's my favorite controller type, with a rad color scheme, and totally adequate D-Pad.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By craigbo180

If you play street fighter with a stick you can play this with a stick, many of my friends play with a stick because they are predominantly tekken and soul calibur players.

blake_brown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By blake_brown

i have the new silver control with the rotating d-pad and it's been quite useful.  i do find myself switching back and forth between the d-pad and the stick depending of the complexity of the move i'm trying to do.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By csl316

The d-pad is workable, but me and my buddy occasionally started jumping around while trying to do a simple fatality.

So I tried my SFIV fightpad today and went 6-0 against him.  So that's my evidence that the d-pad is a valid excuse.

Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Orange

Tried using the D-Pad a few times... never again will I go back to it.

Bravestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bravestar

I use the analog stick for street fighter too and I had to switch to the d-pad for this game. Usually I hate the d-pad, but I think MK is easier with it. I had the feeling it picks up some weird inputs, when I used the analog stick.
    Also you don't have to hold a direction, you just need to tap it, unlike street fighter, where you have to have your finger on the stick the whole time(to block, to charge or doing the motions). The d-pad still is shitty, but it's bearable in this game I guess.

lclay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By lclay

Been using the standard xbox d-pad controller and it's fine when you're not stressed out but when you're in the heat of battle with sweaty palms it's far too easy to rock up instead of back, etc and it makes doing special attacks under stress very hard.

I have since ordered one of the silver transforming controllers, which is extra cool because I needed a new charger anyway.
    JJGIANT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32  Edited By JJGIANT

Not to flare up another platform wars discussion but thats the beauty of the PS3 version. The d-pad feels really good. Now this might not be the case for everyone but as someone who played SF4 with an xbox controller it feels like a big improvement.
    williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By williamhenry

I think the standard D-pad is garbage. Sometimes it takes up to 5 attempts to pull off a move. I'm clearly hitting the right buttons but you have to be so precise that it often registers the wrong thing. I think I'll have to bite the bullet and get the new controller to see if that helps.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Scullinator

I have always had problems with my controllers on my xbox.  my analog sticks drift and the dpad is clunky.  I have been debating purchasing this new controller with the morphing dpad but Im not big on the color scheme (I want colored buttons) and the price.  Anyone know if they plan on coming out with morphing controllers with a different color scheme?  I dont know if I want to wait any longer.  I have stopped playing this game debating to switch to using my arcade stick or pick up a new controller.

thunderPIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By thunderPIN

I actually have a problem with the D-Pad when playing Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. When I go to do a move that involves pressing right or left in the combination, it sometimes detects it as an up press and the character jumps. It is really irritating. I havn't tried the new 360 controllers yet but I hear the D-Pad is greatly improved.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
    deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I've been playing this with the standard 360 controller d-pad and doing well, but I think I'm going to mod my spare fight stick to make it more MK-friendly. In it's current configuration, I can't seem to get the hang of it, whereas it feels great in Street Fighter and similar fighting games.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Scullinator

Need Opinions Please....

I found a Street Fighter Controller pad at a local GS for $30.  Trying to decide between this and the new controller with the Mighty Morphing D-Pad.  I could always use a new controller with analog sticks that dont drift but I have always wanted to pick up one of these SF 6 button controllers.  I really need something to play MK with, so I guess my real question is which has the better D-pad?????

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By laserbolts
    I've okayed quite a bit of mk9 using the 360 d pad and it isn't that bad. Sure when it comes to d pads it's pretty bad but it's still manageable. I hate when I try todo a fatality and end up jumping for no apparent reason it drives me nuts. I have the fight stick but it's the first one I have ever used since back in the street fighter 2 arcade days. I cannot get used to it though.
    Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#39  Edited By Sooperspy
    @WR311 said:
    " The d-pad works better than the analog stick 95% of the time. the other 5% is for easy "quarter" turns for specials. "
    cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By cinemandrew

I was having trouble with the old 360 controller. It wasn't terrible, but it was frustrating at times. I picked up the new silver controller, and have had much greater success with that. I haven't tried a fight stick, but my buddy picked up the tournament edition one, and is really enjoying it. He's a big SFIV fan, and he plays that with a stick too.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By soldierg654342

The thing about SF4 is that a lot of the inputs are quarter circles, which work just fine with analog sticks.. Not that those arn't in the game, but there are also a lot of  forward+forward and forward+back inputs in this game that can be tricky with an analog stick. If you can play SS4 with the analog stick, then you should be fine, but it's it not a straight 1:1 thing. 

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Beaudacious

I play using the analog stick, and have no issues. You might need to get use to it, i think the 360 analog stick is really sensitive.

fang273

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By fang273

Get a hitbox and be beast.

PS3 dpad is superior to either 360 controller, though in casual play either is suitable. Even then, it's hard enough to play something like raiden with lots of moves that hit opposite directions (up-down, left-right) on either pad. When you're trying to link decent sized combos, fighting your controller is the last thing you want to do.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Scullinator

well I ended up getting the controller with the new morphing dpad and it is so much better.  Perfect for Mortal Kombat.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.